Splenda and Sugar Free Cakes

Nov 20, 2005 | From the kitchen of Rose

Amy Question:
I have a question about baking with Splenda. I have an at home cake business and just received an order where the customer would like a sugar free cake. She wants a carrot cake (1/4 sheet pan) with cream cheese frosting. I was reading all the information about Splenda on the Splenda website but thought perhaps I could spare myself a lot of experimenting and some money by asking - does anyone have tips for making a great sugar free carrot cake and sugar free cream cheese frosting?

Thanks so much for your time. As always, thank you for your wonderful recipes and helpful advice in your books.

Rose Reply:

what follows is a short piece on splenda that i wrote for fine cooking magazine a few years ago. i hope it helps. i know it won't answer your question about a sugar free recipe for these cakes but perhaps another blogger might have a recipe to offer.

My philosophy regarding sugar substitutes is that there is nothing like the real thing sweetie! As a general principal, it is better to have a small piece of something wonderful than a larger compromised portion. But when it comes to specific physical intolerances such as diabetes, there can be a valid case for sugar substitutes.

The problem with "sugar substitutes" is potential compromise of flavor and texture. Of all the sugar substitutes, Splenda, however, comes closest to sugar in both, constituting a significant culinary breakthrough. In industry, it has dramatically improved the flavor of many commercial products that require sweetener.

Because Splenda's flavor is so close to that of refined cane sugar, it makes an ideal substitute in a wide range of desserts where a precise crystalline structure is not essential, such as all manner of custards including ice cream (though sorbet will be less creamy), pastry creams, buttercreams, mousses, cheesecake, and even biscuits for short cake. But as in all substitutions, though it may be acceptable it is not identical. Sauces and custards may not be as thick and will probably cook slightly faster.

In traditional layer and sponge cakes, however, where the crystalline structure is needed for aeration, Splenda falls short because it will not result in the same volume. It will also not provide the moisture retentiveness and tenderness.

But wouldn't you rather have a wonderful slice of banana cream pie than a less than perfect piece of cake?

For tips regarding cooking and baking with Splenda refer to their website: www.splenda.com

Addendum: I have listed several websites on Sites I Like for those who are looking for recipes for specific needs such as: sugar substitutes, gluten free, low far, and lactose free.

Comments

I have used splenda with much success by following their on line directions for adding baking soda and powdered milk to your cake recipe. my humming bird cake and strawberry one are loved by sugar lovers and everyone else.

Cherry Garrity
Cherry Garrity in reply to comment from Schtef
04/22/2013 08:26 AM

If you are reading comments about Splenda and all the hoopla of being bad, the original article was written in 2005 when Splenda was relatively new , Since then new products have come and gone, Agave' and honeys plus Xylitol has been around for years as a sweetener for diabetics, they taste great and are sold in Health food stores ,Not dure if anyone is still following this post but thought I would add my 2 cents.

I obtained from splenda instructios for using their product instead of sugar. It is GREAT in ahumming bird cake. My nephew refuse to eat this cake with sugar asan ingredient. He is afraid sugar will ruin the taste. My strawberry cake with splenda is TOPS also. Both cakes must be refrigerated.

Wendy Knapp
Wendy Knapp
02/09/2013 07:46 PM

Any white cakes I make from scratch with Splenda will not rise. At first I thought it was my baking soda so I bought new baking soda. Is it because the Splenda does not work with the baking soda?

Some people are born with type one (juvenile) diabetes, or develop it because it is genetic/hereditary.
There are many factors to why somebody might get diabetes, and obesity is only one of them.
Also, "sugar is the number one cause of obesity?" Not sure where you're getting your facts from there...

Since obesity is the most common cause of diabetes whey wait until someone is diabetic to try to get a sugar-free or very low-sugar desert? Makes no sense. Sugar the the number one cause of obesity in America, people must take this epidemic seriously now, by 2030 42% of Americans will be clinically overweight or clinically obese....fact.

Hi I need a spice cake recipe for a diabetic friend who can have Splenda. Any thoughts? I need it right away. Shall start playing the meantime. How about a carmel burnt sugar type frosting--any one play with Splenda Brown Sugar? Thanks for any help you have.

Thanks,
Sugar Free Birthday Cakes for Diabetics

Hope u like pineapple!
1/2 c. Butter or margarine,softened. 1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
3 eggs. 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
1 c. Thawed frozen pineapple juice 1/4 tsp. Salt
From concentrate. 3 c. Shredded carrots
2 tsp. Vanilla Icing(recipe follows)
2 1/2 c. All purpose flour. 1/2 c. Chopped toasted pecans(optional)
2 tsps. Baking powder. Preheat oven to 350*
beat butter in large bowl until creamy. Blend in eggs, pineapple juice concentrate and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in carrots. Spread batter evenly into greased 12 X 8- inch pan. Bake 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Spread icing over cooled cake and sprinkle with pecans.
Icing
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, well drained
1 tsp. Vanilla
Combine all ingredients; mix well
Hi Linda I forgot, I also like to add 2 tablespoons
of splenda to batter when mixing, It's not very sweet so if you like a sweet batter use 3 or 4 tablespoons of splenda
6 egg whites or 1 cup egg substitute
1 cup No sugar added apple juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup water
3 cups unbleached white flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups raisins
2 cups shredded carrots (4-5 medium)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Stir together egg, apple juice concentrate, oil,applesauce and water. Set aside.

Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Put raisins in warm water to plump.

Meanwhile, grate carrots, and spray 2 round 9" cake pans with non-stick pan spray.

Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened. Drain raisins, and fold in carrots and raisins. Pour into cake pans, and bake at 350° F. for 25 to 30 minutes. Then reduce heat to 325° F. for 8 to 12 more minutes.

I made a few changes to this bitsy's recipe,

1. Instead of using 3 cups White flour I used 2 cups of white flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour

2.Instead of 1/4 cup of water i like to add no sugar added crushed pineapple with its juice.

3. To keep sugar grams down I use about 3/4 cup raisins not 2 cups. But when you add to batter check to see if there is enough in there for you or maybe you only need 1 or 1/2 cup.

4. I love to add about 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts in the batter when mixing

For the frosting..

Sugar-Free Fluffy Frosting

Frosts one 9x13 or one 2 layer cake
1 (1.4 oz.) pkg. sugar-free instant pudding mix (your choice of flavor but vanilla goes great with carrot cake.
1 3/4 cups milk
1 (8 oz.) package fatfree cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) container lite or sugar free frozen whipped topping, thawed*

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pudding and mix well. Finally, fold in whipped topping.
12 servings
This frosting goes well with Sugar Free Carrot Cake

Enjoy :)

Linda Smith in reply to comment from Kathy Schneider
11/16/2011 02:16 PMWould you please share your carrot cake recipe and icing using Splenda? I'd like to make one for Thanksgiving. My husband and I are both diabetics.
Thanks so much!

Linda

Wendy
09/26/2011 11:42 PMAlso as we all know, carrots and raisins have sugar so modify if you must, take some raisins out if you need to stay in a lower range of grams. Should not really be labeled sugar free but no sugar added. I have also added a couple tablespoons to splenda to the batter and it made it very good and a bit sweeter. Good luck :)

Wendy in reply to comment from Alfredo P Pascual
09/26/2011 11:37 PMHope this posting goes trough, I would love to share this sugar free carrot cake recipe it's amazing. It's from bitsy's kitchen , I have modified it when I bake. I use 2 cups of flour and one cup of whole wheat, and one cup of raisins instead of two. Also add some crushed pineapple and crushed walnuts. Make sure to scroll down the page for the fluffy cream cheese frosting :)
Here is the page. bitsyskitchen.com/diabetic78.html

Bill
09/09/2011 07:57 AMRose is traveling. Hoping I can help. Rose really hasn't developed recipies that are sugar free, and she often will refer people to other sources for that information. However, I have done some sugar free baking with "splenda for baking" and have had good success. Carrot cake is really like a big muffin, and the sugar doesn't really provide a lot of structure, just sweetness, so I believe that it should work fine. Remember that Rose's recipes are given in both weights and volumetric measures. When you measure the Splenda for baking, you must do it in a measuring cup. Do not weigh it, becuase it is much lighter than sugar. Also, be sure that it is Splenda for Baking, as regular splenda and other artificial sweeteners measure much differently. Hope this is helpful.

Alfredo P Pascual
09/08/2011 09:23 AMI am diabetic and we want to make sugar free carrot cake.

woody in reply to comment from erin
07/11/2011 05:34 PMHi Erin,
There are many cookbooks, television shows, and other media that cover specific dietary needs. Sugar free recipes is not part of genre of our baking although Rose is always looking to minimize the amount of sugar in her recipes. We have tested recipes with sugar substitutes in the past and are open for one that gives comparable results to sugar.
Rose has several blog sites to the left on Sites I like Fran Costigan's for those with specific dietary needs.

erin in reply to comment from desertstudfinder
07/11/2011 02:55 PMI, too, am a diabetic and was looking for a cake recipe that had a sugar subsitute. I was a little offended by this article. Obviouly if someone is asking for a sugar free product there is a reason for it. Yes, there is nothing like the real thing, but I CANT have the real thing. I just ask that people be more sensitive to the needs of others.

Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from desertstudfinder
07/04/2011 11:23 AMdesertstudfinder, my feeling is that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but no one on this blog is entitled to as rude a response as you have just made. it's you who should be ashamed.

desertstudfinder
07/04/2011 11:16 AMI have to tell you Rose, that was the worst and most Victorian response I have ever read. The one regrading sugar substitutes, saying " there is nothing like the real thing and it's better to have a small slice of perfection then to have a large slice of compromise" that to me shows an utter lack of understanding and compassion of what people with diabetes go through everyday with this very serious disease. My husband is afflicted and I work very hard to make his diet as normal and as enjoyable as possible, I was searching for a new sugar free recipe I could add to my collection when I ran across your statement... Shameful...

Angela
05/02/2011 10:18 PMI know this thread is kind of old but thought to add my 2 cents to the "sugar free" discussion. There are some "low glycemic" alternatives out there for baking instead of "splenda" or one of its cousins. Agave (which can take the place of corn syrup or hfcs, or sugar if you reduce the amount of liquids) and xylitol (from birch bark). The later comes in a true crystaline form like sugar but with a sweeter taste and fewer calories. I found that you can reduce the amount of sugar by @ 25% in a formula and still have the "sweetness" of normal sugar. It also makes a wonderful meringue buttercream as you can dissolve it in the syrup for the meringue. And as an added bonus it is shown to prevent tooth decay :-). The only donwside is a slightly "cool" mouth feel, but much more preferable taste wise then the artificial sweeteners aftertaste. have had very positive feedback from customers who have eatin products made with it and with agave.

deb in reply to comment from Kathy Schneider
02/03/2011 01:13 PMdo you still have that sugar free carrot cake you talked about? can i get it from you?

Katie B
08/12/2010 07:44 PMHi,
I love experimenting wth baking. I made a batch of chocolate muffins, reducing the sugar to 2 tbsps. They tasted grim, but I had made them for my daughter to take in and say goodbye to her playscheme on her last day. I had decided not to use splenda for the texture compromise reason. however, the muffins would not be enjoyed. So to compensate I decided to make a sugar free orange syrup with splenda, hot water and some orange oil. I think they have worked really well now. the muffins are extra moist, and now taste sweet enough to be pleasant. Im planning to add a raspberry cream cheese icing for the children who are not diabetic.... will let you know how it goes.

Ara Ulery
03/14/2010 11:35 AMExcellent business piece. Really useful for my business as I am a startup company and continually seeking to improve operations. One of the simplest ways to study enhancements is thru reading a lot of articles and blogs. Thanks.

Becca
02/11/2010 10:21 AMSelf rising flour contains baking powder, so omit baking powder from your recipe when using self rising flour.

Sevruga Kaviar
01/16/2010 12:39 PMYummy :-) - Very delicious recipes. I like your weblog, move on!

angeline yohe
01/14/2010 10:32 PMI would like to have a recipe for a sugar free cake...ANY!!!!!. tHANKS SO MUCH

Rose
02/23/2009 12:47 PMself rising flour has salt in it so don't add more to the batter.

Anonymous
02/23/2009 12:31 PMI made a sugar free cake with self rising flour with my family recipe and added the fat free powdered milk and the baking powder. My icing with splenda was excellent but the cake was real salty tasting How can I prevent a salty and tough cake batter. Annie H. Ellis larryhtr@hotmail.com

Bill
01/07/2009 04:57 PMI've used splenda in cheese cake...and it worked fine. The texture was slightly different ... but it was pretty good. I could detect and after taste...but no one else noticed it (I prepared it for a party that a diabetic was going to be at)

NLP
01/07/2009 11:34 AMHere is a link to a carrot recipe on the Canderel website:

tiffanik
01/04/2009 10:03 PMgood lookin out. 50% of my family suga di so I try 2 make things they like. if u have any more ingredients u can sub like agve nectar feel free 2 email. toniwalker23@yahoo.com thanks Tiffanie

tiffanik
01/04/2009 10:00 PMgood lookin out. 50% of my family suga di so I try 2 make things they like. if u have any more ingredients u can sub like agve nectar feel free 2 email. email toniwalker23@yahoo.com thanks Tiffanie

sheree
12/21/2008 10:06 AMwould you send me your carrot cake resipe. I need one BADLY in time for Christmas.
Sheree

Rose
12/12/2008 04:44 PMthe pancakes in "the cake bible" are tender, buttery, and yes! sugar free. then you can use your favorite sugar substitute icing. you can even make ganache using chocolate for diabetics.

Pam
12/11/2008 02:51 AMHi! I'm looking for an indulgent sugar free or no sugar added recipe for an iced cake. DO you have a recipe for this?

Hector
09/27/2008 01:30 AMI love Rose's carrot cake from the Cake Bible, it is unique, and you must serve it at room temperature if yet slightly warm even better!

Anonymous
09/26/2008 03:08 PMHi,

I spoke to my husband about it and he said that people can be infected and not know it. I have never seen a message like this before from my computer but we have pretty stringent anti-spyware software as my husband is very cautious.
I hope you can find out what the problem is because I was looking forward to seeing your cakes!

Kathy
09/26/2008 02:31 PMI did not mean to post any information that was collecting personal information. I apologize and looking at what is causing the collecting of personal information on my family tree website.

Anonymous
09/26/2008 10:38 AMJust to let everyone know that the website kmsdove.com was blocked by my computer as an attack site that will try to steal private information.

Kathy
09/26/2008 10:03 AMI sell cakes however I do bake with Splenda. I have some pictures of my cakes that I am in the process of posting on my website kmsdove.com. I recently took up cake decorating so have added this to my skillset.

Kathy
09/26/2008 10:00 AMYes exactly. Splenda Sugar and Brown Sugar have some sugar in it. Some people are more sensitive than others. My husband eats less servings if I make something with Splenda. He is Hypoglycemic. It does depend on the individual.

Rose
09/24/2008 04:42 PMthere's hardly a book store in the country that doesn't carry it and of course amazon.

thanks for asking.

cynthia piascik
09/24/2008 03:47 PMwhere do I find the cake bible? I would like the recipe for carrot cake asap, please.

Dianne
09/21/2008 02:57 AMWhey Low is NOT a sugar-free substitute. If you look at the ingrediants of this "natural blend" it includes table sugar, another name for white cane sugar! But it is a much healthier alternative to straight sugar.

frances
09/11/2008 06:59 PMcould you post the carrot cake redipe

Rose
08/08/2008 03:20 PMyes--it's in the cake bible--made with honey!

kathy
08/07/2008 07:06 PMcan I have that sugar free carrot cake recipe...thanks, kathy

Kathy Schneider
04/10/2008 11:31 PMI have a great carrot cake recipe and icing using splenda. I have experimented and carrot cake works best with Splenda because of the moisture from the carrots. I have made it for others and they don't believe me when I tell them it is sugar free. I will post later since it is late.

tawnie
03/10/2008 02:31 PMhey just to let you all know, splenda brown is NOT sugar free... it is half brown sugar half splenda. There is much confusion with this product and many people have run into problems thinking it is. I have many diabetic family members and I have found that if you are going to bake with splenda it is best to do a 1 part sugar to 2 parts splenda - having some sugar helps to keep the taste and texture good. I just make sure that they know it isn't sugar-free but reduce serving sizes. I have also found that using applesauce instead of butter for many recipes is much safer than adding the sugar and the fat altogether as far as safely reducing sugar and fat (many diabetics also have cholesteral problems too) at the same time while maintaining the best texture! As for splenda being "okay for diabetics" that is a very controversial topic. Some studies have shown that it actually raises blood sugars. 1 member of my family is fine with splenda but my mother on the other hand has blood sugar problems from it but is fine with agave nectar which is like honey but made from agave cactus (another good sugar substitute). The agave nectar can be used just like honey and it is much lower glycemic index making blood sugars raise minimally in comparison. It really is dependent on the person. My point is for one person splenda may be great but for another it may be a bad thing causing sugars to spike. The key is substituting minimally until you find a sugar substitute or combination that works for that person by making sure they monitor their sugar levels closely by testing before and after eating the baked good and correcting from there by pairing down and eliminating imposing ingredients until you find the right combination. It can be a tedious task but I keep many notes and refer to them when I am baking for diabetic family. But you must let them know when you are using splenda baking blend. Many diabetics run into the problem that "sugar free" means oh I can eat 3 servings which isn't the issue as we all know anything you eat raises blood sugars somewhat so please be aware of this when cooking for diabetics and let them know! The last thing you want is for someone to go into a diabetic coma because you didn't provide all the info. Remember though, when in doubt test, test, test!

Rose
01/04/2008 09:04 AMright!

Jane
01/04/2008 07:21 AMThanks for your advice Rose! I'll try pg 35 as a vanilla cupcake. If I substitute the 4 yolks for 2 whole eggs, I'll keep it at 74gms right? The eggs here weigh about 56gms each (without shells). So I'll remove the extra whites and keep them to 74gms right? Thank you again!

Bill
01/02/2008 02:54 PMI love the sourcream buttercake. It is amazingly delicious!

Rose
01/02/2008 02:22 PMyou're a good baker! some ppl find the domingo dry bc they overbake it!
try the sourcream butter cake on page 35 or if you want to play with a vanilla domingo try substituting 4 yolks for the 2 whole eggs but make sure to weigh or measure them as yolks these days can really vary in size. and do report back!

Jane
01/02/2008 01:51 AMHi Rose.
I bought your book and has been baking some recipes from the Cake Bible. I love the Chocolate Domingo Cake as it remains moist even after a few days. I used it to bake cupcakes and everybody who tries it just have good comments on it. However, when I tried to use it to bake a vanilla version, substituting the amount of cocoa powder for the cake flour, and add in vanilla essence, it does not have the moist taste. Why is it so? Which recipe in your book can I use it as vanilla cupcakes? Appreciate your kind advice. Thank you.

Maffy
10/25/2007 03:40 PMIf you're looking for a sugar substitute in baking, look at Whey Low. I've been sugar free for the past 10 years, and this is my sugar substitute of choice. http://www.wheylow.com/Default.asp
It's all natural (from whey, obviously), has some calories but 75% less than sugar, and doesn't spike my glucose level. Even my hubby, who does not have diabetes, likes my whey low baked goods - no aftertaste, as there can be if you use more than 1/4 cup of Splenda in anything. They have a brown sugar version that I really appreciate this time of year!

beverly king
10/10/2007 02:08 PMibuy suar free gluten free carrot cakes and german chocolate cakes from a bakery that specicalizes in diabetic .and they are awsome.i just made a lazy daisy oatmeal cake sugar free & gluten free with splenda
and it is delicious. made with splenda & splenda brown sugar for broiled frosting.

chrissy
06/19/2007 08:24 AMgreat! thanks for the tip! i assume they can be defrosted in the fridge overnight?

Rose
06/19/2007 08:21 AMthe egg whites should be just fine if refrigerated for a few days. if you're not planning to use them soon freeze them as they keep as long as a year and even longer in a good freezer.

Chrissy
06/19/2007 08:08 AMI just made your vanilla ice cream from the cake bible, and it was, by far, the creamiest and best tasting ice cream i have ever had! (and i left out the vodka!)
but now i have a question... are the egg whites still okay to use? they have been in my fridge for 2 days. how long will they last?
thanks!

Elizabeth
05/27/2007 02:24 PMThere is a great sugar-free recipe for carrot cake at the back of the novel Eat Cake! by Jeanne Ray. It uses honey instead of sugar, and because there is no artificial sweetener, it tastes great! I don't have an icing recipe that's sugar-free, though. Hope this helps.

Fran
05/10/2007 12:48 PMMace is the spice that gives Animal Crackers their unique flavor.

azcakelady
05/09/2007 08:00 PMI need a spice cake recipe for a diabetic friend who can have Splenda. Any thoughts? I need it right away. Shall start playing the meantime. How about a carmel burnt sugar type frosting--any one play with Splenda Brown Sugar? Thanks for any help you have.

Joan Colclasure Crestview Fl 32539
05/08/2007 08:17 AMI know that Public Super Markets have sugar free cakes and are really good, I have had chocolate and yellow cakes but I am not sure that they would have carrot cake.
wouldn't hurt to try

shrimr rajangam
04/29/2007 02:34 PMdo you sell sugarfree carrot cake or let me know where I can buy one from?

Info Product Creation Exposed
04/29/2007 12:05 AMFor some reason I can always tell when a cake doesn't have real sugar! lol!

Lori
03/16/2007 10:35 AMI just made the White Velvet Butter Cake using Splenda, and my advice is....DON'T!

The cakes really didn't rise at all. The taste is good, but the height is just not there.

Rose
12/31/2006 10:16 AMgoing back to mace for a moment: my husband tells me that it is indeed the same thing that is used for defense! well this is not surprising as hot pepper spray is used to keep deer from eating the shrubbery!

elizabeth
12/31/2006 10:04 AMthis is great to be able to make some sugar free cakes and cookies i am a diebetic i love to be able to make myself some sweets i bake with splend its great keep up the good work thank you

Rose
11/22/2006 07:31 PMyes--you're right. it's been corrected in the current 4th printing.

DLG
11/22/2006 06:37 PMErrata: The ingredients for the Chocolate Cream Pie recipe in The Pie and Pastry Bible lists 3 cups of milk, divided. 1/4 cup of milk is mixed with the cornstarch, cocoa and eggs. The next paragraph calls for "the remaining 3 3/4 cups milk." This should instead call for "the remaining 2 3/4 cups milk, " right?

Rose
10/08/2006 09:15 AMwell it's certainly not the stuff that people spray on would be attackers! i always thought it was an unfortunate name for a spice but actually mace called for in a desert recipe is the powdered lacey red outer covering of a nutmeg. while the nutmeg 'seed'is quite mild, the mace is very intensely pungeantso a little goes a long way as an accent.you should be able to find it together with other spices. there really isn't a substitute.

Terry Ann
10/08/2006 08:53 AMI have a couple of cake recipes that call for an ingredient called mace. What is it and can I use a substitute if I can't locate it?

Remember me next time?
Let me know if someone adds a comment?

Hope u like pineapple!
1/2 c. Butter or margarine,softened. 1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
3 eggs. 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
1 c. Thawed frozen pineapple juice 1/4 tsp. Salt
From concentrate. 3 c. Shredded carrots
2 tsp. Vanilla Icing(recipe follows)
2 1/2 c. All purpose flour. 1/2 c. Chopped toasted pecans(optional)
2 tsps. Baking powder. Preheat oven to 350*
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups raisins
2 cups shredded carrots (4-5 medium)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Put raisins in warm water to plump.

I made a few changes to this bitsy's recipe,

For the frosting..

Sugar-Free Fluffy Frosting

Frosts one 9x13 or one 2 layer cake
1 3/4 cups milk
1 (8 oz.) package fatfree cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) container lite or sugar freIn a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and milk. Mix well and let stand until thickened.
12 servings
This frosting goes well with Sugar Free Carrot Cake

e frozen whipped topping, thawed*
12 servings
This frosting goes well with Sugar Free Carrot Cake

Enjoy :)

Why is the recipe provided not good enough? There are naturally sweet ingredients in it. Why must everyone poison themselves with Splenda here? There was highly insufficient human research trials on Splenda before it was put on the market. We'll all get to find out what the long-term problems are 5 years down the road, just like with aspartame. If you have diabetes, there are options; give up the sweet foods most of the time and moderate (like everyone should be doing anyway) and/or research natural alternatives like agave, tupelo honey and stevia! Clearly the author here is trying to delicately dance around this subject for fear of sacrificing her political correctness.

Hope u like pineapple!
1/2 c. Butter or margarine,softened. 1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
3 eggs. 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
1 c. Thawed frozen pineapple juice 1/4 tsp. Salt
From concentrate. 3 c. Shredded carrots
2 tsp. Vanilla Icing(recipe follows)
2 1/2 c. All purpose flour. 1/2 c. Chopped toasted pecans(optional)
2 tsps. Baking powder. Preheat oven to 350*

1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups raisins
2 cups shredded carrots (4-5 medium)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Put raisins in warm water to plump.

I made a few changes to this bitsy's recipe,

Thanks so much!

Linda

Here is the page. bitsyskitchen.com/diabetic78.html

Alfredo P Pascual
Alfredo P Pascual
09/08/2011 09:23 AM

I am diabetic and we want to make sugar free carrot cake.

Hi Erin,

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from desertstudfinder
07/04/2011 11:23 AM

desertstudfinder
desertstudfinder
07/04/2011 11:16 AM

Hi,

Yummy :-) - Very delicious recipes. I like your weblog, move on!

angeline  yohe
angeline yohe
01/14/2010 10:32 PM

I would like to have a recipe for a sugar free cake...ANY!!!!!. tHANKS SO MUCH

self rising flour has salt in it so don't add more to the batter.

Here is a link to a carrot recipe on the Canderel website:

Sheree

Hi,

thanks for asking.

cynthia piascik
cynthia piascik
09/24/2008 03:47 PM

could you post the carrot cake redipe

yes--it's in the cake bible--made with honey!

can I have that sugar free carrot cake recipe...thanks, kathy

I love the sourcream buttercake. It is amazingly delicious!

you're a good baker! some ppl find the domingo dry bc they overbake it!

Hi Rose.

beverly king
beverly king
10/10/2007 02:08 PM

thanks!

Mace is the spice that gives Animal Crackers their unique flavor.

Joan Colclasure  Crestview Fl 32539
Joan Colclasure Crestview Fl 32539
05/08/2007 08:17 AM

wouldn't hurt to try

shrimr rajangam
shrimr rajangam
04/29/2007 02:34 PM

do you sell sugarfree carrot cake or let me know where I can buy one from?

For some reason I can always tell when a cake doesn't have real sugar! lol!

yes--you're right. it's been corrected in the current 4th printing.