Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

December 1, THE BLOG WILL HAVE A NEW HOME AND DESIGN ON SQUARESPACE!

Luca's Gâteau Breton

Jan 20, 2010 | From the kitchen of Rose

Luca Rizzi, Hector Wong's friend, used this unusual fluted tube pan from Paderno with a recess to make the Gâteau Breton.

He filled the recess with a tart grape jam and said it reminded him of a crostada. Great idea! It looks attractive even without the jam as the design from the bottom of the pan imprints itself on the cake.

Luca Gâteau Breton.jpg

Comments

Randy, with 30 yrs of bread baking, you should be able to read a recipe and "know" whether or not it will work. So why do you keep "trying" them??

Randy, it appears that you may still have something to learn about bread making, as well as about manners.

I make the Bread Bible pizza dough once a week, every week, for my family.

I have also made the Foccacia multiple times, and have never had a failure with it, it is the best texture in Foccacia I have ever had the pleasure to eat.

If you were to consider posting specific problems to the forums or to this blog, I'm sure you would find kind, generous help in problem-solving.

Randy, I have to echo Woody's gracious reply to you that it is a shame you posted a nasty note here and on Amazon instead of taking the somewhat rare opportunity of being able to ask questions of the author or the other members of this baking community for help with your technique. Despite what you might think from your "30 years of baking," it sounds like you still have something to learn about bread baking because several people have made these recipes successfully and posted about them here.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Randy
01/31/2010 11:42 PM

Randy,
We are sorry to read that you have not had success in baking any of the breads from Rose's Bread Bible. You may have checked her forums and postings where others have had success, including Marie Wolf and her Breadbasketcase blog site (link is on the home page) where she made every bread in the book and wrote about her results.
May I ask, have you had success with other bread baking books?
Do you own any of Rose's other books and have had success baking from them?
If you like, you may want to post what has not worked for you on the forums where the community can give advice.
On one of my trips to see Rose, I was able to assist Rose in making two of the recipes you mentioned and enjoyed eating them. Even though they were for our enjoyment, she still got out her notebook and rulers to check their numbers against her book and notes.

I have attempted to make several breads from this book. ALL Have failed. The Foccacia failed, the Cibatta failed the pizza dough failed. The worst bread book ever, Thank GOD it wa a gift cause i'd be pissed if i paid maoney for this book. I've been making bread for 30 year, but every attempt from the Bread Bible fails.

Uncle Luca, awesome cake!

Luca, that looks amazing!

What a lovely pan. Great job Luca.

Ooops, meant to say cake rather than almond, too bad there isn't an edit function!

Nice take on the Gateau Breton, Luca! I'll bet it would be good with cherries, or peaches too.

I've tried this almond several different ways, I loved it as a baby cake, posted on the second page of this forum post: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1817/P15/

In your first book you give the rose factors for round cake pans, how would they apply to a 10" square pan or square pans in general? By the way, the rose factor is a BEAUTIFUL TOOL! Thanks.
Rosa