heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA | Canada | France | Germany | Japan | UK

Recipes from My PBS Show Baking Magic with Rose

Jan 11, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

BENNIE QUESTION

I saw your show on Channel 13 PBS today. You were baking a banana cream pie. Is this recipe available online or what?

ROSE REPLY

please contact the producer marjorie poore for recipes from the show (marjorie@mpptv.com)

Comments

Rose levy beranbaum
Rose levy beranbaum in reply to comment from Myrl Trimble
05/25/2013 12:09 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this myrl. I only have used it with home made pie crusts which don't stick. I would definitely spray it if using the refrigerator crust.

Myrl Trimble
Myrl Trimble
05/25/2013 11:23 AM

I recently ordered your beautiful pie plate because I'd broken my white ceramic one. But...I don't make pies often and our favorite is rhubarb. So when some appeared in the grocery store, I couldn't wait to use my beautiful red pie plate. Wow! What a mess when it was baked and I tried to cut it to serve! The crust stuck to all the scallops and I had to chip it out. I use Pillsbury refrigerated crusts. Should I have sprayed the scallops? I'm afraid to use it again and it was rather expensive plus shipping. Help!

i'm not sure anyone has this recipe as it was made during WWII but one of the reasons it lasted that long was that it was imbibed with a very high proof alcohol. i tasted it and it was interesting just that it could have been edible after so many years but certainly not something i'd crave to have again!

I'm enjoying your Bread Book and you mentioned "The Hundred Year Old Bread". Do you have the recipe? If so please email it to my email address. So far I haven't fount this very special recipe.

Please Help Me.
I want to help you, too.

i hope you did a search on the blog bc i KNOW there was some discussion about a strawberry cake someone made for their little girl!

Joanne - are you looking for a cake with strawberries or strawberry flavor in the cake layers themselves? I can't recall any recipes like that off-hand, but maybe someone else does.

You could try swirling strawberry jam or puree through a plain cake.

If you use a genoise or sponge-type cake, you could put on a strawberry syrup -- I'd go to the frozen juice section in the grocery store and see if I can find a good frozen strawberry juice blend concentrate. Then I'd make up a bit of syrup using the undiluted concentrate -- taste it & see if it is too strong, if so, dilute it. A thin layer of strawberry jam and a thicker layer of strawberry cloud cream mixed with sliced strawberries for filling...

Let us know how it goes!

Joanne Snyder
Joanne Snyder
05/18/2008 01:10 PM

My friend wants me to bake a strawberry cake, which I can not fine in all my baking books plus yours. I bake alot. I would appreicate it very much, but I need a answer right away,because this is for my friend's granddaughter's birthday in two weeks. I thank you very much. Joanne

According to the U.S. government’s Code of Federal Regulations, heavy cream must consist of at least 36 percent milk fat, whipping cream (sometimes also called light whipping cream) at least 30 percent but no more than 36 percent.

Here is a page I found that has a lot of substitutions that may help

Shuang, I think whipping cream is a little lighter than heavy cream - but they both whip, so if you just wanted whipped cream as a topping, you could use either. As an ingredient, of course, the difference in fat content could make a difference (perhaps only a slight one) in the finished product. I don't have my "bibles" with me at the moment, but I know that in at least one of them Rose has a procedure to add something (butter, I think) to cream to approximate the butterfat content of old fashioned cream. Maybe you could do something similar to milk to approximate half-and-half? Let us know if you need us to get some info off half-and-half or heavy cream containers for fat content to help you in your quest... :)

i'm sorry i can't go into detail as i'm away but just want to say that half and half is light cream and milk and that all the percentages are in the ingredient section of the cake bible.not all things have substitutions such as cream cheese. i think the best idea is to take a baking course at a professional school where they have experience using the ingredients that are available in your country and/or experiment on your own. this is what i did when i was in england translating the cake bible to their ingredients. i started off using the information from the cake bible as to ingredient contents and compared them to what was available.luckily they were listed on the UK containers which made it easier.

Well, I am from the US so I know what they are. But they don't have them ready made here, so I wonder if I can mix my own and use the substitutions for Rose's recipes. If so, what proportions of things should I use?

Shuang - here in the US Whipping
Cream and Heavy Cream are the same thing, and Half-and-Half is a combination of heavy cream and milk. I hope that info helps you.

We pretty much just have sour cream, whipping cream and buttermilk. That's about it. :(

Oh gee... what kind of creams do you have in Singapore?

When the pie cream calls for half-and-half and heavy cream, what can I use as substitutions if they don't have such things here in the tiny island of Singapore?

sites closed and all recipes posted on this blog. please put the words baking magic in the search and you'll have them or scroll down on the main page as they were posted recently.

I'm unable to access the bakingmagic.com site. Was wondering what the names of the cakes you made on the 2/17/07 program was. One was chocolate and the other vanilla. Recipes? Thanks.

as i've posted on the blog--if you did a search you would see it--the producer has chose to remove the site that contained all the recipes i had edited for the show. i'm sorry you think this is some kind of ploy but it was out of my control. therefore, i suggest you go to the top of the posting here and contact the producer.

I thought I would be able to go in to bakingmagic.com, as stated in your TV show for recipies. The different sites that come up never seem to provide any recipies. Is this just a ploy to sell your books? I never did find the recipe I was looking for, but based on the many comments posted, it appears I am not the only one.

Jennie Molinas
Jennie Molinas
01/17/2007 02:37 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. I have a picture from the website THE CAKE BIBLE.COM It shows a beautiful picture of the cake. Mine never looks like that. In the directions, it states to use the whisk beater, for one step, but never directs you to change to the flat beater. I take things very literally when I bake.
I shall try the cake again in the future and let you know if I succeed in getting a higher pound cake. Again thanks for the quick anwer.

you're right--the recipe should have said switch to the flat beater though i wouldn't think using th whisk would result in a flat cake. ut to what picture are you referring? in the cake bible i don't say to use the whisk beater so i'm puzzled.
in general, the flat beater is used unless the whisk beater is specified and it would be mostly for foam cakes such as génoise or chiffon or whenever beating egg whites.

Jennie Molinas
Jennie Molinas
01/16/2007 09:14 AM

In your recipe for Lemon Poppyseed pound cake you first state that the dry ingredients should be mixed with the whisk beater. I did this, but you did not say anything about changing to the flat beater. I prepared the cake with the whisk beater for all the steps. My pound cake came out flat, this has happened several times. It never looks like your pound cake picture. What am Idoing wrong?

pbs affiliates have the right to air a show for three years after which the producers would have to reissue it if they wanted to and/or if pbs wants to buy it.

by the rest of the year i meant til sept. 07. thanks for asking!

thanks for the heads up, rose! i need to make some quick friend in ohio!

by the rest of this year, do you mean for one more month? what happens to the series after that?

best,

justin it appears that the producers, whose site it was, decided to close the site as i get the same message that it doesn't exist anymore when i try to access it.

jeff i know that the main channel in ohio will start airing the series in december. do a search on the blog as i posted this. i don't know if tivo can operate out of the immediate area but you could call your local affiliate and ask them to air the show. they have the right to air it for the rest of this year.

I haven't visited the baking magic website in a while, but now when I try it doesn't work. Just wondering what was going on there.

after a chance viewing of one of these episodes, i have been trying to see the remaider of the series. i have had the TIVO primed for eons now, but nothing!

i am in delaware, and have:
WHYY 12 (Philly)
NJN 23
WLVT 39

does anyone have any idea if and when i will get this program?
thanks!

gail, the recipe is on my pbs website: www.bakingmagic.com
it's also in the pie and pastry bible.

i think you should bake your house using extra stable gingerbread cookies from "rose's christmas cookies." if you are really ambitious you could do the nôtre dame cathedral complete with flying buttressed though heating could be expensive.

Courtney Gidts
Courtney Gidts
06/ 6/2006 08:36 PM

I've managed to save up roughly $16804 in my bank account, but I'm not sure if I should buy a house or not. Do you think the market is stable or do you think that home prices will decrease by a lot?

I saw your show today (01-26-06) and would love to have your recipe for the crustless apple pie that you made. I can't seem to find it anywhere on your website. Thanks,
Gail

what a gentleman! thanks--you won't regret it. and you're saving me from having to search for it on my home computer etc etc when i will only have 2 days before departure of a two week trip!
i can't imagine why it is the one recipe that slipped off the website of baking magic--maybe the file got corrupt or maybe they decided that it was too good a recipe to offer free! it's from the pie and pastry bible and what's more the book contains a second version that is tiered for a wedding for those who prefer pie or tart to cake! by the way, food and wine also chose that recipe from the book to put in their annual book "best of the best."

I am enjoying the posted recipes. The one I REALLY want is "Peanut Butter and Chocolate Mousse Pie", which is not online. Which book is it in (so I can buy it for just that recipe!)

sorry--i fixed it. i wasn't entering the url correctly. now i know how to do it for future postings.

i'll ask my blog master to check this out as it worked when i entered it but when i try to access it now from this blog it doesn't seem to. it should be: www.bakingmagic.com

Hmmm ... . Technology.

For what it's worth, in my browser, the Baking Magic link in the first post currently shows a URL of "http:///" with nothing else beyond the three slashes.

(I use Firefox, and Windows 98 2e, if that matters.)

that's odd--i just clicked the link to www.bakingmagic.com and it worked perfectly. yes--the recipes are indeed from my books.

The Baking Magic.com link in the post above is a bit wonky for now, click my name to reach the site, if you like.

A question for Rose: Are all the recipes there in your cookbooks already?? (I already have the books, and will spare my printer, if so.)