Glazes for Bread: Did you Know?

Nov 3, 2012 | From the kitchen of Rose

quarter_quarter.jpg

The quality of bread crust is not determined only by the type of bread being baked. There are glazes and toppings that can help to achieve a range of textures from soft and velvety to crisp and crunchy.

Here is the full range of possibilities:

Type of Glazes and Toppings
A crisp crust: Water (brushed or spritzed)
A powdery, rustic chewy crust: Flour (dusted)
A soft velvety crust: Melted butter, preferably clarified (1/2 tablespoon per average loaf)
A crisp light brown crust: 1 egg white (2 tablespoons) and 1/2 teaspoon water, lightly beaten and strained (the ideal sticky glaze for attaching seeds)
A medium shiny golden crust: 2 tablespoons egg (lightly beaten to measure) and 1 teaspoon water, lightly beaten
A shiny deep golden brown crust: 1 egg yolk (1 tablespoon) and 1 teaspoon heavy
cream, lightly beaten
A shiny medium golden brown crust: 1 egg yolk (1 tablespoon) and 1 teaspoon milk, lightly beaten
A very shiny hard crust: 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 6 tablespoons water: whisk the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the water. Bring the remaining 1/4 cup
water to a boil and whisk the cornstarch mixture into it; simmer for about 30 seconds,
or until thickened and translucent. Cool to room temperature, then brush on the bread
before baking and again as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Note: When using an egg glaze, it goes on most smoothly if strained. I like to add a pinch of salt to make it more liquid and easier to pass through the strainer.

An egg glaze will lose its shine if using steam during the baking process.

My preference is to use Safest Choice pasteurized eggs.

Comments

Adding flour didn't cause your bread to not rise; most likely your starter is still very weak. Does it double in 4 hours?

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from CHONG
09/ 5/2013 05:12 PM

Hi Chong,
We always recommend that you make the recipe exactly per the author's stated ingredients and instructions. This way you have the author's intended results. From here you can ask for advice or modify the recipe to your own preferences. This is what we do in when presenting other baker's and pastry chefs's recipes in Rose's books. Your unfavorable results are from modifying the recipe.
For the sour dough starter, you do not need to discard, but then you will a proportionately increasing in size starter. Rose and I still find humor in my feeding a starter that she gave me for over two years before I finally baked my first loaf of her Beer Bread recipe. I had a freezer full of individually wrapped starter discs. I have been able to use most of them in breads or giving them to friends.
Rose & Woody

I followed the sourdough recipe in the book. After adding the according to the procedure, I found that the dough was very moist. It was soft but sticky. Therefore, I added in more flour to make it not sticky. The result is, a very sticky but not raised dough after 5 hours. May I know what happened?
About the sourdough starter, is it need to discard half of the mixture before adding another portion of flour and water? It's a bit waste and I save it every day without discarding them.

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston in reply to comment from Anonymous
11/28/2012 10:56 AM

Hi Anonymous,
Rose has a couple of raspberry sauce, puree, and glaze recipes in all of her books. For most of the recipes, the ingredients are simply frozen raspberries without sugar, lemon juice, and sugar in which you are extracting the juices out of the berries, reducing the juices, extracting the seeds, and then pureeing and combining all of the ingredients.
Please refer to any of the recipes in her books to see which one will work for your application.
Rose & Woody

Hi Please let me know the ingredients on how to make the glaze which you aplly on top of the raspberry of the heart chocolate cake thanks

Thanks Woody, I need to register on thd forum. I didnt have anywhere else to post the question.

Thanks for the pointers.

Wale

Woody Wolston
Woody Wolston
11/ 7/2012 04:07 PM

Hi Wales,
We suggest that you post this on the Forums section, which will give your request more visibility for our international baking community to give suggestions to this subject.

The two-stage method is a proven method used in bakeries, cake specialty shops, and caterers through out the world. The Cake Bible is in its 49th printing over 24 years and has not been questioned on this method for wedding and special occasion baking. However, Joe Pastry comments, "Well because one bowl cakes are a little dense for some people." So this can come down to how any individual baker has perfected her/his art.
Rose & Woody

one thing for sure, don't use steam and glaze as the steam dulls it.

Dr. Gary Dubester
Dr. Gary Dubester
11/ 7/2012 12:28 PM

I have been baking challah that is kosher parve so I can't use dairy products. I have been using an egg-water wash which consists of one large egg and one tablespoon water. For some extra shine I have been spritzing the loaves with water as soon as they come out of the oven. Is there anything else I can do to make the loaves shinier without adding dairy products?

Olawale Taiwo
Olawale Taiwo
11/ 7/2012 11:11 AM

Hello Rose,

I just want to ask you to clarify/educate me more on this statement I read on Joe Pastry Blog, about The One Bowl (a.k.a. “Quick” a.k.a. “Blending”) Method.

He says "So if the one bowl method gives you a result that’s that wonderful, why doesn’t everybody use it for cake? Well because one bowl cakes are a little dense for some people. Also, one bowl layers, being as tender as they are, are terrible for stacking. Oh you can make a layer cake out of them, but even with wooden supports, one-bowl method cake layers start to collapse under their own weight after three stories or so. So the next time you’re at a wedding, look closely at the cake. Is it tall and sculpted? Then the layers are probably creaming-method layers: sweet and light but probably also rather tough. If the cake is wide and low, the layers were probably made via the one-bowl method. You’re in for a richer, more silky experience."

Please kindly explain is this reconciles with the method in your cake books.

Thanks

Wale

What a great reference- you've inspired me to play around with crust textures on my next bake!