Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

My new non-stick rolling pin, rolling mat, and "fast tracks" are now available. Click on Rose's Family of Bakeware Products, and then click on APG, Rose's Signature Series.

Cordon Rose Cream Cheesecake

Feb 25, 2009 | From the kitchen of Rose

Comments

I know this post is dated. I just learned you can make sour cream from heavey cream. Add a few tbsps of cultured milk (buttermilk) to the heavey cream (if they dont have buttermilk near you yogurt should do just fine or you can buy mesopholic cultures online I think and tgat works. Keep it on counter overnight in glass. The next day, you will have sour cream. If you have eaw unoastarized cream, you dont need to culture it, just simply leave plain whole cream on the counter forca bit longer, maybe a few days in glass and its soured cream.

Oh and years ago someone posted tgey couldnt get sour cream where tgey lived I remember. I wanted to say I justrealized if youvadd a few tbsps of buttermilk or you could probably even try yogurt to the heavey cream and leave overnight you have sour cream. If its raw cream you can just leavebit overnight without the buttermilk but then it might take a few days then. Or use cheese culture. Dome people heat the cewamm to room temperature before adding buttermilk.

Really I love goat cheese but I usually like it in savory stuff. But I know in italy they use sheeps milk in riccota for both sweetvand savory. But sheeps milk is sweeter then goats. I guess once you add the eugar to the cheese it tastes good. Maybe cause goats cream cheese has more fat it ggives a better texture?

Maggie Meister
Maggie Meister
08/14/2015 01:59 PM

Sherry, my daughter told me that goat cheese makes "a wicked good" cheesecake (but it might not be the Cordon Rose recipe. Since she has a neighbor with a herd, and with the buck kept separately, their cream cheese is pretty nifty, not 'goaty' at all. Best wishes, Maggie

Also sherry I think you cooked it too long unless that wedding cake variation has to be cooked longer.i think you only need to bake it for like 45 minutes or sonething. I dont have the book opened now but I remember cooking it for much less.But as I said in the previous post, make sure tge tin foils on the bottom and cook any added fruits in sugsr. As far as cheese, follow there advice on philidelphia or as I said I had luck with shoprite and americas choice. By the firmer variation I think you mean the all yolk. I like that one as I use it when I make macaroons and have extra yolks.

Hi sherry, I was reading this post I wanted to say its also important to cover the bottom of the panvwith tin foil. If it gets wet on the bottom that causes curdling. Philidelphia works great but also shoprite brand and americas choice work nicely I think. When I make it gor holidays I use philidelphia. The recipe doesnt recomnend the natural cheeses (I guess like the fresh cheeses they have at some bagel stores) which are good for bagels but i supppose wouldnt produce the best results in this recipe. You probably wouldnt be able to taste to good fresh cheese anyway cause this recipe has other tastey ingredients. But americas choice and shoprite has similar ingredients. That being said you may as well spendca little extra and get philidelphia as it might not be much more. Also any fruit you add, I would cook down till its jellylike maybe with the sugar you will add.

Okay,im guessing you tested these recipes and found the commercial cream cheeses (particularly philidelphia) produced the best and fullproof results?I can honestly say Iv never tried it with natural cream cheeses but I love cream cheese and other creamy cheeses without vegetable gums for their creamier texture. Usually those cheeses only come in small contsiners so I agree from the economical standpoint and the sour cream gives it a nice creamier texture. I will say full fat philidelphias madecwith whole milk and cream which is important as some natural cream cheeses dont contain cream. I will say I find store bought riccota inferior in texture due to the vegetsble gums.im not a food snob but I was brought up on pollyo without all those gums. Now iv been making my own riccota which is creamy since I add cream. But cream cheese I think traditionally has those gums as it must have when the book was writen. Sometimes I use store brand cream cheese with satisfactory results too. I know the vegetable gums are all natural harmless and even can be organic though. And this recipe always comes out great.

Hi Anonymous,
We have stated in our books that we recommend Philadelphia cream cheese, because its whole-milk variety is: available in most countries, consistent, and less expensive than most "natural" cream cheeses. Cream cheeses without gums will generally aerate more, yielding more volume and less creaminess. Our preference is for a creamier versus cakier in texture cheesecake.
Rpse & Woody

Is the reason you recommend philidelphia over some fresh natural cream cheese because some gormet shops snd farm stands make it with whole milk instead of cream? Or is it because of the additives. I love cheeses made without the vegetabke gums but for this cake I ususllybuse commetcial cream cheese often philidelphia since tge other ingrefients makevit nice and creamy, but I dont think the additives do anything other then extend the shelf life. I could see though why some fresh cheeses made with all whole milk and no cream might not give the right creamy consistency especially since this recipe contains no flour. I know riccota cheesecake due to its lower fat content usually has flour and heavey cream. This cheesecake is meant to have a more creamy custard like texture.

I meant to say ive used store brand cream cheeses

Sherrie adding the rubarb I think might make it watety and curdle. Im just guessing cause I made cheesecake eith blrnded strawberries and it was more curdly. That being said I dont think a little curdling makes a bad cheesecake. I usually use philidelphia but Ive use dtore brands with good results. N8t sure what the recipe means when it says avoid natural cream cheeses. If it means/without the additives like the vegetable gums I sctually prefer tge creamy natural cheeses without the guar gums. But for cheesecake I wouldnt necesarly buy pricey cream cheese eith all the other stuff in the recipe. Im thinking my natural cream cheese they might mean some fresh cream cheeses made out of milk instead of cream, which is technically yogurt cheese I think but often im guessing farms might label it cream cheese. I could see why you would need a cream cheesse made with cream such as philidelphia cause this recipe doesnt call for flour sndvinly a bit of optional cornstarch so I could see why some fresh cream cheese made eith pure whole milk, while delicous might notvwork well for this creamy custsrd type cheesecske recipe. Also I wouldnt use lofat. Make dure you didnt accidently buy lofat cause my dad did that once.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Sherrie
07/11/2015 06:20 PM

Hi Sherrie,
We ask these questions for Rose's recipes and we have not made any of the CI recipes.
We recommend Philadelphia cream cheese for making cheesecakes. What brand are you using?
Were your previous attempts in which the cake was too soft still creamy?
Once you have blended in the sour cream, you may try detaching the whisk beater to hand which the mixture, scraping along the bottom of the bowl, and using a silicone spatula to scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure the batter is uniform throughout.
Rose & Woody

I recently made this cake as a 10" using the method in the wedding cake section of TCB...it came out finely curdled (I made a rhubarb cheesecake ages ago that curdled but that was because of overbaking). I baked as per the firmer directions in RHC because my previous attempt at this cake ended up being too soft. I baked in my oven in a water bath for 1 hour 20 minutes to get an internal temperature (in centre) of 155F. I didn't do the 1 hour cool because I was using the directions for a firmer cheesecake. The cake was level, browned, and no cracks. BUT...it was grainy -- not big curdles, just finely grained little curdles -- not the right texture at all. I followed mixing technique exactly. THEN...I made a different recipe (CI) and had the same fine grained results. I had tested my oven with 2 thermometers (A CDN Dot 2 and another one I have around) and it was at the correct temperature. The CI cake was pulled at 147F (instead of the 1 hour in the oven) and based on the results of the extra time needed to get the correct temperature, I don't think my oven was too high (though it did brown??). I followed the mixing instructions correctly (times/etc.). Do you have any ideas as to what would be causing this?

In both cases, the cakes were firm upon chilling and look great from the outside.

Oh, I see, so the water bath I guess helps it cook gently

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from krissy
04/ 3/2015 01:43 PM

Hi Krissy,
The cheesecake does not curdle due to it being baked in a waterbath.
Rose & Woody

I just made this cheesecake for the holidays. I love this recipe and I make it often. I wonder why even without cornstarch it foesnt curdle when its made with sour cream and eggs. Usually in custards I make if I dont first heat the eggs slowly on tge stovetop, the eggs curdlr, even whrn baked. Sour cream curdles too, yet this recipe works well even without cornstarch.

Anonymous in reply to comment from Plum
04/18/2014 01:40 PM

Put aluminum foil on bottom of the pan and wipe up any access water after.

Its fine without a crust. Use aluminum foils on bottom of pan, and put in a hot water bath and keep in turned off oven for hour after baking. Then towel down any liquide on bottom if you take bottomnof pan off or jyst dryvaround itvand keep the bottom on pan.

Use aluminum foil on the bottom of cake that helps and put in a hot water bath. Dont forfet to keep it in oven for an hour. Tgis caje is meant to gave a soft crwamy consistency.

Hi David, I tried the recipe for the second time but I used egg yolks instead of whole eggs and I still added the cornstarch. I baked it for 50 minutes, left it in the oven for an hour. It was much better than my first try but I found the cheesecake too soft. The texture, when eaten, was Almost like the snack pack pudding , only this one holds its shape. I'm not sure if I'm making sense!!!
But I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who knows how to get this right. :)

David Chau
David Chau in reply to comment from Plum
02/ 7/2014 07:24 PM

Hi Plum,

I had the same problem, and that was my fourth one. I am wondering if the recipe needs a crust to absorb to moisture?

Margi in Ky
Margi in Ky
02/ 6/2014 06:10 PM

Just found your blog and your cheesecake being on the front page I just had to say that I found your recipe in a Wilton Wedding Cake book. That would be 20 years this coming May. We had it made for our wedding reception at that time with the strawberries on top. It was exquisite and loved by everyone there. Both DH and I commented on this over the years but due to his health he was no longer able to eat this but it was loved and I still have the book. Thanks for great memories.

Hi Rose! I did this recipe yesterday and followed everything to the last instruction. I used the banana variation and omitted the cornstarch. After baking it for 45 minutes in a hot water bath, icon led it and refrigerated it for more than 8 hours. I cut through it this morning and the center was so runny and liquid. Please tell me what aiming hot have done wrong! :(

Thank you!

I like heavy cream also called whipping cream in cheesecake and I believe they do have that in India as I think its common in teas. Creme frache alth9ugh its hard to get in the us I heard is good substitute and I beleive there is a way of maki g it with whipping craem and buttetmilk or yogurt but I thi k it takes hours.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Anonymous
04/30/2013 11:36 AM

HI Aviva,
Whole eggs generally give a stronger structure. Egg yolks generally give a richer flavor.
We suggest, that in time, you try both recipes to see which one you prefer.
Rose & Woody

Hi, Woody!

How do these two cheesecskes differ -- the one with 6 yolks vs. 3 whole eggs -- in taste/texture, etc?

Thanks!

--ak

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Aviva
04/30/2013 01:57 AM

Hi Aviva,
We do not have this recipe on the blog, but you can see it on the Fine Cooking website.
We do have this Rose cheesecake recipe on the blog, if you do a search for:
New York Creamy Cheesecake
This basically the same recipe using 3 whole eggs, which you could substitute in 6 egg yolks.
Rose & Woody

I have been making your Classic Creamy Cheesecake since it came out in Fine Cooking. It is the only Cheesecake! I am in another country right now and don't have my recipes and need the recipe can you help me out?PLEASE :)Thank You ps it is the one that uses only 6 egg yolks.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Shraddha
02/13/2013 03:13 PM

Hi Shraddha,
We suggest that you make your own lady fingers, which we have a recipe for them in Rose's Heavenly Cakes. There are several substitutions for sour cream, such as ricotta cheese and yogurt. However, none will give you the same texture and flavor as sour cream. You will need experiment with adjusting baking time and possibly adding some cornstarch or flour to aid in firming the cheesecake depending on what you substitute.
We express there are many recipes in which there are not viable substitutions. An example is a recipe requiring cardamom. Its dinstinctive flavor has no alternatives.
We suggest that you post this on the Forums section, which will give your request more visibility for our international baking community to give suggestions to this subject.

Rose & Woody

I am a fan of you and living in India where we don't get sour cream and ladyfingers as displayed in your recipe.
Request you to please tell us any substitute for this.

Shraddha

I made the banana cheesecake this weekend and am absolutely AMAZED by how creamy it is. No trace of hardness anywhere, not even on the edges, despite the fact that the cake bakes at 180C.

I've previously baked supposedly creamy cheesecakes at 110 and used recipes that rely on a higher percentage of cornflour to eggs, but they all came out hardish around the edges, even when I used Rose's Heavenly Cake Strip.

The trick, I guess, is baking the cake in a water bath.

Thank you Rose. My long quest for the perfect cheesecake is now over. And the banana version was sooo morish hat I had all my friends and neighbours asking for more.

Casper

I was just curious, I make this cheesecake a lot and just made it, and I know it says Rose does not recommend "natural" cream cheese. What is natural cream cheese? I usually use philidephia or a store brand and have good results, and most of the additives in it are all natural anyway. Has anybody ever cooked cheesecake using "natural?" What is it? Although I do like using natural ingredients and that is why I like homemade cakes, I have never thought of cream cheese as unnatural at all, and it tastes fresh and like real cheese, so that was why I was curious.

maggie, i always recommend that people at high altitudes consult susan purdee's book pie in the sky and her blog www.highaltitudebaking.com
as she has tested baking recipes at many different elevations.

Hello - I'm just about to attempt making the Cordon Rose Cheesecake. Living at 3,150ft elevation and using a 9 3/4" inside diameter springform pan. I'd like to know if you have an idea about how to scale your recipe in this situation. Gislen says one needs 4 1/2 pounds of batter for the larger pan. It doesn't matter if the cake isn't as high, as a smaller serving might be right because it will be one among many desserts. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

sara, you can decrease the sourcream if you like less tang.

jennifer, i suspect this cake wouldn't suffer from adding sugar later as long as it gets mixed in unlike other types of cakes that are dependent on how the sugar gets mixed to establish aeration. cheesecake isn't airy. i wonder if you made it again or discovered this to be true?

I am hoping someone can answer a few questions concerning the cordon rose cheese cake. I am entering this in a fair tomorrow and hoping to get a blue ribbon so its really important that I get it perfect! I am making the banana with the white chocolate cream cheese butter cream the the almond bisciut for the bottom only and topping it with the fresh blueberry topping. I have it in the oven now but debating wether I forget this one and start over! The silly thing I did was to forget to add the sugar at the beginning with the cream cheese so I had to add it as the very last ingredient! Silly me. If this will some how effect the cake I will start over! Also I made this cake the other day and all though it was delicious when it is cut a small amount of water is left on the plate and as a result there was very little flavor to the almond biscuit! I followed the directions to a tee! This time I added the cornstarch and will place the bisciut last as stated in the wedding cheese cake. Any comments will certainly be helpful!! Again about adding the sugar last.. should I start over??

This Cheesecake is EXCELLENT! Extremely creamy. What will happen if you use less sour cream? It's like I can taste the tartness/bitterness.

Lorraine from North Salem
Lorraine from North Salem
04/ 9/2009 01:01 PM

I've been making this cake for years from when it appeared in the NYTimes. It's my niece's favorite cake and she requested that I make it for her birthday on Easter. Couldn't find the recipe and was thrilled to see Rose's video. What a pleasure to see her prepare this excellent cake. The recipe I had also included some apricot levkar (sp) that was swirled throughout before baking. Excellent, but not necessary.

Rose on YouTube...brilliant! I have always meant to make the cheesecake, am so going to do it this week!

What a lovely thing for Emily and her husband to do for your birthday Hector!

the cordon rose creamy cheesecake is a classic and now often interpre(imi)tated, as my dearest friend Emily made one for my 2008 birthday. Emily got the biscuit roulade idea from Cake Bible never had she seen a picture or a video of the actual cordon rose version! The strawberry rose was made by Emily's husband, Carlos, in Rose honor.

here is the repost: