Update on the Spanish Cake Bible

Jan 9, 2008 | From the kitchen of Rose

I've just learned that the Spanish edition of my book will be published Oct/Nov of this year (2008). Of course it will be available all over Spain but if you want to be able to purchase it in the US please post your comments on this blog and I will forward them to the publisher. This will motivate them to find a US distributor!

Comments

liz, i'm so sorry to have to report that not only is the book 2 years past the contractual pub date, the publisher has not responded to my many requests for an update. maybe it's the economy but i must say it's very surprising and disappointing.

thank you for asking.

Liz Morales
Liz Morales
12/22/2009 06:58 PM

Wondering if there's any update on the publication of the Cake Bible in Spain.

The chef's program is local to Catalonia only, and I live in Andalusia. I was in Barcelona last October, but only on the weekend. I'm going back in the middle of January during the week and am hoping to catch his program.

I can't wait to get some recipes using Spanish pastry flour, as I've had nothing but bad luck with it! Fortunately, I have access to McDougall's Supreme Sponge (it's an hour drive to the only store that sells it in Spain, to the best of my knowledge, and they have become accustomed to me popping in and carrying away 15 bags at a time), so I haven't actually had to stop baking, thank goodness!

I am really looking forward to buying the book...fingers crossed that the translation is good...just read an English household hints book translated into Spanish that called for "tartar sauce" to polish silver with (I think they meant cream of tartar, an exceptionally hard-to-find product here).

Best regards,

Liz

here's the response re the chef: "He's actually a Catalan chef rather than a pastry chef. His name is Ismael Prados (http://www.tv3.cat/pprogrames/lacuinadelisma/cdiSeccio.jsp) and he has a Jaime Olliver-like television show in Catalonia.

do check out his show if you haven't seen it yet--he's really adorable!

just heard from the publisher that it will be published this october (same time as the new cake book in the US!)

i'll try to find out the name of the chef (husband of the publisher).

i will also contact the US publisher of the cake bible to encourage them to do a spanish edition for the US though in the economic climate many publishers are being very conservative.

Liz Morales
Liz Morales
05/15/2009 02:04 PM

My name's Liz. I've been living in Spain for the last 11 years, and I was really excited to read about the Spanish version of the Cake Bible. I'm wondering if it's been released yet...I can't find it anywhere.

I'm hoping to get some good recipes that can be made with the kinds of flour available here.

BTW, would it be possible to know the name of the pastry chef you're collaborating with?

Yara Bertran
Yara Bertran
04/12/2009 01:32 AM

I am teaching "continuing education programs" through the Palomar College in San Diego. All my students are desperate to have a Cake Bible Spanish edition but for the USA. Please let me know when can we have that one. As you know ingredients and altitudes are different from the ones in Europe.
Thanks
Yara Bertran

Sylvita, hoooooola! se me paso, no lei tu post. Entiendo perfectamente tu situacion, es como que me regrese al Peru con el Cake Bible. Igual me paso cuando deje el Peru para el USA, mis recetas peruanas nunca salieron igual! El Cake Bible en Espanol es una traduccion para Espana, y bien dices que sera mas facil usar el libro original en Ingles! Lo unico igual entre Latino America y Espana es el lenguage! los baking ingredients son MUY diferentes.

Mi interes en obtener el Cake Bible "de Espana" es solo para expandir mis conocimientos porque dude encuentre los ingredientes de Espana en USA!

Gracias por maravillarme con mis maravillas... un abrazo /H

PS le voy a decir a Rose que haga un Cake Bible version USA para USA pero en lenguaje Espanol, muy util para todos los hispanos en USA que son muchisimos!

AWESOME!!!! Please let me know when the U.S. release is and I will stand in line like the Harry Potter and Twilight series releases! : )

thank you all for responding. i will post just as soon as i hear from the publisher--hopefully with good news.

There are a lot of persons who would be interested in the Spanish version. I have a group of Latin American friends, who are really looking forward to this publication. Please let us know when it will be available in the USA.
AJ

I have read the English version and have found it excellent. It will be great to acquire the Spanish version in the USA. I hope it will be distributed in the USA.

Héctor, hola, soy yo, Silvia (de Costa Rica), de nuevo.
La idea del Cake Bible en español me interesa, pero ¿cuál español van a usar?? Porque como sabés, cada país de Latinoamérica tiene palabras diferentes, y si se trata de España, casi resulta más fácil leer en inglés.
Por otra parte, aquí hay pocos ingredientes (por ej., un sólo tipo de harina, cacao en polvo, etc), y en muchos casos, no salen las especificaciones (% de proteína, masa de chocolate, etc). ¿Cómo van a hacer para uniformar nombres, técnicas y sobre todo, ingredinetes??
En todo caso, voy a estar pendiente del libro, pues me interesa mucho.
Abrazos, Silvia

PS: no he vuelot a hornear, pero sí sigo visitando este sitio y viendo las maravillas que hacés

Héctor, hola, soy yo, Silvia (de Costa Rica), de nuevo.
En todo caso, voy a estar pendiente del libro, pues me interesa mucho.
Abrazos, Silvia

The cake bible in spanish sounds wonderful! I can wait to have for the book to sale here in the USA!

The cake bible in spanish sounds wonderful! I can wait to have for the book to sale her in the USA!

Please, please find a distributer here in the states. My mother is a wonderful cook but only reads in spanish, this way she can enhace her skills with the cake bible!

Belmari Bauer
Belmari Bauer
02/17/2008 10:55 AM

Please have it available in the United States. It is a Bible!!!!!!!!Thanks, Belmari Bauer

no one's approached me but if you know any german publishers.....

Are there any plans to pusblish your books in German?

Vanesa Ramírez
Vanesa Ramírez
01/29/2008 04:45 PM

Me encantería mucho que el libro sea traducido al español ya que soy puertorriqueña tengo el libro y muchas cosas quisiera poderlas entender mejor en español.Se que sería de mucha utilidad para muchos hispanos como yo que aman la repostería.Agradezco de poder leer mi comentario.

Gregory Lyons
Gregory Lyons
01/27/2008 12:49 PM

It looks as if you have struck a very responsive chord with this, Rose.

While I pretend to dominate English ;), I know this will be a boon to the baking industry as well as our increasingly diverse population.

I recently used your Baked Hawaii recipe to create an active live & flaming volcano (kirsch flambeed sour cherries in the crater and down the sides!), a memorable birthday cake for a dear friend.

Thanks, and all the best!

I am in the US, and I would love to get this book in Spanish for co-workers who speak very little English but want to learn about baking.

Nice blog friend, you have very interesting contents that really catch me attention. I also got blog similar to this category, would you mind if i ask you for a link exchange? Regards...

The Cake Bible in Spanish...Totally Awesome! I just did a search online to buy it for my Dominican, spanish-only speaking friend. She wants to learn how to bake cakes. Too bad I can't buy it for her right now! :(

I am curious to read it and compare it to my English copy. (which I LOVE) My ethnicity is Cuban and Miami Cubans call cake "cey". Cuban bakeries use the word "cake" too. When I asked my parents who both came to the U.S. young, 18 and 20 years old, they couldnt remember the spanish word for cake. They used the word "cake" when they were still in Cuba. They mentioned "panetela". But panetela is pound cake with no frosting.

My Dominican friend calls cakes, "biscocho". I've also heard "torta" as the spanish word for cake. I think each country has its own word for it. And I wonder if there will be other words that differ from country to country. Perhaps this could be addressed in the book so that all Spanish-speaking countries can use your book with ease.

The publisher would sell many, many books if it was sold in the U.S.! Maybe it can be sold through amazon.com.

I'm looking forward to buying the spanish version for myself and many of my spanish speaking friends and family...just in time for the 2008 Holidays!

En Verdad es tremenda idea, POR FAVOR este libro es bien Famoso lo nesecitamos nosotros los hispanos.

Si viene acá romperia record de Venta.
Es que somos muchos los hispanos.
Gracias.

Truly it is tremendous idea, please this book is very Famous we need it us the Hispanic.

If he/she comes here it would break record of Sale.
It is that we are many the Hispanic.
Thank you.

I am so excited I can't wait to have the spanish version of your book. Thank you so much for remembering the spanish speaking community.

thank you all for your generous and enthusiastic support. i just realized the book will be coming out exactly 20 years since first publication in english! they have one of the top chefs in spain doing it--to a search on the blog for my first posting of this--put in spanish and you'll find it. i wrote about the chef whom i've never actually met but he looks absolutely adorable in his photos--full of personality and charm. he has his own t.v. show out of barcelona. and the publisher is his wife. isn't that just terrific! can't ask for more.

mat salvans
mat salvans
01/12/2008 12:04 PM

I'm so happy to know this new notice of the future published of your book. I wish to try make your cakes and breads.
It's genial!! Kisses from catalonia.

Yay!! Be sure to have the correct translations and above all... substitutions!! Here in Spain we do not have stuff like double baking powder, buttermilk (at least commercial), chips of other flavours than chocolate, etc ;)

Most of the time I prefer to buy the books in English instead being the main language because most of the time the translation is not that faithful ^_^

But... I am leaving a little space for the spanish cookbook as soon it arrives Spain!!!!

As a non-native spanish speaker working in a Spanish Speaking neighborhood...I think that a spanish language cake bible would be very successful...many of my patients here in ny in the spanish speaking community do their own baking at home. I think that a spanish language cake bible would do very well here .

Yo voy a responder a todos los blogs en Espan~ol!!! Preparense... Spanish Cake Bible sera mi diccionario bilingue del Ingles-Espan~ol oficial para reposteria.

E presto in italiano anche!

Rose: http://babelfish.altavista.com (or go to www.altavista.com and click on babel fish tranlation

Rose: I will be more than happy to tuck along with you at Spanish book signing.

Apoyo que el libro sea distribuido en los Estados Unidos, para beneficio a todos los hispanos que no dominan el ingles. Soy de Puerto Rico, USA.

I support that the book is distributed in the United States, for benefit to all the Hispanic that don't dominate English. I am from Puerto Rico, USA.

Yo tambien apoyo la idea de tener el libro en español, por fin, para los que no dominamos el ingles,un buen idea.

great idea Barbara -- any volunteers? oh Hector.......

Rose, this looks like some great "advance buzz" for the book!

I had a thought -- once the Spanish version of the Cake Bible comes out, you're likely to get lots more questions on the blog and the forum in Spanish. Like you, I have only a few words of Spanish and I sure wish I had more!

You might end up needing someone to translate for you, so you can figure out what questions on the blog and forums you want to respond to and how to answer them. Have anyone in mind? Perhaps your publishers could help...or someone in the culinary world. You'd want someone familar with Spanish AND with baking!

Would you consider posting a "Spanish-English Baking Terms" guide on this site? Does anyone know of a site that has one already?

Since the Spanish-speaking world covers such a huge range of climates and cultures, I expect we'll soon find out that terms and ingredients vary...after all, look at the differences in British, Canadian, American and Australian terms and ingredients.

It should be fun! I look forward to learning a lot!

I would love to have it distributed in the U.S.A. There's a lot cake decorators in Florida, where's there's a huge concentration of hispanics. I'm sure this will be beneficial for them and for myself. I would definitely buy this book in Spanish.
Thank you.

ANDREA GOMEZ
ANDREA GOMEZ
01/ 9/2008 09:17 PM

HOLA,A POYO LA IDEA DEL LIBRO QUE SEA TRADUCIDO EN ESPANOL.GRACIAS

i want the book in spanish in usa areas to. because to much hispanic people want to buy in spanish

I want the book in spanish. Puerto Rico

i want the book in spanish and sell in Puerto Rico

Evelyn Perez
Evelyn Perez
01/ 9/2008 03:41 PM

I have it in english but my main language is spanish so i would appreciate having it spanish.

Evelyn Perez
Evelyn Perez
01/ 9/2008 03:41 PM

thank you both and i'm sure i will be able to count on my deer blogger friends to let me know how true to the original it will be! i know they have a terrific chef working on it. i only which i spoke more than 10 words of spanish! i can't wait to see what the photos will be like.

Rose Villanueva
Rose Villanueva
01/ 9/2008 01:50 PM

Hi My name is Rose Villanueva,

I am new to this site and must say I am overly joyed to have found it!

Any how, to comment about the spanish version, I must agree with Hector. I too feel the need to know the interpretation of many culinary terms to the spanish language. Plus, I would love to send a copy to my Aunt Estela in Mexico, she is after all, the first who inspired me and introduced me to the world of baking (I still miss her adobe made oven and, which was a novelty for me as a nine year old visiting Mexico from the states, evrything tasted better, especially the cheesecakes!)

I hope the publisher finds it in their hearts to distribute it here in the states too, as Hector mentioned, their are many many people that speak the spanish language and being so close to the Mexican border, you may even find a market for your book there and further south too!

Best regards,
Rose Villanueva

I've read that it is official, according to the last U.S. Census, that most people speak Spanish in the U.S. than English plus all other languages combined!

I need to get the Spanish Cake Bible because part of my culinary training comes from Peru, with Spanish. I need to know how different cakes, techniques, and ingredients are said in Spanish! This way I can communicate with my family and my Spanish clients, and also collaborate back and forth with U.S. and Peruvian chefs.

Please forward this to the publisher, and Rose: you will be surprised how many people will line up if you do a book signing for Spanish Cake Bible in the U.S.!

Is French Cake Bible next? So much cake 'stuff' has French roots!