Yeast Conversion

Dec 15, 2005 | From the kitchen of Rose

Linda Question:
What is the conversion factor for substituting dry yeast for compressed yeast. Yeast cakes are getting harder to find in the supermarket. Thanks!

Rose Reply:
for those of you who have "the bread bible" the yeast conversion is on page 562

1 teaspoon instant aka instant active dry=1-1/4 teaspoons active dry or 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh cake yeast

instant yeast can be added directly to the flour without proofing. it is available nationally under the following names:

fleischmann's bread machine yeast or rapid rise
red star's quickrise
red star's instant active dry
SAF instant
SAF gourmet perfect rise

i store the unused yeast in an airtight container in the freezer where it stays fresh for as long as 2 years. (if it's a large quantity i store about 2 tablespoons of it separately so that the larger amount doesn't get subjected to oxygen and deteriorate more quickly.

Please Note: There is a second posting about yeast conversion so put yeast conversion in the search box and you will find it if you need more information.

Comments

Hello Woody and thank you for cleaning this up for me. That mean that I don't need to change it, granulated yeast is the same as active dry yeast/ thank you so much...Rosa Meaggie.

Hi Rosa,
Per our research, generally if an author specifies granulated yeast it is the same as active yeast. If the recipe you are using seems to be using something else, then we recommend to contact the author of the recipe for her/his advice. Some authors may vary the amount of yeast per the results they are trying to achieve.
You may want to look at "The Bread Bible" which has in depth understanding of the interaction of ingredients and equipment.
Rose & Woody

You say that granulated yeast is actvie yeast so dose that mean that my recipe says to put 1 Tbsp. Of granulated yeast and calls for 910 grams of all-purpose flour.
What I'm asking is do I have to change it into (actvie dry yeast)that I did and it comes to 8 teaspoons of actvie dry yeast!....p.sin canad, ontario, barrie stores only have (instant yeast) and (active dry yeast).....please yet me know if I'm right!...Rosa Maggie.

Hi Rosa,
This is Rose's reply to a previous blogger's inquiry a couple of years ago.

julie, granulated yeast is active dry yeast. you should be able to do the conversion using the information above if you know how much granulated yeast is called for. it will be helpful to know that the average bread based on 1 cup/156 grams flour uses 1/4 teaspoon/0.78 grams instant yeast. as noted above, for 1 teaspoon instant yeast you'll need 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast.
Rose & Woody

I have the bread cook book given a while back ago to me and would like to known what is (granulated yeast ), is it ( Active Dry Yeast)? help!!

Hello Rose,I have a. Recipe that calls for Tbsp. 1 granulated yeast , is that Active Dry Yeast???

My recipe calls for 34 grams of fresh yeast.
How much red star active dry yeast do I use in place of the fresh yeast?

David Cunningham
David Cunningham in reply to comment from Delia Daza
06/10/2013 03:19 AM

My simple way of converting is to multiply by 3 if going from dry yeast to fresh, i.e. if recipe asks for 7g dry yeast then use 21g of fresh.
If going the other way then obviously divide by 3...!!!

Hope this helps.

DC

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Anonymous
09/ 7/2012 03:01 PM

Hi Anonymous,
Rose always recommends, you should always make the recipe with exactly the same ingredients, equipment, and techniques as called for by the author's recipe to establish your control. From there you can experiment by substituting one ingredient or adjusting one technique at a time to obtain results that match the control or to your preferences. You may also want to experiment past what you think is the best results to fail the recipe so that you know the recipe's limits , and contact the author for her/his advise.
We will always specify the type of yeast in Rose's recipes as that type will have given us the best results.
Rose & Woody

thanks woody it is so helpful . thanks again wavin at u from calif ~~~~~~~~~~ happy baking ( with cake yeast of course lololol woody also may i ask is quicj rise yeast better for bread ??

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Jack Tate
09/ 7/2012 11:40 AM

Hi Jack,
The conversion ratio: to convert fresh cake yeast to instant yeast, for 1 packed tablespoon/0.75 ounce cake yeast use 2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry, is stated above.
The size of a block of fresh yeast can vary depending on the supplier.
Rose & Woody

How much is a block of yeast?

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Iara
06/28/2012 12:32 AM

Hi Iara,
Compressed yeast is the same as fresh yeast, which the conversions are shown on this posting. However, you may want to check with the author of the recipe on whether you can substitute instant or active yeast to achieve identical results.
Rose & Woody

I have a recipe for a bread that calls for 100g of compressed yeast, however I can't find compressed yeast at groceries stores in Houston,TX?.

thank you delia--i've made the page correction. and thank you charles for pointing out that the amount is indeed 1-1/4 teaspoon!

That's 1 1/4 teaspoons. 1.25 teaspoons. One and a quarter teaspoons.

Hi Rose, in your response you said "For every teaspoon instant use 1-14 teaspoon active dry" the 1-14 I don't understand Sorry :(
And BTW the Yeast Conversions are in page 562, not 463. I don't know if it's different in other editions.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from bella
05/ 6/2012 01:54 AM

Hi Bella,
We ask are you making one of Rose's recipes from The Bread Bible, which you then convert the instant yeast to fresh yeast with the above conversion?

i make a lot of pizza and i want to use fresh yeast. if i have a 4 cup flour how much fresh yeast do i use / many tghanks for an answer your site here is teriffic and all pizza makers should see it.

Kathy: you use 1.3 ounces. :-) Are you asking for a volume measurement? BTW, you can replace the fresh yeast with instant yeast You'll need far less of it, of course.

My recipe calls for 1 3/10 ounce frsh yeast cake. I have a 2 oz. yeast cake . How much of this do I use?

Hi Linda,
We know that Red Star's packaged fresh cake yeast is 2 ounces per package and Fleischmann's has a smaller 0.6 ounce package.

how many ounces in a large cake yeast?

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from helene
12/11/2011 05:29 PM

Hi Helene,
Since yeast cakes can vary on size per manufacturer, we recommend to convert using the conversion charts in this article or from Rose's The Bread Bible. The yeast's packaging should have the ounces stated for you to divide them by 4 and then make the conversion.

my recipe calls for 1/4 of a yeast cake how do i convert that into rapid dry yeast.

helene

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Dana Deau
11/28/2011 05:11 PM

Hi Dana,
We appreciate your inquiry, but we recommend that you contact the author of the recipe for his or her advice and for translating the recipe. We have not tested any donut recipes with potatoes.

Hello! Im new to this so im not sure if its a question or more of advice. Im making donuts with this really great donut recipe i have and the ONLY down side is they tend to be too dense, So i was wanting to add some yeast to them to see if that will lighten them up a bit, also just a side not it calls for i cup potatoes and 2 1/2 cups flour. So my QUESTION is how much yeast should i add? And quick or regular? Also i found a recipe that i need translated if at all possible! Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!
450g plain flour
75g butter,
1.5 cup mashed potato
7g yeast
250g warm milk

SAF is instant and can be added directly to
The flour and active dry needs to be activated in warm
Water. For every teaspoon instant use 1-14 teaspoon active dry.

Hi Deb,
SAF yeast active is just another brand as mentioned above. As long as you are using the same type-active or instant, other brands should work. Most yeast doughnut recipes will say warm water. Is the recipe using room temp tap water?

I have a donut recipe that calls for a T of SAF yeast, I have Fleischmanns active dry yeast. This recipe tells you to add the yeast to the mix and then the water on top, it doesn't heat the water, how does the yeast activate, or is that why i have to buy the SAF yeast?Thanks

I have a receipt that calls for granulated yeast. I could not find that in the grocery store. What is the 'US' conversion?
Thanks!

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from heather
06/24/2011 01:08 PM

Hi Heather,
If the recipe is calls for 1 ounce of fresh cake yeast, then from the conversion above to rapid yeast is 2-2/3 teaspoons.

i am making bread rolls and it calls for 1 ounce of yeast. i bought fleischmanns rapidrise yeast. how many packs will it take to make 1 ounce?
the 3 packs are 1/4 oz each (totaling 3/4 oz)

thanks

Sandra Michaels
Sandra Michaels in reply to comment from PATTY FITTRO
04/23/2011 04:26 PM

I just want to know how many ounces are in a large yeast cake. I need to know fast. Thank you

Thank you so much!!! I had to devide a recipe by 25 to get this recipe to work!!! I racked my brain over and over!!! Lol I was never good at math!!!! Thank you for you help!!

randy, the answer to your first question is given in the posting above. but for your second question, 3/4 oz. fresh yeast (1 packed tablespoon)=a 1/4 oz. package )2-1/4 teaspoons active dry)

I have a pizza dough that call's for 2 oz of cake"fresh" yeast and all I have is active dry yeast could you please tell me how much active dry yeast do I use instead of the fresh yeast??? Thank you

I have a dough that calls for 1/2 tsp of cake"fresh" yeast and all I have is a package of active dry yeast could you please tell me how much of the active dry yeast do I use??? Thanks

Do you have a yeast raised donut recipe that produces donuts that can stay soft even for 8hrs in room temp because most of the basic recipe in the net produces donuts that turns tough after just an hour in room temp. What additional ingredients should I add that would keep my donuts soft just like those commercially made donuts. Thanks. Louelljoy@yahoo.com

I would love the doughnut receipt.
I also make only homemade doughnuts.
It is the right time for that: in Hannucca we make latkes and doughnuts.

zehava, 1 packed tablespoon of fresh or cake yeast=21 grams which=2-1/2 teaspoons active dry (so for 100 grams fresh yeast use 1/4 cup + 1/2 teaspoon or 40 grams active dry.

I have a recipe that calls for 100 grams of fresh yeast. I have a large bag of Red Star Active Dry Yeast. How do I convert from fresh to dry?

1 teaspoon instant yeast = 3.2 grams so 14 grams = about 4.5 teaspoons

Joanne Guada
Joanne Guada
03/31/2010 08:53 PM

Hello, I AM HOPING THAT YOU CAN HELP ME. i AM MAKING HOT CROSS BUNS FOR THE FIRST TIME AND THE RECIPE THAT I AM USING CALLS FOR 14 GRAMS OF INSTANT YEAST. THE INSTANT YEAST THAT I HAVE ARE PACKAGED IN 11GRAMS. HOW MANY TEASPOONS SHOULD i USE FOR MY RECIPE?

JOANNE

PATTY FITTRO
PATTY FITTRO in reply to comment from beth
01/17/2010 07:07 PM

FOR THE POPPYSEED ROLLS I'M GOING TO MAKE IT TAKES 1 LARGE CAKE YEAST. I dont have any idea how many ounces it is. I cant find cake yeast anywhere so I will have to use dry yeast. How much will I need to use in place of large cake yeast. thanks. patty

1 teaspoon of active dry yeast (not instant)=3.2 grams/0.11 ounce so that means 3 1/2 ounces of active dry yeast would = 2/3 cup. that can't be right unless it's for a huge amount of bread!

Caroly Pargeon
Caroly Pargeon
01/11/2010 10:55 AM

I want to try a recipe for Rugbrod, it asks for 3 1/2 oz of dry yeast, how much should I use.

there's no way to be sure what the author intended as packaging can change. the best thing in this case is to calculate the yeast by the amount of flour that's in the recipe. i would start with 0.75 to 1% the weight of the flour. if the bread doubles in less than 1 hour decrease it. if it takes more than 2 hours increase it.

by volume, for 1 cup bread flour start with 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast.

I have a recipe that calls for "2 large cakes of yeast". Would this be the same as 2 packets of yeast?

the conversion is right up there above your posting!

I am converting an old bread recipe that calls for "1 yeast" (to 7 c. flour, etc.) The half recipe calls for 1/4 c. yeast. This must be the cake yeast. What are conversions to active dry yeast, please. Thanks!

So how many teaspoon is there is i want to measure 7 grm. Is 2 1/4 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon??

No, T means Tablespoon, t means teaspoon. So 1 t fresh yeast = 7gm.

Zach Townsend
Zach Townsend
05/31/2009 07:44 PM

Noreen,

In addition, 1 teaspoon fresh yeast = 7gm.

Zach Townsend
Zach Townsend
05/31/2009 06:05 PM

Noreen. This is from the cake bible. Does this help your conversion?

- If recipe calls for dry yeast, x 2.42 is amount of fresh yeast needed.
- If recipe calls for fresh yeast, x .41 is amount of dry yeast needed.
- Using volume, you need 1.4 times the volume of packed fresh yeast to replace dry.
- 1 package active dry yeast = 2 1/4 tsp = .25 ounce = 7 grams.

Also, Rose mentions this substitution:
- For: .25-ounce (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast, you can substitute 1 packed tablespoon (.75 ounce) compressed fresh yeast.

I hope this answers your question!
Zach

i need to know 5gm fresh yeast equivalent to how many tsp instant yeast.

thanks

Madeline Polimeni
Madeline Polimeni
03/24/2009 11:11 PM

amount of yeast for 5lbs. of flour

Hilde, I've done some reverse math, the ratio is on Rose's first post on this topic:

1 tb cake yeast (packed) equals to 2 tsp instant yeast or 2.5 tsp active dry yeast.

Therefore, if your "dry yeast" is instant yeast, then you need 1 tb cake yeast (packed). Or, if your "dry yeast" is active dry, then you need 0.8 tb cake yeast (packed). 0.8 tb is a dash less than 2 1/2 tsp.

You can always type keywords on the top left of this blog, under search, and get 90% of your questions answered or discussed extensivelly, but I kindly warn you be ready to read a lot of useful information =)

Hilde Novak
Hilde Novak
01/21/2009 08:35 AM

I am making bread in a bread machine. I have a 2 oz. fresh yeast cake and need 2 tsp of dry yeast.

How much of the cake yeas would I use, please?

Thanks. Write to my email; as I am not going to this site. My first time here.

Mrs.Julie Benkovic
Mrs.Julie Benkovic
12/13/2008 12:40 PM

I make nutroll almost with the exact ingredients,the whole 2oz. cake goes into this recipe.
1oz.= 1 cake
Glad to be of help,
Julie

I have a Slovak Nut roll recipe that calls for "two cakes yeast" to be dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water with 1 tsp of sugar, to be mixed with 8 cups flour, 1 lb margarine, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 pint sr cream, 6 egg yolks....my qestion is: what size yeast cakes? I found two oz. yeast cakes at the store and two of them seems to be alot, but I don't know for sure...please help!

MARY C MCDONALD
MARY C MCDONALD
11/26/2008 10:37 AM

How many ounces is a cake of yeast?

Wow... that's a lot of yeast. First find several people to share it with, then refrigerate or freeze what's left. Hope that helps!

Paula, I am afraid going thru 2 lbs of yeast at home is impossible! I would donate it to charity or a bakery!

A friend knows I like to cook (which is quite different from baking)and left two 1 lb blocks of compressed yeast at my house the other day. I have no idea what to do with it or how to store it? I hate to see it go to waste so any easy/beginner baking recipes would be helpful.

Rocio Galarza
Rocio Galarza
08/11/2008 01:56 PM

Hi one package is 0.25 oz or equals,
2 1/2 teaspoons of dry yeast. when is fresh yeast the amount is double.
I hope this help you good luck.

trying to find equilivent measurement to 1 large cake of yeast to todays packets of yeast or how much yeast makes a large cake of yeast in tablespoon or teaspoon measurements

Pam,

Someplace above, Rose says "to convert cake yeast to instant yeast, for 1 packed tablespoon cake yeast use 2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry."

"2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry" means that the two are equivalent. Since 2 teaspoons is 20% less than 2-1/2 teaspoons, I am assuming that the conversion is to reduce any active dry yeast amount by 20%. I think a package of active dry yeast is... 2-1/4 tsp? So the equivalent amount of instant would be 2.25 tsp - 20% = 1.8 tsp, so say 1.75 or 1-3/4 tsp (1 tsp + 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp (or maybe a "generous" 1/4 tsp to increase from 1.75 to 1.8).

Did you find out the equivalent? I, too, would like to know the answer to that one. If you find out, would you please let me know. Thank You from Oklahoma

Gene Schwimmer
Gene Schwimmer
10/28/2007 11:00 PM

What is the instant-dry-yeast equivalent of a standard package of active dry yeast?

Andrew Rericha
Andrew Rericha
10/ 7/2007 10:28 AM

Dear Kim,
Try 7g dry yeast ( Fleischman or equivalent)
Dry yeast is approx.twice as potent than compressed fresh cake yeast by
weight.
Andrew

Rose,
I have an old recipe that I want to try for cinnnamon rolls and it calls for 1c of Sponge. OK, but it also calls for 1/2 yeast cake, can you convert this? I have no idea how big a yeast cake is, but the rest of the recipe for the sponge.
1/2 c scalded milk
1/4 c cold water
1/2 t salt
1/2 yeast cake
2 t sugar
1 c bread flour

yes--by all means do as i have the poppyseed mill (of course!)

Further to Erich Dorfner.
Please let me apologize to the forum at large, that I gave this recipe for Germknödel in German.I figured since you mentioned trouble with translating cookbooks ,it would be easier for you to follow.
This is a Chech recipe.As you probably know It comes from a number of dishes the neighbors to the North of Vienna are responsibel for. It is in the same family of dishes with the famous powidl tascherl.
Powidl, in German Pflaumenmus, you should get in any respectable Delikatessen store.
Mohn, we call it poppiseed here, must be sent thru a mill before its use in this dish.This, to develope its full taste
You will have to get a Mohnmühle for this task.You should be able to get a manual model at a reasonable price.
I only prepare as much as I use at one time for the recipe.The oils of the crushed seeds break down, after a few days at room temperature, becoming rancid.
If you succeed, please let the forum know.
Enjoy,
Andrew

Andrew Rericha
Andrew Rericha
09/25/2007 03:28 PM

To Erich Dorfner.

sent Rose a recipe
Andrew

this generous info is from andrew sent by mistake to g-mail instead of posted. thank you andres.

Germknödel, böhmische:

Aus 1/2kg Mehl, 5dkg Butter, 5Dkg Zucker, 2 ganzen Eiern, 1 1/2dkg
aufgelöster Germ, etwas Salz und 1/4Liter Milch bereitet man einen nicht zu
lockeren Germteig den man aufgehen läszt. Daraus formt man Knödel von der
Grösze eines mittleren Apfels, füllt sie innen mit Powidl drückt sie gut
zusammen, damit die Fülle ncht herausquillt und legt sie auf ein Brett zum
Aufgehen. Sind sie auf einer Seite aufgegangen.dreht man sie um und läszt
sie auch auf der zweiten Seite gehen, bis sie sich wie Samt anfühlen. Man
kocht sie in Salzwasser in einem ziemlich groszen Gefäsz. Dasz sie gekocht
sind, sieht man am besten.wenn man mit einer Stricknadel hineinsticht und
diese nicht mehr teigig ist. Nun hebt man die Knödel mit einem Schaumlöffel
schnell heraus und schneided sie seitlich etwas ein, damit die Luft
entweichen kann und die Knödel nicht zusammenfallen. Man legt sie zum
abtropfen auf ein Sieb. Vor dem Anrichten bestreut man sie mit Mohn und
Zucker und übergieszt sie mit Heiszem Fett mit Butter gemischt. Sie müssen
gleich serviert werden.

Rose, Above recipe is from Küchenmeister Rum der Kronenzeitung. in Vienna
Approx. 1930-1938 a bible in Austria at that time. If Erich gets more from
than the 20 stueck he is talking about, he can send me the rest.
Best Regards,
Andrew

Erich Dorfner
Erich Dorfner
09/25/2007 02:19 PM

I am a ex Viennese, love Germknoedeln, having problems in translating the cookbook, does anybody have a recipe for Germknoedeln, so 20 stueck would be perefct for a beginning.
Thanks

Andrew Rericha
Andrew Rericha
12/30/2006 08:26 PM

Thank you Rose, you are most generous in your answer.
Now to give an answer to Valcsi posted on Dec 23/06

20g fresh yeast( compressed type ) is about 10g dry yeast(Fleischmann e.t.c.) since I believe the ratio of its activity dry versus fresh yeast is about 1:2 in other words we need only half the weight in dry yeast to be equivalent to fresh compressed cake yeast.
Rose, please check me out on this.This is my formula, but I don't want to misleed.
Andrew

andrew--this is very lovely! i'm 1/4 austro-hungarian so i love knowing all this. i'll print this out for myself for future understanding. in my new book i'm adding more metric as in centrigrade and fluid ounces. it's mind boggling all the numbers and proofing. i hope you can now make the bread! and without gram!

Andrew Rericha
Andrew Rericha
12/30/2006 03:12 PM

Rose, Pardon my spelling.
gramm = german spelling of gram.
Writing gram in german means sorrow.The feeling you have when your bread collapses.
Andrew

Andrew Rericha
Andrew Rericha
12/30/2006 02:41 PM

Rose, 1dkg = 10g typical Austrian Measure re- posting by Valcsi Dec.23/06
Please note it is not 1/10 of a kilogram which was your answer, but it is 1/100 of a kilogramm.1-gramm = 1/1000 of a kilogramm.
Fortunateli you mentioned that amount of yeast would be too much using your conversion factor. 10 times too much.
These darn Austrians and their dekagamm recipees. I am one of them. My mother used to ask me to go to the butcher in the village for 10dkg of salami.I am an expert on that measure.
Love,
Andrew

i suspect that a dkg is a deci kilogram which is 1/10th of a kilogram. if this is so then it would be 200 grams which is a huge amount. maybe the recipe is a commercial one intended for volume baking. check this out and then use the conversion info. posted above.

Hi,

I'm using a european recipe that calls for 2 dkg cake yeast, but I want to use Fleischmann's rapid rise. How much rapid rise equals 2 dkg cake yeast?
Please HELP!!!
Thanks

cake yeast can look fresh but not be fresh. if in doubt try proofing it with a pinch of sugar and warm water. if i'ts been working for you all this time and nothing has changed it has to be the yeast.

I have been baking bread by hand for the last 2-3 years with no problem until now.

My yeast which is fresh, will not rise. I thought it might be the water, and bought some purified water, but the same thing happens - suddenly this has happened. What can it be?

p.s. but since the posting above yours was referring to a 3 ounce cake of yeast i bet that's it!

i'm sorry, i have no idea what the weight of a large cake of yeast would be.

I have an old family recipe for nut rolls which call for "1/2 large cake yeast". What weight is considered a large cake of yeast? I am unable to find cake yeast at any of my local stores.

there are two kinds of dry yeast
1) instant active dry yeast
2) active dry yeast
a 3 ounce cake of yeast is equal to:
8 teaspoons instant active dry
10 teaspoons active dry

1 teaspoons of either dry yeast weighs 3.2 grams
1 ounce=28.35 grams

How many teaspoons of dry yeast are the equivalent of a 3 ounze yeast cake?

yes reeni, that's the address for sending photos.

no better time for a bubbling pot full of oil than Chanukkah! I believe they are called Sufganiyot?
Have yet to send you the picture, (hubby fiddled with the computer and the way i used to download from my camera doesn't work anymore) though we made some more today. Is the correct address rose@realbakingwith rose.com?

what a treasure reeni (you as well!)

what i meant about freshly made is that home cooks don't generally have a pot of oil at the ready so when they do this it's often not worth it for say 6 of them and once fried THAT'S when they need to be eaten soon after. but it's a great advantage that the dough actually benefits from being made ahead.

I'm glad to do this! I will email the recipe and picture to you separately as well. As far as being freshly made, the technique we used was retarding the dough after shaping -- as we rounded them we put them side by side on a large sheet pan and froze them before they warmed up and started to proof. Then twice a day we would pull maybe 8-10 orders' worth and let them defrost and proof. It really works! You can round them all out then only carry through 6-10 at a time, freezing the rest.
Bomboloni (Round Filled Doughnuts)
Makes 30

1 oz. compressed yeast
2 oz. warm water
15 oz all-purpose flour (or 8 oz high-gluten and 7 oz cake flour)
2 tsp. salt
1 2/3 oz sugar
5 eggs
6 ½ oz. butter, cut in 8 pieces

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl and make a well. Add eggs and yeast mixture to well and mix with dough hook on low speed until combined, scrape down bowl, then increase speed to medium and mix 8-10 minutes. Add butter and mix until the dough is smooth and comes away from the sides of the bowl cleanly, adding additional flour (up to 1oz) if necessary.
Cover and let ferment in bowl at room temperature 20 minutes. Refrigerate 1 hour, then pat out onto plastic-lined half sheet pan into a rectangle ¾ inch thick, dusting with flour as necessary, and chill or freeze until firm, or up to 2 hours.
Lay a cloth on a sheet pan and dust generously with flour. Divide the dough rectangle with a bench scraper into 30 pieces (5 one way, 6 the other) and round as for rolls. As they are rounded, place the doughnuts on the cloth 2 inches apart. Cover with plastic wrap and let proof until very light and doubled, 35-40 minutes.
Fry at 350 until golden brown, turning with spoon 2-3 times to avoid a white ring around the middle. Drain on paper towels.
Fit a pastry bag with a ¼ inch tip and pastry cream or jam. Pierce each doughnut in its center and fill while still warm. Roll in granulated sugar.

My favorite is raspberry jam, but today I tried apple jelly and rolled them in cinnamon sugar and that was delicious too.
I'm trying work on a chocolate version (possibly based on the chocolate brioche in Charlie Trotter's Dessert book), but it's a work in progress.

reeni i would LOVE to post that recipe. i wrote about it in an article for hemisphere's magazine. they are the BEST. the reason i don't like to make doughnuts is bc they are really best freshly made but there are many who would have more mouths to feed who would really benefit from this recipe. and sooner or later i'll get to make them for a dinner party!
in order to get a photo posted to the blog you need to send it to me and i'll ask my blog master to post it along with the recipe! thanks!

Rose, I just saw your reply about never having made yeasted doughnuts! I too had a fear of them until having to fry a few dozen twice a day at the Maccionis' 2 restaurants, where they are called bomboloni. I have the recipe (tweaked of course to make only 30 instead of the 200+ batch size!) and make it sometimes in my classes... today was one of them!
It is unusual in comparison to others because they are so light in texture, like a brioche but without so much butter. At the restaurant they filled them with pastry cream, but I like a jam filling. I have yet to find a way to post a picture here, but I am posting to campaign in favor of fresh homemade doughnuts. There is nothing to compare. I'll email you the recipe and picture I took today if you want it.

ask king arthur to give you the name and phone number of the place in vermont that makes these boxes and then they will be able to tell you who now distributes them.

they often discontinue products so the best way to be sure of this is to call their 800 number. somehow i think this is a product they would continue to carry. i think they are only open on weekdays but it's worth a try even today.
by the way, the ones they carried have little handles that are totally useless but i like the thickness of the acrylic.

bed bath and beyond has loads of acrylic boxes in all sizes. they are not very expensive but king arthur carries some beautiful heavy weight acrylic boxes designed to fit over a sheet pan. i use them all depending on the size of the bread.

Your Bread Bible book recommends using an acrylic proof box. I thought that this was a great idea, rather than just covering the dough, but have been unable to find one anywhere. Is there somewhere that these can be purchased?

i'm sorry but i can't give advice on a recipe that is not mine. i work painstackingly to ensure that my recipes are reproducable by others. the moment one starts substituting things like rice flour that has no gluten it becomes a total unknown.

I have been trying to make French bread but using a mixture of rice flour and all purpose flour (it's from a recipe on the internet) Anyways, I put in a cup of water as indicated and the dough would be too sticky even after the second rise. When I reduce the amount to 3/4 cup the dough is more manageable and still double and even triple in size. Then I would shape it and let it rise the second time. When I transfer the dough and flip it over to slit it it then deflate though. In the oven it would barely rise. So is it better to not flip or transfer dough but instead place it directly into oven? Should I slit the formed dough before or after the second rise? And what advice can you give about the amount of water? Thanks.

the only thing i know about quantity baking is wedding cakes. i must confess never to have made yeast donuts. but from what i know about bread and biyali's for example, is that you shape them (or cut them) before they start to rise and then allow them to rise til almost double.

bill shaidnagle
bill shaidnagle
08/20/2006 07:20 AM

I have been making yeast donuts for a while. After mixing the dry ingredients and then the liquids I roll the dough 300 times. My question is, how long do I let the dough rise before I began to cut for donuts,etc.? My batch will make about 140 pieces of pastry.

1 package instant yeast which weighs 0.25 oz/7 grams=1 packaged tablespoon plus 1/2 packed teaspoon fresh cake yeast.
for future reference, to do your own calculations: 1 teaspoon instant yeast=3.1 grams.
1 ounce = 28.35 grams

What is the tsp equivalent for 1 package instant yeast (.25 oz)? I have a large block of instant, but all my recipes call for 1 package. Please help! Thanks

yes--the amount of INSTANT yeast is correct. look to the rising time listed in the recipe as your guide. if the bread is taking longer than i specified the yeast is probably not fresh enough (though i store mine in the freezer and it's good for up to 2 years!).

the reason the flavor is so good is because of the slower rise. you can certainly add more yeast or place the rising bread in a warmer place (no higher than 85 degrees) for a faster rise but then the flavor is compromised.

as for the heavier and coarser texture, if you increase the water it will be lighter in texture. the bread can be quite sticky after mixing and after the first rise the water absorbs more evenly and the stickiness disappears. you can dust it with a little more flour if necessary.

more risings will give you a finer texture though most artisan bakers are striving for a more open crumb.

hope this helps.

yes--the amount of INSTANT yeast is correct. look to the rising time as your guide. if the bread is taking longer than i specified the yeast is probably not fresh enough (though i store mine in the freezer and it's good for up to 2 years!).

the reason the flavor is so good is because of the slower rise.you can certainly add more yeast or place the rising bread in a warmer place (no higher than 85 degress) for a faster rise.

as to the heavier and coarser texture, if you increase the water it will be lighter in texture. more rising will give you a finer texture though most artisan bakers are striving for a more open crumb.

hope this helps.

Sandra S. Bell
Sandra S. Bell
07/13/2006 01:08 PM

I have been using your receipe for white bread. It calls for 3/4 teaspoon yeast in the Sponge, and then 3/4 teaspoon in the flour mixture and dough. Is that correct? My bread doesn't seem to rise as well as other receipes that uses a little more yeast. I have made it several times and get the same results. My results for Basic SW bread is a heavier and is courser than my other receipe. I love the crunch crust and the flavor of your bread. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sandy Bell

use instant yeast aka bread machine yeast and add it directly to the flour. store the rest in the freezer in a sealed container.

i am trying to get my yeast to rise but i must be doing somethinf wrong all the time, it will never rise for me. what am i doing wrong and can you help me or tell me what to do? thank you.

Betsy Markum
Betsy Markum
05/23/2006 11:19 PM

I can't believe it, my co-worker just bought a car for $77708. Isn't that crazy!

I am looking for a place where I can purchase caked compressed yeast either online, or in my area close to Spanish Fork, Utah. Does anyone know who would carry it, or where I can purchase it online? Thank you, Carol

liz, cake yeast comes in different sizes. i can't help you without knowing the size except to say that the average bread uses 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast per cup of flour.

brian, i find absolutely no difference in taste between cake yeast and instant. i prefer instant because it is so reliable and easy. with cake yeast you can't even tell how fresh it is without proofing it first.
be sure to store the instant in the freezer in small containers so you don't have to open the whole thing every time you want a teaspoon. this keeps it fresh for as long as 2 years!

sparks, if you half the yeast in the pizza dough it will simply rise more slowly--not ruin the dough. a trick used in industry is to use a certain % of dead yeast which incrases the extensibility (stretchy quality) of the dough.
to increase the speed of the rise without increasing the yeast you can add ground caroway seeds--yeast loves eatng that. you can also make a proof box using a plastic box or use your oven, with the light on (only if no pilot light as it is too hot) and put a glass of very hot water in the oven. change the water every half hour and the dough will surely rise faster. don't overheat the dough as it will develop off flavors and ultimately kill the yeast.

i have a recipe for fillozes (portuguese doughnuts) an it calles for one yeast cake, how much is that in instant yeast or active dry?

could you tell me which is better cake yeast or instant? i bake at home just curious

What would the differnce be if any in taste

If I only have half of the amount of yeast called for in a recipie (in this case, a recipie for pizza dough), does it generally mean that the bread will simply rise more slowly or might the bread be ruined? My concern is that the biproducts of extra generations of yeast might add odd flavors to the dough.

Also, are there any tricks for getting the yeast to reproduce more energeticly to get the under-yeasted bread to rise as quickly as possible?

Thank you for your information.

if you're referring to cake yeast, that depends on how fresh it was when you put it in the refrigerator, and how cold the refrigerator is. I prefer to use instant yeast. I close the container securely and place it in a freezer weight plastic bag and freeze it. It stays fresh as long as two years.

How long does yeast last in the refridgerator?

that depends on the size of the cake yeast. what is the weight?

how much dry yeast is equal to one large cake yeast?

if you have the cake bible, use the highest amount of sourcream and you will have a wonderfully moist cake. i don't use applesauce in cake so don't have a recipe for this but i'm sure if you google it you will find some. anyone out there have a favorite?

I want to make a banana bread with applesaucee (extra moist). Can you help me?