Shine on Royal Icing!

Jan 04, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

i just consulted with my friend hans welker who is head instructor of the bread baking kitchen at the french culinary institute and he said that a little glucose (which is a thick syrup, thicker than corn syrup) would do the trick as well as gycerine but if you can't find glucose, use a little corn syrup.

Comments

Hi Lupe,
We ask are you making one of Rose's cookies so we can see what decorated cookie you are making?
Are you saying that the cookies should have as shine to them, but you are not achieving it?
If you need a recipe for Royal Icing, Rose has it in Rose's Christmas Cookies and The Cake Bible.
Rose & Woody

Lupe Salgado
Lupe Salgado
01/29/2013 12:20 AM

Hi wonder if you can help me to how to bring that shine on my decorated cookies they seem to come out looking like flat dry I want that shine use the simple recepie for royal icing please help me if you can I would very much apprciate it

I used your royal icing recipe from Rose's Christmas Cookies to decorate sugar cookies for my upcoming wedding. I used a flooding technique on them and it's made for a much too sweet cookie. Is there any way to tone down the sweetness in royal icing? Would lemon juice work?

Thanks!

stephanie, i've never had this happen. perhaps there is something in your environment that caused it. i really can't give you any advice on this.

I had recently made a gingerbread house and used royal icing on it. I made the ginger bread house a week ago and now the icing is starting to turn browny. Why is that? Is it alright to eat it?

Thanks! I'll try it!