Rose's Heavenly Cakes DVD Part 6

Sep 16, 2009 | From the kitchen of Rose

Mousseline: The King of Buttercreams

You will see exactly how the texture should look at various stages and never fear it again!

Ganache: The Ultimate Chocolate Frosting
So quick, so easy, so fabulous!

Comments

thank you so much peggy for this lovely note. it makes it all worth while and so encouraging as i'm about to start on my next book which will be #10!

Thank you Rose, for the absolute best Recipe Books ever! I purchased my "Cake Bible" in 1988, so long ago that the pages have yellowed, I've used it so much that the pages are coming away from the spine--it's my favorite book! It is indeed my Bible! I've also purchase the Pie Bible as well! Love both! I have been making baked goods for friends and family for over 27 years after becoming serious about baking when I was first married. I use the "Stablized Whip Cream" for many delights, and Ganache, both are a favorite! Can't thank you enough for the passion in baking desserts and pies you're shared and helped me share with others in my life. Peggy DeLo

Hi Lleana,
Rose does give her recommended at room temperature storage times in The Cake Bible.
Neoclassic Buttercream pg 230: 6 hours
Mousseline Buttercream pg 244: 2 days
Added fruit purees and butters may only alter the time frames slightly. The variations show that you can a large proportion of fruit to the buttercreams.
If you are making the Mousseline Buttercream, we revised the recipe in Rose's Heavenly Cakes with the main revision being to add the cooled to room temperature Italian Meringue all at once to the creamed room temperature butter. This significantly reduces the chance of the buttercream becoming a curdled puddle.
Longer times, you are best off refrigerating for health safety.
Even the American Egg Board's website does not give room temperature storage times

I am in awe about the wealth of information you provide us!

I have a question about both the Mousseline and Neoclassic Buttercream keepeing qualities at room temperature,

It takes me a good two days to decorate some of my wedding or specialty cakes, I primarily bake butter cakes 2 days prior to the event, and I was wondering if these buttercreams would keep well at room tempertature once the cake is layered and covered in fondant,

Changing volume and risk of spoilage are the two things that consern me the most,

Also, I wonder if adding fresh fruit puree or fruit butters could add to the risk of spoilage,

I truly appreciate your feedback, and thanks again for all the information you provide us with,

I am happy I live far from NYC, because I think I would pass out if I ever ran into you!

Best,
I

yes but in my opinion it would be too tangy.

These videos are fantastic! I'm wondering, since it's possible to make ganache from sour cream, is it also possible to do so with greek or strained yogurt?

What wonderful videos ~ well done and informative. Delicious, too!

I am so happy to hear your voice for the first time, what a treat. It really adds a personal touch to the blog.

Now...I'm off to find out more about strawberry butter...:)

Silvia, no, the blender is not as sharp, as uniform, and also heats up the food. But I would defenitelly just try, maybe run small quantities and pulse in intervals. These cakes with small quantities of ground almonds are so great!

Is it possible to use a blender instead of a food processor?

Julie, i would guess the answers is no, otherwise Rose would have reported it =)

i've heard this is plain unbleached ap flour plus corn starch.

for decades, the term "cake" flour always referred as beached. it is quite disturbing now we are using the term "cake" flour for unbleached.

in other words it isn't anything new, if this new KA flour is the same old unbleached ap plus the corn starch trick.

Rose,
For one, thank you for the videos. As always they are lovely. On a side note, a rather unrelated topic, I went to the King Arthur Flour site this morning and noticed they had a new product, unbleached cake flour. Just thought that was so odd and wondered if you had any thoughts on that, or if you had ever tried using unbleached cake flour before.

Rose (and Hector), thank you so much for these videos! I'm so happy to see mousseline curdling just like it does in my kitchen- never again will I wonder if I've done something wrong.

Have you noticed any differences in texture or keeping qualities with the new method of adding the meringue to the butter? Can't wait to try it, it looks faster and easier then adding the butter to the meringue bit by bit.

The ganache tips are great, too- grinding the chocolate fine and avoiding stirring during cooling are things I will never forget again.

Meg, welcome to the blog! This is the kitchenaid bowl lift model with 6 quart capacity.

Rose,
It is so great to see the video of you making the frostings. I did not know you needed to let the ganache sit for 1 hour before frosting it on the cake. I was wondering what type of food mixer you use, because it looks so much like a large professional mixer.