Greasing Parchment Paper

Dec 19, 2005 | From the kitchen of Rose

Jane Question:
Wnen using parchment paper for cookies, do I grease the paper if the recipe says to grease pan, and must I change the paper each time that I bake another batch of the same cookie?

Rose Reply:
no need to grease the parchment but it is a good idea to change it between batches as it will start to turn brown and fall apart. also residue or tiny bits of the cookie dough will start to burn and get into the new batch.

Comments

rose Levy Beranbaum
rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from CharlesT
11/09/2012 10:31 AM

charles, i'm sorry i don't know the brand as my latest stack of parchment sheets was a gift from ron ben israel! good to know reynold's roll works though rolls are a bit of a nuisance when one is used to sheets.

Very true, Rose. Also, I've had poor luck with the sheet cut parchment for bread. The sheets get welded to the bottom of the bread and can't be removed without cutting it off. This happens regardless of greasing. Have you found a sheet brand that works?

The Reynold's roll parchment works flawlessly though.

rose Levy Beranbaum
rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Darlene
11/07/2012 10:58 AM

thanks darlene for the great tip. i can assure you, however, that this would not work for bread baked at 400˚F or higher!

I have used the same piece of parchment paper to do 3 batches of cookies and the paper does not turn brown or crumble.

I had my children crumble a piece of xerox paper and soak it in a cup of tea. The creases look more antiqued. After about 15 min. remove the paper. flatten it, and allow it to dry. One more step is to burn just the edges of the paper. It has an authentic look when finished.

laure,

I don't think you want the kind of parchment paper used for baking. for one thing, I don't think you'll be able to write on it as it is made to be nonstick and once it's brown it is very crumbly as was already pointed out.

What you want to do is get a regular piece of typing paper and stain it with tea to make it look old. Just wet a tea bag and drag it across the paper. If you want to, put it in the oven on a low setting (200) for about 15 minutes, but keep an eye on it, or it will burn,

jen

Just bake it on a sheet pan at 450-475 for about 20 minutes--when I bake bread at this temperature, the parchment always browns.

I want the parchment paper to turn brown for a project for my son. He then has to write on it. He needs it to look old. How should I achieve this? I heard that lemon juice on the paper works. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Laure

because the paper is baking too.

ben gardner
ben gardner
11/06/2007 07:46 PM

why does parchment paper turn brown when bakeing off sweet potatoes in the oven?

Roxanne Rieske
Roxanne Rieske
12/21/2005 01:21 PM

If you are using Quinlinne (not sure if I spelled that right), which are the silicone coated parchment sheets, these can be used twice if you flip them over between batches. Unless you are baking at 400 degrees or over, the paper won't scorch through two bakings. I do this all the time when I'm baking cookies (both at home and at the bakery). Quinlinne sheets can be found in bulk at most bakery and restuarant supply stores.