My Favorite Valentine's Cake

Feb 08, 2012 | From the kitchen of Rose

heavenly_04_04_08_00030.jpg

photo credit: Ben Fink

For the recipe and interview in the Santa Fe New Mexican click here.

Comments

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Fern
06/20/2013 03:20 PM

Hi Fern,
It is on page 113 in Rose's Heavenly Cakes.
Rose & Woody

Lovely cake presentation. I wanna try to bake this cake.

Dear Rose...million thanks for the reply....i have few questions here.can i substitute self raising cake flour instead of cake flour only?or just use ordinary bleach all purpose flour?very hard to find the cake flour at my place.i only found superfine white cake flour and self raising cake flour only.2nd,i recently tried making the decorating cookies.for my royal icing,i used raw egg whites instead of meringue powder since it is very expensive here.why my cookies not that crunchy and bit soft?is it because i left it uncover overnite for the icing to dry completely?any better way to solve my problems?TQ

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from meowrxz
04/13/2012 09:15 AM

Hi Meowrxz,
We suggest that you can make most any cake, butter,oil, or genoise that you like as the temperature will not be an issue. Most buttercreams are going to soften in a sustained 30˚C temperature. If you like chocolate, then we would suggest making the Deep Passion Wedding cake and skip the lacquer glaze. The chiffon cake and the chcocolate whipped cream ganache frosting will allow you to refrigerate the cake shortly before presenting it for your wedding. The frosting will hold up for 3 days at room temperatures between 21 and 23˚C, and should have no problem at your temperature for several hours. However, you should make a small batch of the ganache to test.

Dear Rose....i am from Malaysia.i make a plan to make my own wedding cake.can u tell me what is the best cake to make and what kind of frosting should i use.this is due to hot weather in Malaysia that can up to 30 degrees celsius sometimes....

alexandra von hahn
alexandra von hahn
03/07/2012 04:49 AM

Your books are simply a great asset in my repertoire of selected books on baking!
Alexandra
Life Coach
Canadian Cheesecake Catwalk network Shows
Abu Dhabi
Berlin

Many many thanks for your response - most appreciated!

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Cindy
02/24/2012 10:25 AM

Hi Cindy,
We recommend composing the raspberries and their glaze on the same day as the event for the freshest taste and appearance. The entire cake cake can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Be sure to give the cake several hours to warm up to room temperature.

Rose's Chocolate Valentine Cake is a beauty and I hope to make it for my daughter's birthday next week. Can I assemble the raspberries (and the glaze) a day in advance of the event or will they lose their freshness? Many thanks. Cynthia.

Thank you!

rose Levy Beranbaum
rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Waulene Atha
02/16/2012 04:56 PM

waulene, it is very unlikely that you will find a printing that is not post revised. there is a little red round on the upper right hand side of the cover that says revised ingredients and equipment sections.

the isbn is the same for all printings.

Waulene Atha
Waulene Atha
02/16/2012 04:46 PM

Good Afternoon,

I have about worn out my old Cake Bible cookbook and would like to purchase the 34th printing of The Cake Bible for a gift. However, I am unable to tell the print number from the information given on the internet. Will the ISBN number give me the correct book? If so, can you provide it? He is a bran new baker and it is important to me that he get the best book possible.

Thank you!

W-

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from chong
02/16/2012 12:58 PM

Hi Chong,
Rose thoroughly tested the recipe. no it won't work as well bc it doesn't have enough gluten forming proteins to form a strong enough structure and the butter will break through!

Hi Woody,
I found that Crossaint, from Bread Bible, need to use unbleached all-purpose flour, same as Brioche. However, I finally talked to the shopkeper about the flour that is sold. Unbleached AP flour very hard to sell, yellowish and expensive. Therefore, most of the flour imported are bleached AP flour. My question is, may I substitute unbleached AP flour with bleached bread flour for these two recipes? I need to bake a monkey bread now. Thanks.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from wale taiwo
02/09/2012 04:56 PM

Hi Wales,
We have not tested any cake recipes with plantains. We suggest try an equal weight of plantains for bananas and see what happens. You can then adjust from there.
You may also want to write to Nick for his opinion since it is his recipe.
You can always put the recipe on the forums for other baker's advice.

Hello Rose,

Good day to you. I just want to ask a question. I want to know why plantains are not used in cakes. I know banana are so common, but plantains. I went through the flavor bible and discovered that plantains and banana almost have the same flavor pairing. I want to try it out. I'm adapting a recipe from the Perfect Pastry by Nick Malgieri, below is the recipe:

all purpose flour: 2-1/2 cups
baking powder:2 tsp
baking soda:1 tsp
cinnamon:1/2 tsp
egg whites:3 large
sugar: 1/2 cup
brown sugar: 1/2 cup
butter (melted):3 tbsp
vanilla extract: 1 tsp
mashed plantain: 2 -1/2 cups

The recipe above was created for a Banana loaf cake that has low calories/low cholestrol. I read in On food and cooking by Harold Mcgee that the reason bananas are so much used in baking is that they have high sugar content and low starch, even when fully or over riped, whereas plantains have less sugar and more starch. I'm yet to try out the substitution, but I just want to seek for your expert advice. I'm being surrounded with plantains and bananas and its always fascinating to develop recipes for plantains...if they can be baked.

Thanks for your reply.

Wale Taiwo

I made this cake for Christmas. The cake's stunning presentation is rivaled only by it's delectable taste.