Rose's Perfect Pie Plate

Jul 31, 2007 | From the kitchen of Rose

fellow blogger hector mentioned in a recent posting that he had ordered my perfect pie plate and it arrived without the decal. on further investigation i learned that the decal model is not being produced at the present time. but i am delighted to see that the current model is even more stunning and elegant without it.

it still functions as i had planned, with deeply fluted edges making it easy to create a fluted border simply by pressing the dough into the fluting. it also makes the standard size pie but the bottom crust needs to be rolled a little larger than usual as i like to have more crispy crust to eat.

and the recipe book containing the pie crust and other recipes still comes with the plate.

should you want to order one, by the way, click here:

Rose's Perfect Pie Plate

Comments

frances, i believe it's a flaw in the glaze that is allowing the butter from the pie crust to leak through. i don't think it's a problem but do contact the manufacturer as i'm sure they'll send you a new one. unfortunately it's no longer being produced with the recipe printed inside. contact anne at harold imports: agalvanek@haroldskitchen.com

Frances Alford
Frances Alford
02/19/2011 10:16 AM

I have a Rose's Perfect Pie plate. Upon it's first use, it developed marks all over the inside of the plate. The marks are slightly darker than the surface. Is this harmful or is it ok to continue to use the plate?

yes it is indeed mine. king arthur has a policy of not putting other people's names on the products they sell.

Is the "Perfect Pie Plate" on King Arthur the same as yours? It looks similar, but I don't see your name with it.

You're welcome! So glad your mother will get her pie plate.

Tracy Bermeo
Tracy Bermeo
05/ 8/2009 11:26 AM

Julie-
The woman I spoke with in Different Drummer's Kitchen thanks you too! You are a birthday gift saver!

Tracy Bermeo
Tracy Bermeo
05/ 8/2009 11:20 AM

Thank you Julie! I am ordering it now.
Tracy

Tracy, the last time I was in Different Drummer's Kitchen in Lenox, MA, they had a stack of them. They don't list the plate on their website, but the store phone is 413-637-0606. Good Luck!

I found the pie plate on amazon.com. There were only two left. You might give it a try.
J

Dear Rose,
Many thanks. Please let me know what you find out. I showed my mother this post and she was touched that I am trying to find a replacement perfect pie plate for her. I look forward to hearing back from you.

i only just now got notice of your posting. thank you for telling me it was written about in cook's country. i'd love to know what they said!

i will try to find out why neither of the sources seems to have it and will so a posting on the blog as soon as possible.

please also feel free to post this question again should you not hear back as i'll be away til may 18.

Tracy Bermeo
Tracy Bermeo
03/ 9/2009 08:36 PM

Dear Rose,
I came across your pie plate in the April/May issue of Cook's Country magazine. I went to the websites listed there and here to purchase it, but cannot find the plate on either site. Normally, I would say it's not a big deal and move on, but here's my story.
In 1978 my grandmother had two pie plates made. One for her and one for my mother. My grandmother passed away in 1993 and I have inherited her pie plate. My mother says it makes the best pies ever. I told her that she should hold on to it. She says it belongs to me as per my grandmother, so now I have the pie plate.
My mother's plate broke several years ago and since then she has tried to contact the company that made it but they are no longer in business. Today is my mother's birthday and I would love to replace that pie plate that broke with one of yours. Can you help me purchase one? The web sites listed don't seem to have it. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Best,
Tracy Bermeo

Bill, you are great!

More on the sticky subject. I made Rose's Traditional Rolled Christmas cookies and never stuck. But when making Rose's Spritz, these stuck; surprised since these contain more butter. Unsure if due to the quality of the pans. The first using Chicago Metallic commercial uncoated pans. The second using generic uncoated pans. Both pans are pretty new. Not using silpats as I adore burned bottoms!

"Changing" topics, here are my New Year's wishes for everyone on this thread. Hope you enjoy.

Hector:
I served the pie right from the fridge...I guess the butter may have adhered a little...but this pie was STUCK...in spots...much more than the butter would stick it. I'm thinkin' that there was some caramelization as Rose suggested. I have loose bottom tart pan, but building it up with foil seems like unnecessary work...I try to avoid unnecessary work at all costs. My other half dropped a corning wear bowl filled with russian tea cakes on a ceramic tile floor...prime example of unecessary work!

Bill, I enjoyed your sticky story!

Haven't read the sticky replies carefully, but let me add my 2 cents. Was your pie cold or room temp or warm when serving? I think cold-cold is the most sticky.

Also, unsure of the stickiness of pyrex (glass) vs perfect pie plate (glazed ceramic).

My favorite 'pie' plate is a tart pan with removable bottom, easy to un-stick even when sticky! Unless I build a pie rim with foil around the tart pan, it is a rather shallow pie!

Rose, can you make a second version of your perfect pie plate, this time with removable bottom! That will be a first.

sorry...fairly awake...and that isn't nearly as funny as cake bile. I acquired rather fast typing skills in my teen years at a summer job. Unfortunately they didn't care too much about accuracy...so I do make a lot of mistakes.

did you say FAIRY awake?! never mind--i e-mailed a friend and wrote cake bile instead of cake bible! don't expect much from me right now--i have a cold which clouds my judgement and everyone seems to wake up after new years so a million requests and deadline!

Rose...that does make perfect sense...it actually felt, in spots, like it was camarelized against the plate. I should have just let well enough alone...and not tried to mess with it. I think the problem actually stemmed from the fact that I made this pie at 4 PM in the afternoon, and fully dressed, rather than at 2 AM and in my underwear. Perhaps being fairy awake and fully clothed clouded my baking judgement.
Thanks again!

Well now, that makes perfect sense.

butter has milk solids and with all that extra baking they may well have carmelized and caused the sticking.

I guess the sticking could have been caused by the extra butter - although that seems counter-characteristic.

Maybe you pressed the crust back into the pie plate too much???

all i can say is that it doesn't stick when yuou do it the way the recipe was written!

So...why did it stick?

Oh good... for a minute ther I thought you had tied to use a "crumb topping" recipe in place of a bottom crust recipe (but I thought surely you would know better than that!!!).

Graham cracker crust

which crust recipe did you use Bill?

OK..I know this isn't in the right place...but I can't find my way back to the Pie Questions section...I hate computers...I hate machines...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Anyway...Rose, A question:
I have been making all sorts of pastry doughs for years, but never actually made a crumb crust (it just somehow felt like cheating)...but I decided to embark on a new recipe which called for a crumb crust. So I cracked open my pie and pastry bible...and off I went. When I took the crust out of the oven, for some foolish reason, I expected it to be, I don't know, set. Of course, there is nothing to hold the crumbs together when the butter is hot, no egg, no flour, nothin'. I said:"this can't be right!" (I now realize that the crust will hold together when the butter cools...but I had a momentary brain freeze, and didn't know what to do). So...I recrumbled the crust, added a little more butter and pressed it back into the pan, and rebaked it. I let it cool, filled it with the filling and refrigerated it over night. the next day when I whent to serve the pie, it stuck to the pan (pyrex) in some, but not all spots. Was this because of the extra butter, or did i do something else wrong.
Thanks for all your help!

thanks for explaining this important point hector.
for the pumpkin pie i prefer the pyrex pan as i love the checkboard sort of edge--it just seems to go with this pie!

wanted to report that I've cheated and used another ceramic pie plate for my pumpkin pie. indeed a beautiful pie plate, glazed brown like a pumpkin, and with a lid shaped like a pumpkin top.

however, the perfect flaky cream cheese pie crust did not come out flaky, it was pasty. I think this problem is because the bottom of the pie plate is not perfectly smooth therefore not on direct contact with the heat source like Rose's pie plate or like a pyrex glass pie plate or a metal pie plate. This would be important if you bake pies that need to sit directly on the hot tile or oven floor.

this pie plate has some 'legs' on the bottom, similar to a ceramic dinner plate. The bottom was also glazed, Rose's is not.

I guess I can use my new pumpkin pie plate just as decoration or serving piece, but for baking pies, be sure your pie plate has a perfect smooth bottom!

Agreed - definitely let the can cool completely before opening... caution - this stuff is addictive.

Teresa, regular store bought sweetened condensed milk, boil for 30 to 120 minutes in a stockpot with constant bubbling water (does not need to be a rolling boil). The longer the boiling the thicker the caramel will be. Let cool completelly before opening the can (very important)

Hi Teresa - google "caramelized sweetened condensed milk" and you'll get directions for several variations.

Hi Hector and Patricia,

I live in California and would like to make your carmelized-while-still-in-the-can sweetened condensed milk. Can I use the ordinary condensed milk that can be bought in the supermarkets? Please tell me also how you cook it.
Thanks,

Teresa

stored for 5 day in a 34 degree refrigerator. Yes, they last longer in the vacuum canister.

Very interesting - how long were your strawberries stored this way?

Have you found they last longer stored in a vacuumed container?

just wanted to report my first findings of storing fresh strawberries in a canister vacum, refrigerated. I 'sense' that the sweatness of the strawberries increases. Has anyone experience this? Normally, when I eat a strawberry straight from the refrigerator, it tastes nothing. But when I eat one that has been in a canister vacuum, it is sweet! Perhaps, strawberries 'age' in a air-less environment?

Hi Hector - I can't see the bottom photo. The white chocolate cream cheese buttercream is amazing!

Previously, I've posted this picture of Rose's wonderful creme brulee set. They match her pie plate, gift box packaging and all.

Not sure where to post this; pie, tart, or cake: http://www.hectorwong.com/roselevy/RosesSweetheart.html

Top photo, "cupcakes," Golden Wheat Carrot Ring on Rose's Sweetheart Creme Brulee Set ramekins.

Bottom photo, "heart," Cream Cheese Flaky Pie Crust, thin layer of grape conserve (not visible), molten White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream filling, 'junk' strawberries, Grand Marnier Creme Anglaise pool.

Bake your life away!

P.S. I am loving the white chocolate cream cheese buttercream, the white chocolate adds an extraordinary flavor enhancement to a what otherwise 'generic' cheese cake filling.

P.S.2. creme anglaise with grand marnier is another of those perfect marriages with liquor, the balance is incredible where the grand marnier 'dissapears' into a wonderful bouquet, the orange scent 'remove's the eggy taste on the custard sauce. I like to compare this perfection with the marriage of chocolate genoise and frangelico.

Patrincia, when I was living in Peru, boiled condensed milk was our primary ingredient for home made pastries that called for manjar blanco. It goes well between layers of biscuit de savoie and whipped cream and fresh fruit toppings. Undeniable!

Hi Hector - you should give the do-it-yourself carmelized-while-still-in-the-can sweetened condensed milk a try. It's a pretty unique ingredient that I don't know would be easily duplicated. Btw, it's used quite a bit in mexican desserts.

Hi Cindy - I watched the video - I loved how they described making the cookie crumbs as "bashing the biscuits". Does anyone know what kind of American cookies would be an equivalent to the ones used in the video?

Cindy, THANK YOU. I am watching it now. Delicious. I could see myself making this with Rose's flaky pie crust, and of course instead of that condensed milk toffee we could cook our own.

Hector, I have sent a second time but it seemed that you still cannot get anything. If you want to see this Banoffee pie, go to http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-banoffee-pie

Hector , I shall sent again.

Cindy, didn't get anything on my email with videojug.

Charlene, regarding vinegar, you can smell and taste it while making the dough, but after baking it does not impart any taste.

Here are the factors for tough pie crust (research more than practice):

1- Over processing or over kneading the dough will toughen the crust. To keep it airy, the butter should not be completely incorporated with the flour, never melter, kept as flakes. Never work on the dough after it gets too warm, re-chill each time you feel the butter melting (you can tell when it starts to stick or leave your fingers shiny).
2- Use Wondra flour, or perhaps your AP flour has too much protein content.
3- The vinegar is a great trick to soften the flour, thus a less tough crust. Vinegar does its job best when you chill your dough overnight prior to rolling.
4- I actually over baked my crust, almost burned dark brown, but it was still flaky and light. Never tough.

Charlene Koppel
Charlene Koppel
08/ 7/2007 12:08 PM

Rose:

I recently discovered your pie and cake books and have read both. They are great!

I am having a bit of trouble and hope you can figure it out. Here goes.

I am making the basic flaky pie pastry prebaking baking the crust before using in various pies. I find the crust is too tough. I am using the following measurements:6.5 oz. bleached all-purpose flour, 4 oz unsalted cold butter, 1/8 teaspoon baking powder(the kind you recommended),1 tablespoon sugar,and enough water to hold dough together (about 5 or 6 tablespoons). I tried the vinegar idea but did not like the taste it produced. As per your book, I am chilling the dough at least 1 hour before rolling out the dough, and chilling it again before baking. I am currently trying your idea of cream instead of the water. The first try was ok but I needed to bake the crust a little more as it was still a little undercooked. It was a much softer crust.In have also tried the Sweet Cookie Tart Crust with GREAT SUCCESS. I would still like to make the Basic Flaky Crust and would like to try and figure what is not working.

I would very much like your input and maybe I could figure out what is not working. I am working on a new (temp tested) Wolf Convection Gas Over.

Here is the link of a pie topic I've started to bake! and BTW I've just thought of calling Matthew the Pie Iron Chef.

It is stuck on my mind that "Rose's pie crust is good enough to have alone," quote from The Pie and Pastry Bible. My friends were so impressed with my first pie crust attempt that I am going to place pie crust on all cakes next. Plus I love Rose's pie plate.

Just got a call from a dear friend to make a 'carrot' cake. Carrot cake is so common, so I was a little turned off, but only until I've read TCB. I will make Rose's carrot ring, perhaps w/o the whole wheat flour. This will be baked on a chiffon pan because I want a domed top with a hole. I will set this on 'the pie crust' with some of Rose's white-chocolate cream cheese frosting, and on top of the domed 'chiffon' I will pipe daisy petals with the same frosting. Gamed? ... a design inspired from the Mexican Killer Chiffon Cake and from the now-very-popular frosted cupcakes. In summary, just imagine this is a big carrot cake cupcake, frosted, but instead of cupcake paper you have an edible shell...

The same friend needs me to make a chocolate cake for September, I will do the triple chocolate cake (my favorite), skipping the chocolate praline sheets (or placing less since I love making these sheets) but set on a chocolate dipped 'pie crust.' Gamed? or out?

Bake your life away.

Hector, Ihave email you a video at videojug.com of how to make this.

Would love to see a picture =)

Yes, I think this is it. That was a very colonial british restaurant. Thank you .

I did a google search for "Banoffee pie" and got many hits.

Could this pie be Banoffi Pie, I wonder? Here in the UK it is very popular on dessert menus, it is a sort of toffee consistency with bananas int the flavour and to decorate it, hence the title! It has a pastry case to contain it. Hope this helps.

Cindy, never heard of it. People tend to name pies any way they wish!

I came across a pie in the desert menu of a restaurant and want to know what it is but I annot remember the name exactly. It is called "Boniffy Pie" .The spelling is definitely incorrect so I could not do a search . Does this name hit you ?
Any body have some suggestion either on the name or the content.Thank you.

Yes, David, that is correct.

David Reich
David Reich
08/ 1/2007 08:56 AM

Re: Basic Soft White Sandwich Loaf page 244 - Am I correct in assuming that the 1/4 cup dry milk listed in the flour mixture & dough is just the powder and not reconstituted product. That is, that ALL liquid in the recipe is in the starter?

that is the photo taken by the distributor who tells me that laprima will be carrying all of my line so hopefully they'll have the strips soon!

That is how mine's look, and it is nice! What is the gray strip on the side of the photo? Is this your white balance swatch?