Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

Ask Your Questions

Mar 19, 2017 | From the kitchen of Rose

Please feel free to post comments here if you can't find another appropriate place. The other question entries became too long for some people's browsers to download.

You can access older entries

here

or

here

Comments

Laura Rowe
Laura Rowe in reply to comment from woody
04/30/2017 06:07 PM

Thanks for getting back with the correction, Woody. Laura

Hi Laura,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rose just added this to the Errata/Corrections section:
page 314, corrections in bold: top of the chart should be: MAKES: SEVEN 4 3/4-INCH FLUTED TARTLETS
OR EIGHT 4-INCH TARTLETS MADE IN FLAN RINGS

page 315, under EQUIPMENT should be: Eight 4- by 3/4-inch flan rings or seven 4 3/4- by 3/4-inch fluted tart pans with removable bottoms

Rose & Woody

Thanks, Woody, The Bittersweet Chocolate Cookie Tart Crust recipe should make eight 4 ¾-inch tartlets. I only have 4 ¾-inch tartlet tins, so am not sure how many to make to accommodate the amount of filling in the Chocolate Pecan Blast recipe or if it makes much difference.

Hi Libby,
We do not recommend freezing the cake completed cake, because of the passion fruit curd will lose flavor. Storage times for the cake and buttercream are on page 3 and in "The Cake Bible". We suggest freezing the cake and frosting separately, and refrigerating the passion curd for up 10 days. You could complete the cake a couple of days ahead of serving it and letting the cake and buttercream warm up to room temperature a few hours ahead.

Hi Cynthia,
Have you tried chilling the GNB a bit before piping?
Have you experimented with the White Chocolate Buttercream that is in "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" and The Baking Bible"?

Cynthia Pedro
Cynthia Pedro
04/27/2017 01:33 AM

Hi Rose and Woody,

I love rose's golden neoclassic buttercream and i have never used any buttercream with shortening since ive tried GNB. I discovered adding white chocolate in it and people are loving it. But my problem is i cant pipe any roses using GNB it just would not form into flowers even using the flower piping nozzles like the russian nozzles. is there a way of using GNB for piping flowers

Hi Laura,
We are away in New York for our book's photo shoot, but do not have our books here. So we will answer your question on Friday.
Rose & Woody

Which is the correct number of pans to use for the Chocolate Pecan Blasts page 314-315 The Pie and Pastry Bible. Within the recipe there is a discrepancy between the yield (makes seven or eight) and the tart crust and and equipment (both eight or eight). (see below)

Chocolate Pecan Blasts

Makes: seven 4 3/4-inch tartlets or eight 4-inch tartlets

Bittersweet Chocolate Cookie Tart Crust for eight 4-inch tartlets or eight 4 3/4-inch tartlets (page
61), prebaked and cooled

Equipment: Eight 4- by 3/4-inch flan rings or eight 4 3/4-inch fluted tart pans with removable bottoms

(I tried to post this question under corrections for The Pie and Pastry Bible, but I wasn't able to access the comments.)

HI Rose,
Can you freeze a completed White Gold Passion Genoise (in Heavenly Cakes, p. 173)?

Thanks so much. I also really appreciate all your answers to my questions!
Libby

Hi Libby,
You can use it taking in account of The Notes we wrote concerning the differences. You may want to experiment making single layers using the Windra and cake flour/cornstarch to see which you prefer.
Rose & Woody

Thanks for the response, Woody! I meant I wanted 3 layers of 6 inch cake and didn't mean that each layer will need to be 3 inches high. Apologize if my question wasn't clear.

Hi Tiya,
This recipe is the same as the Base Yellow Cake Formula in the Wedding Cake chapters. The base recipe is for a single layer 6 inch cake. We do not recommend baking a 3 inch high cake as it is difficult to bake the cake uniformly throughout.

Hello,

I want to use the All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake recipe from the Cake Bible to make a 6-inch three layer cake. Could you please give me pointers on what adjustments I would need with respect to the baking time and quantities.

Hi Rosary,
We are on a photo shoot, so I do have access to RHC. I think we just dilloped and smoothed the curd over the layer of the buttercream for the filling layers.
Rose & Woody

Yes. I'm familiar with incorporating the curd into the mousseline. I was talking about the decorating instructions for the Woody's Lemon Luxury -- to first make swirls in the buttercream and then swirl dollops of the curd that goes on top.

Hi Rosary,
Just the photos in our books and what Rose shows on her YouTubes. For incorporating the lemon curd, we usually just blend it into the cooled buttercream in the mixing bowl
Rose & Woody

Thank you for your suggestions, Woody. The Lemon cake with the components you suggested was amazingly good and the birthday boy was extremely grateful!

I don't suppose you have a photo of what the top of the cake should look like. I couldn't quite figure out how to swirl dollops of the cured through the buttercream.

Thanks again,
Rosary

HI Rose, I made the Genoise Classique cake (Cake Bible) and it was wonderful. Now am going to make the White Gold Passion Genoise (Heavenly Cakes). I noticed that in the Passion Genoise, the recipe uses Wondra flour.

My question is: Could I use Wondra flour in the Genoise Classique cake that is used in the Star Spangled Raspberry Cake (Cake Bible)? The recipe says to use cake flour/cornstarch and since Heavenly Cakes was written after the Cake Bible, I am wondering if Wondra flour could be used in the Genoise Classique cake. Would Wondra flour make the Genoise Classique cake too fragile for the Star Spangle Raspberry Cake?

Thank you!
Libby

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Rachel
04/23/2017 08:39 PM

Rachel, the recipe is in rose's Christmas cookies. But as a Mother's Day gift I will post the recipe on the blog for this Saturday.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from A.R El-Mongy
04/23/2017 08:34 PM

A.R. Is it my chocolate chip recipe you are using?

thank you rose and woody !

My mother-in-law misplaced your recipe for Scottish shortbread cookies and she's a big fan! Is there a place where I could find it? I'd love to surprise her for Mother's Day.

Thanks,
Rachel

i am talking about the cookies not the chocolate thank you so much for your Response
i have spots on the top of the cookies

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from A.R.elmongy
04/23/2017 09:21 AM

A,R, it sounds like you are getting chocolate bloom. have you tried using packaged chocolate chips? i've never had this happen with them. if you are storing your chocolate in a warm place and then putting it in a cold place that will cause the bloom to form.

A.R.elmongy
A.R.elmongy
04/23/2017 03:29 AM

I have light colored spots on the top of my chocolate chips cookies and it looks ugly why is that
BTW i tried different methods / chilling my chocolate first before mixing but still the spots always occur

Hi Libby,
We have not worked with the Goya product, and suggest that you contact them.
Perfect Puree is available on-line and at select grocers.

Hi Rosary,
You can add lemon curd to the Mousseline as we did for the White Chocolate Buttercream. Or just some a bit of lemon zest or oil.
The Hong Kong cake is very light in flavor, and is 2 inches in height. We suggest splitting in 2 layers.

HI Rose,
I would like to make the White Gold Passion Genoise (from Heavenly Cakes). I am only able to get (Goya's) frozen Passion Fruit "pulp" (not puree). This pulp does not seem to have any seeds. Do you have any suggestions on how to make this pulp into a "puree"? (I also was not able to find Perfect Puree "concentrate").

Thank you very much. I appreciate this website!!

Libby

Thanks, Woody. To clarify:

Are you suggesting that I use Mousseline buttercream with lemon curd added to it? And that I also use lemon curd between the layers, as in Woody's Lemon Luxury?

Regarding the Honk Kong sponge cake, are you suggesting that I can split that in half (or in 4) layers?

Thanks so much, again. This forum is an amazing gift to all of us from you and Rose.

Rosary

Jerry Ruth
Jerry Ruth in reply to comment from woody
04/21/2017 10:48 AM

Woody,

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I think I am going to try the chiffon in the round pans.

Also I want to thank both you and Rose for all your hard work and dedication to creating such detailed and wonderful recipes, because of you two and your work, you make all of us home bakers look good! :)

Jerry

hi Rosary,
You can easily adapt the Woody's Luxury by making a 4X recipe of the Base Yellow Cake from "The Cake Bible" (page 492) and add the lemon zest. Basically the same cake, less the white chocolate.
Make the Mousseline Buttercream as a substitute for the White Chocolate Buttercream and add the Lemon Curd.
Being a chiffon cake, the Renee Fleming is what it is with the depression when baked without a center tube.
We also suggest you look at Rose’s posting for the: Hong Kong Sponge Cake--an Amazing Technique. Along with the recipe there is also a video by Vietnamese baking blogger Linh Trang making the cake and explaining how she created this cake to prevent dipping. You can add lemon zest to the cake.

Hi debb,
Yes. You can simply increase the leavenings by the same ratio as you do for the rest of the ingredients. We have not experienced the bubbling when we have made larger batches. Hopefully, just a fluke.
Rose & Woody

hello rose !!! wonderful baking bible ! your granola cookie is my family's favourite ! question regarding doubling the recipe: can i simply double or triple the baking soda and baking powder when multiply by 2 or 3 - or should i uae a didferent formula or ratio for the leavener when increasing ? when i double the recipe, it looks a bit off - bubbly on the top while baking.

I am desperate. I hate the taste of white chocolate but I decided to give one more try and made Woody's Lemon Luxury Buttercream for a special birthday. I used Green & Black's white chocolate. The lemon curd is delicious and the texture of the finished buttercream is glorious. But it still tastes like white chocolate and I still hate the taste. I might complete and bring this cake, anyway, but I need another suggestion for a lemon birthday type cake.

Can the Renee Fleming Golden Chiffon cake with Lemon curd Whipped Cream & Powdered Lemon Zest be baked as a layer cake? If yes, what would I fill it with? Lemon curd, or just the lemon whipped cream? Or the Light Lemon Curd buttercream?

Or Rose's Cheesecake with Lemon Curd on top? If so, how much lemon curd?

Any other thoughts?

Rosary

Hi Jerry,
We have converted the Orange Glow Chiffon to a 9 inch round pan in Rose's Heavenly Cakes, however it does have a depression in the center, which can be topped with whip cream. We suggest that you look at Rose's posting: Hong Kong Sponge Cake--an Amazing Technique. This cake has a flat top, can be flavored with orange juice, and you can see a video on how to make it. Another possibility is the Grand Marnier Cake, which can be baked as a layer cake.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Tom
04/20/2017 09:35 AM

hi Tom,

i've never had a dewberry--not sure if they even grown in my area. first thing to consider is how much sugar they require. if they are not as tart as blackberries, you'll need to cut the sugar. as for masking raspberry flavor, i find that blueberries marry well with other berries so might be a good idea to do a combination. you could also make a crisp instead of a pie.

I need to make an orange layred cake this weekend for a baptism, any ideas on how I can convert a yellow or white cake into one. Should I just add orange zest or substitute orange juice for the liquid? Or can the Orange Glow Chiffon be baked in 9 inch round pans? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I just picked a mess of fresh dewberries and had a few questions:

- If I made a pie do I just follow the blackberry pie recipe?
- My wife thinks they taste just a hint too much like raspberries and she hates raspberries (which is weird). Any ideas to cover that up (probably not but thought I'd ask)?
- If you had any other great dessert ideas for dewberries please let me know.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Anonymous
04/19/2017 05:47 PM

1. neither one nor the other

2. neither one nor the other

these would not be classic génoise or biscuit but a variation.

1.if a Sponge is made by beating whole egg (Genoise method) but no butter added in, could I considerate this as Genoise or Biscuit?
2. and if a Sponge is made by beating separated egg whites and egg yolks with butter in it, could I considerate this as Genoise or Biscuit?
Sorry for asking this question, but the definitions really make me confused.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from Luu
04/19/2017 02:49 PM

hi Luu,
biscuit does not have any butter and has egg whites beaten separately both of which make it a very light cake with the strength to absorb a lot of syrup without falling apart. génoise not only has butter, it uses whole eggs though these days i add an extra yolk for every 4 whole eggs because the proportion of yolk to white has decreased due to younger laying hens being used in commercial venues.

Today I had a discussion with my friends about Sponge Cake. He said that Genoise was just a Biscuit with extra butter added into it. But I always thought that eggs in a Genoise recipe should be beaten whole, not separated, while a Biscuit really needed the beaten separated egg yolks and egg whites. Another friend from Italy agreed with me and said that the Genoise, because the whole eggs were beaten, was moister than Biscuit but also shorter, a little bit denser and absorbed less syrup, because the beaten separated egg whites incorporated more air into the Biscuit batter.

Which statement is true?