Fresh From The Forums

Rose's forums are the best place to get answers from the smartest baking community online.

See Tour Dates

The time for the CIA demo and book signing on Monday, December 8 has been changed to 11:00 am. It is open to the public.

Video Portrait of Rose by Ben Fink

Apr 25, 2011 | From the kitchen of Rose

I've long imagined it would be lovely to have a portrait in painting, but never dreamed I'd someday have a live one instead!

Artist/photographer Ben Fink captured the essence of my cakes in Rose's Heavenly Cakes, but he felt that to capture me as a whole person the best way would be in motion. So he created this treasure of a video portrait which magically manages to capture my very soul.

Ben has the rare ability to trigger all the viewers' senses, creating the impression that they are right there gaining an intimate knowledge of the person and the process.

Comments

Hi Linda,
Good luck with your interview. Rose had her own PBS television show "Baking Magic" for a season of episodes. She has frequently been a guest on several shows from Charley Rose to Dee Dee Wilson. You can see her videos, television episodes, and television appearances on YouTube.
You can see a listing of all of Rose's over videos on YouTube by doing a search for "Rose Levy Beranbaum You Tube" which will show a home page for Rose's videos. You can click "Video " on the menu bar to see icons with a photo from each video and its title. There over 150 videos.
The amazing thing about Ben Fink's video portrait of Rose, was that it was Ben's first professional video, although he has been a major photographer in the industry for decades.
We suggest you look at Rose's Bio by clicking on About on the menu bar. She has written for several publications.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Bhavna
06/21/2014 09:47 PM

Hi Bhavna,
The charts in the Wedding & Special Occasions chapter are designed for multiplying any of the base formula recipes to what ever size pan you are making. They are a guide for taking another recipe in a given size pan and you doing the math calculations to convert the recipe to other pan sizes.
If you have Rose's Heavenly Cakes, we give the volume size of standard 2 inch high pans in the equipment section. You use the volumes to find the percentage of increase or decrease you need to make to convert a recipe.
As we have found, you will likely need to tweak a converted recipe with multiple tests to find the results you prefer.

Linda Stranman
Linda Stranman
06/21/2014 11:05 AM

Rose,

In preparation for an postion interview w/ Jan Kish , I discovered your web site . I loved your video and wanted to comment how much you remind me of the culinary program ,"French Cooking at Home" w/ Laura Calder as host. I have spent a life time in the baking world and def will purchase your book. I too appreciate the use of superior paper .... Just curious if you have ever been approached to do a network culinary show?

I am delighted to have become acquainted with your career .I would be interested in any other publications that you have been associated with.

Sincere Regards,

Linda Stranman

Hi Woody ,

Sorry but didn't quiet get how you convert the recipe into a base recipe :(( to use the chart

HI Rosa,
Please check pages 546 and 547 in "The Bread Bible". Durum flour is a finely ground, where semolina flour is coarsely ground. The recipe works best with durum flour.
Rose & Woody

Hello Rose , This is Rosa Maggie ,I wanted to ask you about the (Pugliese Bread)in the bread bible book , I'm not to sure about the(durum flour)? is it the (semolina flour)?...please get back to me and thank you for readying my message. Rosa Maggie

Just viewed "A Moment with Rose" video. How delightful!! I'm inspired to bake from your book.
Thanks for your beautiful website. You have a beautiful soul and your talent blesses me.

Hello Woody , and thank you so much for explain to me because I was not sure about what you have said to me , yous are the greats people and such a good explainer in what you do , Rose and Woody you have made me so happy happy , thank you very much for your help..P.S.I 'm making a copy of of this not that you have send me lol... so I don't forget..thank you again...

HI Rosa,
We are suggesting that you take the recipe from Rose's Heavenly Cakes and convert it using the Rose factor charts. Since it is a single layer, 9 inch cake, it will work for two 6 inch layers (Rose factor 2 OR 2 base recipes). Thus, you can break down the Rose's Heavenly Cake's recipe to a base recipe and use the charts to make your batters for different sized pans. This how we converted the four wedding cakes in RHC from their original recipes.
OR simply make nine 9 inch heart cakes per the recipe. You could decorate each cake differently.
Rose & Woody

hello Rose and Woody I'm having a problem with making the driffrent sizeies for the Red Velvet cake from ( rose's heaveny cakes book) and I can;t see the chart for this cake in ( the cake bible) please help me..

hello , I dont understand how do I adjust this red velvet cake from the heavenly cake booke to the cake bible because thire is no red velvet cake in the cake bible???? help!

Hi Rosa,
Yes. That is the beauty of the Rose factor.
Rose & Woody

hello , how do I adjust this red velvet cake from the heavenly cake booke to the cake bible because thire is no red velvet cake in the cake bible???? help!

oh did you mean that I can use the red velvet cake for rose's heaveny cakes and fix it to any size I want by using the Rose factor and charts in The Cake Bible??

hi it's me , Rosa I just looked at the cake bible and I don't see any Red velvet cake recipe?

ok and thank you so much I thought that I could not do that but I can "wow"..Thank you again..Rosa Maggie..

Hi Rosa,
You can adjust this recipe to whatever size you would like by using the Rose factor and charts in The Cake Bible. The baking powder will need to be increased slightly to level the top of the cake for any size you choose.
Rose & Woody

yes but I don't know how to make enough for about 90 people?

Hi Rosa,
We have a Red Velvet Cake recipe with the cream cheese frosting in Rose's Heavey Cakes.
Rose & Woody

hello Rose & Woody, I'm not to sure about making a Red Velvet Cake for my older sisters brithday surpries party about 60 people, can you help me because I don't see it on the cake bible..?,,,P.S.please help me..thank you, Rosa

thank you so much Rose & Woody...

Hi Rosa,
In The Bread Bible and also on this blog we have conversion charts for dry and fresh yeast.
1 teaspoon (dry) instant yeast = 1-1/4 teaspoons (dry) active yeast.
Rose & Woody

Hello Rosa and Woody, I not to sure about this bread recipe it calls for 4 teaspoons of instant yeast and what would it be in dry yeast I'm having a problem with the amount...Rosa.

hello Woody,and thank you, I want to use this strawberry cream cheese as a filing for a two layer Cake?

Hi Rosa,
We ask what are you looking to make?
If you are making a frosting, then adding strawberry puree to the Dreamy Creamy Frosting will give you a strawberry flavored cream cheese frosting.
If you are looking for more of a spread for bagels, then blending some strawberry butter and cream cheese together will work.
Rose & Woody

Hello Rosa and Woody, I have a question for you, how do I make Strawberry cream cheese? Or do I have it in one your books but the only one I have seed is the Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate.....P.S. I have all your cook books.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Rosa
12/31/2012 11:55 PM

Hi Rosa,

hello Woody and I did make the fruit cake with the orange juice and it was good thank you so much..

Hi Woody I have homemade Lemon Curd, so is that ok and in place of Passion fruit and still follow the recipe with the lemon curd?? And I do wish yous a happy new year 2013 ....Rosa v.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Rosa
12/31/2012 07:41 PM

Hi Rosa,
We suggest you try Lemon Curd. You may want to see if Amazon ships to Canada as Perfect Purée is on the website.
Rose & Woody

Hello Rose and Woody hope you had a wonderful Christmas I just wonder if I can’t find Passion fruit It is hard to find in Canada , Ontario , Barrie to make the white Gold Passion Genoise and is there something else that can be used ?

thank you so much Rose & Woody for yous asnswering me back soon and Merry Christmas to both of yous ...Rosa.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Rosa
12/16/2012 02:06 PM

Hi Rosa,
You can substitute orange juice for the hydrating liquid for the glaceed fruits. The brushed on rum is for increasing the shelf life of the fruit cake which can be omitted. The fruitcake will keep for a couple of months frozen without it.
Rose & Woody

Hello Rose and woody I have a problem with the fruitcake in the Rose's heavy cook book , what can I use instead of dark run , can I use orange juice ?...Ps. please get back soon to me and thank you so much..Rosa.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Cynthia
11/28/2012 01:32 AM

Hi Cynthia,
What was incredible about the video as I was assisting Rose for the entire video shoot, Ben's first, was that we had no idea what he was filming. He set up is various cameras in the typical "tv show" locations and angles. We only saw a few raw glimpses of what his cameras captured.
Then months later, this incredible portrait of Rose's skills and personality infused into these recipes and the creations that emerged. Ingredients coming to life thru Rose's alchemy and captured sensitively by Ben.

Hi Gayleen,
We are assuming your scale does not have a gram's setting and the fractions are for less than 1 ounce. If so, we suggest you make a chart to show the decimal equivalent to your scale's fractions. 1/4=0.25 ounces, 5/8=0.625 ounces, etc. Unfortunately, for some measurements you will have to guess as if we give 0.3 ounces as an example.
Fortunately, you can buy reliable digital scales that also read in grams (which is far more accurate) for under $25.00. Rose and I both use My Weigh Scales for conducting our tests as the brand has a variety of scales at reasonable prices. Rose has My Weigh scale that almost looks like new, is over 7 years old, has been used for 100s of tests, and was less than $40.00. Mine looks a bit more worn, but still works even with one button completely worn off.

Gayleen McLean
Gayleen McLean
11/27/2012 09:21 PM

How can I get a question answered about measurements in your recipes?
For example, I use a scale for measuring dry ingredients, in your recipes
You might have 9.5 oz. flour, my scale uses fractions 1/4, 5/8 etc. how do I
measure?

Exquisite cookbook. I must thank you for the 5pounds I gained watching the video, but it was worth it! You have a wonderful gift and am glad you have chosen to share it with us, your readers!

idalina, what a beautiful note. i truly treasure it. you MUST check out my latest--"rose's heavenly cakes." you can take it out of the library!

Hello Rose...l haven't been to your page in a while but, today l popped in a took a look at your clip...a moment with Rose.
My comment today is to about that clip. I bought two of your books (both cake bible) You bring a smile to my face and now l see why it is that your cakes are sooo wonderful...its the love for baking and the gentleness that you talk about them that comes through. The cakes come down to your gentle personality...a lovely person indeed.

Hi Woody,Can you pleses explain this to me
The Chocolate Domingo Cake is a beloved chocolate cake from the Cake Bible. The recipe is for one 9" round cake pan, 2" deep. I offered this cake for a party of 100 and converted the recipe into a wedding cake: a top tier consisting of two 9" cakes, and a bottom tier consisting of two 12" cakes. What attracted me to make this recipe a wedding cake was its high butter content which near guarantees a moist and tender cake even after 3 days of baking, which is the average span of time of a wedding cake to decorate, deliver, and display.

For the top tier, I multiplied x2 every ingredient and baked two 9" pans. For the bottom tier, I multiplied x4 every ingredient; and in addition multiplied the baking powder and baking soda x0.84, which is indeed a subtraction, and baked two 12" pans. A 12" pan is very close to twice the volume of a 9" pan. I used Rose's Heavenly Cake strips on all pans, fitting 3 strips with large paper clips on each 12" pan. Oven temperature was as indicated in the 9" recipe. The oven times were longer since i baked two 9" cakes at once (35-45 mins) and then two 12" cakes at once (50 to 60 mins).

Pease let me know if this is ok...Rosa

Hello rose, my name is Rosa and I have a question for you
I’m not too sure about the this!
In Hector's Words:

400 grams- white sugar
1 6/8 teaspoons- Baking powder
1 2/6 teaspoons- Baking soda
1 teaspoon -Salt
400 grams- unsalted Butter
Pease let me know if this is ok...Rosa

Woody, Am I correct that the Rose's Favorite Flaky & Tender Pie Crust Rx in this blog is for a single crust pie? TIA,
Bob

Thank you Woody, I'll give it a try. Bob

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Bob Spena
04/12/2012 05:52 PM

Hi Bob,
The water amounts are correct for the crusts shown on pages 29-30. However, Rose revised this recipe to her ultimate butter crust that has replaced the water with cream which has been increased slightly. The recipe is posted on this blog as Rose's Favorite Flaky & Tender Pie Crust .
We like this crust so well that it will the pie crust for most of the pies in the new book.

Dear Rose,

I made your Flaky Cream Cheese Pastry for 2 Crust. The Pie Bible calls for 2 Tablespoons of water, which was nowhere near enough water to bind the mixture. I viewed the Lemon Pucker Pie video where you make the Flaky Cream Cheese Pastry for a single curst and you appear to use several ounces of water.

What is the approximate correct amount of water for the Flaky Cream Cheese Pastry Crust?

Any information will be appreciated.
Bob

darling little monica--at least that's what you were the last time i saw you about 45 years ago! you always had the most loving heart and i have never forgotten you. it's unbelievable that a we will have the chance in a mere few weeks! who would ever have guessed that you would grow up and make your grandmother polly's chocolate mayonnaise cake from my book. life has a come a full circle. polly was the most loving person i've ever known and i think you must have inherited this gene! it's so wonderful to have you both back!

My Dear Aunt Rose!
If I could be reincarnated into another being, I truly believe I would want to be you! I feel the love of baking as a way of relaxing and feeling productive. I can only imagine the satisfaction you must experience in being in love with baking, it shows! Can't wait to catch up! See you soon...

Love Monica

leslie wright
leslie wright
10/ 7/2011 08:13 PM

I have long been a fan of you & The Cake Bible having made at least 11 wedding cakes from it. What a delight to see you in person. People have often commented to me at how much work went into a big cake and I always tell them it's not work when you love what you are doing. Thank you for everything that you do!

I really enjoyed this video. It is motivating! I have ingredients on my counter, coming to room temperature, and can't wait to start baking. Thanks Rose!

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from ou
07/ 1/2011 12:24 PM

Hi Ou,
If you bake other things in the oven, you can use it for baking cakes, pies, or breads as long as you regulate its heat. You may want to check with friends that have similar ovens to see if they need to adapt a recipe for baking times or temperature.
When we give milk as an ingredient, we are stating cow's milk. If we use a different milk like goat's milk, we will state it.

hi rose i have bought one of ur books but dont have an electric oven. can i be safe by using a traditional fabricated oven.(this is an oven where you regulate the heat by yourself i live in Ghana.)'thanks.in your cake reciepes when you state using milk ,what type of milk do u mean.please clarify.thanks

tammy, just plain old ganache, or is that a contradiction in terms?!

There is something calming about baking. Beautiful video. Which recipe did you use for the frosting on the deep chocolate passion wedding cake in the video?

OK, after watching this video, tonight I am going to make the deep chocolate passion cake with fresh cherries on top to celebrate their short season.
Rose, this video is gorgeous. I feel the same. Baking calms me down, and puts me in a good mood....

Such a lovely portrait of such a deserving artist. Excellent choice of music too.

You are a joy! Your books and videos reflect your knowledge and this video reflects your love of baking. I smiled throughout.

Hello Rose,

you really teased me in this video presentation. I felt hungry all through.lol

Its was inspiring and like you said, when you spilled something on the pages... it happened to me as well and it was water this time on the dust cover, i felt so bad and sad, i tried "ironing" to make it dry faster, but to my surprise..it spoilt the back cover and the ruined it so badly.

Wale

Speaking Heavenly Cake Mona Lisa

Just Beautiful

At play when at work--perfect definition!
Ok all--watching that cake makes me hungry too. It's the deep chocolate passion wedding cake but just one 9" layer.

Rose, that was just marvelous! Which chocolate cake was that? The carrot and white velvet butter is on my agenda today, along with some sort of loaf bread.
Bon weekend!

I loved this video portrait and how Ben captured your playfulness. I suppose that's the definition of following your passion -- at play when at work?

And Julie beat me to it...what is the chocolate cake? Yum!

I thoroughly enjoyed that video, what a beautiful collaboration. Could you tell us which chocolate cake and frosting that was?

That was a delightful portrait! And I thought the music was well chosen too. It was so enticing...

This video has the expert touch of two professionals. The creativity of both worlds (baking and art-photography-video) merge to capture a unique view of Rose.