The Complete Bread Bible, Including Variations

Aug 14, 2010 | From the kitchen of Rose

Matthew Boyer has given us an invaluable gift. He has baked his way through the Bread Bible and offered this detailed summary and photos of brilliantly executed breads. You can now see, all in one posting, what each and every bread looks like! I had no idea he was doing this until he sent this e-mail and I was overcome with joy! (Note: Marie Wolf, on her blog also worked her way through this book with terrific step-by-step photos and her engagingly humorous and instructive commentary! These are the books behind the book and they tell the whole story. Here's Matthew's description of what he has done:

Dear Rose,

I began baking my way through the Bread Bible in the spring of 2007 with virtually no prior bread baking experience. I made all of the breads by hand mixing and kneading (though I did use a hand mixer for some of the batter breads). The infamous rosemary focaccia was my only insurmountable hand-kneading challenge, but I was able to work up to 100% hydration, short of the 113.5% hydration in the recipe.

This project has been a wonderful--and delicious--way to learn about the craft of bread baking. The Bread Bible covers such a wide array of breads and techniques, that over the past 3 years, I feel as though I've had the privilege of attending a baking master class each week. Now, onto the Pie and Pastry Bible!

Matthew Boyer

BreadBibleComplete.jpg

breadbible_2a.jpg

Chapter 2A
Cinnamon Crumb Surprise, Cranberry-Banana-Walnut Quick Bread, Carrot Bread, Zucchini Bread (Variation), Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Bread with Coffee Syrup (V), Southwestern Corn Spoon Bread, Quintessential Corn Muffins, Blue Cornmeal Muffins (V), Corn Fingers, Blueberry Muffins, Big Banana Walnut Muffins, Banana Chocolate Swirl Muffins (V), Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (V), Banana Poppy Seed Loaf (V), Butter Biscuits

breadbible_2b.jpg

Chapter 2B
Ginger Biscuits (V), Touch-of-Grace Biscuits, Angel Light Biscuits, Sweet Potato Biscuits, Flaky Currant Scones, Dried Cranberry Scones (V), Lemon Poppy Seed Scones (V), Rich and Creamy Ginger Scones, Stollen Christmas Scones (V), Royal Irish Soda Bread, Royal Irish Soda Rolls (V), Levy's Bagels

breadbible_2c.jpg

Chapter 2C
Bialys with Onion Poppy Seed Filling, Flat and Crisp Bialys (V), English Muffins, Pretzel Bread, Crumpets, Butter Popovers, Rosemary Romano Popovers (V for Yorkshire Popovers), Dutch Baby with Apple Filling, Baby Dutch Baby (V)

breadbible_3a.jpg

Chapter 3A
Perfect Pizza Dough: Pizza Margherita, Oven-Dried Cherry Tomatoes with Ricotta (V), Arugula Pizza Bianca (V), Mushroom Pizza Bianca/White Pizza (V), Red and Gold Bell Pepper, Onion, and Gorgonzola Dolce (V), Alsatian Onion Pizza (V), Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza (V for Grilled Pizza Margherita with Steamed Clams), Potato Flatbread Pizza with Mushroom and Onion Topping, Dinner Rolls (V)

breadbible_3b.jpg

Chapter 3B
Rosemary Focaccia Sheet, Focaccia with Pockets of Garlic (V), Focaccia Layered with Fresh Herbs, Grilled Focaccia, Sicilian Vegetable Pizza Roll, Pita Bread, Whole Wheat Pita Bread (V), Mediterranean Matzoh, Paratha with Yemenite Green Sauce

breadbible_4a.jpg

Chapter 4A
Basic Soft White Sandwich Loaf, Butter-Dipped Dinner Rolls, Little Round and Parker House Rolls (V), Cloverleaf Rolls (V), Rosy Red Bread (V), Lagniappe: Little "Oyster" Mushroom Loaves (V), Pullman Loaf Sandwich Bread (Pain de Mie), Cinnamon Raisin Loaf, Herb Spiral Loaf (V)

breadbible_4b.jpg Chapter 4B

Potato Sandwich Loaf, Purple Potato Bread (V), Banana Feather Loaf, Sweet Potato Loaf, Cheddar Loaf, Ricotta Loaf, Cracked Wheat Loaf, Buckwheat Loaf (V), Flaxseed Loaf

breadbible_5a.jpg

Chapter 5A
Basic Hearth Bread, Velvety Buckwheat Bread (V), Hearth Bread Sandwich Loaf (V), Slightly Sour Artisan Loaf (V), Heart of Wheat Bread, Sacaduros, Potato Buttermilk Bread, Potato Dill Bread (V), Tangy Cornbread (V), "Levy's" Real Jewish Rye Bread, Authentic Pumpernickel Bread, Raisin Pumpernickel (V), Denser Pumpernickel with Altus Brat (V), Baguette, Baguettes au Chocolat (V)

breadbible_5b.jpg

Chapter 5B
Spicy Herbed Bread Sticks, Brinna's Pugliese, Tuscan Low-Salt Bread, Ciabatta, Oval Cloud Rolls (V), Pugliese, Golden Semolina Torpedo, Sundried Tomato Ring (V for Prosciutto Ring), Beer Bread, Mantovana Olive Oil Bread, Olive Bread, Puttanesca Bread (V)

breadbible_5c.jpg

Chapter 5C
Mushroom Bread, Tyrolean Ten-Grain Torpedo, Café Beaujolais Austrian Sunflower Bread (V), Swedish Limpa Bread, Raisin Pecan Bread, Cranberry Walnut Bread (V), New Zealand Almond and Fig Bread, Walnut Fougasse, Walnut Onion Bread

breadbible_6a.jpg

Chapter 6A
Basic Sourdough Bread, Sourdough with Extra Flavor (V), Quicker French Country Boule (V), Sourdough Rye, Sourdough Pumpernickel, Quicker Sourdough Raisin Pumpernickel (V), Sourdough Wheat Bread with Seeds, Low-Risk Sourdough Bread, French Country Sourdough Boule

breadbible_7a.jpg

Chapter 7A
Basic Brioche, Sweet Potato Brioche Loaf (V), Black Pepper Giant Brioche (V), Dairy Dinner Challah with Browned Butter (V), Sticky Caramel Buns, Maple Bungee Buns (V), Chocolate Sticky Buns, Monkey Bread, Panettone, Traditional Challah, Chocolate Almond Swirl Kugelhopf, Poppy Seed Kugelhopf (V), Stud Muffin, Wheaten Croissants, Chocolate-Filled Croissants (V)

Comments

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Janet
12/ 6/2013 12:30 AM

Hi Janet,
To provide the wealth of information in "The Bread Bible" choices had to be made by the publisher which included limiting the number of photographs of the finished breads. Fortunately, you can visit both Mathew Boyer's blog site and Marie Wolf's blog site " bread basket case" where along with the portrayed finished recipe you will see many step-by-step photos along with wonderful commentary.
We were so pleased with the publisher for "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" making Rose's dream come true of a 4-color book with nearly a full page photo for each recipe. The upcoming "The Baking Bible" will have photos for nearly every recipe as well.
Rose & Woody

If the bible had each of your pics with the recipe it would be so much more helpful and inspiring. Makes me drool!!!

Brenda, any bookstore should have it. Also on amazon. Click on the link on the top of this page.

brenda crawford
brenda crawford
02/11/2013 05:09 PM

where to purchase the bread bible cookbook

WOW! This is inspiring! I picked up my copy of this book yesterday, and I cannot wait to get moving! Thanks!!

Thanks again everyone! So happy to hear this post is inspiring a lot of people to take up bread baking!

Wonderful layout of your breads, I plan to try quite a lot of them as I am an avid bread maker. Thank you

What an absolutely gorgeous collection of pictures. How inspiring! And what a wonderful tribute to Rose's books. Congratulations on your achievement.

OMG! What an incredible accomplishment! Thanks to Butter Yum I didn't miss seeing your post above.

Matthew...if it weren't for Patricia at 'ButterYum'...I would have completely missed out on your incredible accomplishement.

I've never made bread before...however...how could I not start taking this more seriously...especially with how dedicated you were with Rose's Bread Bible. I guess...this will be a great place to start. I'm going out to get this book. You are a publisher's dream come through!

Thanks for inspiring me so much ;o)

Get that blog started already! Count me in as your fan.

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Thanks Sherrie, I'm very happy to hear this will be a useful resource for you! Sharon, I hope you do get the book--it is a wonderful introduction to bread baking, I can't think of a better one you could get.

Carey, Rose has posted some recipes from the Bread Bible here on the blog:

There is also a primer available on Epicurious:

Thank you so much Matthew..you will have no idea how MUCH this boosts our self confidence in the kitchen, esp for beginners,just starting out to bake bread.

This is just incredible!I am so inpired to buy the book,I really want to start baking bread at home too!

I am in awe, Matthew! What an amazing collection! TBB was what opened my world to Rose's world and here you've catalogued that entire work. Bread requires so much more patience than cake...that alone makes this even more remarkable. Thank you for this awesome gift. Now I can look up the next loaf I'll bake!

Calendar! That's an excellent idea!

Thank you everyone for the wonderful responses and comments! I've been doing a major move this week, so I didn't have time to respond immediately.

To follow up on one comment, I really did have very little bread baking experience before starting this project. I had baked one loaf of french bread, one scratch pizza, dinner rolls, and a small assortment of quick breads, such as cornbread, biscuits, and banana bread.

I'm so happy to read that this post has inspired some of you to either get a copy of the book or return and try a new recipe.

Absolutely breath-taking, an eye candy gastronomical delicious trip. What about a calendar?? Maybe with a recipe or two to boot?
I'd certainly buy it and take a year or two to bake my way through :)
Carey

Wowwww, this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Felicitaciones Mathew!!!!!

You seriously need to get a blog and share it with the world!

Bravo!

***GASP***
I cannot believe it - WOW!!!!!!!

Matthew, these are nothing short of stunning - pure perfection. I'm completely flabbergasted. Not because I'm amazed at your talent (I've been a Matthew fan for years!), but because of the sheer beauty and determination you put into this huge undertaking.

It's really breathtaking. I'd frame this as an art piece!

Bravo my friend,
Patricia

My goodnes...I'm speachless. Absolutely took my breath away. Each picture is perfect!

Matthew, this is beautiful!! Your photography and baking skills are both just beyond superlatives. Thank you so much for sharing with us all. Now how about a picture of yourself?

Matthew- I think Hector said it best. "I am on the floor beneath the floor!" Incredible!!

All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!
My eyes were wide open
WooooooooooooooW
Not to mention the presentation of each bread
Glorious as they say!!!

Truly a masterpiece of incredible bread baking! This is invaluable to all of us. Thank you!

Darlene Martin
Darlene Martin
08/16/2010 12:22 PM

Matthew,
A wonderful tribute and a beautiful labor of love.
A gift for us all.

How beautiful! What an amazing feat, and what an incredible accomplishment!

Matthew, you are a wonder, and Rose, if you ever needed further hard evidence of how you inspire people...

...well, this -- dare I say it? -- might even take the cake!!!

great job matthew! I have the bread bible too but keep repeating and baking the same few breads. With your success, I will now move on to other recipes in the book too!

Wow, this is absolutely amazing. I have been reading "The Bread Bible" for the last couple weeks trying to get ready to start another attempt at bread! I tried it first a couple years ago and became too busy with work and school. After I get my new scale in the mail, I want to try again with the sourdough starter. These photos give me the inspiration I need and make me feel like if he started out knowing virtually nothing about bread, then I can do it, too! Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos. How cool!

Absolutely stunning pictures, Matthew!!! Congratulations on completing such a huge project and thank you for sharing your work.

Congratulations Matthew!! Beautiful breads and terrific photos! Kudos for dediction and a job well done!

Matthew
what dedication and discipline and commitment it took to do EVERY SINGLE recipe in the book.

I congratulate you on your whole-hearted effort. It must have felt wonderful to realize that you were actually going to succeed in completing this project.

I stand and applaud you. Well done!

Matthew just sold another book for you when I saw "Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Bread with Coffee Syrup".

Eric Hanner
Eric Hanner
08/15/2010 02:19 PM

Wonderful work Matthew ! You certainly did a very nice job of making each bread as perfect as the one before. I had looked at the underlying book on a number of occasions but not purchased it. Now that I have seen how well you did with it, I think I'll add it to the bookshelf collection of bread books.

Wow - this is truly amazing and awe-inspiring, Matthew. The poster idea is a fantastic one, by the way - to inspire and motivate us novice bakers to bake great things. Well done, Matthew!

Those are great pictures of your beautiful bread creations, Matthew. It makes me want to bake bread for the next three years.

Great job!

Matthew, I am utterly speechless. No words can describe how amazing those photos are. Each creation look so perfect!!

Awesome!!!! Wonderful pics - I'm so so impressed.
Well done Matthew!

Glorious, Matthew! What a treasure for Rose, and for us all.

Wow. This is AH-MAY-ZING! I'm so very glad for these pictures! These will help A LOT. Thank you so much, Matthew!!!!!!!!!

Utterly fantastic! Matthew, please consider leading a Pie and Pastry Bible baker along. It is so confidence inspiring to bake as a group. Your photos are amazing.

Matthew, I am on the floor! On the floor beneath my floor. Your contribution is priceless. We need to somehow include your pictures on the book!

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Zach Townsend
08/14/2010 11:15 AM

zach--what a great idea--a poster--yes! oh hector???!!!

WOW! That is quite an accomplishment. I have made the apple crumb loaf several times. We love it. I've even given it as a gift. Thank you for sharing these pictures. They are great to see.

Jeannette Mara
Jeannette Mara
08/14/2010 10:28 AM

Just looking again, and I must compliment you on your pictures and presentation also.

Incredible! What a true testament to the contents of the book. Seeing them all together makes a huge impression about just how comprehensive the book is and what beginning bread bakers can achieve with it.

Someone should make a poster-sized version of the thumb photos. Would look beautiful hanging up.

Congrats Matthew on such a feat!

Zach

Jeannette Mara
Jeannette Mara
08/14/2010 09:54 AM

Sorry, I didn't put my name on my comment, it usually comes on automatically but for some reason it didn't this time!

what a fantastic achievement! Bravo Matthew!