For a great tutorial, check out the Baking Bible Bake Along with ROSE'S ALPHA BAKERS. The link is on the left side of the blog. We will also be posting "OUT-BAKES" from the book, on this blog, including step-by step photos and other extras.

Golden Honey Oat Bread Revisited

Jul 29, 2008 | From the kitchen of Rose

Sunday, on my return from Hope, NJ, I ran right to the local supermarket to check if the new packaging for Gold Medal Better for Bread had arrived and there it was--the beautiful bright yellow package with my picture on the lower right hand bottom. And I lost no time in making a bread on Monday. This is the bread recipe previously posted--just put the words oat bread in the search box.

I was never happy with the photo of the finished loaf with the barley bran so here is a photo of my new version and a cut slice. I used the variation of part oat flakes and part cracked flax and added my old starter. i think i'll cut back on the salt by 1/ 8 teaspoon next time. Though it's the same 2.2% salt i usually use I think the oat flakes and flax somehow accentuate the saltiness.

Any way, I encourage you to try the recipe if you haven't already. It's a delicious and healthful loaf with great texture, and makes a great sandwich bread. The drawer in the freezer for Elliott's snacks was getting very low so I thought I'd better fill it with bread for when I'll be away. I told him the bread was for him and his response was: "No! It's for you!" When I asked him why his explanation was :"You just love baking bread!" Can't deny it!!!

Comments

I made this loaf today. It's beautiful. Pictures on my site. Midwestbaker@blogspot.com

boy, looking at these bread photos puts me in the mood to bake bread but with the temperature soaring i feel too guilty to turn on the oven! when i'm on vacation i think i'll try using my grill for a no knead bread. i'm betting it will work!

as for how i decide on starter vs straight dough method, if the bread has a lot of flavor from other elements i don't bother with the starter. and of course, since i always have a freezer full of old retired starter leftover from feeding my starter each week, i often opt to use it for extra flavor and better shelf-life.

How you decide whether you would use the straight dough method or the sponge method to bake bread?
I actually used your Bread Bible method to convert the recipe to the sponge method and knead by hand. I thought the 2 teaspoon salt was a bit much so I reduced it to 1 1/2 teaspoon. The bread was gorgeous.

thanks sherrie. i never tire of this bread--it is the perfect sandwich loaf and great for toast as well.

I love, love, love this bread! I use it for rolls and bread and it is fantastic. I use up to 50% whole wheat flour and it holds up very well. It is so versatile...I often vary the flax/oat additions with grain blends, and it works like a charm. I am truly grateful, Rose, for this wonderful recipe!

thanks patrincia, and mary, for future use of this blog you need to put the name or part of the name in the search box OR go to the column on the left and scroll down to recipes. then click on the type, i.e. in this case bread, and then scroll down til you find it.

june, the famous baker didier rosado configured this flour to be the most like artisinal flour in france. apparently he did not consider the ascorbic acid to be necessary as this flour has such excellent extensibility but you can always add your own. it's only a very minute amount. first try the new better for bread and see if you even need it though!

Mary Crouch
Mary Crouch
08/ 2/2008 08:16 AM

How on earth do you find the recipe for this revisted Golden Honey Oat Bread?
I simply cannot find it Thanks.

Rose, I have baked bread since high school and have used different methods. Currently, I use sour dough starter. Why did Gold Medal take the ascorbic acid out of the original Better for Bread? It is a dough conditioner and I liked the results that I got.

Well, I don't know how much difference it would make to the bake, but is essentially a small amount of steam, which will condense in droplets under the right conditions. Anyone who want to keep the skin of their bread humidified better slosh in some water or toss some ice in a skillet. Thanks, Rose, for remembering me.

thank you jim and great to hear from you. i suspected it wasn't as straight forward as the tech guy implied! i hate passing on mis-information.

That would explain why I find little dried "drip marks" around my gas burners, even though no liquid has dripped down the side of my saucepan.

Rose, strictly speaking that is not correct. Natural gas is a combination of various hydrocarbons, primarily methane. The flame in your gas oven is gas glowing from the heat released by the oxidation of methane (and the other gases) into carbon dioxide and water. So, the air surrounding your gas flame should have a higher humidity than the air surrounding an electric element, which heats without releasing water.

re gas vs. electric, i called tech support at wolf range and was told that "heat is heat" and electric is not drier than gas. of course convection is another matter but glad to settle the question definitively from the experts.

Jennifer, this bread recipe was one of the first scratch bread recipes I tired, and it was wonderful!!!

Thanks! Yes, I agree it's all about adjusting to what one has.

Appreciate your insights.

i like the evenness of electric for cakes as there is less fluctuation of temperature but honestly, i find the difference between ovens greater between the brand of oven the gas vs. electric. i use a wolf commercial gas oven, a sharp microwave convection with convection only, and a gaggenau electric and each is different but each is acceptable. when i travel to other places i have problems with uneven ovens, or uneven racks in the oven, and back to front differentials which i try to compensate for by turning the baked goods around part way through baking. but the best thing is to know your own oven and adjust to it. in fact i use convection with my gaggenau for the last 10 minutes of bread baking to crisp the crust by ridding the oven of it's moisture. if you're getting burnt crust that's another issue entire and could be faulty oven or too high a temperature.

One more question/observation:

Do yuo have a preference for gas/electric ovens?

I have been baking bread and sweeets in a gas oven for ten years. I jusrtt installed a second oven (electric) and find a very different result.

Especially with bread. During phase 2 of baking a no-knead loaf --when I take the loaf out of the pot, put it on a cookie sheet and let it continue to brown and dry out--mt experience isthat the loaf will continue to brown wonderfully in the gas oven but tend towards being burnt in the elec tric..same temp (by thermometer) and same location in their respective ovens.

My conclusion is that the electric heat is a much drier heat and thus tends to suck much more moisture out of a baked item...esp the bread crust.

I haven't baked any cakes yet in the electric (that's tomorrow) so looking forward to seeing what differences if any occur. Some of my cakes bake way too moist in the gas, so I am actually looking forward to its apparent drying effect.

gold medal assures me it's the exact same flour but flour does vary slightly from harvest to harvest.

So, so pretty!

Rose...is there any difference between the old Harvest King and the "new" Better For Bread? I am noticing a difference in how they take up water.

i don't see why not but you do need some basic instruction on shaping bread. there are great illustrations in the bread bible which you can take out of the library if you don't already have it or perhaps try googling shaping bread!

Gotta try baking bread. This loaf looks so good! Is it a good one for a first try?

Jennifer