For a great tutorial, check out the Baking Bible Bake Along with ROSE'S ALPHA BAKERS. The link is on the left side of the blog. We will also be posting "OUT-BAKES" from the book, on this blog, including step-by step photos and other extras.

You Are Invited

Jan 1, 2008 | From the kitchen of Rose

I will be giving a lecture on flour and an angel food cake demo for the New York University Experimental Cuisine Collective on Thursday, January 17, 4 to 6 p.m. at NYU Washington Square Campus.

You are welcome to come but as space is limited, please RSVP Anne E. McBride and she will e-mail you the address.

aemcbride@gmail.com

Also do let me know as it will be great fun to meet those of you who are in the area and might be able to come!

P.S. There's no admission charge.

Comments

Hi Rose or Woody,
I have 2 burning questions:
Question #1.- In the master chart for butter cake (The Cake Bible), there is nothing written for square pans. I see that you give the calculation to figure out the volume of the pan, does that mean I should follow the same recipe also? For example, if I want to make a 10" square cake, do I follow the master chart on page 490 and use the corresponding size (10" round)?
Question #2.- I baked a 12" cake(2 layers) and one of the layers shrunk. What could be the cause? I was very distraught when I saw that.

this is a very basic question! do you preheat the oven/bake the cake using both the top and the bottom heating in the oven. (i use the bottom heating only at 180' and most cakes burn in the bottom).pls help!

I'm using a Betty Crocker white cake mix. I want to make it a chocolate cake. Does anyone know how much cocoa to add? and do I add anything else. Sounds stupid, but don't want to ruin the cake by experimenting on my own. thanks!

could be the weather. keep them out of drafts.

Rose:
My angel food cakes are shrinking away from the pan...more and more. The last one didn't fall out...it stuck to the bottom of the pan (top-after inverting it)...but it is really shrinking...a lot...never had that problem before...with your recipe or any other. any suggestions?

Karyn, go to this link, there is Rose's latest angel food cake w/o chocolate.

this is my first time blogging. I have a question. I made the chocolate angel food cake from the Cake Bible (my favorite cookbook on cakes) Can I make the recipe into a plain angel food cake if I leave out the chocolate?

oops, that was me!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Hector. i enjoyed every second of it.

Jeannette, glad you enjoyed the video, it is full of information!

I watched it 2 times in a row, the same evening. Then a few days later, when I clicked on it, I was realizing I was watching it for the third time again!

I can't wait for Rose's new book, which will include a DVD of videos!

Thank you so much, Hector, for putting on this video , it is so interesting and I'm thrilled to see Rose in action, so to speak, much better than still pictures! Also I am pleased to hear her mention of Kate and her experiments with flours as I am also trying out her ideas with some success (and some failures, I must admit!) I want to watch it again because I missed seeing Bill first time around, heard his voice though! Thanks again, JeannetteXX

they haven't yet invited you!?!
HOW DARE...

not until after the book comes out! and that's if i'm invited! start picketing now!!!

GREAT!!! thank you so much, Hector.

Bill and all others who attended the session- I'm jealous...

Rose- aren't you coming to the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival? it's starting soon:(

Dearest bloggers, the first recorded materials of Rose's lecture, more coming soon.

Bill, insanity is put for good use!

Patrincia, recipe is not ready to be published yet, but here is what is no-boiling:

1- no-boil fresh pasta sheets, roll with KA attachment thickness #7 or #8 (thin), use Naked Chef's book for the pasta recipe (plus salt in the pasta).

2- Giada's Everyday Italian bolognese sauce, simmer until meat fat has separated and floats on the surface.

3- no cook-bechamella, using Giada's Everyday Italian bechamella recipe for ingredients and quantity only. Ommit the flour. Replace the milk with heavy cream and whip until stiff whipping cream with the salt and spices. Use math, and as necessary add/fold additional milk solids, butter fats, water to maintain same % as in whole milk.

Assemble lasagna with above in layers (no boil), sprinkle true Parmesan cheese on top of each layer of no-cook bechamella.

Bake covered, w/o boiling temp for 30-45 min. Uncover and broil until nice top crust.

This lasagna is thin, showcasing the quality of home made fresh pasta sheets. One time it was nick named 'pasta soufle.' It is my trademark and the only lasagna I dare to make. You can pay for good lasagna everywhere, so why imitate at home?

pics

Hector:
I don't know what keeps me motivated...the blog helps...but I think it is just plain insanity.

Hector - tell me about your no-cook bechamella.

Bill, doesn't the blog keep us motivated? Go Mr. Marathon, I know what that means!

I've been working on my no-boil lasagna recipe (including the pasta, the no-cook bechamella, and the bolognese). Also baby back ribs, cilantro spare ribs, and soy sauce!

Glad you attended, seems like it was a Angel Food Cake marathon, and can't wait to share the video.

Hi Rose:
Thanks again...it was wonderful! You are such a natural teacher and so loaded with info! You are charming and approachable and I'm sooooo glad I came. Oh...and Mom's Boyfriend's Birthday cake was a big hit (Cheese cake, frosted with creamcheese buttercream (piped in a basket weave pattern) with some roses that I piped from some mousseline that I had in the freezer. I know...I know...I need to get a digital camera!
Thanks again! You are the best! I'm now chomping at the bit to make the angel food cake! with Wondra...My old angel food recipe said that you needed to sift the sugar and cake flour together three times...what a pleasure to watch you just whisk it for a few seconds. Angel food is my mom's favorit (with whipped cream and berries). Looking forward to another Rose Recipe!
(by the way...made another cheese cake last night...finished at 2 AM...dinner guests on Thursday and no time to bake between now and then...nothing keeps like a cheese cake! I think it tastes even better a few days later.

thanks for reporting bill bc i had a busy few days afterwards--woody (he came from MN to help make all the cakes and film the presentation)stayed til yesterday and i spent all of today putting things back in order after the big production of angel food cakes etc.!

there were more than 50 people but not sure how many more as it turned into standing room! we made enough samples for 60 so my guestimate is no more than 70.

oops...not white chocolate mousseline (I have it on my mind because I made it for the first time last week and FLIPPED)...I'm icing the cheesecake with the creamcheese buttercream...of course

After the lecture I had dinner at the home of a very dear friend who only lives a few minutes from NYU. From there...to my kitchen (greatly inspired by Rose's Lecture) to start on Mom's Boyfriend's Birthday cake (Can you call your mother's significant other her Boyfriend when he is 72 years old?...seems silly). Anyway...he is a cheese cake fan. He says that it is like heroin (not in its taste but in its addictive quality). I baked it last night (finishing at about 2AM). Tonight I whip up the white chocolate mousseline buttercream...and make it look like a birthday cake! Then its the chocolate fudge cake with chocolate mousseline (my sister's kids won't eat cheesecake...and I always perfer chocolate to anything else).

Rose:
Thanks again for your hospitality in extending the bloggers an invite to the lecture. It was just wonderful!

Rozanne:

Not sure exactly how many people were there...Rose, I'm sure, could answer that. I would say 50? (I could be way off)...not sure. It was just great, and she entertained lots of questions.

Patti, Rose's new book will be out in the Fall of 2009.

Wow, Bill that's incredible. Thanks for sharing your story. How many people were at the lecture? I am so happy for you.

Bill, THANK YOU for sharing, really, really. Every review I read about Rose points her charm and down to earthiness. I've seen her a few times -thru video- she is a mountain of sugar!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Blog:
I was one of the very, very, very fortunate people who got to attend Rose's lecture on flour and Angel food demonstration yesterday. It was just wonderful. Rose was able to present a lot of very technical information in a wonderfully clear and accessible maner making it very interesting for both the home baker and the food professional. She is incredibly charming and approachable and it was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. I was a huge fan before, now...well...there are no words!
And a note of interest: prior to the lecture starting...I was seated in the audience, glancing through the hand out (which contains rose's angel food recipe...can't wait to make it) and waiting patiently. Rose came in, took one look at me and asked : "are you Bill?)...so explain that!

So, How'd it go???????

When you do expect your new book will be available. Can't wait...

Rose:

See you tomorrow!

bill, i'm so glad you decided early enough as they now have to turn ppl away!

hector--you'll be getting the whole thing!

I will be there in soul! Hope you don't get bombarded with questions and make the lecture hours long, and I am certain you have more than answers!

Looking forward for the transcripts and video...

I am excited! I'm so glad I took a 1/2 day off of work to do something that I am really looking forward to. All work and no play makes Bill a dull boy.

Rose:
I've always talked to myself...as long as you don't hear voices answering it can't be a bad thing. My grandmother used to say "people who talk to themselves have money in the bank"
I haven't got a clue what that means...but she said stuff like that all the time!

thanks but i spend most of my time home alone (talking to myself!)

Good luck for tomorrow Rose. Although I don't think you need it, you must be an expert at giving lectures by now.

Bill have fun tomorrow. You must be so excited....

with pleasure!

Rose Villanueva
Rose Villanueva
01/ 9/2008 04:15 PM

I am looking forward to the possible video of your demo as many have suggested. I am also looking forward to seeing you when you come to San Francisco. I live in the Central Valley of California and not too far away from the big city. Let us know when you visit!!!

Rose villanueva

bill that's fantastic. i'll try not to ruin my mystique for you!
kate you and your flour work will be well represented.
hector, after your comments i'm inviting a body guard! even though i have very thick hair i'm not planning to give up any of it--was the idea to clone....? don't worry--there will be pictures of some sort--still or moving or both--have faith.

Super Congrats to you Bill!!!

Bill, that's fabulous. You know we all envy you. Too bad you can't take pics but do give us every tiny detail. Have fun!

Hector:
I don't have a digital camera! (I'm a big technophobe...sorry)...besides, I'm not the picturetaking type...but I will keep everyone posted!

Bill, you made my day. Be there or be squared! Please try to take pictures, notes, video, whatevers. Or pinch out a piece of Rose's hair, will be a keeper!

You can email me directly the pictures, or send me a disk, and I can post it.

I will be present in spirit, I am sure you will be representing us well!

Rose:
I have made an executive decision, I have cancelled my afternoon for the day of your lecture, and I will be there, with bells on. (well, bells are noisy, so probably no bells). Can't wait!

To all of my baking buddies on the bl1og:
I wish you could all be there with me!

thanks very much matthew. yes the dept. that is in charge of this lecture/demo will be contacting them.

You have probably already contacted them, but just in case you haven't:

there will be something for sure!

There's absolutely no chance at all of my being able to attend, :-( much to my sadness. But ... we WILL meet one day ... and how about a transcript/notes if not a video???

hector you are the best! i think you just found a way to 'come' to the lecture without getting on a plane etc.!

if so, NYU can edit the tapes too! But perhaps their video editing department is not into baking as much as I am! I can make your chiffon look the best (no offense ;)

/H

hector i forgot about your great technological skills. nyu may be able to have one of their departments video tape it. i'll let you all know.

Mehernosh, the white chocolate cream cheese buttercream IS my favorite cream cheese frosting! You can pipe roses with it, too.

Enjoy. http://www.hectorwong.com/roselevy/CarrotRing.htm

Wish I live in SFCO or NY!

Can somebody tape the lecture and mail me the tape and I will send Rose a DVD. I could also post it on youTube or such, provided copyright permitted.

I can read any format of tapes, but miniDV is preferred.

Better yet, if the lecture is taped by more than one person, with multiple tapes I can edit, showing Rose's and her chiffon best angles!

that's delightful! and i always opt for the s.f. area as my brother owns pet food express and i have lots of family and dear friends and colleagues. we try to do an event for every book.

the new book won't be called a "bible" but it will be bible-like!

Carolyn Bergman
Carolyn Bergman
01/ 3/2008 12:12 PM

Miss Rose-

I was very happy to read there's a new cake book coming out next year. I hope you will come to San Francisco or Sacramento on a tour so I can finally meet you. Your book, "Pie and Pastry Bible" got me through part of the California Culinary Academy with flying colors and a couple of A's!

And a DVD!! Waaaaay cool!!! I still have my copy of the Cake Bible, Pie and Pastry and Bread Bible. Will 4 be the charm??

Carolyn

Cindi Kruth
Cindi Kruth
01/ 3/2008 12:07 PM

I just signed up for this newsletter and this is the first I've gotten. Good timing for me since school is still on break and it's right in my backyard- well, almost. I'm coming in from CT. I've been working on some cake recipes and refer to the Cake Bible often. So much good information there. I am always interested in learning more and watching the techniques of a pro. Looking forward to it.
Cindi

that's hot enough to melt chocolate! but then you have the advantage of some of the best food in the entire world at your fingertips! thanks for sharing your success and your wonderful location!

Mehernosh Khajotia (Celebrations Fine Confections)
Mehernosh Khajotia (Celebrations Fine Confections)
01/ 3/2008 12:01 PM

Hi to day I tried out your white chocolate cream cheese buttercream, I can’t tell you how terrified I was when it split it was like having a mini heart attack. But a quick scan of the pointers for success put it all back together. ( I live and work in India Bombay the temperature in the kitchen was 36 C ) I just love your book. Thanks a million.

Rose, I'll keep my fingers crossed about the mixer. How I wish I could make it to the lecture. I will not give up hope though.

Oh, what I would give to go...

SURPRISE ME!

and rozanne, the mixer isn't moving so who knows!

by monday the book will be going into copy editing! that's about all i've been doing night and day.

Bill, I agree with Rose, for heaven's sake and ours please, please, please go. At least one of us on the blog will have had the pleasure of meeting Rose. I know it is easier said than done, BUT try your best to go. I missed the opportunity to have Rose's mixer and now I am a missing an opportunity to meet the baking diva herself. You are so lucky, so don't miss this chance. I want to move to NY.

Why in the world is all this logistics?

Last night, I've loss a full night of sleep trying to logistic myself on attending Rose's lecture. It is a 10 hour flight plus the airport time, land travel and a 5 hour time difference!

you won't be sorry!

OK...when I get to the clinic tomorrow I will check out the schedule for the 17th. If it isn't too busy...perhaps I'll reschedule the end of the day (I'm a terrible person, I belong at work, I belong at work, I belong at work. No computer access tomorrow...will kee you posted.

he isn't in the department...he's the director of registration...PhD is in history

what does he do in the dept of food and nutrition?

I would love to send him... but he won't go...just not his thing. I'll ask but I know what he's going to say..."I have to work...I can't go to that in the middle of the day" another time and another place.

well for heaven sakes send HIM! then he can report back to you. but do tell him to introduce himself.

and right about your mystique too! My other half, who has no interest in Baking at all (except for eating of course) works at NYU...in that division! Alas...I will not be there

you're right--i mean about the complexity of logistics.

well...actually, on thursdays I work in a clinic in one of the rougher sections of Brooklyn. I am booked 8 patients an hour...and it would take me about an hour to get to NYU and an hour back...It just wouldn't work. But I wish I could. Not seeing you in person just sort of adds to your baking mystique...sort of keeps you legendary.

surely you can't fit more than a few into two hours plus 30 min. travel time!

I wish I could come...how great to "see you in action". I have about 10 Million patient's scheduled on Thursdays. It would be a disaster if I tried to reschedule them! Ah well...

i'll suggest this to nyu and see if they can do this--great idea!

Could it be videotaped? And put on YouTube? Or even this blog?