Downy Yellow Butter Cake

Feb 18, 2009 | From the kitchen of Rose

Comments

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from jegero
02/13/2014 08:12 AM

Hi Jegero,
The recipe is in "The Cake Bible". For two 9 inch round layers, we used 170 grams/12 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter.
We also have revised the recipe using sour cream and baking it in a taller pan on the blog on this posting~Rose's Favorite Yellow Layer Cake.
Rose & Woody

How much butter did you use in your Downy Yellow Butter Cake?

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Beth
12/14/2013 10:45 PM

Hi Beth,
If you have "The Cake Bible" this recipe is shown on page 492 for the Base Formulas for Butter Cakes using 2 inch high pans and tiered two cake layers high per tier. You could slice each cake layer in half to give you 4 cake ayers per tier.
Rose also gives several frosting recipes for wedding and special occasion cakes on the following pages.
The cake rounds can also be supported with drinking straws which are generally easier to place and cut to the height you desire.
Rose & Woody

Hi. I have used the Downy Yellow Butter Cake many times for large cakes and sheet cakes, and think it's such a good cake. Do you think it's too soft to hold up in a wedding cake with 10", 7" and 4" tiers? I would be using the proper dowels and cake boards between the tiers, of course. Would make 4 layers within each tier, brushed with simple syrup, and frosted with Swiss buttercream.

If it's too soft, I thought it may work to substitute some whole eggs for some of the yolks to make the cake a little firmer. Do you think this would work? Or do you recommend another very tasty and moist vanilla cake for a wedding cake?

Thank you!

Hi Jose,
We need to know what you specifically mean by vanilla cake, as the yellow cake's flavoring extract is vanilla. "The Cake Bible" and "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" have this egg yolks based cake as well as its counterpart in an egg whites based cake.
Rose & Woody

Jose Zepeda
Jose Zepeda
10/02/2013 07:43 PM

Do you have a awesome vanilla cake recipe in any of your books?

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from emy
02/21/2013 04:14 PM

Hi Emy,
We do not recommend substituting salted butter for unsalted butter because manufactures for butter have different levels of salt. If you use salted butter, you would have to guess how to reduce the salt.
We suggest you make two cakes one with salted butter and the other with unsalted butter so you can see the difference in taste.
Rose & Woody

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from rose bella
02/21/2013 04:09 PM

Hi Rosebella,
The amount of butter for one 9 by 1-1/2 inch pan is 6 tablespoons/85 grams.
The Cake Bible has both a two-layer version and charts for making it into a wedding or special occasions cake.
Rose & Woody

Hi Rose how much butter did you use in your downy yellow butter cake recipe. Love your recipes. thank you rosebella

hi rose. can i use salted butter or oil instead of unsalted butter

Hi Rose I wanna try this cake but somehow you forgot to mention how much butter u used in this cake batter, pls respond back n oh yah I baked your whipped cream cake n it taste good but my cake was kinda flat compare to yours, what did I do wrong, pls help

Thanks so much Julie.

I feel like an idiot: I said baking "soda" in my post but meant baking "powder." I will try Rumsford baking powder next.

Judy

Judy, I would suspect leavening- this cake calls for baking powder, not baking soda. Or, if you used baking powder, then perhaps you used one with aluminum. Rumford works well and doesn't contain aluminum.

HELP!! Where did I go wrong?
When I made this cake, it came out exactly as Rose described -- lovely texture, correct height. Nevertheless, although I used all the ingredients and techniques just as Rose specifies, the cake had a strange metallic, salty, almost artifical taste. I used real vanilla extract, superfine sugar, straight cake flour (not self-rising), and regular baking soda.

Donna Linnane
Donna Linnane
03/01/2011 04:35 PM

This is one of my favorite cakes! Just took one to my stepdaughter last Sunday for her birthday - and of course, she and her family loved it, too.

Beverly, I believe double acting baking powder is just regular baking powder, as regular store brand usually says that. So I hope that helps. Also, I've used different brands of cake flour and all works fine.

what a shame we didn't get to see THE FINISHED PRODUCT, whats up with that?

I just made your downy yellow cake. It came out 1/2 high - not 1.25. I checked the baking powder. It is working. What did I do wrong? I thought I followed all the directions. If you reply, can you reply to my email too. Thank you,
Susan

Beverly, I'm not in Canada, but I'll try to help. King Arthur flours sells their cake flour by mail, I have used it successfully with Cake Bible recipes. Here, my favorite baking powder is Rumsford, which is double-acting and does not contain aluminum, which can give a metallic taste.

In the recipe for Downy Yellow Cake you mention Double Acting Baking Powder - we haven't been able to get that here in years. Could you give me some brand names so I can do a web search for sources. Also we are unable to get Swans Down Cake Flour - I used to bring in from British Columbia but it is no longer available in Victoria - any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Beverly

Zach Townsend
Zach Townsend
02/26/2009 11:04 AM

These are fun to watch, thanks for posting! Rose looks as pretty as ever. :D

Loved watching this video, especially the way Rose works in so many extra tips (cream that has been frozen won't whip- took me a while to figure that out on my own, too bad I didn't watch this a year ago!)

Thanks Rose, and thanks Hector!

Dear Rose,
I am Soni from Soni's Flour Shop in Stroudsburg PA. I am so sorry I missed you today at my store. I hope you enjoy all the products and so hope you will stop by again. I cannot tell you enough how valuable your books have been to me. It is a real honor and I very much hope to see you again soon.
Soni.

Watching that video made me want to bake the downy yellow butter cake.