Lecithin

Feb 11, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

QUESTION FROM EMILY

Feedback: I was wondering about an additive, such as granular lecithin, which you would add to cookies and scones to improve shelf life? Is there such a thing? Thanks, Emily Veale ( I have the Cake and Bread Bibles WONDERFUL!!)

ROSE REPLY

the king arthur catalogue sells granular lecithin that they claim is "shelf-stable" and the liquid lecithin is available in health food stores. it is a soy product that becomes rancid very quicly so i store any lecithin product in the refrigerater. you will have to experiment with amounts and it does indeed improve shelf-life but can also give an off flavor to the baked goods if used in excess.

Comments

Hi Ramesh,
We have not tried it in cookies.
We suggest that you experiment, maybe starting with the same % of the flour as in bread.
Rose & Woody

What % of liquid lecithin to be used in a cookies/biscuit dough on wheat flour basis

USIH MAURYN
USIH MAURYN
01/06/2010 06:13 AM

Hi Rose thx for your inspiring page. Plz can granular lecithin preserve cake for about one month? and what quantity is required? what of Malt Vinegar? or is there any other good alternative preservative that can make cake last for 1month or beyond? Plz help me urgently,. Thanks a bunch!

USIH MAURYN
USIH MAURYN
01/06/2010 04:34 AM

If any of your readers are interested in more general information on Lecithin, then please check out the page "Lecithin the Wonder Food" at my website It's full of lovely lecithin info.

Thanks Rose

Kind Regards

John

I have a recipe for vegetarian meatloaf which calls for a cup of lecithin granules. I was wondering if I could substitute something else, like maybe eggs, for this ingredient?

i've experimented with it in cakes and found that the flavor of the cake isn't quite as good. if you want to give it a try, start with 1/4 teaspoon per cup of flour up to 1/2 teaspoon per cup and compare it side-by-side with the same cake that doesn't have it.
egg yolks contain lecithin as does white chocolate (in minute quantities) so you might want to try the white chocolate velvet cake and the golden luxury in the cake bible. it's not just the lecithin in them but also the cocoa butter that is responsible for their wonderful flavor and texture.
i haven't tried using it for cookies but you could start with the same %.

Dear Rose,

I am so delighted to know this website of yours. It is so amazing that you are actually taking the time to answer questions.

I am very interested in this ingredient, lecithin liquid that actually make cookies and scones have longer shell life. However, may i know how to use this lecithin, how much percentage should i use in comparing to butter or flour for example or other ingredient? Can I use lecithin in making cakes?

Thank you so much Rose. I appreciate your help and attention.

Best regards,