Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

December 1, THE BLOG WILL HAVE A NEW HOME AND DESIGN ON SQUARESPACE!

Quantity Cookies

Dec 7, 2005 | From the kitchen of Rose

Henna Question:
I'm working in a new bagel shop/bakery and i am in charge of the bakery department. i'm looking to introduce some new items based on recipes that i use at home. at the bakery we measure everything in pounds, ounces and quarts. how can i charge my cookie recipe that makes 24 cookies to a recipe that makes 400 cookies???

i'm stumped and i've been looking for the answer but i can't find any clue anywhere?
can you help me or can you point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Rose Reply:
i do everything in weights even for 6 cookies because it’s so much faster and easier. all you have to do is convert your smaller recipe to weights. make a batch weighing each ingredient and then multiply it. the problem you may run into is that things mix differently in larger quantities. you may have to adjust mixing time.

Comments

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from sut
09/ 2/2014 10:55 PM

Hi Sut,
We suggest that you add more flour to make a stiffer dough. roll them into balls and flatten them slightly. You may also want to experiment with a coarser sugar such as Sugar in the Raw.
Rose & Woody

Your wonderful recipes are an inspiration to me. i baked most of your recipes n they came out "very good indeed". One question though, i like my chocolate chip has a crackled effect after baking, how do i do it? Your answers are most appreciated. Thank you.

Hi! I live at the coast in South Africa and to keep biscuits crisp, use a tupperware container with a tablespoon of granulated sugar sprinkled on the bottom, in lay a paper serviette and then put in the biscuits. Remember to close tightly after each opening!

our motto is "another day in paradise"--it is a very special place. someone suggested a brisker/crisper to keep the cookies in. didn't know they existed. any other ideas to keep my cookies crisp?

brandy, i know how disappointing humidity can be vis a vis baking but you have moved to a very special paradise! i adore sarasota.

i have recently moved from outside washington, dc to sarasota, florida and because of the humidity have had a terrible time keeping cookies crisp. by the time they are getting cool enough to store, they have started to soften. If it is not too humid or i have the air conditioning really low they will stay crisp longer. (even nuts or crackers left out will soften quickly in this area.) it is not a storage issue as they soften before i can store them.

barbara, i would toast the walnuts and rub off the skins. if you add extra flour they will be spherical but less magical--you loose tenderness.

I've had your wonderful Christmas Cookie book since the day it came out - its one of the most wrecked cookbooks in my collection (a good thing). I wanted to make some powdered sugar nut ball cookies but accidentally bought a pound of walnuts instead of pecans. Can I substitute walnuts for pecans? Should I toast them? I thought I would use your Mexican Wedding Cake recipe, but they seem to be more flat than ball shaped. Any suggestions on how I can adapat the recipe to make spherical walnut cookies that are as delicate as the pecan variety. Many thanks. Barbara

did you use the same exact brand name butter, sugar, and flour?

Denise Sankary
Denise Sankary
01/22/2009 07:00 PM

I made this chocoate chip cookie recipe in North Carolina. The cookies came out delicious. I just tried making the same exact recipe and they taste like they're missing the sugar or butter. They taste bland. What is the reason for that? I am quite perplexed. I followed the recipe to a T. Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks

I have a question: My blondies always end up underdone in the middle; if I bake them longer, the outside edges get overdone. I am baking them in pans that are shiny and not dark. I would like them to have the same texture thru-out: that is, not fudgy but not dry and overdone - I want to see the structure if the crumb when I cut into the cookies, not fudgy gummy-ness. I do cream the butter and sugar when called for in the recipe, etc. Any help would be appreciated-

billie lape
billie lape
06/27/2007 10:16 AM

I was recently in the Missoula Wheat Montana resturant, and I thought one of the clerks told me that they use Prairie Gold Wheat for Chili in place of beans. I'm certain that the clerk told me this and stated further that this method decreased the GAS ATTACK. I have been looking on your web site for the receipe, and I can not find it. I would like to try it

usually tupperware.

Rose, what brand of airtight containers do you use for your cookies? Thank you.

Yvonne - I'm confused... are you asking if it's okay to dip baked macaroons in melted chocolate? (the answer would be yes - any macaroon recipe would work). Or maybe you are looking for a very specific macaroon recipe? Or maybe you are looking for any macaroon recipe? Could you please clarify?

no i don't. anyone out there who does?

yvonne Parnes
yvonne Parnes
05/10/2007 06:10 PM

Have you a recipe for a coconut macaroon where you cook the batter first . Coconut, egg whites, corn starch.Karo and ........Then you bake them and dip the bottoms in choc.

nuts are nuts. NOT!

peanut allergy can kill--even the oil.

Ruth Maison
Ruth Maison
02/ 2/2007 05:23 PM

I bake 6 dozen oatmeal cookies, each mo. for my church. We can not use nuts or peanutbutter because of many people who are alergic to nuts. I found a healthy Oatmeal recipe that contains nutmeg and peanut butter chips. Are these ingredients safe to use in my cookies?

Kelsey Jo Stephens
Kelsey Jo Stephens
01/10/2007 04:05 PM

Are chocolate chip cookies related to the cooking rate? Thanks! :)

could be. i don't know if you ever tried my recipe but it's far from gummy and yes--it uses butter.

I have made Mexican Wedding Cookies using different recipes and each time the cookies come out tasting gummy. I have tried plain and also self-rising flour, but I get the same result. Is it because I used margarine instead of real butter?

check out the kuhn rikkon one--it looks exceptionally sturdy and they're noted for quality equipment.

I am considering buying a cookie press. Of course the wilton ones are quite easily available but according to ratings I've seen some people love em and some say there are major flaws about thickness etc. I've also seen this marcato one which is italian made and all metal construction, looks pretty good. Any recommendations.

this is addressed in detail under the catagory bread.

Would like to know what is the best speed to mix bread dough in kitchen aid mixer.