Out-Cakes from Rose's Heavenly Cakes: Buttercream Process Shots

Mixture Curdling More

276%20C4%20full%20curdled%20mixture.jpg

After Further Beating Buttercream Almost Completely Smooth

276%20C5%20mixture%20starting%20to%20smooth%20out.jpg

Perfectly Smooth Mousseline Buttercream

276%20C6%20finished%20buttercream.jpg

Comments

Thanks Rose! It was perfect. I flavoured it with Strawberry Puree.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Silver
10/22/2010 09:57 AM

silver, in my new book (rose's heavenly cakes) as you can see above i add the whites to the butter and not the butter to the whites. also on page 147 for the vanilla mousseline i use no liqueur but use ony 6.5 ounces of butter instead of 8 ounces (for 2-1/2 egg whites) and for flavor 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. you can also flavor it with lemon curd or any of the other suggestions in either book!

I am frosting a cake using your mousseline buttercream recipe. Can I omit or substitute the liqueur in the recipe with something else? It's for a child's birthday party.

Neva, if you can pick up a copy of The Cake Bible, it has mousseline as well as all the information you need to bake and stack wedding cakes. Good luck!

NEVA SWARTOUT
NEVA SWARTOUT
04/15/2010 05:52 PM

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EMAIL ME THE RECIPE FOR MOUSSELINE BUTTERCREAM ICING? OR ANY OTHER RECIPES FOR BUTTERCREAM. I AM MAKING MY FIRS 3 TIERED WEDDING CAKE FOR A MAY WEDDING. THANKS

Thanks Hector. I just bought some Kirkland unsalted butter yesterday. Can't wait to try it in my next batch of buttercream this weekend.

S, as a matter of fact, I use Costco's Kirkland Signature brand uns butter. Didn't know any better till I met my hawaiian cows! I continue to use Cotsco's for mousseline because it performs for me and I have over 20 flavors developed with this mousseline. If I make a buttercream where I want a higher taste of butter, then I will look for my hawaiian cows, the same for any butter rich or butter centered cake like my great experience with Gateau Breton.

I like Rose's new method of mousseline, it is easier to teach and understand, now that thermometers are readilly available. But be aware often I meassure temperatures a few degrees cooler because in my hot weather a few minutes out of the fridge or wine cellar can be a fast rise of temps. But for the new methods of mousseline, if too cold, then the butter will turn into small pieces, not smooth, so often I blow torch my mizer bowl at this stage. Happy baking.

Wow! Hector, your mousseline is dreamy and divinely smooth and creamy. What is the butter fat of the butter you use? I assume you use a local "natural" butter that may be hard to find in the continental states. I use similar technique of adding cool butter to warm meringue. I also whip thawed frozen egg whites for a better meringue. Any other suggestions you could add to get that smooth texture would be great.

Felix Ferra
Felix Ferra
01/09/2010 01:12 AM

Following the Cake Bible instructions, I add the butter into the meringue, not the opposite. Could anyone tell if there is a significant difference?

There is nothing better than buttercream. :-)

What a teriffic "outcake"! Never again will I feel like I'm doing something wrong when my mousseline curdles. Thanks so much, Rose and Woody.

Heavenly Buttercream! Oh I love that "stuff"! :)

thx for reporting Woody. my usual room temps are in the mid 80s, and i add 65oF butter to my 100oF meringue and surround my mixer bowl with ice packs.

my finished mousseline consistency is dreamy perfect and i obviously get very smooth cakes in my 80s kitchen. when i work on my 70s or 60s kitchen, it is a total different story, and i can tell the mousseline has a coarser consistency which i dislike.

Hector,
The room temperature of the condo was in the low 70sF.
I used Plugra high fat butter (per instructions from Rose). I made Rose-ally sure that the whipped butter and the meringue were both at 68-69 F. As far as the color, that could be from the overhead counter lighting or from the diet of the cows. The last process shot was taken immediately after I finished off the beating by hand whisking with the KitchenAid's whisk attachment. If I do not add any additional flavoring, I use a silicone spatula to fold and mix it a bit before spreading it on the cake.

Too funny, Rose! The very first thing I noticed was the too masculine-looking thumb. I so love your blog and
"out cakes" was a stroke of genius!!

What was the room temperature? My curdling stage is a lot more soupy and my finished mousseline a lot smoother.

also not as yellow! Could it be the butter fat content?

here it is, the color is pretty accurate, these pictures while adding the liqueur

It just makes me want to put my whole face in the bowl and mousseline and eat to the bottom. It is my favorite butter cream of all I've tried!

by the way, if you're wondering what happened to my delicate little fingers! this demo is compliments of woody wolston!