For a great tutorial, check out the Baking Bible Bake Along with ROSE'S ALPHA BAKERS. The link is on the left side of the blog. We will also be posting "OUT-BAKES" from the book, on this blog, including step-by step photos and other extras.

Cordon Rose Cream Cheesecake

Feb 25, 2009 | From the kitchen of Rose

Comments

Anonymous in reply to comment from Plum
04/18/2014 01:40 PM

Put aluminum foil on bottom of the pan and wipe up any access water after.

Its fine without a crust. Use aluminum foils on bottom of pan, and put in a hot water bath and keep in turned off oven for hour after baking. Then towel down any liquide on bottom if you take bottomnof pan off or jyst dryvaround itvand keep the bottom on pan.

Use aluminum foil on the bottom of cake that helps and put in a hot water bath. Dont forfet to keep it in oven for an hour. Tgis caje is meant to gave a soft crwamy consistency.

Hi David, I tried the recipe for the second time but I used egg yolks instead of whole eggs and I still added the cornstarch. I baked it for 50 minutes, left it in the oven for an hour. It was much better than my first try but I found the cheesecake too soft. The texture, when eaten, was Almost like the snack pack pudding , only this one holds its shape. I'm not sure if I'm making sense!!!
But I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who knows how to get this right. :)

David Chau
David Chau in reply to comment from Plum
02/ 7/2014 07:24 PM

Hi Plum,

I had the same problem, and that was my fourth one. I am wondering if the recipe needs a crust to absorb to moisture?

Margi in Ky
Margi in Ky
02/ 6/2014 06:10 PM

Just found your blog and your cheesecake being on the front page I just had to say that I found your recipe in a Wilton Wedding Cake book. That would be 20 years this coming May. We had it made for our wedding reception at that time with the strawberries on top. It was exquisite and loved by everyone there. Both DH and I commented on this over the years but due to his health he was no longer able to eat this but it was loved and I still have the book. Thanks for great memories.

Hi Rose! I did this recipe yesterday and followed everything to the last instruction. I used the banana variation and omitted the cornstarch. After baking it for 45 minutes in a hot water bath, icon led it and refrigerated it for more than 8 hours. I cut through it this morning and the center was so runny and liquid. Please tell me what aiming hot have done wrong! :(

Thank you!

I like heavy cream also called whipping cream in cheesecake and I believe they do have that in India as I think its common in teas. Creme frache alth9ugh its hard to get in the us I heard is good substitute and I beleive there is a way of maki g it with whipping craem and buttetmilk or yogurt but I thi k it takes hours.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Anonymous
04/30/2013 11:36 AM

HI Aviva,
Whole eggs generally give a stronger structure. Egg yolks generally give a richer flavor.
We suggest, that in time, you try both recipes to see which one you prefer.
Rose & Woody

Hi, Woody!

How do these two cheesecskes differ -- the one with 6 yolks vs. 3 whole eggs -- in taste/texture, etc?

Thanks!

--ak

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Aviva
04/30/2013 01:57 AM

Hi Aviva,
We do not have this recipe on the blog, but you can see it on the Fine Cooking website.
We do have this Rose cheesecake recipe on the blog, if you do a search for:
New York Creamy Cheesecake
This basically the same recipe using 3 whole eggs, which you could substitute in 6 egg yolks.
Rose & Woody

I have been making your Classic Creamy Cheesecake since it came out in Fine Cooking. It is the only Cheesecake! I am in another country right now and don't have my recipes and need the recipe can you help me out?PLEASE :)Thank You ps it is the one that uses only 6 egg yolks.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Shraddha
02/13/2013 03:13 PM

Hi Shraddha,
We suggest that you make your own lady fingers, which we have a recipe for them in Rose's Heavenly Cakes. There are several substitutions for sour cream, such as ricotta cheese and yogurt. However, none will give you the same texture and flavor as sour cream. You will need experiment with adjusting baking time and possibly adding some cornstarch or flour to aid in firming the cheesecake depending on what you substitute.
We express there are many recipes in which there are not viable substitutions. An example is a recipe requiring cardamom. Its dinstinctive flavor has no alternatives.
We suggest that you post this on the Forums section, which will give your request more visibility for our international baking community to give suggestions to this subject.

Rose & Woody

I am a fan of you and living in India where we don't get sour cream and ladyfingers as displayed in your recipe.
Request you to please tell us any substitute for this.

Shraddha

I made the banana cheesecake this weekend and am absolutely AMAZED by how creamy it is. No trace of hardness anywhere, not even on the edges, despite the fact that the cake bakes at 180C.

I've previously baked supposedly creamy cheesecakes at 110 and used recipes that rely on a higher percentage of cornflour to eggs, but they all came out hardish around the edges, even when I used Rose's Heavenly Cake Strip.

The trick, I guess, is baking the cake in a water bath.

Thank you Rose. My long quest for the perfect cheesecake is now over. And the banana version was sooo morish hat I had all my friends and neighbours asking for more.

Casper

I was just curious, I make this cheesecake a lot and just made it, and I know it says Rose does not recommend "natural" cream cheese. What is natural cream cheese? I usually use philidephia or a store brand and have good results, and most of the additives in it are all natural anyway. Has anybody ever cooked cheesecake using "natural?" What is it? Although I do like using natural ingredients and that is why I like homemade cakes, I have never thought of cream cheese as unnatural at all, and it tastes fresh and like real cheese, so that was why I was curious.

maggie, i always recommend that people at high altitudes consult susan purdee's book pie in the sky and her blog www.highaltitudebaking.com
as she has tested baking recipes at many different elevations.

Hello - I'm just about to attempt making the Cordon Rose Cheesecake. Living at 3,150ft elevation and using a 9 3/4" inside diameter springform pan. I'd like to know if you have an idea about how to scale your recipe in this situation. Gislen says one needs 4 1/2 pounds of batter for the larger pan. It doesn't matter if the cake isn't as high, as a smaller serving might be right because it will be one among many desserts. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

sara, you can decrease the sourcream if you like less tang.

jennifer, i suspect this cake wouldn't suffer from adding sugar later as long as it gets mixed in unlike other types of cakes that are dependent on how the sugar gets mixed to establish aeration. cheesecake isn't airy. i wonder if you made it again or discovered this to be true?

I am hoping someone can answer a few questions concerning the cordon rose cheese cake. I am entering this in a fair tomorrow and hoping to get a blue ribbon so its really important that I get it perfect! I am making the banana with the white chocolate cream cheese butter cream the the almond bisciut for the bottom only and topping it with the fresh blueberry topping. I have it in the oven now but debating wether I forget this one and start over! The silly thing I did was to forget to add the sugar at the beginning with the cream cheese so I had to add it as the very last ingredient! Silly me. If this will some how effect the cake I will start over! Also I made this cake the other day and all though it was delicious when it is cut a small amount of water is left on the plate and as a result there was very little flavor to the almond biscuit! I followed the directions to a tee! This time I added the cornstarch and will place the bisciut last as stated in the wedding cheese cake. Any comments will certainly be helpful!! Again about adding the sugar last.. should I start over??

This Cheesecake is EXCELLENT! Extremely creamy. What will happen if you use less sour cream? It's like I can taste the tartness/bitterness.

Lorraine from North Salem
Lorraine from North Salem
04/ 9/2009 01:01 PM

I've been making this cake for years from when it appeared in the NYTimes. It's my niece's favorite cake and she requested that I make it for her birthday on Easter. Couldn't find the recipe and was thrilled to see Rose's video. What a pleasure to see her prepare this excellent cake. The recipe I had also included some apricot levkar (sp) that was swirled throughout before baking. Excellent, but not necessary.

Rose on YouTube...brilliant! I have always meant to make the cheesecake, am so going to do it this week!

What a lovely thing for Emily and her husband to do for your birthday Hector!

the cordon rose creamy cheesecake is a classic and now often interpre(imi)tated, as my dearest friend Emily made one for my 2008 birthday. Emily got the biscuit roulade idea from Cake Bible never had she seen a picture or a video of the actual cordon rose version! The strawberry rose was made by Emily's husband, Carlos, in Rose honor.

here is the repost: