Fresh From The Forums

Rose's forums are the best place to get answers from the smartest baking community online.

See Tour Dates

The time for the CIA demo and book signing on Monday, December 8 has been changed to 11:00 am. It is open to the public.

How Much Yeast

Dec 25, 2005 | From the kitchen of Rose

ROSE QUESTION

Feedback: I have been attempting to make my deceased mother-in-laws recipe for what they call Norweigian Flat Bread. The recipe that I have calls for aprox. 4 cups of rye flour, 4 cups of white flour, 1 cup of Karo syrup, butter, salt and scalded milk. It calls for one package of yeast. I have trouble getting the bread to rise, do you think that 1 package of yeast is correct? This recipe makes 3 12" circular shaped breads.Thanks for your help!

ROSE REPLY

4 cups of flour usually require about 1 teaspoon of instant yeast or 1-1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast. but when you also have a large amount of sweetener and/or butter you need about 3 times the amount.

Comments

Hi Aisha,
We do not know if the Norwegian Flat Bread can be converted to donuts as we do not have the recipe. Rose's posting was to give proven ratios of ingredients.

As Rose states in "The Bread Bible", once opened, it is best to store the yeast in an airtight container in the freezer. It will keep for around two years.
Rose & Woody

Aisha Jawed
Aisha Jawed
01/ 8/2014 07:20 AM

after un sealed the pack how long we can use it

Aisha Jawed
Aisha Jawed
01/ 8/2014 07:19 AM

for 24 donuts how much flour and yeast is used

mustafa, if you want a very soft loaf you need to add butter and dry milk powder also helps. i have a great recipe in my book the bread bible and coincidentally one is rising right now!

as i wrote above, 4 cups of flour require about 1-1/4 teaspoon of active dry yeast or 4 grams so for 1 cup 1 grams.

Hello...
Could anyone of you please let me know that how many grams of active dry yeast is required to 1cup of plain flour (all Purpose flour) for baking a bread which is soft from inside and golden brown from outside. I am a beginner so kindly tell me the basic ingredients (in small quantity i.e. if I want to start from one cup of flour) of white bread.

Erlend Hermansen
Erlend Hermansen
01/14/2009 01:03 PM

I am a norwegian myself, and i can tell you that flatbröd, or flat bread is not supposed to rise what so ever,

it is paper thin!

good luck baking!

how much yeast should i use with 10 lbs of king arthur flour??

A six ounce cake of yeast is equivelent to one package of regular dry yeast. Cake yeast is traditionally added to the milk and butter, but the dry yeast will have to be proofed in a little hot milk before adding to your recipe. I hope this helps.

For long rises in the frig (1-2 weeks) is rapid rise as good to use as active of does it run out of gas too soon ?

Rose Reply:
for those of you who have "the bread bible" the yeast conversion is on page 562

to convert cake yeast to instant yeast, for 1 packed tablespoon cake yeast use 2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry

instant yeast can be added directly to the flour without proofing. it is available nationally under the following names:

fleischmann's bread machine yeast or rapid rise
red star's quickrise
red star's instant active dry
SAF instant
SAF gourmet perfect rise

i store the unused yeast in an airtight container in the freezer where it stays fresh for as long as 2 years. (if it's a large quantity i store about 2 tablespoons of it separately so that the larger amount doesn't get subjected to oxygen and deteriorate more quickly.

From the kitchen of Rose on 12.15.05 at 8:48 AM in Ingredients

Carole Humes
Carole Humes
01/23/2008 07:46 AM

I have a Hot Roll recipe that is delicious. It calls for 2 small cakes of yeast. Since the cake yeast is only available during the holiday season, how many packs of dry yeast must I use. It calls for 4 3/4 cups of flour.
Thanks for your help.

Carole Humes
Carole Humes
01/23/2008 07:46 AM

I have a Hot Roll recipe that is deliicious. It calls for 2 small cakes of yeast. Since the cake yeast is only available during the holiday season, how many packs of dry yeast must I use. It calls for 4 3/4 cups of flour.
Thanks for your help.

Mike Karasz
Mike Karasz
10/26/2007 08:57 PM

I've never had Norwegian Flat bread but it sounds similar to a Finnish rye bread that is rather hard, flat, (about 1/2 inch thick) that some friends sometimes bring back from Finland. It's sold in packaged discs about 12 inch in diameter. I suspect that the Norwegian Flat bread is similar and is not supposed to rise much.

Sindra - cake yeast is not as widely available as active dry yeast, which is sold in packets or jars, in the refrigerated section and/or the baking section, of just about every grocery store around (be sure to check the expiration date). One packet of active dry yeast equals 2 1/4 teaspoons.

Listen ive got to problems.
1)what is cakes yeast and where can I get some?
2)how much is 1 package of active dry yeast?

Im trying to make doughnuts and only 12 so please help!