I Hated to Eat

Jul 06, 2013 | From the kitchen of Rose

I-Hate-Food.jpg

I have a theory that kids who hate to eat end up becoming major gourmets. In any event this was the case for me. When I was a child, eating was work. There were few things I enjoyed eating. Of course butter and ice cream were exceptions. When I was 16, and went on the experiment in international living to Italy, I lost 10 pounds. It wasn't until I was 17, and took an obligatory food course in college, that I discovered how wonderful food could taste.

When going through my vast collection of things for our move I discovered this cartoon that I had saved because it so perfectly expressed my former distaste and dispair.

I was very fortunate not to have a mother or grandmother who made me sit before the food until I had finished it (it would have been a long wait). I still remember how awful it felt to have to eat something I detested. My grandmother actually offered me money to have a few sips of the eggnog (yuk!) she had made for my breakfast to stave off starvation. (When she wasn't looking I would pour it down the side of the building.) She would say things like "look at your wrists--I can see the bones sticking out," to which I would say: "look at my behind instead." (I was always a bit of a smart ass.)

Nowadays, I love food so much I can't bear to throw out something delicious so into the freezer it goes. Here are two things I unearthed while moving the contents of the freezer to their new location:

Chapati.jpg

Spicy chapati from a marvelous tour of the Indian neighborhood in Queens last April, given by Madhur Jaffrey. I fried a peewee egg crisp with runny yolk and inserted it in the pocket of the bread. Yum!

Mini Burger.jpg

A mini burger bun I made last year. It was still great. All it needed was some prime aged ground meat and a slice of Vidalia. (The ketchup had already moved to NJ.)

Comments

LOL! Sounds like me too when I was a child.. I hated dinner time..and my mom would get so frustrated with me that she would hit me on my head with her knuckles for not wanting to eat my food. Now I enjoy baking and cooking like a hobby. However, I still have a very small appetite and can't eat much.

i think it is true for everyone who learns how to cook (nobody is born knowing!), as you learn more how your food is made, then you learn to eat.

rose Levy Beranbaum
rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from CharlesT
07/07/2013 04:08 PM

charles, i suspect my grandmother didn't enjoy cooking which is one of the main reasons i wasn't tempted by what she made. but when i discovered how wonderful things could taste when i made them myself it was a whole different world!

Hilarious, Amazing, and YUMMY. thx for sharing.

"I have a theory that kids who hate to eat end up becoming major gourmets."

That's the origin of my interest in food. My mother was an indifferent and terrible cook, which I didn't realize until I was an adult.

Unfortunately, my gourmet-ness is handicapped by the fact that there are huge swaths of foods that I can't eat due to the unpleasant memories associated with them. I'm slowly overcoming this and should be reasonably normal by my 450th birthday.

Rose levy beranbaum
Rose levy beranbaum
07/06/2013 12:13 PM

It's been over 40 years--I can't remember what the rest of the caption said.

The picture itself reflects that, but at the bottom it says something about "lags during tasks" and
"Children under seven cannot." So I was wondering that the caption actually said.

Rose levy beranbaum
Rose levy beranbaum
07/06/2013 11:34 AM

Jose, it says something different to each person. What does it say to you? To me it shows the despair of a child forced to eat something he or she finds to be distasteful.

The cartoon is cute, but what does it say?