See Tour Dates

The time for the CIA demo and book signing on Monday, December 8 has been changed to 11:00 am. It is open to the public.

A Layer Cake Slicing Kit

Nov 4, 2010 | From the kitchen of Rose

Finally: a solution to creating those-multi layer cakes so many people adore.

Zenker layer cake slicing kit, imported from Germany, works very well for slicing even as thin as 1/4 -inch cake layers without the hassle of using different height cutting bars or stacking cake rounds in a cake pan to use its rim as a slicing guide. With the Zenker, you simply place its slicing ring (Zenker refers to it as a mold) around your cake and choose what slot height you want to make your slice.

Woody and I tested the Zenker with an angel food, lemon chiffon, and a red velvet butter cake. The following pictures will show how easy the slicing ring, with the included serrated knife and cake lifter, works for slicing most types of cakes. The rigid, 12 inch long serrated knife allows you to cut any size cake up to 10-1/2 inches round. (See below for special instructions Woody worked out for cutting larger 12-inch cakes.)

3C1-red-velvet-being-sliced.jpg

STARTING TO SLICE THE RED VELVET

3C2-repositioning-the-ring.jpg

REPOSITIONING THE RING

3C3-slicing-thru-to-the-other-side.jpg

SLICING THROUGH THE ENTIRE LAYER

3C4-cake-lifter-and-cake-slices.jpg

LIFTING THE SLICED LAYER WITH THE CAKE LIFTER

3B1-slicing-a-chiffon-cake.jpg

SLICING A CHIFFON CAKE

The slicing ring is 3-1/2 inches tall allowing you to slice taller cakes like chiffons up to 8 layers.

The slicing ring has two slots for accommodating 11 inch or 10 inch cakes and can be used for smaller cakes as well. (Metric measurements are also engraved on the ring.)

Larger 12 inch wedding cake size layers can be done by wrapping the slicing ring around an inverted 12 inch cake pan, although the ring has to be moved around the pan to a couple of locations for slicing the layer.

For removing a cake's domed top or slicing a layer that is not quite at the desired height, one can place a cake round under the cake to lift it to the right height for making the slice.

The Zenker's slicing ring, knife, and lifter are all stainless steel for durability and are dishwasher safe. It is available on the web or you can do a google search to locate retailers. For further information contact www.frieling.com

Comments

Judy persigo
Judy persigo
06/22/2014 05:50 PM

How can I buy the cake slicing kit and how much

You can find it at Golda's Kitchen in 1 dram bottles

What supermarket did you find it in? How much was it there, if you don't mind my asking. I think it's a great idea, just a bit expensive from what I've found.

Thanks,
Gina

i found it in the frozen food section of my supermarket.

I plan to make the Glazed Strawberry Pie from the Pie and Pastry Bible for Thanksgiving. The glaze calls for cran/raspberry concentrate. What is that and where is it sold? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I found this product on the internet recently and wondered how it worked. I'm so glad to see it reviewed here.

Thanks for the detailed review, Rose! I saw it in the Kitchen Krafts newsletter and was intrigued. But I don't tort cakes often enough to justify the purchase... at least not for now. It looks so much better than the Wilton wire thingy Bill described - and which is what I currently use (when I'm not being lazy and simply eye-balling it)!

What an awesome product and thanks as always to you and Woody for detailed testing. This looks like a great tool.

Whenever I'm slicing through a cake (without the aid of a guide), I always make sure they're chilled, the knife stays parallel to the counter, I score the cake all the way around first and use it as a guide, I take my time, and most importantly I wear a cut-resistant glove on the hand that isn't holding the knife.

Rose:
This product looks fantastic. I will definitely make room in my mini-kitchen for this. I have a Wilton contraption with a wire for cutting cakes...and although it works OK on butter cakes...it's a disaster on a sponge-type cake (at least in my hands). I've gotten reasonably adept at splitting cakes by eye with this long knife my mom bought from TV...It's really not a good knife, but works great for this purpose. I never get them really level and even. I can't wait to get this!
Amazing!