See Tour Dates

The time for the CIA demo and book signing on Monday, December 8 has been changed to 11:00 am. It is open to the public.

List of Books

Oct 15, 2005 | From the kitchen of Rose

Here are a list of Rose's Books:

The Cake Bible

The Bread Bible

Rose's Christmas Cookies

The Pie and Pastry Bible

There are many more: See the rest of Rose's books. You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for and buy any of Rose's books.

Comments

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Ian
12/29/2012 01:41 PM

Hi Ian,
We have found that most butter and oil layer cakes can be baked in a bundt pan.
However, this cake is a hybrid chiffon cake and may not adapt well to a bundt pan. Also, because the batter only fills a layer pan with a thin layer of batter, the curvature of a bundt pan will add depth to the batter. You could try decreasing the batter's ingredients by 25% and see what happens. The baking time will increase, but the baking temperature can be left the same. In Rose's Heavenly Cakes, we have made this virtually every way~the German Chocolate, syrupped for the Deep Passion Wedding Cake, sandwiched with ice cream, and even cupcakes. We just did not explore the bundt or tube pan route, so we hope you will experiment with it and tell us what you find.
Rose & Woody

Hey Rose was thinking about baking your German Chocolate Cake From your Heavenly Cakes and wanted to know if its possible to do it in a bundt pan and if so do i have to change the temperature and the baking time. Also for the would the German chocolate filling be to much just for the top of the cake,if its not possible i totally understand and will just go and get me two cake pans.

kishepp, i love the flavor of sweetened condensed milk and it works in this recipe.

note: there is a temporary glitch so that my responses are appearing at the bottom of the postings instead of right after the recipe.

Hi Rose, I wanted to ask you about this filling recipe. Can you tell me why you chose to use sweetened condensed milk. I'd like to know your thoughts regarding this, as I've been using a recipe from cooksillustrated for the last few years (that uses evaporated milk and brown sugar) but after I came upon yours, I'm tempted to try it this year. Thanks for your time explaining this to me :) Kim in Slovakia
PS I LOVE the new look on your site

Beth Glixon
Beth Glixon
10/ 6/2009 10:32 AM

I bought Rose's new book, and have so far made two cakes (2 more than I have made in the past 2 years). I already own the Bread Bible and the Pie and Pastry bible. Previously I had baked from a library copy of the Cake bible. Now I think I too must buy a copy of the Cake Bible, Sara, as the help and information contained there is unbeatable. P.s. after reading the Heavenly Cakes I have ordered the lemon extract (hasn't come yet) and a new J.B. Prince Whisk. And 2 7 inch pans, and Rose's silicone strip. I'm certainly helping out the economy. I think I'll get a lot of use out of the lemon extract, and perhaps not "waste" so many lemons when I only need the zest. Thanks, Rose, for recommending that product. Beth

I am planning on making the german chocolate cake from the new book for a party on Saturday night. If I make the filling frosting ahead of time (Wed night), will it still be fresh and usable by then?

oh my goodness sara to have both books at once! what a lot of cake adventures ahead!

Rose, I just want to tell you that you are awesome! I purchased the Cake Bible about 2 months ago and I am baking up a storm! I am proud to say that I am now a proud owner of Heavenly Cakes! I can't wait to snuggle up in bed and go through it page by page. Thanks!

Chris, here is the recipe for Rose's German choc cake filling. If you would like to read the entire posting, scroll down to the bottom of this page to Aug 30, 2006.

Classic German Chocolate Cake Filling
Makes: scant 3 cups/27 ounces/670 grams
INGREDIENTS MEASUREMENTS WEIGHT
room temperature volume ounces grams
pecan pieces (medium-coarse) 1 cup 4 ounces 112 grams
sweetened condensed milk, 1 can 1 liquid cup plus 3 tablespoons 14 ounces 396 grams
3 to 4 large egg yolks 3 1/2 tablespoons 2 ounces 56 grams
butter, unsalted, cut into pieces and softened 8 tablespoons 4 ounces 112 grams
pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon . .
Baker’s Angel Flake coconut or Mounds 1 3/4 cups 4.5 ounces 130 grams

Toast the Pecans
Spread the pecans evenly on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.

In a medium, heavy saucepan, whisk together the condensed milk, and egg yolks. Add the butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a silicone spatula, reaching well to the edges and bottom. As soon as it starts to simmer, lower the heat or remove the pan from the heat occasionally to keep it from cooking too fast or burning. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened enough to pool slightly on the surface before disappearing. (about 175ºF.) It still will be pourable.

Stir in the vanilla, coconut, and pecans, and continue cooking on medium heat for one minute. Scrape the mixture into a large bowl (it will become tan and slightly translucent). Cover it with a towel, and allow it to cool to room temperature or just barely warm, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming. (It will take about 3 hours at room temperature but will reach spreading consistency faster if refrigerated or stirred over ice water for 5 minutes.) The filling thickens as it cools and if refrigerated for more than 2 hours will need to be softened over hot water or for a few seconds in the microwave.

Reply to this Posted by: Rose Levy Beranbaum | August 30, 2006 11:32 AM #

Hi Rose!

My husband and I love your cake bible and recently added the pastry and pie bible to our collection. I notice there is no German Chocolate Cake recipe, and I was wondering if you had a recommendation for filling. I was thinking of using your All American Chocolate Butter cake as the cake portion, but wanted to use a German Chocolate Filling for a friends birthday. I see you will have a recipe in your new book, which I look forward to!
Thanks!

that would be "rose's christmas cookies"! amazon or jessica's biscuit usually has it. so glad i could help--the worst thing is losing a recipe one loves.

phillip ford
phillip ford
07/13/2009 12:18 PM

hi rose i was wondering if you could help me . i currently have the cake bible and the pie and pastry bible , but back around 1990 91 i used a book of yours(unless i am mistaken) with some slice recipies in eg caramel with oat base , and a lemon bar with short bread , ihave been trying to track it down of ages any info would be greatly appreciated.
kind regards,
phil.

I'm just about to click on the preorder button for Rose's Heavenly Cakes at Amazon, but I would like clarification - Does the new book have all of the information from the Cake Bible plus extra goodies, or are there only some components of the original in the new book?

Also, have you noticed the prices several of the used book sellers are asking for your books? $144!!!!! I wonder if anyone's paying that price when they can get a new copy for $26. Too bad you can't get commission on the higher price.:)

Norma Marshall
Norma Marshall
06/ 2/2009 08:42 AM

Jacque's pie is awesome...a wonderful pie of beauty. Well done, Jacque

Oh, thank you so much! And I appreciate you letting me post the recipe. :)

And thanks to you, Patrincia :)

Lovely blog Jacque - I'm following you!

i hope everyone clicks on the link--it should have won first place--totally stunning!

yes--you have permission to post the fruit turnovers and thank you for asking.

First I have to say that I really appreciate your cookbooks and all of the wonderful information you put into them. I have all three of your "bibles" and refer to them often. Thank you.

Second, I am wondering if you would grant permission for me to post one of your recipes on my blog. I am thinking of making some of the Fruit Turnovers, found on page 134 of the "Pie and Pastry Bible", but would only post the recipe with your permission, of course. And I would give credit, naturally.

Lastly, I thought I'd share a post I did of your Open-Faced Designer Apple Pie. (I found a recipe online and linked to that.) I entered the apple pie in my monthly pie-baking blog event and was happy to walk away with first prize! Thanks to you :) Here's the post --> http://daisylanecakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/open-faced-designer-apple-pie.html

OK, take care and have a nice day,
Jacque Hutson

yes if you don't fill the pan more than 3/4 full.

Michelle Thomsen
Michelle Thomsen
02/20/2009 04:38 PM

You have made me a great baker and I thank you for this.

Can I use any of your recipes from the cake bible in a shaped bundt pan?

Vivian: Hi, because of copywrite laws,we don't post the recipes from Rose's books on the website. The mousseline butter cream recipe is in The Cake Bible...I've seen it in just about every book store and library I've ever been in. If you bake, you should definitely invest in a copy.

Mousseline buttercream frosting, may I have the recipe.

Thanks Rose! My coworker and I can hardly wait for it!

thanks for asking--the new book will have entirely new recipes and over 100 full pages of color photos. but the cake bible is the cake bible and as a reference i use it myself to create new things and understand old.

Hi, a coworker of mine introduced me to your wonderful books. I was just wondering if your new book "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" will feature all new recipes or some from "The Cake Bible"? Decisions of which to buy???? I'm for sure ordering the "The Pie & Pastry Bible"

thank you jona and thank you julie--i didn't even KNOW that amazon already has pre-order available.just last night i had a nightmare that the publisher went so far over budget they had to compromise the print quality and it was all hazy instead of the gorgeous book i know it's going to be! this must be separation anxiety though i'm far from separated..wait--a new term: transition anxiety! now that the book is going into design where making changes is less and less easy my concern for this beloved book grows. Not to worry: there are FOUR proofer readers plus me and the almost book is getting the royal treatment!

Norma, Amazon has "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" available for pre-order (thanks, Patrincia, for the heads up!). They have the publication date listed as Aug 24, 2009. We are all watching the production process and anticipating its release!

Norma Marshall
Norma Marshall
11/ 2/2008 12:21 PM

Rose, I was wondering when that complex cake book will be published. Thanks, always a fan, Norma

My mom bought The Cake Bible years ago, and as I grew up and started baking and experiementing in the kitchen, The Cake Bible became my go to book. I should have done more research and linked to your blog, because just a few days ago, I wrote a review about The Cake Bible, how wonderful and well detailed it is, even a beginner can understand, and how it helps me. Thank you, and I really love The Cake Bible!

Susan--the recipe is in the Cake Bible, and it is very easy to make!

I am proud owner of the Cake, Pie/Pastry and Bread Bibles -- just wanted to stop by and give thanks for your hard work on all of them. I took a leap of faith and put some rather expensive cheese in a recipe I hadn't tried before ("Cheddar Loaf"). Of course, since its your recipe, it came out absolutely *gorgeous* to the eye and the tastebuds. I would have taken a picture of it but my family inhaled it too quickly :)

Matthew, can you divulge the recipe for Rose's cream cheese buttercream (in your lemon blueberry cake). I do like the way yours holds its shape even when piped. I am having a family affair this weekend and would like to use this frosting on my cake. Thanks so much.
Susan

Thanks Tammy and Cathy--not a professional, just an enthusiastic amateur :)

I don't really have any great tips for photography because I just mostly play around until I get one I like. I do have one of those bendable desk lamps off to the left so I can position it as I like. I also take maybe 10 pictures and pick the one that comes out the best.

These are beautiful cakes, Matthew. Have you shared your tips on photographing before....? Do you have some lights that you use?

Wonderful job!

Matthew, you must be a professional baker/decorator. I have never seen such perfection and beauty. Excellent job!

Oh Matthew - I can't believe I missed those photos when I read this thread this morning... they are both absolutely STUNNING! I could dive right into that lemon cake. Very professional, great piping, fantastic photography - I could go on and on......

Matthew-gorgeous! And I'm sure they tasted wonderful too! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Jeannette & Rozanne. Here is a description of the components:

GCC
Perfect All-American Chocolate cake (2 1.5 layers), dark chocolate ganache (flavored lightly with Disaronno--makes a nice complement to the pecans), and Rose's GCC filing.

Lemon Blueberry
White Chocolate Whisper Cake (2 1.5 layers torted), lemon mousseline made with lemon juice, lemon oil, and limoncello, blueberry topping. The borders are actually Rose's cream cheese buttercream because I ran out of mousseline (probably because I divided the cakes). I put on the blueberries at room temperature, so they ran, but I liked how that looks. If you chill it first, then you will get clean slices.

You probably don't remember, but you pasted the filing recipe above in this thread. It is delicious! It seems funny to say this, but it is the second recipe I have made from your new book, but I believe this and the angel food cake are all that have managed to leak :)

matthew--never have i seen such an appetizing german choc. cake! it's stunning. but you wrote you used "rose's german choc. cake filling." i don't believe i've yet published it so were your referring to another rose?
p.s. there will be a luscious german chocolate cake recipe in the new book but it won't be as beautiful as this one!

Beautiful cakes Matthew and so is your photography!!!!

Which of Rose's chocolate cake recipes did you use?

Two absolutely beautiful Cakes! How clever you are, Matthew!

Two absolutely beautiful Cakes! How clever you are, Matthew!

I thought I would share a picture of the finished cake with Rose's German Chocolate Filing. I don't think I've had a better GCC:

German Chocolate Cake

I also made this last weekend after being tempted by the forum thread on lemon cakes. It is basically the swan lake cake, sans cygne, but I used mousseline with limoncello. I wanted to make the swans, but it poured all weekend, so I decided it was foolish to try to make them.

Lemon Blueberry Cake

It must be for 2 layers, filling only, unless I was overly generous with my layers, but it seemed about right.

Is the German chocolate cake filling above for a 2 or 3 layer cake?

Dear Rose,

I make and share your recipe for basic sourdough bread often. I have a friend who keeps asking me for the recipe, but it is so long that it would take me forever to type it all out. Is there a copy anywhere that can be printed out? I would buy him The Bread Bible, but he is a traveling missionary and the book is too big to carry around. I would love to share it with him.

Thanks!

Dear Rose:
I just checked your web-site and I am thinking in purchasing your cake bible book.I want to learn everything about baking cupcakes.Do you think I could use this book for that purpose? What would be the difference when it comes to cupcakes and cakes?.
Thank you.
Liana.

do tell how it turned out!

Thanks so much, Rose. You're the best!

xo
Jen

here's the compromise--i'll give you the filling. the cake itself is such a culinary breakthrough i cannot send it until the book comes out! but it will be delicious using your fav. chocolate cake.

since the 9th is coming up so soon i'm copying the filling into this posting though the chart doesn't copy well so you'll need to print this out and reformat--but all the ingredients are there.

Classic German Chocolate Cake Filling
Makes: scant 3 cups/27 ounces/670 grams
INGREDIENTS MEASUREMENTS WEIGHT
room temperature volume ounces grams
pecan pieces (medium-coarse) 1 cup 4 ounces 112 grams
3 to 4 large egg yolks 3 1/2 tablespoons 2 ounces 56 grams
butter, unsalted, cut into pieces and softened 8 tablespoons 4 ounces 112 grams
pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon . .
Baker's Angel Flake coconut or Mounds 1 3/4 cups 4.5 ounces 130 grams

Toast the Pecans

Dearest Rose...

My sister's 50th birthday is Sept. 9, and I've committed to making her childhood favorite-- German Chocolate Cake. My current plan presumes to cobble together your all-American chocolate cake and the best of the (out there) versions of coconut-caramel-pecan goo filling, BUT... short of betraying your own copyright, is there anything in the meantime you can share about your upcoming GCC recipe? I swear I'm all but in line to buy several dozen copies of the revised Cake Bible when it's published, so if that's an issue, I swear my lips are sealed!

xo
Jen

felecity, i'm going to frame this one so when i'm still up at 2 a.m. wondering why i'm doing this, i'll remember!!!

A Rose version of German Chocolate cake. Heaven. The waiting will be torture but I can tell already I'll treasure this book as much as I have The Cake Bible (my most used and enjoyed cookbook by several orders of magnitude). Probably the thing I love the most about it, apart from the impeccable instructions, is that I can always trust your palate. Your cakes are never too sweet, are always full of flavor, and have the perfect texture. I can always trust that your version is the best tasting possible.

All the best with this work. I can tell already by your enthusiasm for it that it's going to be a huge hit.

F

thanks felicity--indeed yes!!! i'm delighted to report that the new cake book is well underway and is projected to appear fall of 2008. it will be a 4 color book which means some aspect of every cake wil be photographed. i will soon post a photo of one of my favorite chefs holding a piece of the german chocolate cake which will be one of the stars of the collection. it's one of those cakes that benefited from about 15 tweaking tests and i'm thrilled with it.

Felicity Estrin
Felicity Estrin
05/ 5/2006 02:37 PM

A couple years back I had some correspondence with you. In those letters you mentioned that you thought your next cookbook could be some version of a revised and expanded Cake Bible. Is that still in the works? (Fingers and toes are crossed).

All the best,
Felicity

the recipe is in my book "the bread bible." and it's still the best corn sticks i've ever tasted!

Elizabeth Nichols
Elizabeth Nichols
03/22/2006 03:51 PM

Years ago I clipped a recipe from the L.A. Times for corn sticks with if I reacall correctly had fresh corn kernals and sour cream in addition to the normal ingredients...
I LOST it. Can you post it on your blog. It just read like such a great thing, and I love corn sticks. I believe you prefaced it with how you had to climb some earthquake damaged steps in a hotel in S.F. after the Loma Prieta quake to retrieve it.
Thanks