Dad’s 95 th The Highlights

Aug 6, 2009 | From the kitchen of Rose

I know I’m blessed that my father has reached this incredible age in reasonably good health and mind. But it still makes me sad that he has lost so much of his hearing, vision, and independence. He always has had an extraordinary ability to sleep and now he is sleeping 90% of the time. But when he’s not sleeping he’s always ready to eat and that is something I can do for him. So for 10 days I cooked and baked my heart out. This did not stop me from feeling guilty for becoming impatient with him when once again he misplaced his hearing aid and I had to shout for him to hear me. But it helped.

Of course there had to be his favorite cherry pie. That was going to be his birthday “cake”

DSC01922.jpg

until he put in a request for Black Forest Cake. At first I was annoyed because I didn’t have the right pan nor did I have access to the non-ultrapastuerized cream that makes such a difference and had he asked the week before when I asked him what he’d like I could have procured it. But then I decided to do what most of the rest of the world does: make do. I beat melted butter into the supermarket cream to increase the butterfat and stability (as I wrote about in The Cake Bible). I set the top cake layer on top of the cream filling before realizing I had forgotten to poke in the brandied cherries (which I found in back of the frig where I had stored them years ago). Upset at first, as I tried to lift off the top cake layer only to see it start to come apart, I decided to stick the cherries into the cream from the sides. So what if it didn’t look perfect—he couldn’t even see the difference. We enjoyed the cake over several days, complaining only once that the cream was lighter than he remembered it (well…yes!).

DSC01905.jpg

The day of his birthday we received an amazing surprise! My new book arrived weeks early at the publishers! Ava sent it overnight and my father went through every page. His pronouncement: “It has more pictures and better quality than your other books!” This week the VA is giving him an enlarger so when he gets his copy of the book he’ll be able to see it much better.

You’ve seen the front of the book so here’s a photo of the back of the book, which, I think, is just gorgeous. If you click on it you’ll be able to see a quote from Lisa Yockelson’s beautiful foreword!

DSC01933.jpg

Dad also hinted about corn bread so I made him my favorite corn fingers. He had them for dinner but they also made a great breakfast accompaniment to grilled corncob smoked bacon and Menegus free-range eggs. I called this the all yellow breakfast!

DSC01947.jpg

At the beginning of the week I whipped up a beer sandwich loaf (beer bread recipe on the blog) really speedy in the Cuisinart processor, for lunch sandwiches. Dinners included wonderful hamburgers from CeCe’s (Maria Menegus’s sister) cow on my burger buns, grilled lamb chops with bulgur and garlic scapes, roast duck with wild rice and oven roasted caramel apples, and the big drama: prime ribs of beef with grilled onions and Yorkshire popovers. This is the one request my father is willing to make ahead and I almost destroyed it burning down the house in the bargain!

This happened once before with a goose and I thought I had learned my lesson. This time, however, I really think I’ve learned not to put highly fatty foods directly on a 550˚F grill.

I had flames leaping almost 5 feet high as idiotically I tried to rescue the roast whereas I should have given up and left the grill lid down to put the fire out sooner. I even more idiotically tried tossing water softener on the flames and when that only served to pop out and fizzle all over the place I tried the small fire extinguisher which no longer was capable of spraying emitting only a piddly stream.

Elliott was miles away and my father was---asleep. As smoke filled the house I decided I should wake him up to keep him safe. Trembling I called Weber grill’s great hotline and they reassured me that the fire would be “contained in the sturdy grill box” but to keep it SHUT! Sadly I waited for the flames to go out and there was the $80 roast, bones burnt but to my amazement the inside was perfectly beautifully rare. This has to be the fastest way ever to cook prime ribs but not a method I would recommend! And it took 5 hours the next day to clean the grill.

Actually, I replaced all the burners (I had been meaning to do this for over a year) plus the ignition switch and now when I turn on the grill it lights immediately. So all was for the best (more or less).

Did I mention that we had wine with every meal (my Dad not much)?

We did sort of enjoy two dinners out. One was at the local lobster once-a-week place called of all things Luigi’s Rancho; the other was a stunning drive through mountain ranges to the Walpack Inn which has a great salad bar, fantastic view, and mediocre over-cooked food. Each time we go there we say it will be the last. But we did get this great photo of my Dad and the bear.

DSC01945.jpg

One of the sweetest things that happened during his stay was sent to me from my dear friend Diane Boate in S.F. It was a link to an article about my brother Michael who owns Pet Food Express and who ran a special promotion to raise money for bullet proof vests for police guard dogs in the Bay Area. He tells me they raised an amazing $70,000 in donations.

Speaking of pets, I asked my father’s part time caretaker how my Dad’s two beloved cats were doing with him away. Sweet Shelly told me that they always disappear when he leaves but this time she left a bundle of his dirty clothes in a corner and they snuggled into it and stayed put! Now they have him back home and I have all these precious memories.

Comments

I ended up making Quintessential Corn Muffins from the TBB, with my addition of chopped jalapenos for an extra kick. I decided to use the coarse stone-ground cornmeal as-is. Although the muffin tasted great, we didn't like the crunchy texture of the cornmeal. You could feel it and even hear it; it's like eating unpopped kernels of a bag of popcorn. Would it be sufficient to grind it in a food processor first? Or does it need to be soaked? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Matthew. Good to know. I baked a lot of things but this is my first time baking cornbread (hence my need for a reliable recipe which is why I turned to Rose's recipe), so I'll bake muffins first. My local stores only carry ***coarse*** stone-ground cornmeal (Bob's Red Mill brand). Does that work, or should I pulse it a few times in my food processor?

Speaking of that cornbread recipe, you can also bake a double recipe in a 9 inch square pan. It bakes in around 20 minutes. I've been making it that way lately just for something different from muffins.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :o)

yes, yes, and yes!

Rose,

I would like to make your corn bread tonight - hubby made chili for dinner. I'm assuming it's in the Bread Bible and I hope it's a quick bread, not a yeast bread. Do you think it would work in a muffin pan? I don't have a corn bread finger pan. Thank you!

Rose, that is one beautiful cherry pie! So glad you included the story about the grill fire and the black forest cake, they make me feel a little less alone in my own culinary "don'ts".

I just made your corn fingers tonight, to pair with veggie chili, and they are by far the best cornbread I've ever tasted. Thanks so much for another wonderful recipe!

thanks carol--it will post thursday with photo!

When you have time to post the story, Rose, I would love to read it. I'm sure that many others would feel the same.

carol, that reminds me of my great aunt bert's 90th birthday bash which was the last time our entire family from all over got together. i made the cake and ppl took home pieces bc, after all the months of discussion as to what food to have, at the time of the everyone was too moved emotionally to even think about eating! i'll have to post the story i did on it.

We share (with many others) a very poignant stage of life. I can so identify with all you describe about relating to an aging parent.

Thought you would enjoy knowing that your Topless Apple Pie (with pecans of course!) was the dessert at my mother's recent 92nd birthday bash with all the family in attendance. I served it with a dollop of Blackberry Yoghurt Cheese and garnished each plate with blackberry sauce swirls and apple butter dots. It was a huge hit with the birthday girl! Everyone else, too.

As Jeanette and others said, we'll all have lovely memories. Thanks for sharing yours.

miriam, how lovely you and your father will do this very personal and special cake together.
i've always been so happy with the philly cream cheese version i haven't tried any other cheese but i suspect brillat- savarin would work. try a 6 cup version to see and do let us all know!

Rose-

Congrats on the wonderful birthday! Your Cake Bible has lead my family to many wonderful birthday and wedding memories, also.

My question doesn't have to do with the birthday side of things, it's instead directed at the wedding....

As wedding gifts for close friends and family, my father has created (many times over!) your wonderful wedding cakes. The next one will be mine and it will be the only one of the many that neither he nor I have enjoyed making- the Golden Glory Wedding Cheesecake. But, with the two of us always striving for decadence, we want to know if we can use fancier cheese rather than the recommended Philadelphia cream cheese. In particular, the cheese we had in mind is brillat-savarin from France. Is this replacement even possible? We're willing to create test cakes! (I affectionately call my fiance a gourmond!)

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

i put the foil ring on right from the beginning and used convection--maybe that helped!

Beautiful pie Rose! How do you get the lattice so nicely brown without an egg wash?--at least it doesn't look it has one.

Rose:

All that cooking! It sounds just yummy. If I adopt you, will you cook for me that way?

This posting was just delightful...sorry about the fire, but it all seemed to happen for the best. This story reminds me quite a bit of my grandmother...who miraculously made it to 96. I had a wonderful relationship with her and she "got me" in a way that very few people do. I too, would occasionally loose my patience. I really do understand.

i didn't LEAVE it open, i opened it to sear the roast and turn it on all sides.

Love the pic of Dad and the bear!

Still can't figured out why you left the lid open on the grill?

And one great book backcover this is!

By the way, I think your dad looks great, tell him I said so, my dad used to love it whenever he got a compliment on his looks!

This so reminds me of my dad and his irritating ways, irritating to me that is, and it makes me feel so guilty now, goodness knows what I will be like when i get to that age!!!
Thank goodness you can spoil him, Rose, because he deserves it I'm sure. What lovely memories you'll have!