Refiners Syrup

Mar 1, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

FRED QUESTION

Is refiner's syrup the same as cane syrup? In other words, is Steen's syrup the same as Lyle's Golden syrup? Thanks.

ROSE REPLY

Lyle's Golden syrup is a natural byproduct of cane sugar refining. It is cane syrup with no artificial colors flavors or preservatives.

I'm not familiar with Steen's syrup. Lyle's is the only refiners syrup I know of. Look on the label of the Steen's to see what it contains. A side-by-side tasting is the best test. as they say, the proof is in the syrup -- or was that pudding?!

Comments

yes--even for a three tier cake. check out the cake bible.

I am going to be baking a birthday cake for a large party about 10-15 people. I want to make a plain genoise or sponge. Do you have a large recipe for genoise/sponge. Please let me know.

Jenn.

Does this mean you will be in the UK this autumn/ late summer this year, Hector? Cambridge is the other side of the UK from where I live , quite a way away, otherwise I would make the effort to meet you! Have a good time anyway.

jeannette, luca works at the UKIRT and travels to Cambridge every fall every two years or more. i shall tug along although i have been stuck to just be in italy!

Since my original post on this, I found Lyle's Golden Syrup at Whole Foods (both the squeeze bottle and tin) and at an A&P Express (bottle only), but not the regular A&P for some reason.

That wouldn't be a bad thing though , would it Rose? LOL!

thank goodness for this--it would be devasting not to have this product available. it would necessitate a trip to the UK!

I wrote Tate and Lyle. They're still selling their Golden Syrup in the U.S. They provided contact information for their distributor. I'm posting it here in case anyone else is having a hard time finding the product:

Thank you for your email enquiry into the availability of Tate and Lyle products.

Tate and Lyle have an appointed distributor in your country, who is responsible for selling to shops and supermarkets. If you contact them directly they will be able to inform you where the product is available. Please see their contact details below:

Source Atlantique Inc
140 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood
New Jersey
07632
USA
Tel: 201-947 1000
Email: sgoldsmith@foodimportgroup.com

If you are still unable to locate our products, there are numerous websites, which sell our products such as www.buybritish.net orwww.britishcornershop.co.uk. Unfortunately Tate and Lyle are unable to supply products outside the UK.

If you require any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Sue

Tate & Lyle Customer Care Advisor

i'm so sorry to hear this. if you find it, buy up as much as you can store--it never goes bad. they may have stopped importing it.

What happened to Lyle's Golden Syrup? I used to buy it everywhere -- D'Agostinos, Food Emporium, Stop & Shop. Now I can't find it, and a manager at D'Agostino's told me his distributor no longer carries it. What to do?

Thanks.

Ellie, if all of us had just one baking disaster, we'd be lucky. I would send this to the trash and consider it a lesson learned about using substitutions. I certainly wouldn't serve it to company, and especially after a whole extra week--I would be concerned if it would be safe to eat.

Hello Ellie,
Please let me know how this all turns out.
I would suggest scooping it into dessert glasses or maybe even making some type of edible bowl and serving it in that.

After putting it in some type of bowl, you can enhance the flavor with a fruit syrup or chocolate or caramel sauce and maybe some whipped cream. Just my thoughts. Rick b

My daughter was visiting over the Holidays and made a Tiramisu using many expensive ingredients. She had to leave before town before it set. The problem is when I took it out of the refrierator it was extremely runny....in fact the whole thing was liquid .....I called her and she said she figured it was the substitution of ricotta for marciopone cheese that ruined it.Our local supermarket didn't carry the Italian cheese.
I decided to try to salvage it by adding flour to the whole mess and baking it at 325. I was hoping for a choclate sponge cake ....That is what I got but very spongy and despite the rich cream and choclate and coffee sort of tasteless. Can you make some suggestions as to how to use this spongecake in a dessert reciepe? I have company comming next weekend. Is there anything I can do with it besides throw it out? I am upset by the waste of money and food.

Carol - you can also try the up-side-down flower nail trick too. The flower nail acts as a heating rod in the center of the cake, helping it to bake.

Carol,
If you have to go that long over the recommended baking time, then I think that is a definite sign that your oven(s) temperature is inaccurate. Why don't you try raising it 25 degrees?

I have made and continue to make Cordon Rose Banana Cake. Every time I make it, there is a coin size area right in the centre which remains wet and unbaked. The rest if fine. Also the cake requires at least 50 to 55 minutes in the oven.
I have tried in a different oven as well.
Rose.... Any suggestions?
Thanks
P.S. The pan is the correct size.
I weigh ingredients. I butter & flour the sides of the pan.

In the UK we buy this in tins but sometimes it is available in jars. It is an ingredient I am never without, as soon as it is low I replace it. As a child, when I had a much sweeter tooth I used to have it on bread and butter, we called it Syrup Butties! Now I only use it in recipes.

Where are you located Matthew?

new packaging, just released.

Wow, yours looks a lot different than the kind I can get here. Mine comes in a glass jar (looks like a jelly jar). Those look like corn syrup bottles--and are probably much easier to use. It is great to see Rose on the tag!

the lecithin in the white chocolate acts as an emulsifier and the cake will rise slightly higher. the cocoa butter has a sharp melting point which means it's firm until you put it in your mouth and then melts with a burst of flavor.

Rick Beaudin
Rick Beaudin
09/19/2007 06:24 PM

I have a question about the use of White Chocolate in cakes.

Can any one tell me if their is any other reason besides flavor, that would cause you to put White Chocolate in a cake?

It seems to me that white Chocolate has such a subtle flavor you almost do not know it's in the cake. Thanks, Rick b

Barbara,
It should read "tightly covered" and not "lightly covered". Sorry.
Rozanne

Barbara,
Here is what Rose recommends in the Cake Bible "Store: 3 days lightly covered. The icing becomes slightly spongy on standing - rebeat lightly if necessary".
As far as I know Royal icing should not be put in the fridge.
Rozanne

I don't think you need to worry about refrigerating it - it will probably solidify long before you would need to worry about it going bad, but I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try. It might be helpful to place a damp towel on the surface of the icing before you seal it up tightly. Air (especially dry air) is what you want to avoid.

I just made some royal icing and the recipe says it can be left out for up to 6 hours, covered tightly. I have a lot left over, can I refrigerate the rest and use it tomorrow?

do the neoclassic, replacing the corn syrup with lyle's.

Rose, I'd like to try your honey buttercream recipe, but I prefer the taste of Lyle's Golden Syrup to honey. Would I be able to replace honey with the Lyle's?

Hey Rose,

I did a taste test, Lyle's and Steens, and find that they are quite similar. Steens is thinner and darker, Lyle's is thicker and lighter, but their flavors are really very closely related.

I'd thought that Steens was somehow much different in flavor, but a side by side taste test has shown me that they have a LOT more in common than I'd realized.

I substitute Steens for molasses, since I don't see the point of keeping both in the pantry. (I do have some Lyle's, and try to keep a small stock of it since it's kind of hard to find here.)

no--you can use it straight from the freezer.

Diana Terry
Diana Terry
03/ 2/2006 01:44 PM

If you store your yeast in the refrigerator or freezer do you need to remove it and bring it to room temperature before using in a recipe?

Hi Rose-

The Steen's bottle says:

INGREDIENTS: Only pure sugarcane juice, slow-simmered in open kettles until it's just the right clarity and consistency.

It also mentions (in screaming all-caps) its lack of any additives. Heh, who knew that the ingredients list can be used for additional marketing? I suppose I'll have to get a jar of Lyle's to compare. Steen's is based in Louisiana, so it's probably better distributed in the Southern US.