Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

Our bakeware and cookbooks sale is still in progress. Contact: Woody at woody321@ptd.com for him to email you the information.

Great Wedding Cake Class

Mar 16, 2008 | From the kitchen of Rose

Jan Kish is hands down the most talented cake decorator ever to have graduated from Cordon Rose, my former cooking school. Since that time, which is over 20 years ago, she opened Jan Kish - La petite Fleur, and has been producing breathtaking cakes which she ships all over the world. She has also appeared many times in Brides magazine, and on the Good Morning America Show and the Food Network.

For the first time, Jan will be sharing her exceptional skills in two 1-day 6 hour seminars Homespun Wedding Cakes -- at La Cuisine in Alexandria Virginia www.lacuisineus.com on Saturday, April 19, and in Columbus, Ohio www.jankish.com on Sunday, May 4. In this class, Jan will delve into the “anatomy of the wedding cake” Her objective is to transform you from novice to semi-professional in six hours (and perhaps a wee bit more). She will take you from imagination, to design, to creation, while demonstrating how the techniques you learn can then be applied to other celebration cakes.

This is an opportunity not to be missed.

Note: There will also be a second-class on Sunday, April 20 at La Cuisine on “How to Cater Your Own Wedding.”

Comments

Hi Rocio,
There are several websites that list classes and schools for cake decorations.
For this blog site, we suggest that you post this on the Forums section, which will give your request more visibility for our baking community to give suggestions for possible classes and locations.
Rose & Woody

Rocio Estrella
Rocio Estrella
09/20/2015 11:53 PM

Hello, I would like to know if I there is a place in Louisiana where I can take some classes about wedding cake decoration workshop, I an actually live in Baton Rouge, but I did not find a place yet for this training.

thanks in advance.

katie, do contact jan kish at the above link.

katie jesenovec
katie jesenovec
06/ 2/2011 08:51 PM

I would love to know if you will have a class in Ohio again?

donika, the above classes are given by jan kish, not me. i studied gumpaste at the wilton school in chicago many years ago and if they are still teaching it they are an excellent option should jan not be holding any classes in the near future. her site is listed here under my favorites.

Donika Desilva
Donika Desilva
08/ 7/2010 06:28 PM

Good day Rose
I am interested in taking some fondant an gumpaste classes.I currently reside in Bermuda but would love the oppotunity to travel overseas and participate in some of your classes. Please notify me if you will be holding any classes in the near future and inform currently were you reside and hold your current classes. Do you offer one on one classes.
I am very excited about the possibility of improving my decorating skills. Whats the prerequsite for yor classes if any.

arden schumann
arden schumann
04/29/2010 01:41 PM

Oh I just found this. I am so dying to find a good cake class in North Carolina. I took Wilton but I have been doing my own thing for about 2 years and want to wedding cakes on my own company. Help

cakesbytoschia
cakesbytoschia
06/ 7/2009 11:41 PM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HOLD ANOTHER CLASS IN THE VA AREA

Thank you Matthew! I just now looked through TCB and realized I completely skipped over those recipes containing oil!

Hi Tyler, Rose has some oil cakes in the Cake Bible already, and she does not use that method for any of those cakes. I haven't tried what you are suggesting, but I don't think the texture would be as good--probably for the same reason why you use softened not melted butter in the butter cakes.

This is waaaay off topic of this posting, but...:

I know Rose is currently away, but there are so many talented bakers on here that may be able to help me: I'm making a carrot cake, but instead of "creaming" the oil with the sugar and all that, I want to make it the way Rose does. Since the oil is the only liquid in the cake, should I mix 1/4 of it with the vanilla, then proceed with whipping the rest of the oil with the dry ingredients and adding the oil/vanilla mix in 3 batches? I hope this makes sense!

Tyler

sebnem karaman
sebnem karaman
05/ 5/2009 08:41 AM

Hi I may be interested about cake decorating classes by august 09.Is tere any classes, pls inform me.regards,
Sebnem

I would love to know if there will be any classes in the Boston area too!

Will she be offering the class in the DC area in 2009?

Amanda - I'm totally guessing here, but it looks like gumpaste ruffles to me.

Is that chocolate curls or some sort of flower petal? This cake is so classy and cool..it is the inspiration for my cake!

Do you ever offer this type of class in the Boston area?

Bummer... I just received word that the class was cancelled - apparently not enough people signed up. I'm so disappointed.

Dan O'Brien
Dan O'Brien
03/19/2008 02:51 PM

CRAP! I've been looking for an intermediate class in the Washington, DC area... but the day of the class is the day of my cousin's wedding -- and I'm making the cake! I hope she offers this class again... I'll definitely sign up!

Wow!! That second cake is absolutely breathtaking!

Happy-Happy.... I just signed up for the class!

Stunning! Too pretty to eat but too yummy looking not to!

Wow, those are gorgeous!