The Bread Bible Goes into New Printing!

Sep 7, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

at last the new printing of the bread bible has arrived with all the corrections! it will list 3 on the page after the title page which means 3rd printing.

thank all of you who have made it possible to have this book that i adore in it's best shape.

Comments

less stirring=more tender and this is THE lightest and most tender pizza dough i've ever experienced!

I have the Bread Bible book and was wondering ... for the Pizza/Focaccia doughs why the olive oil isn't added directly to the dough, but only coated in the bowl. Many other recipes call for adding it into the dough. What is the difference between the two methods?

David,
The touch-of-grace biscuits aren't meant to be shaped in the traditional way. You make them using a scoop. I've made them many times and they are wonderful. The dough should be quite wet.

David Levine
David Levine
09/ 1/2007 07:15 PM

When I made the touch-of-grace biscuits in your Bread Bible the batter was to loose for me to shape. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?
I made a second batch using only 3/4 cup buttermilk in place of the 1 1/4 cup and it worked out much better. How can I use the correct 1 1/4 cup and not end up with a soup. Flavor was excellent in either case.
David

I have tried the pita recipe about 5 times, and find Rose's recipe more flavorful and soft than the spelt recipe in King Arthur's Baking Book. The flavor is delicious, however I'm having trouble with poufiness. When I use the baking stone, the pitas puff half the time, but when I tried it in the cast iron skillet (it was just too hot for me to heat up the oven for an hour), they didn't bubble or puff. Any suggestions? I am a beginner, and having this site to ask questions is delightful.

thanks for the pita report joan. wish you could answer today's questions on the blog about exact consistency--i'll try!

The pita bread was a huge success! I should have tried it out before serving it to my friends, as I was feeling a little stressed, but I was emboldened because your instructions are so thorough! I think I sold a couple of Bread Bibles today!

I used Harvest King flour. My first (test) bread was perfect! It puffed right up like a balloon. Some of the later breads didn’t puff as nicely but they were delicious. I was using them for a Greek sandwich (romaine, chickpeas, feta cheese, tapenade, tomatoes (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/236865) which made me a little crazy. I need to work out a protocol for transferring the breads to the oven but putting the pitas in a towel was great advice and worked so well. I’m going to start up a new batch for the leftovers.

I also served a winter fruit compote which was wonderful http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/10936
We are all ginger lovers.

You and Breadbasketcase http://breadbasketcase.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_archive.html
(see February 5, 2006 entry) were right: I don’t think I’ll be able to go back to store-bought pitas.

joan--it's hard indeed for ppl to imagine how pita bread could be this good but it is a world apart when baking it yourself!

eric! i can't imagine life without my kitchen aid. BUT--since i only make one loaf at a time, i usually use the bread machine and then shape and bake it in a regular oven.

I recently got the Bread Bible and am thinking about buying a stand mixer soon (Your advocacy of machine mixing was very persuasive!). I'll probably go with the Kitchen Aid in the end, but I was curious if you knew anything about the current Sunbeam stand mixer. The power, capacity, and features are similar, and the price is MUCH lower. There must be a catch, correct?

I started the dough for pita bread, using Harvest King flour, and it is in the refrig for a nice slow rise. I won't be baking it for about 50 hours (it's 7:30 PM PST on Monday night and I'm making lunch for my quilting friends on Wednesday.
I'm a little concerned because I went back to the pita bread entry on breadbasketcase's blog and she said that this was one of the breads that made store-bought unacceptable. Maybe I should make a double batch?
We've been having pizza a la Rose on Sunday nights for a month. I made the cranberry-banana-walnut quick bread several times during the holidays and it is fabu. And while I've been baking the No-Knead at least twice a week since reading about it in the NYT in early Nov., my personal favorite from the Bread Bible is the basic soft white sandwich loaf (I have braces and the crusty No-Knead needs soup for me to be happy). I would highly recommend it for any orthodontia patient in your life.

i think it's going to be great and i can't wait to hear from YOU!

What do you think about using Harvest King in the pita bread recipe? I'm trying it for the first time!

boy does that do my heart good--since i paid for that stitched binding i insisted upon! also so pleased you enjoyed one of my all-time fav. breads!

I bought your Bread Bible last week. Aside from being a terrific book, I very much appreciate that the pages actually stay open. Other bread books that I own like to flip pages on their own and actively resist being propped open. I think these books are ready for retirement. Yours is the winner. Today, Levy's Jewish Rye came out splendidly.

so we share a name as well as aesthetic appreciation! you're the only one who mentioned this. i find myself stroking the pages! my oldest friend colby told me they had the appearance of bread dipped in olive oiil!

I used a gift certificate to purchase your wonderful Bread Bible. Aside from the great read and luscious recipes, I love the quality of the paper used! As a
librarian and the daughter of a printer, I found it a tactile delight!
Your personal interaction in these discussions is amazing!

anything that wasn't corrected that was critical is listed on the blog.

yes--you do indeed have the latest printing and sadly only half my corrections were made but they were all the important ones so don't worry!

Rose,

I received the Bread Bible for Christmas, but I wasn't sure that it was the 3rd printing, so I thought I'd try to return it and get the 3rd printing (and in the meantime I've been very gingerly using it to make bread!) I've been searching for the 3rd printing in stores (and even just ordered one directly from WW Norton which I received today), but now I think I may have had the 3rd edition all along.

I wasn't sure what I was looking for when trying to find a "3" on the page after the title page, but then I looked up a reference online on how to identify book printings and it seems like this is the 3rd edition (on the last line of the page following the title page - which is the back of the title page where the copyright appears- it lists 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0).

However, I also looked at your list of corrections on the blog posted in Feb '06 and it seems like some corrections appear in my version and some don't. For instance, in my copy of the book the rye recipe on page 326 lists the bread flour weight at 12.5 oz not 4.5 (as I have seen in other versions in the stores on my quest) and the reference to adding rye flour in step 2 is removed. However, the Cranberry-Banana-Walnut quick bread on page 101 still lists the temperature at 325 degrees instead of 350 and in the Golden Semolina Torpedo on page 366 it doesn't have the correction to whisk together ALL BUT 1/4 cup of the durum flour.

I just want to confirm that I have the latest printing so I can start baking more bread!

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks as always for your help,

Brian

to get a higher loaf you simply eed a smaller pot. the proportions of your dough are perfect except for the salt which is 3.6%. the usual is around 2% so this is extremely high.

Michael Miller
Michael Miller
12/27/2006 09:12 AM

After all of the hullabaloo over no-knead bread, I was compelled to try it.

The results were excellent, but I am an impatient person and was bothered by the long waiting period. So, I went about a different approach, combining a great, but very simple recipe for Ciabatta with the pre-heated container idea of Jim Lahey's. Lo and behold....A loaf pretty close to the no-knead and you can produce it in an afternoon. And, as far as I am concerned, the handling is easy enough, and I don't have to wait a day to have excellent bread.

Obviously, the sesame seeds are optional, but do add a wonderful nutty taste.

The only objection that I had to this bread was, that I would have like a slightly higer loaf. Perhaps you can make a suggestion.

If you have the opportunity to try it, I would love to hear your comments.

Thanks,
Michael Miller
Boca Raton, Florida

P.S. I am originally from Montreal, where I was brought up on fabulous French baked breads.

Title: MICHAEL'S SESAME SEED BREAD***** MICHAEL-DEC '06
Categories: Bread, Dough, Michael, Technique
Yield: 2 Loaves

420 g (14 3/4 oz) Bread flour
335 g (11 3/4 oz) Tepid Water
1 1/4 ts Active dry yeast
2 1/2 ts Sea salt

Place all ingredients in KitchenAid bowl with paddle in place. Mix on low
speed #1, until combined. Allow to rest 15-20 mins. After the rest period,
beat the dough on #4 or #5 for about 15 mins., or until the dough totally
cleans the sides and bottom of the bowl.

Lightly oil a medium bowl.

With the aid of a floured spatula, work the dough off the paddle and out of
the KitchenAid bowl and into the oiled bowl. Cover the bowl of dough with
plastic wrap. Place the bowl of dough in a warm spot.

Allow the dough to rise to triple it's volume, about 2 hours.

45 mins before baking, place two pans 11"x4" in the oven and heat to 450*F
(Note: This bread can also be baked in one larger container, such as a
heat-proof ceramic or Pyrex bowl.)

Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured board. Evenly cut the dough into
two pieces. Handling the dough gently, without deflating it, work the pieces
out to about 10" long. Lightly flour the breads, then cover with a kitchen towel.
Let the dough rest for about 1-1 1/2 hrs., until nice and puffy.

Carefully remove the pans from the oven and with floured hands transfer
each piece of dough to the heated pans. Spray tops of dough lightly with
water and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds. Cover pans with foil and
place back in oven. Bake covered breads for 27 mins., then remove foil
covering and continue to bake for about 16-18 min., or until well-browned.

Remove baked breads from pans and cool on a rack.

the recipe is correct as given and as you can see the salt % is 2.4 which is in the high but acceptable range. that's why i offer this information so you can determine your preference. for this particular bread it is mine. now you know for the other breads when you see above 2% salt that you should lower it to suit your taste.
as for the tackiness, my instructions say for all breads adjust the texture. if you weigh everything including thew water you will not have to adjust but if you are using volume which is far less precise you need to add flour when it is too sticky. this is supposed to be a soft dough or it would be too stretchy to braid.

Barbara Rose
Barbara Rose
12/26/2006 09:11 AM

I made the Traditional Challah bread the other day and found that the dough was extremely tacky, difficult to handle. The bread recipe called for 1 tablespoon of salt and the bread was extremely salty. Much different from Rose's other challah bread recipe which I have for years. I have used the other recipe with great results but wanted to try this one since it had honey in it.
I was very disappointed and wonder if there is an error in this recipe. It came out of the Bread Bible -Traditional Challah.

Please advise.

sounds like you metal pan is not "seasoned". more oil should help but alternatively you could use the non-stick foil!

Hi, Rose! I made your pizza dough for the first time, and the taste and texture were terrific. The only problem I had was that the dough stuck to the metal pan. I tried your recommended method of beginning on the metal pan until the dough is set, then transferring it to the pizza stone, but I'm afraid my pizza just didn't want to let go of the metal pan. As a result, the bottom of the crust was a bit too fragile.

Can you tell me how to fix this problem?

it makes it more crisp but if you like it with less it's fine!

I'm in L-O-V-E!! My husband is jealous because I've given my pizza dough more action than him!

Question: why so much oilive oil? What does 4tsp of olive oil do for the dough? I tripled the recipe and only used 3tsp total. Even then, it was really oily when I took the dough out.

thanks michael! you really sound like you know what you're doing and are master of the dough rather than the other way around!i'm thrilled to hear this.

Michael Miller
Michael Miller
09/12/2006 03:55 PM

After having seen some positive comments on your pizza recipe, I tried it the other day. The crust came out very crisp and it was tasty. I did, however, have a difficult time handling the very oily dough.

Today, I made the pizza dough again, but decided to handle it differently. I added the mixed dough ball to a lightly oiled bowl. I allowed it to rise to more than double in volume (there were some large bubbles on the top of the dough) about 1 1/2 hrs.

I turned the risen dough out onto a well-floured board, turned it to flour the other side, and shaped the dough to about 11". I then placed the shaped dough onto a piece of parchment paper, heavily sprayed it with olive oil, turned it over and sprayed the other side. It then became very easy round out.

I baked the dough on a stone for 4-5 mins. (until I saw a few golden spots on the dough). The dough was then removed from the oven, dressed, then returned to the baking stone, until it started to take on a golden color. I then added the cheese and placed the pizza on the top oven rack; the cheese melted quickly and the crust darkened in spots as it does in a wood-burning oven. I had an excellent pizza.

Thanks,
Michael Miller
Boca Raton, Fl

Okay, I'll pick some up tonight. Thanks!

use rice flour--it really makes a difference. you'll see as you rub in the flour how much the material will be able to hold.

Ah, bread! Here in the Philly area there is a distinct nip in the air most evenings, so I grabbed by Bread Bible last night and started negotiating with my 8-year-old as to what bread/s we might tackle this weekend. (He is most enthusiastic taster.) I just treated myself to 2 lined battenton baskets, and understand that I must rub plenty of flour into the lining before using them. I'm a bit unsure as to how much flour is enough -- can you give any guidance?