heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA | Canada | France | Germany | Japan | UK

PBS 107: All-American Chocolate Torte and French Génoise

Jun 10, 2009 | From the kitchen of Rose

This segment is intended to be a lesson in my basic mixing technique for the American butter layer cake and the French Génoise. There is no better way to see the consistency of the layer cake batter and the all important consistency of the génoise when it has been beaten for the full amount of time. THE RECIPES

Comments

Hi Mrs.Rose
I made the All-American Chocolate Torte this afternoon.
When mixing the batter, I thought the cake would be great.But when I served the cake, I found that it was dense ( but still moist and really "chocolaty")
I wonder what mistake I had made.
Can you give me some advices ?
Thank you.

Agnes, we are so happy you are reporting this. Success stories like yours, as simple as they may sound, are what keep us baking, blogging, youtubing, etc! Great job. /H

thank you soooo much!!!

I've been baking for a while and my sponge cakes always failed.
Except for once. I seem to either always underbeat or over beat my egg whites

But this recipe turned out great for me. I was very happy with the result. The syrup was needed.
I didn't flip my cake upside down to put syrup on the bottom and I notice that my cake was dry on the bottom.
But everywhere else that I had put the syrup it was perfect.

Thanks!!!

Great videos and very very useful!!
And Rose, you have a beautiful voice!
Silvia

i'm so thrilled to hear how useful this is for everyone--i couldn't be happier.

Thank you, thank you Rose for the video!!!! I was on the bake crew for a wedding this past weekend & making a genoise for a lemon cake was on my list. I tried & tried w/ 2 other recipes but got flat tough disks both times. I finally came across your video & after viewing it a couple of times (especially paying attention to the how you warmed the ingredients, folded in the egg whites & used the bands around the cake pans)I was able to produce a wonderfully light & lovely genoise. Thank you for all your tips!!!

I'm so happy to see these videos, I never fail to learn something- for genoise, the flour pellets come from incomplete folding of the flour before adding the butter. Good to know!

Hector:
Thanks...I try LOL

Hanna, I would wait for Rose's new book which will have a few recipes for oil based cakes.

In my opinion, oil cakes don't replace butter cakes, and you can't interchange the use of oil instead of butter at free will. Oil cakes have a more specific purpose. Oil cakes can never have the taste of butter, but in a few applications is desirable, like on a orange chiffon (cake bible) or on a coffee chiffon (rose's melting pot) or on a cake where the flavor is not delivered by the melt in the mouth function of butter in butter cakes.

Thank you, Rose for this marvelous demonstration of the genoise - I see now much of my difficulty in baking the cake. Am overjoyed to have been shown the way, since I am much more a visual person on a recent travail with this cake. Now I see hope!!

Hector, I'm intrigued by your "oil-based butter cake". One thing I like about oil-based cakes in general is that you don't have to worry if the oil is at the right room temperature, like you do with butter. Will you be posting a recipe soon? How do you incorporate the "butter" flavor into your cake? Can't wait to try it.

Great commentary. I've just wrote a cake review and said "the texture of you butter cake is excellent tender melt in your mouth texture, and I never have the crumbly issue others report.... explaining in a book what 'mix a few more minutes to develop the cake structure' is jus impossible.". Now with this video the words come better understood, at last!

Bill, one of the best practices I am recently enjoying, is to measure and premix if possible everything you can the day before or earlier! I actually calculated the minutes and mess this saves! I now live on a small kitchen, and this prep also saves space.

I am making a large oil based "butter" cakes for this weekend, I already have since last month all the dry ingredients mixed and stored in a bowl and all the wet ingredients combined and stored in the freezer. This is like working with cake mix!

I love the American butter cake. I once made it, didn't even torte it, just topped it with raspberry jam and a nice layer of whipped cream, and my coworkers loved it!

I love, love, love seeing these videos! Thank you so much for putting them on for us.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is so timely. I love the image of the whipped eggs and the thorough display of folding -- both of these "hard to explain" phenomena (at least to me) are much clearer.

good morning Rose...Thanks for this posting. Just finished watching the Clips on the Genoise. I do make the genoise fairly often, and am planning on making one this week for my Mom's B-day cake (she loves it with lemon curd filling and lemon Mousseline buttercream frosting). I never put my hand into the batter to be sure the flour was completely incorportated...and consequently spend about 10 minutes with a tooth pick, picking out the little "nuts" at the bottom. Great tip! Thanks again. I only wish I could keep my kitchen as neat as yours while I worked...I would probably need a staff of 70 to clean up after me. (Last time I baked, I made an attempt to do the "clean as you go" method...I did a little better...but I have a long way to go. Thanks again.