heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA | Canada | France | Germany | Japan | UK

Corrections: Rose's Christmas Cookies

Jul 8, 2007 | From the kitchen of Rose

These changes have been made in the current printing

p 3 don't use a food processor to pulverize the sour balls as it may damage the container and blades
p 17 Electric Mixer Method: ...On low speed, gradually add the flour, salt, and the grated almonds...
p 45 Equipment:...fine shredding disc
p 55 under Wedge-Shaped Shortbread, cross out Decrease the butter to 1 cup (8 ounces/227 grams) and under Smart Cookie cross out the reference to cookies require slightly more butter...
p 89 Smart Cookie: just before When rolling the balls of dough insert:
If you flour your hands before rolling the balls of dough, the cookies will be rounder, as show in the picture. If you don't flour hour hands the cookies will have more almonds adhere to them but will be flatter.
p 94 under Food Processor Method...Remove half the nuts (about 2/3 cup)..
p 100 under Caramel Topping...to avoid spattering. Lumps will form but they will dissolve with further cooking.
p109 in the chart, 1 large egg white 1 ounce/30 grams
p117 David's Dreambars, in the chart, sweetened condensed milk 1 can/1-1/4 cups/14 ounces/200 grams (note 1 can used to be 15 ounces/430 grams)
p 141 in the chart, 1 egg/1.75 ounces/50 grams
p 163 increase the butter to 10 tablespoons/5 ounces/142 grams
Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes
p 166 in the chart, increase the butter to 10 tablespoons/5 ounces/142 grams, the powdered sugar to 1/3 cup/1.25 ounces/38 grams, and the granulated sugar to 1/3 cup/2.25 ounces/66 grams
under For Both Methods:...cross out ...At first the dough will be dry and crumbly, but the heat of your hands quickly makes it blissfully soft and supple....Bake for 45 minutes.
p 167 in the chart: zest from 1 large orange,
p194 Steeple...Cut the 4 quatrefoil
p 197 quatrefoil (not quartrefoil)

Comments

Hi there,

I have now made Rose's Swiss-Italian meringues twice and I've found that the meringue (without wanting to overcook it) has been very soft - almost raw inside!

Please someone help!

Thanks in advance,
Tonia

Thank you so much for your response. I'm going to try again today am hoping for better results. And I have my white spatula at the ready!

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Kate
12/ 3/2011 02:18 PM

kate, you are absolutely correct that the darker the caramel the less sweet and more bitter. it is therefore a matter of personal choice. my preference is from 360˚F to 370˚F. the risk of bringing it to 370˚F is that it may continue to climb by the time you remove it from the pot

as for having a properly calibrated thermometer, that is something very hard to determine as you may have calibrated it by the usual recommended technique of setting the temperature at boiling to 212˚F but at 300˚F it may no longer be accurate. this is why i recommend some of the expensive instant reads that i have found to be reliable at varying temperature points.

but if you are happy with your thermometer, just bring the caramel to the temperature you determine has the best color using a white silicone spatula and then in future you can use the reading on YOUR thermometer to determine what you desire.

I have a properly calibrated instant read thermometer. I also found multiple sources that said anything over 350 will taste bitter and burned. As my caramel did.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Kate
12/ 3/2011 01:45 AM

Hi Kate,
it is unfortunate that you have wasted expensive ingredients. Bringing the caramel's ingredients to the deep ambet (370˚F) is a many times proven stage for carmelizing to produce the results for the recipe, in a few in Rose's Heavenly Cakes, and other authors' recipes. It is critical to have an accurate instant-read thermometer.
When baking another author's recipes or adapting one of our own, we will frequently make a smaller quantity or version to save on ingredients.

I just made chocolate caramel chews and the caramel is very burned and bitter. I brought it up to 370 and added the cream and butter as directed. I calibrated my candy thermometer recently so I am pretty sure it was accurate. And then I brought the mixture back up to 240.

I'm thinking that first temperature is way too high and shouldn't be over 238ish.

I'm so sad to have wasted such expensive ingredients.

sherrie, i don't remember their sticking to foil or i would have said to grease but the nonstick foil is a great product and would be a good safeguard.

I just finished baking Mom's Coconut Kisses and unless I did something wrong, they stuck mercilessly to the foil. Not sure if the foil should be greased, shiny side up, or just removed as an option.

Haha! How do you crush the sour balls then?? I think it would do more damage to a blender than a food processor.

Ronald, pastry flour is lower in protein than bread flour. They cannot be interchanged in a recipe as it would alter the end product. A cake made with bread flour will not have as fine a texture. You are better off sticking to what the recipe calls for. Pastry flour and bread flour are available at any grocery store.
If you own the Cake Bible, Rose gives in-depth explanations of the different kinds of flour and their protein content. If you don't have the book it is worth investing in. Everything you need to know about baking is covered in the book. It truly is an encyclopedia.
Rozanne

ronald johnson
ronald johnson
07/11/2007 11:29 AM

What is pastry and bread flours? How are they different? Can they be used in the same baking goods? Where will I find pastry and bread flour? Please, let me know?

ron johnson