heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA | Canada | France | Germany | Japan | UK

Cookie Recipes

Nov 10, 2007 | From the kitchen of Rose

My dear friend and high school classmate June Lebell (those of you in the NY area might know her beautiful voice as former long-time hostess on WQXR) forwarded me this amazing collection of cookies I thought you'd all enjoy. (By the way, June is now living in Sarasota and busy as ever doing restaurant, music and theater reviews, speaking engagements, etc.)

1-2-3 Cookies
Chocolate Chip Meltaways
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
Chocolate Christmas Trees
Chocolate Cream Cheese Squares
Chocolate Crinkles
Chocolate Mint Snow-Top Cookies
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies (no bake)
Chocolate Snowball Cookies
Haystack Cookies
Ho-Ho Bars
Holiday Cereal Snaps
Holiday Chocolate Butter Cookies
Holiday Raisin Walnut Bars
Holly Cookies
Hungarian Cookies (Little Nut Rolls)
Ice Box Cookies
Irresistible Peanut Butter Cookies
Italian Cookies
Jacob's Peppermint Snowballs
Jam Bars
Jessica's Famous Brownies
Jessie's Chocolate Chip Cookies
Jubilee Jumbles
Juliet's Peanut Butter Blossoms
Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Kentucky Colonels
Kiefle (cream cheese cookies with jam filling)
Kifflings
Walnut Butter Cookies
Walnut Crumb Bars
White Chip Chocolate Cookies
Wild Oatmeal Cookies
Will's Famous Apple Jack Cookies
Yummy Yummy Peanut Butter Blossoms

Comments

Hello Rose, I was wondering if you have tested or made French Macaroons?
I found a couple of recipes but I want to go for the ones I know always work for me, your recipes :)
Thanks in advance.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Carrie
03/24/2011 05:57 PM

short bread is traditionally docked which means little decorative holes are pierced all over the dough. this is both for design but even more so to prevent puffing.

I make lovely shortbread cookies (flour, confectioners sugar, vanilla, butter, and a touch of salt). My question for you is that sometimes they puff up in the center. I cut them out and bake them chilled (sometimes even putting the cutouts on the pan and the pan in the freezer briefly before baking)...so what's causing the puffing? I usually use unbleached flour, and I do sift all dry ingredients. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from krissy
01/21/2011 04:26 PM

thanks krissy! it's really great to know that it worked that way rather than the reverse! it validates my belief in the spirit of generosity.

I just got your BOOK the Cake Bible with a gift card I receiced. I usually get recipes for desserts from the web, but I found one online recipe from your book that I liked and I figured why not get the book. Nicely writen and great recipes.

I clicked on several of these recipes and they all led to a site called northpole.com and the I was able to locate the recipes I wanted by clicking on the plate of cookies icon

Unfortunately, as of today (2/1/2010), all these links lead to a page that says "You have requested a recipe that is no longer available."

I have made these cookies every year for the last 15 years and they always turn out beautifully. I suspect that your cookies might be underbaked. It may also be that you didn't weigh your ingredients?
The cookies tend to be quite fragile when you first take them out of the oven but firm up after a few minutes. Leave them on the baking sheet to let them firm up before removing them to the cooling rack.
Good Luck. They are one of the cookies that I get the most compliments for so are well worth the effort.
Sparky.

Question: I made your almond crescent cookies for Christmas. They were delicious and appeared to be cooked the right amount of time, but were very fragile and soft. I stored them in an airtight container, but they turned crumbly, stale and soggy within just a few days. I used good ingredients, kept the dough cold before baking, etc. Any guesses on what went wrong? Thanks!

Wow Ben - tons of cookie recipes on your site. Are all the recipes tested by you? Oh, and welcome to this site!

Jeannette, if you click on Ben's name, (next to the date)you will be directed to his site.
Welcome to Rose's blog Ben!

Ben, can you put your website/blog address on here so we can access it? I would love to drop by, and welcome to Rose's site, ti is very friendly here and informative.

hi im Ben.. im a head chef and own my own bakery. Ive currently started my own site and it has quite a few cookie recipes that i enjoy making and family, friends and customers love it! my site isnt too flashy but please do drop by and check it out. Happy baking :)

Ben

Btw nice blog i bookedmarked it

thanks for remembering. don't worry this is IT! it's going into copy editing at which point adding recipes is ackward bc of the coding etc. i'll try to restrain myself.

It's the perfect name. You couldn't have found a better one. Wasn't it your nephew who inspired you to give it that name?
Chocolate walnut bundt cake......can't wait for the new book. I can't believe you are adding another recipe to the book at this stage. Please don't be tempted to add more recipes or the book will be delayed further.

THANKS! I'm learning so much from you!

bleached is best. unbleached is higher protein so cookies will be flatter as the flour absorbs more water and less turns to steam to make them puffy.

Does it matter if bleached or unbleached flour is used in baking cookies? Sometimes mine are perfect and other times they spread out too much. I haven't paid particular attention to which flour I use since I just now started keeping some of both because of what I've learned about bread baking. Thanks for anyone's help.

so it's not inappropriate to name the new book "rose's HEAVENLY cakes"!
here we are almost in copy editing and suddenly got inspired to create a new chocolate walnut bundt type cake. i've tested it twice, woody my recipe tester has too and now he's on his third test with just a little more leavening and i'll be doing it once more with a new type of pan i'm trying out and then a final time just for the pleasure of sharing it for an epiphany party! it will be in the book!

Rose, I'm glad those people in the publishing world were proved wrong. Thank you for sharing the story of your great aunt. Every time you write one of these little stories I feel like I know you personally. I'm sure the others on the blog feel the same way.
Everyone enjoyed the cookies. My cousin's fiance took one bite of the brownies and said "oh my god I just tasted heaven". So, thank you, thank you, thank you for all those fantastic recipes. I have been baking all day long during the past few days and it has been rewarding to hear comments like that. I made cookies for all my daughters teachers too. Today is my day of rest.

rozanne, thank you for the profound compliment. there were ppl in the publishing world who questioned the appropriateness of a levy/beranbaum writing a xmas book but then one of the first reviews came out from a journalist in rhode island who said that the intro contained some of the most moving prose ever to be written in the english language about xmas. it was very validating.
so i must tell you the story of my great aunt polly. she was an extraordinary person whose work for the american association to the UN won her the eleanor roosevelt award of the year for foreign aid. though daughter of a rabbi one of her gifts to me which i still treasure was a little book called a christmas story. it was about a little girl in holland whose father was away at the war (WWII). her mother lit a candle in the window in the hope that he would return in time to see their son born. it spoke of peace,love, and faith, and my grandmother, aunt polly's sister, never dared raise her voice in objection.
i've always believed that religion should bring ppl together rather than to alienate them--that the true spirit of religion is to give us a vision of the infinite and the miracle of life.
christmas should be celebrated all year round and that goes for the cookies too!!!

Rose, I got your Christmas cookie book about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't put it down, it is such a great book and so well put together. I am not suprised b/c all your books are like that. I loved the introduction. You did a phenomenal job writing it. I think it is possible for someone to read those pages in the middle of June and get into the Christmas spirit. I am catholic and I don't think I could have done justice to capturing the Christmas spirit so well.

Jeannette, I promised to let you know when I baked cookies from Rose's cookie book. I made the shortbread, lemon bars and brownies and they were out of this world. Just as I expected. One of the things I like about Rose's recipes is that they are not overly sweet. I can't wait to try the other cookie recipes. Did you have a chance to try any of the recipes?

I'm not sure I am in the right place, but I have a question for Rose. I always make your pecan tassies and I never have quite enough dough. I have individual petite pans. I would like to know what I need to do in order to make an additional half of the dough recipe correctly?

try e-bay--it's an antique. my favorite also!

I'm probably posting all wrong so I apologize in advance. Rose I'm trying to track down a cookie cutter you used in your book the candy cane with bow. Please tell me you know where it can be purchased. Also, does HammerSong have a website?
Thank you.

What kind of cookies are you making? Are they butter or shortening based?

Leona: I'm not a professional but I may be able to solve your problem. I think that if the cookies are puffing up and then falling flat I would guess that they are under baked. If they never rise at all then your baking soda/baking powder is not any good...throw it out and buy new. Hope this helps.

Leona  L Schueller
Leona L Schueller
11/21/2007 05:24 PM

my cookies go flat...is that cuzz my flour??
I use all fresh indegrediants..

Thanks for responding ,Roxanne, I feel so lucky, I received my book today! I am reading it through at the moment , it is so attractive as a book, a good read as well as lovely recipes. I don't know what to make first, they all look so good. It is not a Christmas custom here in the UK to make cookies but I'm sure they will be welcomed by anyone lucky enough to receive them! Looking forward to seeing what you think of your book.

Jeannette, I have still not received my book. I'll let you know when I try the cookies.

they are hand made and intricately designed. they are truly collector's items.

After ordering my cookie book I searched the site and found more info. on Rose's cookies and also read about Hammersong cutters, these are new to me. On going to the website recommended by Melinda I found the said cutters and I am curious to know why they are so expensive, what is special about them? Is it just that they are collectors items or is there another reason?

Have you received your book yet, Rozanne? I have just ordered it from Amazon UK and I can't wait for it to arrive! Let me know what you make please, I am unfamiliar with American cookies so would be glad of guidance with what works well.

I receive this list via e-mail as well, but wasn't sure how good the recipes were. Patricia did you try any of these? Still waiting for Rose's Christmas cookie book, I ordered it, can't wait for it to arrive.

I'll take one of each, please.

Oh yes, I've already recieved this list twice this season via email.

Zach Townsend
Zach Townsend
11/10/2007 04:11 PM

Wow - where do you start! :)