Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

FORUMS will be discontinued by end of October. If one of you is interested in hosting the Forums please contact Woody at: woody@ptd.net

The Zen of Japanese Cottony Milk Bread Final Frontier

Feb 19, 2017 | From the kitchen of Rose

IMG_4747.jpg

Fellow blogger Hsiaohui posted that he makes this bread with a special Japanese flour called Casarine. He wrote that in Asia it also was called the " tearful flours" as anyone who eats the bread made with this flour would be tearful for tasting such delicious bread. It has a 11.7% protein (Note from Rose: which is 0.3% lower than my combination of bread flour and cake flour) and is made by extracting the very heart of a wheat. I lost no time in ordering it from bakingwarehouse in Hong Kong and it arrived two weeks later.

The very next day I whipped up (or should I say kneaded up) a batch of dough, shaping it into a single loaf because we have been so enjoying it for ham sandwiches and as toast rather than buns.

IMG_4741.jpg

The resulting bread was a more beautiful white color than the combination of bread and cake flour. The loaf was the exact same height and shape and the crumb equally soft and chewy. And the flavor was not noticeably different enough to justify shipping flour across the Pacific and the US. But if I were living in Hong Kong this is the flour I would use for this bread.

IMG_4748.jpg

Comments

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum
04/20/2017 10:47 PM

Correction: i used a 9 x 5 inch bread pan for the single loaf.

Thanks for the clarification.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Janet
04/13/2017 08:53 AM

Janet, I should add that I use KA bread flour for this bread and my multigrain because it has a slightly higher protein content but I use gold medal bread flour for most other breads.

Thanks so much, will get that cake flour today. I use KAF bread flour as well. Can't wait to try this bread.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Janet
04/13/2017 08:28 AM

Janet, I use King Arthur bread flour and either soft as silk or swans down cake flour--the only two that are bleached.

Hi Rose, I am very intrigued by this bread. However, I don't have any cake flour on hand, as I have never EVER had good results baking cakes with cake flour. Try as I might, they don't turn out well. I use bleached AP flour, and I have wonderful results with my cakes now.

If I might ask, which brands of bread and cake flours do you use to get the magic formula for the protein amount in this bread? If I am going to invest in these ingredients, I'd like to use the same ones you did to achieve good results. Thanks.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Jeff C
02/22/2017 11:47 AM

Jeff, the links to the website where it is posted is on the first milk bread posting--please put it in the search box. i used a 9" by 5" bread pan to make the single loaf.

Please advise how to obtain the recipe for:

The Zen of Japanese Cottony Milk Bread Final Frontier

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum
02/20/2017 02:31 PM

no--this is why the crumb is so pretty: is made by extracting the very heart of a wheat.

White Lily unbleached bread flour supposedly has 11.7 percent protein. So it's the protein content that is crucial for Japanese Cottony Milk Bread? The crumb is so pretty.