Fresh From The Forums

Rose's forums are the best place to get answers from the smartest baking community online.

Ta Da!!!

Jul 6, 2008 | From the kitchen of Rose

I've just been given word that the new flour bag for Gold Medal Better for Bread is shipping to stores around the country.This is the same wonderful red winter wheat flour formerly known as "Harvest King." And the bag still sports my best basic hearth bread on the back. But the color of the bag is now a bright canary yellow and in a little circle under the deep gold Gold Medal medallion is a photo of me!

I couldn't be more pleased and proud. Here is a preview of what you will see when you shop for flour in the U.S.

Comments

Rose, this is YOU, the gold medal better for bread flour.

and you are very strong! my sourdough bread rose too fast overnight since it was a bit warm last night, it smashed against the plastic wrap covering and it was near making an overflow mess.

so, i punched it down and in a matter of two hours it is when i took this picture.

the dough, when punched down fills only half of the pan!!!

i understand the rise and the bread remains strong when the dome is so nicely round and when pressed lightly it will keep its shape.

Increase the yeast by 1.25. Replace the whole wheat flour with white flour. It won't be quite as tasty without the whole wheat, but it will still be good.

Hi.
I'm trying to make a bread, not a fancy one, just a normal any kind of simple bread for my family. We live in Moscow, Russia and here the bread sold is not tasty.So, i decided to bake a bread myself, but my first bread a total failure.
Does anybody have an easy recipe for a simple bread? I just bought this special flour from Harvest King, Better for Bread and there was a recipe on the package, but it requires Whole Wheat four and brean machine yeast(?).
I only have white flour and don't have bread machine yeast. It's hard to go outside and buy these kinds of stuff here....
Please help me out!!!
Thanks a lot. :)

I always go by volume because room temperature can affect rising times dramatically--plus if you allow the bread to over rise, it will weaken the gluten structure. A lot of recipes recommend reducing the amount of starter used in the summer.

Hi, I am very new at the bread and blog thing! I have a question for anyone who knows more than me which is probably everyone. I have only made 3 loaves of bread so far and am in the process of making my first sourdough. My recipe said the first rising should take approx 4 hours to double it's size. It is more than double its size and it has only been about 2 1/2 hours. Should I wait the entire 4 hours or do you think it is ready? Thanks for the help, Jenny

I agree, I think "Better for Bread" is easier for people to understand.

Yet Another Anna
Yet Another Anna
07/12/2008 01:30 PM

I'm glad they redesigned the bags. Honestly when Harvest King first came out, I was a tad confused as to its' place in the scheme of things. IMO, it's less confusing to give it the old 'Better for Bread' label.

I like the bright yellow! :)

Michael L from SF
Michael L from SF
07/10/2008 06:20 PM

I love it!

I love it, love it, love it!
Thanks for sharing, the flour will be so much easier to find on the shelf now.

Zach Townsend
Zach Townsend
07/ 8/2008 03:11 PM

I love it!

I, too, have been looking for Harvest King. I bought the "new" bag in desperation. Later that week, I found the "old" bag and bought a larger supply. I thought the new was old and the old was new!

I love the sunny yellow bag, Rose!
After this wedding cake I am making this week, I am ready to move onto bread for a bit.
I will try and find that flour here in the Bay Area!

Thanks for letting us know, now I know what to look for. I recently went to every supermarket in a 30 mile radius trying to find the Harvest King flour. When I finally found it I bought all 6 bags!

Been using this for 3 weeks now! Although I prefer the olive green color of the former package, it's the flour that's important. Price in Richmond VA is $2.60 per 5 lb.

Making 120 no-knead large baguettes per week with it for the local Farmer's Market. Hopefully will be able to buy 50 lb bags soon.

Varieties of no-knead I am baking:
Rosemary/Parmesan, Red Pepper Flake/Parmesan, Roasted Vidalia Onion, Whole Garlic Clove, Raisin w 1/3 whole wheat, Sun-dried plum, Cranberry/Orange, Olive with Italian herbs. More to come.

Sorry...but that yellow is just too bright for me! Perfect for Hector though! :)

Another kitchen poster material and I feel honored it is a yellow so appropriate to me!

Patrincia, Rose reported on the 2 qt size non enamel, fits great for most 1 small loaf recipes. I am certain the 4.75 qt works fine, but more for a double loaf recipe or for the original New York Times no-knead recipe which reported on an enamel version.

I use a non enamel lodge 5 qt for my double loaves. Just easier to keep clean and conditioned than using enamel pots.

Btw, anyone looking to purchase a cast iron dutch oven like Rose uses to bake some of her breads, Costco is currently carrying a 4.75 quart Lodge cast iron dutch oven with lid for only $24.

Have to make a trip to the US!

Congratulations!!!