heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA

Funny Looking Muffins

Feb 23, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

JOSEPHINE QUESTION

Feedback: Hello, I may not know who is Rose but I am interest in baking! I have this big problem here. Whenever i bake muffins, the muffins would 'pop' up after awhile and would become not good-looking. Can you tell me what is the problem?

ROSE REPLY

I think that you what you're saying is that the muffin Tops Peak and crack rather than being gently rounded and smooth. The problem is the structure of the batter is too strong. Either you need to use a softer flour, such as bleached all-purpose if you're using all-purpose unbleached, or cake flour which a softer still. It also works to increase the baking powder. Another thing that you can try is not mixing as much. the batter should be mixed only until the flour disappears entirely.

Comments

helen deponeo
helen deponeo
05/ 6/2009 02:08 PM

my muffins only rise and dome a little bit and the tend to spread outwards.
any ideas.

How is the muffins been bake?

What are the steps when baking a cake?How is the cake been put in the oven?What are the problems faced when we bake a cake?

Pam, would it help to soak the oat bran in the milk so you don't have to stir too much? I had a bran muffin recipe that called for soaking the bran in the wet ingredients first.

Pam - I don't know how much you should add, but sour cream really makes batters moist and tender. Maybe try adding 1/2 cup and see if it helps (?).

Hi, dear friends

Broadcast yourself for free on Japanese YouTube with amazing and exciting video clips with friends & family across the world.

you find here --- japan youtube, tokyo japan, japan hotels, japan, Japaneses, tokyo, travel, asian,vehicle, tokyo, china, new movies, funny videos. you tube, video, cars, car insurance, student loan, consolidating priv.

More information kindly visit below here ----

Cheers
Admin

Hi--

I have this problem with my oat bran muffins. The cracks are ledge-like! My recipe calls for 1 1/2 c. oat bran, 1/4 c. whole wheat flour, 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, 1 tbl baking powder, 3 bananas, and 1/2 c milk (plus oil, salt, and sugar). I try to mix gently and minimally, but oat bran doesn't absorb liquid very well. Any ideas or suggestions? I eat these to keep my cholesterol down. They taste fine, but the cracked dome bugs me.

Thanks a lot,

Pam

Jeff Roberson
Jeff Roberson
02/16/2007 06:44 PM

Well, I'm not a student, but I've been making and selling dozens of muffins a day for the last 3 years to rave reviews, so here is my two cents.

Dunno about the over beating. I mix mine in 10 quart Hobart mixer with little or no attention. All my ingredients except the leavening agents are organic. I use 60% King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour and 40% King Arthur Bakers Classic (when I was buying store flour, it was 60% Wh Wheat, 20% All Purpose, 20% bread flour, all King Arthur). For a total of 38ozs. of flour. Makes about 24 large muffins in a chicago crown muffin pan. I'll use 2 Tbls. of Baking Powder and 1 teaspon of Baking Soda for this recipe, 15oz of sugar, 10 oz. butter and 32 oz of yogurt. Baked in a convection oven at 365° for 30mins. I typically store my batter in the freezer and put it in the fridge the night before the mornings baking. When I was baking in a regular oven, I always baked at 375° on the bottom shelf. Mine crown beautifully.

Some of my favorites: orange-chocolate chip, espresso-chocolate chip, dried and sugared cranberries w/ almond chunks, mocha-almond and lemon-strawberry.

happy baking!

I'm sorry but that is completely inaccurate. You don't have to use a softer flour and increasing a chemical leavener is only going to make the muffins taste metallic. what your problem seems to be is that you're an over-mixer. that's where all goood muffin batters go awry. Any doughy, or battery product that isn't leavened with yeast is a quickbread an most quickbready you don't want to develop gluten. gluten i the protein found in flour. It is composed of two compounds glutanin for stregnth and gleeadin for elasticity. when you incorporate andy wheat flour with waer gluten begins to develop and the more you mix the more guten is developed, so what's a cook to do? WELL here's what I do when I make muffins. (or any kind of quick-bread.) take two bowls on for dru and one for wet. Fully incorporate the ingredients in each bowl until they are homogenous. Then, make a well in the middle of the dry goods. (If you have any garnish now is the time to add it, but make sure you add it around the edge of the dry bowl and don't get eny in the well!) now take your dry bowl and dump the we into the dry. now comes time for the mixing and what I use is my $.95 bowl scraper that you can find at almost any kitchen appliance store or even wal mart. now you're going to get messy, mix the incredients until the just come together LUMPS ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! keep it lumpy the lumps will good out and I promise you will have muffins that don't have tunnels, no tops or knobs. AND YOU DON"T EVEN HAVE TO CHANGE THE RECIPE!

-submitted by Joel Souza
a 2nd year student at NECI
www.neci.edu

good idea. longer mixing to deveop the gluten, beached all-purpose flour instead of cake. also silicone muffin pans sprayed with baker's joy work better than muffin liners.

Victoria Lubin
Victoria Lubin
01/31/2007 09:27 PM

Hi. I would like tips on how to make my muffins peak. Someone suggested baking them in the top third of the oven. That does help, but not consistantly. Any suggestions? Should I do the opposite of what you suggest for making muffins round and smooth?

you have a good point! if the leaveing disappates by being activated before it goes into the oven, it's not there to make the muffins rise and to weaken the structure.

I think this also happens if you don't bake the muffins right away after mixing the batter. You want them to rise in the oven, not sitting on the countertop.