heavenlycakes_thumb.jpg

Buy from Amazon: USA

The Perfect Caramel Pot

Jun 18, 2011 | From the kitchen of Rose

Thumbnail image for SCANPAN.jpg

Caramel.jpg

Those of you who are familiar with my work already know that caramel is one of my top favorite flavors and I try to work it into many recipes components. So it won't be surprisingly to learn that I have long been in search for the perfect caramel pot. And here it is! Scanpan Classic Ceramic Titanium 2-Quart Sauce Pan with Lid

It is the ideal size for almost all of my recipes. I wouldn't mind having a 1 quart as well as there are times when I make only a small quantity of caramel or sugar syrup.

Here is what I've been looking for in a caramel or sugar syrup pot:

A non-stick lining that can withstand heat up to 380˚F/193˚C--the maximum temperature to which I bring caramel. (ScanPan is safe up to 500F/260C!)The non-stick lining is important as sugar syrups and caramel risk crystallizing if scraped out of the pan. The scan pan releases every last smidgen of the sticky syrup.

A pouring spout on both sides of the pan for left and right handed pouring.

A pouring spout designed so that the syrup pours precisely where you want it to land without dripping onto the sides of the pan.

The ScanPan has it all!

lSCAN PAN.jpg

Comments

I ordered it. I took Amazon's last one and they have a note now saying they don't know it they will get it in again. Chef's Resource is fulfilling the order. I can't wait to use it.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Beth
07/ 5/2011 03:10 PM

beth, that is an adorable comment about chutzpah and better it came from you than me!!!

Rose, you are not kidding about sugar syrup crystallizing. That happened to me yesterday as I was making a batch of Mousseline Buttercream for some cupcakes. (Don't ask why I was in the kitchen on July 4. I just was. :) ) Even though I've made that frosting many times without incident, for some reason, as I transferred the sugar syrup from my heatproof measure to my beaten egg whites, this time the sugar began to crystallize in midpour, leaving a trail of rock candy along the inside of my Pyrex measuring cup. The best recourse was to simply boil another batch of syrup, rather than try to reboil the rock candy. Fortunately, the second time went well and the frosting came out great.

By the way, in my humble opinion anyone who knows you exist and still names their dish, let alone their store, "Best Chocolate Cake in the World" has a lot of chutzpah.

Julie, thanks for mentioning that. The 1 quart would work well for my needs too. I have heard a lot of good things about Scan Pan.

I do love the two spouts. Someone was thinking clearly!

Kyle: I don't think that any non-stick is going to last 20 years. Or 10. Or 5 with regular use. Cooks Illustrated tests showed that the non-stick characteristic starts to fade pretty fast and recommends that you treat them as disposable. Many of the very inexpensive non-stick skillets had very effective non-stick coatings.

I have some inexpensive stainless steel skillets with aluminum bottoms that I've had close to 20 years, although I don't use it daily. I'm skeptical that it's any more durable than my All Clad skillet.

Charles,
Quality kitchen equipment is always worth the $$ in the long run. If you need to justify the cost to yourself or a partner/spouse, just amortize it over a number of uses and years of service. Some of my commercial equipment whose price tag made me flinch when I purchased it is still in service after 20+ years and shows little sign of wear.
If you'll do a search on nextag.com you'll find some offerings at a slightly better price.

Bon appétit!

I've had their 12" frying pan for about a year -- it is amazing. You can make fried eggs with no added oil or fat at all and use metal utensils to boot. ScanPan titaniums are just fabulous in every way. I've made caramel in everything from aluminum to stainless to Le Crueset with good results, but if I had a small ScanPan pot like this, I know that I would use it exclusively.

Rose, thanks so much for this recommendation, I don't think I ever would have found this company otherwise. I'm interested in the 1 Qt pan, as it is considerably cheaper and large enough for all my caramel and sugar syrup needs. Except, maybe, for adding milk to caramel- not enough room for all that furious bubbling up.

$134 ????!!!! I can't conceive than any saucepan is worth that.