My Favorite Plastic Wrap!!!

Jan 8, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

if only i had known that the old style saran, known as “the original premium wrap,” was going off the market to be replaced by a saran that was no longer air or smell-tight, i would have bought up as many cases as i had room to store. but now it’s too late.

i discovered this sad news by e-mail when some other desperate baker asked “now what do i use to store cakes airtight in the freezer?” after canvassing all the local markets for the old-style saran, with no luck, i tried every other wrap i could find. i knew, from working for reynolds metals company many years ago, that wraps other than saran had microscopic air holes that prevented produce from spoiling, and were not intended for wrapping things airtight in the freezer.

the producer of my pbs show, marjorie poore, shipped me a roll of her favorite plastic wrap called “stretch tight,” that she bought in cosco, saying that i would become so addicted to this wrap i would beg her to send it to me on a regular basis. to my delight she was right! it did indeed cling tightly to the bowl or whatever else i was wrapping but not being impermeable, it too wasn’t suitable for freezing cakes. still, it was the best thing i could find and i wanted more but hesitated to ask her to ship me plastic wrap from the west coast on a regular basis so i called the number on the side of the box and eureka! not only can the wrap be ordered on the internet, they also produce a wrap designed for the freezer called “freeze tite”! not only is it significantly thicker, it is also wider (15 inches wide). the manufacturer assured me that it is almost as impermeable as the old-style saran. now i can stop complaining.
here’s the website:
www.stretchtite.com

Comments

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Charles
11/ 4/2011 09:16 AM

wonderful! the power of the internet and especially of a fantastic product!

I just received a letter from Publix yesterday saying that they have received so many negative comments, that they were going to reinstate carrying Stretch Tite.
Wow! A large supermarket chain that actually listens to their customers! Kudos to Publix.

I agree...very disappointed that Publix in Pinellas county has stopped carrying Stretch Tite, the BEST plastic wrap I have ever used. Good idea, I will contact Publix and let them know my displeasure to this action.

Stretch-Tite is the only wrap we have used for years and refuse to use anything else! We will be notifying Publix about our displeasure and asking them to bring it back! Please do the same all of you Publix shoppers...

I live in the South, and a major super market chain down here has stopped carrying Stretch-tite. If anyone one else shops at Publix to buy Stretch-Tite plastic wrap, please contact Publix customer service about their decision to discontinue the best wrap they sell. Publix is a great chain with stellar customer service. But I think they made a poor decision in this case.

thank you all for alerting me to this wonderful device--posting to come this friday!

I tried to find the (micrometer) thickness of the wrap. It seems fewer bag and wrap manufacturers are including this information, probably because they keep making their products thinner and thinner... The Freeze-tite is thicker/heavier than the Stretch-tite, but I do not know how it compares to the commercial product.

Here is the pvfilms main site where you can get an idea of all they make.

On the products page, I found this information:

"The Stretch-Tite® Slide Cutter™ is available to fit all of our Stretch-Tite® Premium Food Wrap consumer products as well as our 12", 18" and 24" Professional Food Wrap and Foodservice Film products." (http://www.pvfilms.com/user/page.aspx?id=2)

BUT - if you add one to the cart, it says it is 12"...so be careful. You may need to call to see if a longer one really is available.

The Freeze-tite wrap I just got is almost 15 inches wide and a little over 250 feet long, in a sturdy box that will fit comfortably in my wrap drawer. (The Stretch-tite is 12" wide and 500 ft long.) I just looked inside the roll and there is no slide cutter in the box. But from the message I quoted above, one should be available. I would love to try one. As I said before, I do LOVE my Wrapmaster, but the Freeze-tite does not fit in it. BTW....they might be now calling it the Wrap'n Snap 7500, from the Stretch-tite website....that is definitely a new name. I just was looking at this two weeks ago for my sister, and it was still called the Wrapmaster.

On their website they seem to encourage communication...either email or phone.

Hopefully, we can count on this product to maintain its good quality!

Does anyone know what the difference is between their product "PV FILMS CUTTER BOX" and the stretch-tite/freeze-tite products? I'd prefer to have the wider box and it comes in an 18" width. They didn't respond to my email when I asked them.

i don't think the freeze tite has the slide cutter does it?

that's really interesting. i have one someone sent me from "chef's review" and whereas the plastic wrap didn't hold a candle to stretch tite, i did like the dispenser!

They are for sale on their site for $3, towards the bottom:

Rose, my stretch-tite boxes came with one. It was inside the tube, and it fits on top of the cutting blade. My sister bought them for me at Costco.

stretch tight doesn't come with a slide cutter (to my knowledge) so are you saying you can get one for it? i also love slide cutters.

Mary, that is a great account of events. thx for sharing. i am debating on the wrapmaster, as i currently adore the slide cutter.

I have used Stretch-tite for at least 10 years since I got a Wrapmaster 2500 packaged with 2 rolls at our new BJ's Wholesale Club....my Wrapmaster is still working, and I have used Stretch-tite ever since because of it's superior ability to cling and keep foods fresh. I LOVE it! I have been wanting to get some of the Freeze-tite too, especially after reading Rose's accolades, and ordered some off the internet. It just arrived today! My only disappointment is that it doesn't fit in the Wrapmaster - it is longer (- and I want to encourage the folks at Polyvinyl Films to make a Wrapmaster to fit Freeze-tite.) To be fair, though, the box the wrap comes in is very sturdy and will hold up well to use, no doubt.

I LOVE the Wrapmaster, LOVE the wrap. I also know that many of the huge, bulk sized, institutional wraps some of you are fans of are also made by Polyvinyl Films, so are essentially, Stretch- and/or Freeze-tite. The advantage to buying the Stretch-tite and Freeze-tite are that they can fit easily into your kitchen drawer but still last a LONG time as they are much longer rolls than the store brands, and the Wrapmaster 2500 is just such a great help in the kitchen. Look it up and you will see almost 100% great reviews by users.

BTW - Like Hector, I have been using a piece of the film over my bowls before putting on the lids to provide a better seal and to keep gunk from out of the crevices of the lid. Good idea! And the roll of Stretch-tite lasts and lasts -

how to improve an airtight container.

1- you have a plastic or glass airtight food container, such as tupperware, snapware, pyrex, rubbermaid, libbey, etc. the lid is usually plastic, sometimes glass, sometimes has a reinforced double edge or a silicone gasket seal.

2- lids are hard to wash, edges become soiled.

3- lids aren't really tight, there is some seeping out, specially liquids.

4- when you open the lids, food spills, drips off the lid edges.

the solution is here: cover the container with plastic wrap, such as stretch-tite, prior placing the lid. things become TIGHTER, CLEANER, and MESS FREE! you can use your improved airtight container to mix salad dressings, or even whip cream, by shaking it like a cocktail shaker, that is how tight it gets.

patrick, i post savory recipes too! feel free to post your rib recipe!

clever you! yes--i think there is. maybe you should call jp prince company--they would know and they would have it if it exists! let us know please.

Strange to see this again. I've read a couple times now about recipes from chefs calling for plastic wrap to be used in conventional ovens. I wonder if there is a professional product they are using and haven't thought that it is not the same product available to consumers.

I agree that is if-fy to heat on plastic, even when declared "safe."

I've been baking a few Biscuit de Savoie on home made aluminum foil cake pans (Cake Bible's instructions), at 325oF, and was concerned that the tape used to hold these pans together would melt. I used traditional 3M Scotch Tape, the one with dull pale white surface that goes transparent once taped.

I suppose you can go to 3M website and read the MSDS for the temperature limits. In my case, it did not melt, but the one piece that touched my oven rack when removing the pan after baking time finished, got stuck/semi-melted on the rack!

My 2 German friends, always tell me that in their country, NOBODY wants to even microwave with plastic wrap, neither use it to store food in the refrigerator, and never touching food directly!

response from the manufacturer:

"We can not recommend using anything plastic in conventional ovens. It will
melt."

Patrick B. McGee
Patrick B. McGee
02/ 4/2008 09:00 AM

I followed an Emeril recipe that wraps BabyBck Ribs in plastic wrap and then in foil (along with other ingredients) and bakes at 350 degrees in oven for 3hrs. Stretch Tite is amazing and my ribs have no competition. The Stretch Tite advertises that it is "Microwave Safe". Unless it actually melts, which it doesn't, is there any other concers with this wrap going in the oven?

Roxanne, Hey, Thanks, I went back to the stretch-tite site and instead of going into the "products" listing I went to the "purchase" listing and ordered the 2500. Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Thanks, I went to that address and it does have stretch-tite listed, but I'm not sure if it's the 2500 or just the wrap. When I clicked on the picture, the description explain that it is no longer available, so I'm thinking that they're just selling the wrap. I may be wrong, but there's not a tel number listed to confirm.

TomO:

The Wrapmaster dispenser can be bought directly from their website: www.stretchtite.com

I've been using Stetch-tite for a number of years and with the Wrapmaster
2500 Dispenser. It's great to just pull the wrap over a dish and close the lid which cuts the stretch-tite neatly.
I have to replace mine and cannot find a dealer. It appears that the 2500 is not being manufactured and is not available. Does anyone know where I can purchase one?
Thanks

Try using 2 layers of regular or any-brand plastic wrap. It works for me, makes things super air tight that I can even hold pebbles on it.

Audry Weintrob
Audry Weintrob
05/17/2007 10:54 AM

The Smart & Final brand is great - is it sold in New York City? Otherwise, is it possible to order it?

There's a brand of plastic wrap that is even better than Stretch-Tie, because it is so thick and clings with ridiculous water and air-tightness: Smart & Final's store brand plastic wrap. You really need to try it to believe it. Hopefully, there's a Smart & Final where you are. If not, let me know where to send it.

jim--i don't have the paper so i went to the site and put in a search and nothing there. maybe it's not on their site yet? can you send a link? can't wait to see it!

Rose,

Did you see the new use for Stretch-Tite in the Style section of todays New York Times?

Jim

Rose,

Just as an FYI you can tell your fans that Stretch-Tite is now available at D'Agostino's in New York. Did you receive the recent info I sent?

Jim Baldwin

i've not tried this brand but i can tell you that freeze-tite is much thicker than stretch-tite and is designed for the freezer. just got a dispensor for the stretch tite which is also fantastic. it's called the wrapmaster 2500 and is on their site. i LOVE it as i use plastic wrap all day long to cover ingredients i'm preparing for a recipe. without plastic wrap or a cover, chocolate syrups and other liquids would evaporate, brown sugar harden, egg yolks crust over, etc. being able to "chomp off" the plastic wrap with one decisive downward punch is a lot faster and easier than any other means i've found.

Renee Gleason
Renee Gleason
01/11/2006 06:49 PM

A friend of mine who owns a restaurant gets me plastic wrap from his supplier, Sysco. I swear by this stuff, as it sticks to virtually anything and appears to be very strong. Any idea if it's freezer tight? I, too, have used stretch tite, and while I really like it, I like the Sysco brand even better. It just seems stronger to me.

When Saran changed its product, I too began the search for a replacement and found Stretch Tite. The King Arthur Flour Catalog (sorry, Gold Medal) has carried it for a number of years and this is where I first read about it and bought it. Now, my local Kroger carries it. I think it is better than Saran used to be, actually.

Yes, I have been in love with the stretch tite for a while now, but I am excited to learn about the freeze tite!!

And, I had no idea that there was a permeability problem with most plastic wraps, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks! I love Stretch-Tite too and thought it was only available at Costco. I could never get Saran Wrap or Reynolds Wrap to actually stick.