Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

December 1, THE BLOG WILL HAVE A NEW HOME AND DESIGN ON SQUARESPACE!

Crumbly 100% Whole Wheat Bread

Dec 27, 2005 | From the kitchen of Rose

JEANETTE QUESTION

Feedback: I have my mother's recipe for ground whole wheat bread from my mother, who died 3-2000, so I can't ask her. My bread has a fine texture, is moist and tasty, but it is crumbly. I'd like bread with a good cling like hers was. What makes bread crumbly?

ROSE REPLY

lack of gluten development. there is not much gluten forming protein available in whole wheat flour but if it's freshly ground, and if you use enough water it should be adequate to hold together well. to hedge your bets, add vital wheat gluten. there is a range of amounts on the package. start with the smallest amount so the bread isn't too chewy. it will make a huge difference to the texture of the bread.

Comments

MY BREAD IS TOO CRUMBLEH

thank you Matthew that is indeed it -- you've saved me all the work of reposting it!

i did a search and discovered that i never posted this recipe which i did for food arts magazine in april of 05! i promise to post it within the next few weeks. it's really a special and healthful bread and i know many of you bread bakers will really appreciate it. thanks for asking and jogging my memory Jerry.

if you only double the recipe you won't need to increase the mixing time.

The only a recipe that I make or offer using 100% whole wheat flour is on the blog. It also contains walnuts and walnut oil.

Jerry, my educated guess is that you will need to increase the mixing time since there is more dough volume for the mixer to get to it all.

Rose,
about two weeks ago I purchased your book The Bread Bible. I am having difficulty in finding a whole wheat bread recipe. In addition, if I scale up a base recipe (i.e. I increase the flour still maintaining the same percentage as to ingredients to flour), would I still maintain the same mixing time as originally called for in the base recipe?