For a great tutorial, check out the Baking Bible Bake Along with ROSE'S ALPHA BAKERS. The link is on the left side of the blog. We will also be posting "OUT-BAKES" from the book, on this blog, including step-by step photos and other extras.

Corrections: Rose's Heavenly Cakes

Oct 25, 2010 | From the kitchen of Rose

p. 96 Chocolate Banana Stud Cake, ...set an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350˚F/175˚C.

p. 124 The Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting, powdered sugar variation: the powdered sugar should be 3 cups/12 ounces/345 grams.

p. 328 Baby Lemon Cheesecakes, ...set an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350˚F/175˚C.

Thanks to the Heavenly Bakers of the Heavenly Cake Bake Along, most of whom had trouble unmolding the caramel atop the Caramelized Pineapple Pudding Cakes, we have retested the recipe and have come up with some tweaks to make the unmolding much more reliable and effective. Changes are in bold.

Caramelized Pineapple Pudding Cakes

p. 342 Plan Ahead: The pudding cakes must be baked 6 up to 12 hours ahead

p. 344 Make the Caramel: ...allow it to boil undisturbed until it turns a deep amber...350˚F/175˚C.

p. 345 Bake the Brioche Pudding: Remove the puddings from the water bath. Let them cool on wire racks and refrigerate them for 6 up to 12 hours.

Unmold the Brioche Puddings: ...invert the puddings onto serving plates. Allow them to sit for 10 minutes before lifting off the molds.

Comments

thank you sophia for pointing out this error. the amount you listed is correct and i will add it to the errata.

I'm planning to make the Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting, powdered sugar variation and noticed that the amount of powdered sugar given to replace the white chocolate is the same in the recipe on page 124 as it is in the recipe on page 85 though the former makes 3x the amount of the latter. Am I correct in assuming that the quantity for the batch size on page 124 should be 345g/3 cups/12oz?
I apologize if this has already been addressed in the blog or forum but I couldn't find an answer.

Regards,
Sophia

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Anonymous
02/19/2013 11:43 PM

Hi Anonymous,
We are glad you checked the Heavenly Bakers as mine looks more like theirs. The cakes in Rose's Heavenly Cakes were made by a trained stylist. The buttercream was denser and lighting produced a darker and denser looking shot. We revised the recipe after the styling and photography to whip it more to produce a lighter in color and more airy buttercream.
Rose & Woody

I am curious, I just made Woody's Luscious Lemon cake & it was delicious. My cake looked a lot like the ones in the heavenly bakers blog - but nothing like the cake illustrated in the book.

In the book, it says to make attractive swirls in the buttercream and then after the cake has chilled in for an hour to swirl more lemon curd into the butter cream. I could not get the smooth dark yellow glossiness of the photo by swirling in the curd, it looked kind of messy & curdled.

In an interview with Woody in the Star Tribune, the lemon curd step is missing, but the picture is the same smooth, glossy dark yellow frosting. Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks!

Sherrie, it is a fabulous cake and i totally love it. unfortunately, i can't tell you first hand what is the finished height of the baked layers because when i made this cake for myself, i used a different cake recipe.

but you can see it from the bake along group here: http://heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/2010/08/last-cake-next-cake.html

it appears to me, that indeed 1-inch is correct.

I am making the Lemon Meringue Cake and noticed, when dividing the batter between pans, that the amount listed is 585 g -- I managed about 285-290g per pan. The biscuit did not rise more than 1/2 way up the pan during baking. I hope I'm using the correct amount of batter. I tend to have issues with sponge cakes so any clarification would be appreciated.

Nora, buenos dias! non alkalized cocoa is more acidic. it won't have a lot of effect on baking, except for flavor. it really is a matter of personal taste. use it and if it tastes well for you, then you are set. cocoas, alcalized or not, taste very different from brand to brand. we are not saying that alkalized is better than non alkalized, it is just a matter of personal taste.

you can try adding a little baking soda to neutralize the acidity, but do so only if you think your cake is too sour tasting! which i doubt most people could tell. be aware that baking soda has leavening effects.

I have a pastry shop and bakery n Bogotá ,Colombia and have learned a lot from your books. We cannot get alkalized cocoa, how do I have to change the recipes if I se regular cocoa? I guess it has to do with changing the ph but I am not sure how.

Nora

I just baked the Whipped Cream Cake on page 29 Rose´s Heavenly Cakes and did something (which I don´t know) that when I started to mix the eggs with the already beaten cream it started to liquify and never got the mayonaise consistency. The taste of the cake was great but it did not turned out as expected. Please any comments on what may I have done wrong. Thanks from Puerto Rico. Belmari

vicki, thank you for this most generous and forgiving remark!

I have to say, that was one of the most fun baking experiences I've had with the HCB so far! I learned more about the chemistry involved with sugar, never realizing it's such finicky stuff. Plus it makes me want to learn to pull taffy! It's definitely a great dessert.

I'm just so glad that it was the recipe and not me.. I pulled my hair out on this one (ok, I did on the apple charlotte to - but I was expecting that one to give me a hard time).

And since my future son-in-law is pineapple crazy, regardless of all the trouble, it has already been requested as a birthday cake... so I was already dreading it, now not so much :)

jenn, exactly so! i borrowed that technique from the crème caramel from my "rose's melting pot"!

Rose,
Thank you for retesting the recipe and posting so quickly.
So by refrigerating it 6-8 hours, is it to wait for the moisture from the pudding to soften the hardened caramel?

no wonder! (i should have figured that out)

ב''ה

LoL! Thankfully, I only have to use the toaster for dairy cakes. Since the angel food cake is parve I was able to make it in the regular oven.

thank you guys! next time i'll be giving recipes to heavenly bakers BEFORE they go into print! this recipe is complex but mendy put it perfectly--it IS ethereal and this is one time that extra sweetness seems necessary.

hector, that's how i unmold my flans and also chocolate cakes in fluted tube pans that can be problematic. letting things sit inverted causes them to steam a bit and release better.

mendy, re this weeks bake through, your angel food cake in the toaster oven is amazing. it must be quite a large toaster oven and very even!

rachelino, congratulations on your new location and business! sounds really impressive.

ב''ה

Awesome! Thank you Rose!

I am going to print this out and keep it in the book. These pudding cakes were ethereal. I am so glad to know how get the caramel out!

this is EXACTLY what i do prior unmolding my flan!

This is why we love you Rose! Thank you for going to this trouble to ensure the baker has a good experience.