heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA

Cookies without Eggs

Feb 7, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

PARITA QUESTION

Feedback: hi rose,
i would like to know that if i can bake cookies without using eggs??? if u have few recipes for cookies without using eggs i would love to try them out.
thanx.

ROSE REPLY

I don't know of the cake that can be made without eggs but many wonderful cookies can be made without them!

Comments

shortbread--it's wonderful. recipe in my book rose's xmas cookies or google shortbread and you'll find many on the internet.

I need help...all i have are a few ingredients to make cookies...and i want something sweet what can i make with flour, sugar, water, vanilla, and few other things..but no eggs?

My daughter is allergic to eggs, milk, wheat and soy. Does anyone have a good cake or cookie recipe. Thanks! MCR

can u make chocolate ship cookies without baking soda? j/w

well im allergic to eggs and i've never had a cake in my life except when i found out i was allergic to eggs and it tasted ok....all these years i've had to eat ice cream cake or nothing at bday parties...i see a couple of different recipes on this site...im going to try them this week...i will post back to see if it worked...thanks.

My niece is very allergic to eggs, chocolate, peanuts, dyes. The recipes I saw on your web site seem to be exactly what she needs. Thank you!!!

If you get a regular boxed cake mix you can add a can of soda (any kind you want) to the mix...with nothing else. Just cake mix and soda. Then bake. It's delicious. I fyou get white cake you can add flavored soda to make a different taste.

good to know amazon sells lyle's! i've never tasted chelsea golden syrup but next time my friend comes to visit from auckland i'll ask her to bring some instead of more merino mink items that i adore! (for those who don't know it's a combination of possum and merino wool)

Golden syrup taste must be very personal, because to me Lyle's doesn't compare to Chelsea golden syrup, which you definitely can't get outside of New Zealand.

I've never been able to find golden syrup in the stores here (I'm in Iowa), but I buy Lyle's off amazon for a reasonable price.

thanks hadley--i've started a collection of eggless recipes for those who require it. and yes--golden syrup (lyle's) is indeed available in the US in fact my picture is on every bottle bc i've sung its praises for so many years. i rarely use anything else by way of syrup. it has a lilting butterscotchy tang which cuts the potential of cloying sweetness. in fact i wouldn't make pecan pie without it!

My family uses this recipe for a chocolate cake with no eggs. However, it does use golden syrup which is hard to find in the US, and you may want to use a little extra baking powder.

thank you so mujch for sharing this giselle---i'm sure it will help many people!

Giselle Borden
Giselle Borden
10/20/2006 11:06 AM

Further to the question posed about baking cakes without eggs, I have used this subsitute in homemade cakes and pancakes and they turned out wonderful.
The substitute is as follows:
For each egg, substitute
1 tsp baking powder,1 tsp vinegar and 1 tsp of water mixed together. It was easy to use and I could not see any difference in taste.

Giselle Borden
Giselle Borden
10/20/2006 11:01 AM

I cannot eat eggs because of an allergy and found this recipe in a 'Prevention' supplement.

Crazy Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar (I used organic sugar)
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cold water

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into an ungreased 8 X 8 inch glass baking dish. Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients. Pour the oil into one, the vinegar into one and the vanilla extract into one. Pour water over all and mix thoroughly with a fork to moisten all of the dry ingredients.
3. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

Per serving: 195 cal, 2 g protein, 37 g carbs, 5 g fat, 0.5 gr sat fat, 1 g fiber, 212 mg sodium

This is not a very sweet cake so I made a brown sugar sauce to go with it and it was lovely.

Depending on what you want to bake, there are many organic ingredients out in the market -- flour, sugar, butter, dairy products, chocolate, fruit. Yor local heath food store will usually order things in for you if you give them the information.
Egg replacers on the other hand never really work 100% in all recipes, it's a matter of experimentation. You can also do an internet search, that's how I found the base for the cake recipe posted above.

carla martinez
carla martinez
10/12/2006 07:29 PM

i am forced due to health issues to bake and cook with organics, preferably no eggs. please help

thanks so much for sharing this reeni. so good to have a solution for those who mustn't eat eggs. i'll certainly try it.

Reeni Espino
Reeni Espino
06/20/2006 01:06 AM

My young son can't eat eggs or dairy due to allergies. (His doctor said he can have a little bit of butter, but I don't want to take chances with what is a "little bit"!) I got this recipe off the internet, and have adapted Rose's way of mixing the cocoa with boiling water to bring out flavor. It's pretty good for something that has very little of what you would think makes a cake moist and yummy! Just don't overbake.
Vegan chocolate cake - Makes about 16 cupcakes, or 2 8" layers.
Oven at 350.
Mix together and let cool:
1/2 cup (1 3/4 oz.) unsweetened cocoa
2 cups (16 oz) boiling water
Whisk:
3 cups (12 oz) all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups (14 oz) brown sugar
Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add to the well:
1/4 cup (2 oz) vegetable oil
2 tbsp. (1 oz) white vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
the cooled cocoa mixture.
Combine well with a whisk until smooth. Pan and bake immediately, 18-22 minutes for cupcakes, about 30 minutes for layers.

For a frosting, I usually make ganache with rice milk -- or just place a few pieces of chocolate on each cupcake while warm, then spread once they melt.

the famous ebinger's blackout cake had eggs. if you know of a good cake without eggs do post it--it would be an invaluable contribution for those who can't eat eggs in any form but would love to have cake!

There is a cake called a Blackout Cake that doesn't have ANY eggs and it's unbelieveably good!!!