For a great tutorial, check out the Baking Bible Bake Along with ROSE'S ALPHA BAKERS. The link is on the left side of the blog. We will also be posting "OUT-BAKES" from the book, on this blog, including step-by step photos and other extras.

The Chocolate Wedding Cake in the Cake Bible

Oct 13, 2006 | From the kitchen of Rose

Karen Question

I am planning on making the chocolate butter wedding cake for a friend's wedding next weekend. Your chocolate base cake formula appears to have more butter (530 grams butter for 12 inch layers or 75.67 grams x rose factor 7) that the 3-tier chcolate butter cake to serve 150 (400 grams butter for 12 inch layers) although the other ingredients are the same. Could you please advise what is the correct amount of butter to use?

Rose Reply
You're right! Originally I made the cake just as it appears on page 486-487 but decided to add more butter to make it more moist. You could instead just add a little syrup.
I changed it in the base but forgot to change it on the larger recipe. If you opt to go with the higher butter it would be 16 oz./454 grams for the two 6 & 9 inch layers and 18.5 ounces/525 grams for the two twelve inch layers.
Do let me know what you decide to do! Either way it will be delicious and chocolatey!

Comments

I have made this cake several times and the cake tastes moist but does not stay together and crumbles too easily. I am in Canada and using all the right ingredients.

Any suggestions as to why it would crumble so?

Thanks!

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Rosa
11/ 4/2012 06:28 PM

Hi Rosa,
We have not specifically worked out every single recipe for each layer size for any particular cake.
We recommend that you look at the Wedding and Special Occasions chapter in The Cake bible, in which Rose gives formulas and calculations for butter cakes for: scaling up or down from a given cake pan size, baking time guidelines, servings, approximate batter weights, and baking powder adjustments. There are also base batter formulas for butter, genoise, and cheesecakes.
We have found that the formulas and calculations will give you a starting point for working out favorable results through testing. For our new book we had some cakes that only took one try and another fifteen tries to formulate the ingredients for the wedding cakes.
Rose & Woody

hello rose and Woody I would like to know , but not sure of the amounts for two 8 each and two 10 each for carrto cakes , can yous help me in the amounts for both..Rosa and thank yous.

hello Woody and thank you so much becuse on the ( Rose's celebrations book) it just says not to put in the refrigerations...thank you...Rosa

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Rosa
09/19/2012 10:09 AM

Hi Rosa,
We are assuming that you are either making extra mousseline or using less of it per layer for frosting the top and sides to give the fondant a smooth surface for shaping. If so, then you could put the fondant and refrigerate it. However, homemade fondant can lose some of its sheen with refrigeration.For commercial fondants, check with the supplier.
We suggest that you apply the fondant on the same day to avoid refrigerating it or the night before. With the fondant, the cake will need several hours to warm to room temperature since it is a butter based cake with buttercream.
Rose & Woody

Hello Rose and Woody
I would like to know if the White Nostalgia and Raspberry cake with white Fondant can be put in the refrigerate for late maybe in two days?

Hello Woody And Rose foefet about those two last one that I wrote , I understand and thank yous so much for your help ,( p.s. I'm on facebook) if yo like to see some of my two tier cakes that I;m have made..thank you again for your help..Rosa Vella

Oppsssss!!
Hi Woody I'm sorry but I forgot to ask you about 13x9" and a 18x1" what are the baking powder levels for the base butter cakes ???

Hi Woody I'm sorry but I forgot to ask you about 13x9" and a 18x1" what are the baking powder levels???

hi Rose Woody ok so thst means for the baking powder (6 teaspoons)right..and that you

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Rosa
09/16/2012 12:50 PM

Hi Rosa,
A 9 x 13 uses 14% less batter than (2) 9 inch layers. For sheet pan cakes to use for extra servings for a wedding or special occasion event, we opt for 18 x 12 sheet pans as an 18 x 12 uses the same amount of batter as (2) 12 inch layers. The leavening is increased slightly to minimize doming.
For a chocolate cake on page 493 in The Cake Bible, we suggest make the 9 x 13 with the same baking powder level as the (2) 9 inch layers since you are using less batter. Depending how it bakes, you can adjust for the next 9 x 13. Enjoy experimenting.
Rose & Woody

hello Rose, I'm having a bit of a probelem ,I have to ask you about the 13x9 pan cakes, I I’m not too sure but when I made the chocolate base cake from the Yellow or White base cakes from the cake bible I multiplied by 1 1/4 x 3.5-4 = 0.375 for the I can’t get this right , please let me you what you think?...Rosa

The shortening Matthew is referring to is Spectrum Organic. I haven't tried it in the chocolate fondant, but it works wonderfully in the regular fondant recipe. I've seen it for sale in a few grocery stores, and in health food stores.

Mollie, it sound like you used the new Crisco. Search the blog, and you will find out which shortening brands work for this fondant.

Rose,

Tried making the chocolate fondant recipe twice and both times came out very crumbly and would not roll out. Mixed water in, shortening, everything I can think of and followed the recipe exactly.

Glory,

Yes, you can use whole eggs, assuming that you still use the proper amount. You might have to use a partial egg to get the correct amount (beat the egg lightly and then measure/weigh). There will be a trade off in either color (versus the white cake) or flavor and texture (compared to the all-yolk yellow cake).

Alternatively, you could choose a buttercream to use up any extra yolks (neoclassic buttercream) or extra whites (mousseline buttercream).

Hope that helps,
Julie

Dear Rose,
Several months ago I bought The Cake Bible (on the recomendation of another baking friend), and I love it! Within the first few days I read it cover to cover! I have tried serveral recipes with much success. My question is in regards to your "All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake" vs. the "White Velvet Butter Cake"... The one uses all egg yolks, the other all whites, I was wondering if it would be possible to use the same onces of whole eggs (it seems that 3 eggs might be the number). It just seems a bit of a waste to use only one or the other. I understand the the cake wont be pure white if I am using whole eggs, versus just the whites, but if I am trying to make just a classic vanilla cake, would this work? I'm not sure if I should mention that what I really want to make with the recipe is cupcakes. I really hope this is not an offensive question, as I know you have put endless thought and care into each recipe, and everything in your recipes is done for a purpose. I would be so honored if you take the time to respond.
Thank you!!

Patti San Roman
Patti San Roman
08/21/2008 06:15 PM

Rose,

I made the chocolate butter cake from the base formula for tiered cakes, and only made one base for a 6 inch round pan (to try it) but came out very dry. What could I have done wrong?? I used all-purpose flour and Hersheys cocoa.

Patti San Roman
Patti San Roman
08/21/2008 06:15 PM

Rose,

Help! I am making a 50th wedding anniversary cake for next weekend. I desire to use my hexagonal pans 14 and 10 inches. I want to use two different recipes: a chocolate zucchini and a carrot cake. I have used the Rose factor in the past, though question how/if it can be applied to other recipes which use oil such as the ones I want to use. Do you think these recipes can be readily doubled? Should I reduce the baking soda?

sarah, since you have written (somehow it didn't get posted on the blog) that it is susan purdy's recipe, she is the person whom you should contact for a larger version of it. her website is www.susanpurdy.com or www.highaltitudebaking.com

i'm afraid this is not my recipe.

Dear Rose,
I can not believe you are on line and I didn't know it.
I have your cook books and read them all the time. So much info!
In my kitchen is a deck oven and a twenty quart mixer. I love and make all the time the Hungarian Plum Cake Recipe in "Have Your Cake". Is it possible for you to give me a formula so I can make a full size sheet?
Regards,
Sarah

i'm not familiar with a cake like that but why not do brownies? everyone loves them!

Penny Smith
Penny Smith
02/22/2007 11:16 AM

I am needing a recipe for a chocolate cake that will be used as the give away cake at my daughters wedding.We have the fancy cake, I would like to make a slab cake, my pan is 42/42cm.Something that is a bit more solid than a normal cake.Half brownie half cake??? I need about 160 pieces. Can you HELP!!
PS: I love your site, very helpful!!

for the groom it's gotta be chocolate! (the chocolate all american or torte would be great.)

there'll be a luscious chocolate grooms cake in the upcoming book! Thanks for your encouragement.

I could not bake without your cake bible. Now I am doing a 3 layer cho grooms cake in Fla. what one do you recomend? I planned on using choc ganache and decorating with berries.

cakes fall due to lack of structure. either use bleached all purpose flour or if you already are, decrease the baking soda.

Gloria Bernal
Gloria Bernal
11/20/2006 07:17 PM

Rosie, why would a carrot cake fall in the center? My recipe asks for 2 tsp baking soda only, no baking powder. It is a good recipe but that is the only drawback, the center is always a well.

thanks lori. i've forwarded your request to nigel@coastalgoods.com the cake kits will be on his site very soon as well but i'm sure you'll hear from him. if any problems please contact me again.

Lori Rosales
Lori Rosales
11/10/2006 12:20 PM

Hi. I went to coastalgoods.com to buy your cake kits after seeing it in food& wine mag, but do not see them available on thie web site. Where are they available for sale?

Thanks,
Lori

If you can find "Food for Fifty" 10th edition, there is a very good carrot cake formula. You'll have to scale it down because as is the formula makes 7 seven 9 inch cakes.

I use this formula in the cafe for which I bake and it is quite popular. The book also has an excellent cream cheese formula as well.

Marcia, in the mean time, go get Alton Brown's baking book (I think it's called Heat + Flour =Baking, or something similiar). There's a carrot cake recipe in that book that is killer. You may be able to find the recipe at foodtv.com. I think he might have done a "Good Eats" episode on carrot cake, but I can't remember.

i have exactly that in my upcoming book "rose's heavenly cakes" due to be published fall of 2008!

marcia pike
marcia pike
10/22/2006 01:44 PM

I have had a hard time finding a moist carrot cake recipe with walnuts and cream cheese frosting. I have in mind what I am looking for but have not found the recipe that will stay moist and hold up for several days. Can you help? Thank you.