heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA

Out-Cakes from Rose's Heavenly Cakes: Deep Chocolate Passion

Nov 18, 2009 | From the kitchen of Rose

The Deep Chocolate Passion Cake is one of the most exciting, revolutionary, and versatile cakes in this book. It serves as the base for:

The German Chocolate Cake

German%20Chocolate.jpg

The Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Ice%20Cream%20Sandiwch%20Cake%20Cut.jpg

The Designer Cupcakes

Designer%20Cupcakes.jpg

The Deep Chocolate Passion Wedding Cake

Deep%20Choc%20Passion%20Wedding%20Cake_00061.jpg

Preparing the Cake Pan for the Batter

Rose%27s%20Heavenly%20Cake%20Strip.jpg

The exceptionally liquid batter fills the pan only 1/4 to 1/3 full.

%231%20first%20show%20pouring%20batter%20in%20pan%2C%20%232%20this%20is%20showing%20how%20exceptionally%20little%20batter%20in%20pan.jpg

But, the batter rises to the top of the pan when baked.

%233%20Baked%20Cake%20Layer%20in%20Pan.jpg

Coating the sides of the pan with Baker's Joy (oil and flour) gives the smoothest sides but shrinks in slightly at the top.

305AA1measurementsfloursprayed.jpg

Not coating the sides of the pan results in a rougher crumb but perfectly straight sides. If coating with butter cream this is the best choice but if using a non-stick pan and care the sides will look fine uncoated as well

305AA2measurementsnoflour.jpg

Comments

Shalom.
Yesterday i made the German's chocolate cake version as a birthday cake.since there is no cake flour to be found where i live i replaced it with equal amount of the LILYS bleached all purpose flour. I also frosted the cake with the chocolate silk meringue butter-cream from the cake bible. The results were beyond amazing ...now i got everyone loving me :-)
thank you rose for sharing with us your wisdom.
I just want to say from my heart, every time i bake your cakes or bread's I feel much excitement and fulfillment. A sincere joy!!! Thank you again.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Omorfi
01/15/2012 12:28 AM

Hi Omorfi,
We recommend you first test the flour on a smaller scale with and without the potato or cornstarch as you can make a half recipe of the German Chocolate Cake to see how the flour performs.
If you can not bake all 4 cakes on two racks, then we recommend that you make half batters to make one 6 and one 9 inch layer. The recipe will divide better in half than trying to make percentage batters for the two different sizes.
We do not recommend refrigerating this batter.
If you make the full amount of the cocoa and water mixture, each cake batter can be mixed quite quickly by adding the cocoa/water mixture needed for each batter.

Hi Rose/Woody,
I think I have figured out what to do with the deep choco passion tier cake batter. Please correct me if I'm wrong, use 2/3 of the recipe for 2 9x2" pans and 1/3 of the recipe for 2 6x2" pans. That will solve my problem of baking it in my oven and for the batter to not sit for a long time or even refrigerated before baking. I'll just mix it in 2 batches:))

Hi I am planning to use deep choc passion cake base for my son's birthday cake but I live in UK and I don't have access for bleached all purpose flour. Since I am using Kate flour for all of Rose's cakes calling for cake flour, can anyone tell me if microwave treating an AP flour (8%) here without the replacement of potato/corn starch would be okay for this recipe?
And also this is my first time baking for tier cake, in Rose's heavenly cakes book, Rose had put the batter recipe of this cake for 2 9x2 inch and 2 6x2 inch in one mixing, does that mean I need to bake all 9" and 6" at the same time or the two pans can wait while the first 2 pans are baking? My oven is fairly small, 2 9" pans can barely fit in one rack. What will happen to the batter? Do I have to refrigerate the remaining batter? I think Rose had mentioned something about not refrigerating the batter?

hi woody, just to let you know that my roll cake cracked! I did a layered cake instead - it became a rectangular-shaped log cake. Cheers!

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from cutegal
12/14/2011 10:24 AM

Hi cutegal,
We have not tried this variation idea. You will have to experiment.

hi ... was thinking to use the german choc cake recipe - to do a yule log cake(with whipped cream filling & ganache frosting). Do you think it is workable - will it roll properly? Thanks.

Hi Chris,
the recipe is only published in Rose's Heavenly Cakes.

Thank you Julie. I need to find this recipe soon!!! I just think it would be totally delicious.

chris, here is the thread where Rose identifies the cake as the deep chocolate passion wedding cake with dark ganache: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2011/04/video_portrait_of_rose_by_ben.html

The cake is from the book Rose's Heavenly Cakes.

Enjoy!

Is the Deep chocolate passion cake the cake pictured in the video where Ms. Rose is eating a piece of chocolate cake? I need to get the right book. Thank you

Thank you so much for the email, Woody... I have replied with pix of my latest attempt baked on the lower third oven rack position.

Hi Daphne,
It looks like you are following the recipe correctly, especially with your weighing each ingredient. The texture is chiffon like, spongy-but not airy. I originally used the Magicstrips. I am assuming you are minimizing checking for doneness and immediately removing the cakes from their pans. With all my testing I have always had sides of 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 and centers of 1-3/8 to 1-1/2, whether flour sprayed or non sprayed sides.

Please try baking just one cake with the rack on the lower third of the oven position to see if you get the results you are seeking. To speed up this test, I would use room temp water instead of boiling water for making the initial cocoa mixture. You will only sacrifice some of the chocolaty taste.

Your oven maybe the culprit here. For a few months, I had to use my parent's ovens when I was moving in between jobs. Their two small stacked (could not even fit in a 18" x 12" pan) ovens would not accommodate two 9" pans on the same rack and even with baking individual layers, I only had at best satisfactory results.

Thank you very much Rose. I've been baking this recipe (1 layer at a time) practically every day for the last few days... My fridge is full of chocolate cake layers and I've been sending them around to others too... a lot of test cakes for the upcoming birthday cake! I've adjusted my oven temp which I think was contributing to the cakes not rising in the first place, but I'm not managing to achieve the full 1-1/2" layer height. I weighed every ingredient, for flour I'm using Gold Medal bleached all-purpose and SoftasSilk cake flour, and am using 9" Magic Line pans, and while waiting for my Heavenly Cake Strips to arrive, I'm using the conventional Magicake strips. On the outside I am getting 1-1/8" and in the middle it's 1-1/4". The cake tastes exceptional, and texture is soft, but definitely not what I'd call airy. While I suppose it's an acceptable result, I'm just not convinced I'm achieving the proper texture you intended... or am I just being anal?

daphne, a sponge type cake (which this is) cannot sit even refrigerated bf baking. but middle rack should be fine.

Rose - my oven won't accommodate two 9" pans on one rack, and I have to bake these cakes staggered. Would baking one of the layers on the middle rack instead of in the lower third of the oven make any difference - e.g. could it for any reason result in the cake not rising to full height? Anyway my real question is, if baking one pan at a time, can I leave one pan with half the batter refrigerated, will this be detrimental to the batter, or would I be better off making and baking half the recipe at a time? I posted my problem in the forum under "Problems with German Chocolate/Chiffon Cake" in the Cake Questions section, but Bill suggested I post here to make sure you see it and can provide any insight.

yes matthew and i am running a bit short on the 9 inch ones!

In the photo of the ice cream cake, is that one of the embossed gold cardboard rounds you talk about in the cake bible? I was just reading that section. You really do have a lifetime supply!

Well thanks for the info... I have to tell you, when I gave this cake last night, the birthday boy's eyes got huge at first bite as he exclaimed (with a few reinforcing expletives) how this was the BEST cake he had ever had in all of his 26 years of birthday cakes. SO THANK YOU!

trish--you can see how the sides pull in when you don't spray. these photos were not to show that you SHOULD coat the sides, just the show what happens when you do vs when you don't. the choice is yours. i prefer not coating to have straight sides!

I hope I didn't sound overly critical... I absolutely treasure your book and this recipe produces the best German Chocolate Cake out there, even if the sides are a little crumbly this time.. you live and you learn!!!

DARN... I wish I had seen this a few hours ago! It is interesting because in her book, Rose's Heavenly Cakes, she specifically says, "Leave the sides uncoated (ungreased) to prevent the tops of the cakes from shrinking inward." However, leaving the sides ungreased do indeed result in a rough crumb :( I am sure it will not affect the taste of the cake, but a pretty presentation is always nice, especially since this is a birthday cake. Rose, you let me down on this one!!!

I agree with you Sherrie, this cake is awesome!

Wow Ceci (or Hector) -- that's stunning photography and cake design :)
I used the German Chocolate Cake base for a wedding cake http://forheavenlycakessake.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-of-wedding-cake.html
I recently made -- it's fantastic - no levelling required -- it tastes awesome! Also, I had a 9" and 6" that did not bake so nice (unlevel rack in oven) that hit the freezer -- I recently tried some straight out of the freezer and it's amazing -- I am definitely going to use it for an ice cream cake -- it stays soft and moist even without the syrup. This cake is superbly versatile, light enough to pair with whipped cream, but strong enough in flavour for a ganache.

wao, this cake looks great and delicious!!
Im so proud of you ceci, you are really making awesomes delights!!

ב''ה

I thought you might find this article on "Why Particles Disperse on Liquids" interesting (in a baking-science kind of way....)

The German Chocolate Cake is gorgeous and I can't wait for its turn on Heavenly Cake Bakers. The most amazing thing about Rose's Heavenly Cakes is that an absolutely unskilled, novice baker, such as myself, can have amazing success with these show stopping cakes, mistakes and all. People are beginning to think I'm some sort of baking genius.

this extra info is VALUABLE!!!!!!!!!!! i was just going to try using baker's joy for this cake and feared collapsing. also, i can SEE from your picture that the pan DOES NOT rise to the top, meaning the baked height isn't 2-inches on a 2-inch pan, but more like 1/4 inch lower!

omg, i love the cooling rack markings for the ice cream sandwich cake.

this cake is versatile and well tested, like everyone on marie's bake along has been successful. my friend ceci from colombia, too:

happy baking everyone.