Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

Special Tips for Using the Ankarsrum Stand Mixer

Jul 2, 2014 | From the kitchen of Rose

Ankarsrum.jpg

This coming Saturday will be the first of five special bread recipes with specific details relating to the Ankarsrum stand mixer. I'm delighted to report that this sturdy mixer can knead a larger than usual amount of stiff bread dough so my first recipe offering is for a double batch of bagels!

There will also be step by step photos of all recipes. Here are a few ideas and tips for using this excellent heavy duty mixer.

When using the Ankarsrum for mixing bread, I start on low speed, which is the space between the first and second marking, to mix the dough just until the ingredients are incorporated and all the flour is moistened--1 to 2 minutes. When kneading the dough, I then choose the space between the second and third space.

Unless doing a very large amount of dough I use the roller/scraper attachment set at about 1/2 inch from the side of the bowl. The adjustment knob will hold firmly in place so in order to remove the roller easily, all you have to do is move the arm that holds the roller forward very slightly and then the knob will turn easily.

People have asked how the Ankarsrum functions for cakes and cookies. We plan to experiment in the near future but in the meantime I asked advice from Ashley McCord whose family is the long time US distributor. The following is her helpful hints:

"The Ankarsrum does a wonderful job using the plastic beater bowl with the batter whips for cakes and icing. You MUST always use softened butter or cream cheese though. The black plastic gear that the balloon whisks and the batter/cookie whips attach to on the double whisk bowl are not designed for hard, cold butter, or very stiff batters. I will also use the batter whips for small, light batches of cookie dough. If you are wanting to make a large batch of triple chocolate chunk or oatmeal cranberry cookies with the extras (nuts, dried fruit), then use the stainless steel bowl and roller/scraper to mix that up. For creaming the butter and sugar, I like a higher speed. Then when I start adding my dry ingredients, I like the slowest speed so that the flour doesn't poof out all over my counter."

Comments

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from cindy
04/19/2017 12:29 PM

hi cindy,

i love the Ankarsrum for bread but i haven't used it for pastry or cakes so i really can't advise you on it. i do recommend that you get in touch with the US distributor: support@ankarsrumoriginalusa.com
(770) 516-5000

Hello, I just have a question about which attachment to use for making puff pastry dough? I use a kitchen aid in school but I have just bought an ankarsrum to use at home for mainly bread baking but I tried using the roller and scraper for puff pastry dough, it did not work out very well. But it might also be because I half-ed the recipe. are there any suggestions to which attachment I should use instead?

Hi Kevin,
We have seen that Ashley Mc Cord's recommendation for the plastic bowl yields the best results.
Rose & Woody

For creaming room temperature butter and sugar, when making cakes, does one use the metal bowl or the plastic one?

Mary~

I Just reread your post. It looks like you may be referring to creaming just plain butter. If that's the case, well, I can't speak to that. Have never done it, but the butter-sugar thing.works well. :)

Hi, Mary. I have just purchased the Ankarsrum mixer and had the same concern about it's ability to properly cream sugar/butter. Having used it several times for creaming, I can say with confidence that the roller/scraper combo does a beautiful job of creaming the two together - even to the light and fluffy stage. Frankly, I was surprised. My mind was saying this won't work, but my eyes said wow! This works. The trick is to expect the Ankarsrum to take a bit longer to reach the creamed stage but be assured, it WILL happen. Once the initial incorporation is done, turn up the speed and go about your business for a bit. The mixer is a jewel. Just takes getting used to a new way of doing things.

Still wondering how this works at creaming butter...it seems like I can't win. The Kitchenaid is supposedly better at making cookies and the Asst is better at making breads...I like how the asst runs, but if it can't cream cold butter for 10 minutes (creaming for 10 mins at room temp will liquify the butter), then I can't make my famous cookie recipe...hmmm...... :(

Properly creamed butter is almost white, not merely a little lighter in color. I agree this might explain the differing opinions regarding the creaming ability of this mixer.

You can get away with poorly creamed butter for some things....cookies can be successful without creaming at all. Cakes are usually more finicky.

It is funny we went through denial before we came around :-). Yes, it is such a beautiful design, you want it out on the counter, because let's face it, every kitchen seems to have a Kitchenaid on the counter even though most people just buy it decorate their kitchens (I'm convinced of that :-) and never use it.
I'm so glad I ran across your site while out looking for the cookie beaters, to try to use for Pie dough.

Hi Bunny, sorry butter creaming still eludes you. It makes me want to pull out butter right now and see if I can help. Assuming we have the same definition of creamed butter (could be the diff), which is at least a little lighter in color and dull peaks or holds the whip marks, these are the only things I can think of:

1) I've not done anything under two sticks (cup) of butter or a combination butter/shortening because the size of the bowl. You may be able to get good results with less, but I thought it would almost flatten out.

2) If my butter is too soft when I begin to cream it in any mixer, I don't get the best results. We know when too cold, but too soft and mine doesn't cream. It just spreads out. My best results around 60 to 64ish.

3) Correct it with sugar. Adding sugar whips in air into the butter and might help bring it to more of the consistency you're trying to get to.

I'm sure you've tried all of these things, but the last thing may be, I may not know what properly creamed butter should look like :-). Sharing some thoughts to try to help you reach your goal couldn't hurt anything. Don't give up!!

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from SandSquid
01/ 9/2016 10:16 AM

SandSquid, i agree with you 100% i've long thought that anything that does everything does nothing really well!

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from escl8r
01/ 9/2016 10:13 AM

escl8r, thank you for this excellent post. you'll laugh to hear that i was in the same 'doubting boat' and my Ankarsrum also sat for about 10 years after having tried it out for "the bread bible." i saw its potential but somehow, just as you said, it was so different i was too lazy to discover a new way of mixing. luckily Ankarsrum contacted me and the rest is history! i now use it for all my bread baking and adore it. recently i used the meat grinder attachment. the Ankarsrum is such a powerful piece of machinery and so beautifully designed.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Bunny
01/ 9/2016 10:06 AM

Bunny, i use my Ankarsrum for bread so i haven't even tried creaming butter with it but if i did i would soften it just as i do in any mixer other than a food processor. also, something i've workout out for bread is that i manually push the arm toward the center a few times as needed if the dough quantity is small so that it reaches the middle of the bowl for a moment.

Hi
Thank you for your comment about the Ankarsrum . I have had mine for a few years, and I must say its a beast. However, still, no matter what I try I cannot cream butter. I HAVE tried moving the position of the roller but still no success.
Also, I have decided that when making shortbread cookies , I just use the plastic bowl and whips. However, again, when a recipe calls for cold butter cut into pieces, I still wait for it to soften because I broke my whips on cold butter and had to replace them (Ankarsrum only charged tax and shipping as they say this is a common problem).

Hi Rose
It's been about a year and a half...still waiting to hear what the people at Ankarsrum have told you. I
Thy told me to try dipping the roller in powdered sugar or flower first. Doesn't help. I absolutely positively still cannot cream butter with it.

To all of you that's not had a good experience with your Ankarsrum, Assistent DLX or those that's not even own or tried one, but just doubts, here's my story for what it's worth.
I bake everything from Breads to Cakes to cookies. I decided back in 2006 to purchase one of these mixers because the Pizza dough folks were swearing by it and the bowl six is great. My experience doing breads wasn't so great. I tried several times with the dough hook to get good results. The dough was okay, but I spent a lot of time fighting the dough from riding up the hook. This is partially why I was getting away from the kitchenaid.
Spin forward to 2015. It sat covered for almost 10 years and I'd picked up my bread baking so much, I decided to take it down, look at some videos on how people were using it and for what and what the complaints stood out. The light bulb came on after looking at a couple of videos. The light bulb was, STOP using the DLX tools as they were intended. Once I stopped using the dough hook and went with the roller/scraper, I've been slapping myself that I let this mixer sit on the shelf and a couple of times, almost put out for sale. My bread doughs are consistent, don't ride up on the roller kneads perfectly between the roller and scraper and of course, I can make 10lbs of dough in, though, my regular batch is just over 5lbs.
So here's the bonus. I saw the discussion about whipping butter and I'm not going to dis our doubt the results people got, but my own results surprised me. I decided, what the heck, let me try my cake batter using the roller and scraper, because I had doubt it could do it right. I was shocked when I started getting better whipped results than my Kitchenaid. I S%@t you not. My overall results once completed gave me great results and now for certain cakes, like my Whoopie Pie cakes, I exclusively use the DLX because my batter consistency is better with it.
So what did I learn?
1) Change your mindset because you may not realize it, you go into using this mixer with a good dose of doubt to start with and don't even realize it. You do it because it's so different from what you've using and watch used almost all of your life. Break out of it!
2) Don't use the parts as intended. Like I said, I'll never use it's dough hook again because the roller/scraper does an outstanding job with soft or stiff bread doughs.
3) Roller location is key!! Master where that roller should be locked away from the bowl to get the best results. It takes a few times maybe but once you do, you'll get the results you paid for. That's even with butter. It's soft, but doesn't necessarily mean that the roller should up against the side of the bowl. Give it a little space to whip the butter but turn the roller. As you add ingredients, adjust the roller.
4) Try again for the first time and for those that's just doubting, at least buy or try one before you start doubting what it can do, unless you're paid to doubt it :-) And no, I don't work for any mixer companies.

Hope this helps!

Mr. Still shuttering over the thought that I almost threw my DLX/Ankarsrum away from ignorance.

No. It can't cream butter. It doesn't cream butter. It won't ever cream butter. And if you don't believe me- try it yourself. If you don't have one yet, ask and I will gladly post a video of it NOT CREAMING BUTTER!

It works.

I am a professional baker, bread & pastry, so I have exceedingly high standards for my equipment both at work and at home.

At home I have several current vintage KitchenAid mixers; a lift bowl and a tilt head model (all consumer grade sub standard junk in my opinion) mixers. Also a 1960's era Hobart made KitchenAid KA-5 mixer (far far superior, IMO) and a Hobart N-50 commercial mixer, and of course an Electorlux (Ankarsrum) mixer.

The Ankarsrum produces superior bread to even that of my Hobart N-50. It is rock solid, (does not wobble and walk off countertops) quiet, and the ability to add ingredients to the mixing bowls is unsurpassed. For mixing lighter cake batters it is also very good.

For anything requiring creaming, I always always always cream butter that is room temperature. But even with that caveat, if I need to mix any stiff (such as cookie) batter, I turn to the traditional stand mixer. even my most anemic KitchenAid tilt head performs better than the Ankarsrum.

I have never gotten acceptable results using either the beaters and plastic bowl nor the stainless bowl with roller and scraper.

The Ankarsrum is by far the best bench-top _dough_ mixer I hvae ever had the pleasure to use, but it cannot be all things to all people.

Do one thing and do it well.
Do not try and be all things to all people.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that the roller will cream butter well. Rose has indicated that she hasn't experimented with this, but quotes someone else as indicating that it works. I haven't found any YouTube videos demonstrating it.

Hi
I am TOTALLY frustrated with my Ankarsrum!! I am a cake decorator and I have s terrible time creaming butter! I know to use soft butter (I actually broke the whips in the plastic bowl by using butter or cream cheese that wasn't soft enough). When I use the stainless bowl with the roller attachment, all the butter (or butter/sugar combination) simply collects inside the grooves of the roller so that the roller is turning butter butter is stuck (no matter how high I turn up the speed). Please help!!

andre, i have never used this technique in a mixer as for the quantity that i do it works so well by hand but i would suggest that you soften the butter slightly. the ankarsrum does such a good job of mixing, i can't imagine why other than the butter being too hard it would not work.

i will ask the people at ankarsrum what their advice is and add it when the respond.

i use the roller except when making a very large quantity of dough.

Andre Carstens
Andre Carstens
07/20/2014 01:33 AM

Hi there
Just spoilt ourselves with the new Ankarsrum. We bake a lot of traditional South African rusks, cakes and scones.
Many of our recipes require butter to be rubbed into the flour. I tried it yesterday with the dough hook and then the roller. We put flour in the stainless bowl and added the butter which was still hard. My Kenwood K hook rubs it in perfectly. This however was a disaster. PLEASE can you give me some advice here as we are heartbroken. We normally need to rub 500g butter into 2kg of flour. Regards

My husband bought me the Ankarsrum Stand Mixer for Christmas 2 yrs ago I am maddly in love with it. I will never use any other mixer. I make everything from scratch and this mixer makes my life so much easier. I love how I can make 7 -8 loafs of bread at one time. I make all the holiday cookies for my family and beeing Italian that meens 13 different tipes of cookies and they are double or tripple batches. This mixer has cut my time by more than 1/2. I also make my girls birtday cakes and there usually 2-3 layer cakes I can whip it up in no time. This was the best gift my husband ever gave me besides my 3 girls. If your a hard core baker this is the mixer for you

yes charles--that's exactly what she means (the roller can be used to cream the butter).

I assume she's not saying that the roller can cream the butter?