Rose's Alpha Bakers for the Bread Bible

Our bakeware and cookbooks sale is still in progress. Contact: Woody at woody321@ptd.com for him to email you the information.

Bull's Eye: My New Fagor Induction Portable Burner and Anolon Skillet!

May 13, 2017 | From the kitchen of Rose

FAGOR.jpg

I entered a contest on Bonnie Tandy LeBlang's uber informative website Bite of the Best. (She regularly runs contests for equipment and anyone can enter.) In order to enter, it was required to write how the induction burner would be used. My entry stated that it would be ideal for making lemon curd, without having to use a double boiler, because it controls the heat so evenly and the sides of the pan don't heat nearly as much.

For many months, I read emails of other entries saying they would use it for stir frying and other more commonly used techniques in cooking, so I thought I didn't stand much of a chance with my more esoteric lemon curd idea. But low and behold, and to my delight, my entry was the winner!

This cooktop is so well designed and easy to use. One can select a specific temperature, or press one of the buttons to choose equally precise and intuitive settings such as simmer, boil, rapid boil, sear, brown, or stir fry and the corresponding temperature will appear on the readout. And when changing settings it responds instantly.

15" Induction Cooktop with 1 Burner Finish: Desert Sand

I'm using the Fagor induction burner for a lot more than an occasional lemon curd. For example, it makes a perfect over easy egg in my new Analon Nouvelle Copper pan. Not only is the pan induction friendly, it has a copper core, is nonstick, even can be used with metal utensils, and is oven safe up to 500°F/260°C. This 8.5 inch french style skillet will be my go to every day pan for small items. I am tempted to get the 10 inch one as well!

Anolon 82525 Nouvelle Copper Hard Anodized Nonstick Open Skillets, 8-Inch and 10-Inch, Twin Pack

Comments

8" is great. 10" is perfect. The slim one I had was only 4" and my original Waring was 6". I have a cusimax now and I think is 8"

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from hector
05/26/2017 05:29 PM

Hector, i think my Fagor is around 8" but i'll know for sure when the replacement model arrives. my Burton pro model is 10-5/8".

i haven't experienced any hot spots but when i'm reducing liquid the lowest setting which is about 140˚F is not low enough to keep it from bubbling up off and on. CharlesT wrote that his Burton induction goes down to a much lower temperature which tempted me to get that model immediately but since i can just use the pilot light of my Wolf set at 120˚F i resisted!

I haven't experienced any of the problems you describe. I've found that low power operation works exceptionally well. But I only use high quality cookware, such as All-Clad.

boil some water and see where the bubbles are made on the center diameter of the pot, that is the active induction heating area.

i have gone thru several of these portable induction cooktops for near 10 years, and adore them, and always use them. I like the fact that it only heats the bottom of the pot, when heating up sugar to make caramel, it is a God sent!

as far as i know, and you can test this yourself, when using a lower power or temperature, all it does is turn on and off in cycles. you can hear it. it doesn't really give you a lower flame such as gas would. most electric stoves do the same, although not as drastic as the induction stove does.

if you have a highly responsive cookware, such as magnetic steel, it will give you a burn spot on the low setting. if you are using cast iron, since cast iron has a huge temperature retention/stable, it won't.

i really DON'T think induction is great for simmering, scalding milk, or melting chocolate, the short blasts of power will burn. A heavy cast iron pot will help, however, since induction and cast iron works so instantly together, you still get that nasty spot. in fact, most of my cookware have a burn mark spot or water pits, right where the induction element was!

QUESTION: what is the diameter of the active induction element on you FAGOR? 4 inches, 6 inches, or wider? It is extremely important for me. Most are usually 6 inches, but recently i purchased a slim line induction stove, and it was so pretty to look at and space saving, but the active diameter was only 4 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it worked perfectly for my bialetti stainless moka pot, but not for anything else.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from CharlesT
05/15/2017 03:38 PM

thanks Charles. this is great to know. i have the burton professional and love it but the lowest it gets is 140˚F which is not quite low enough for gentle simmering of some things. sorry i have to remove the link though because we don't normally allow links except on the forums so i don't want other people to get the idea that it's ok to add links but i do appreciate the info.

It's the "Max Burton 6200 Maxi-Matic Deluxe 1800-Watt Induction Cooktop, Black".

It's also pretty inexpensive. I note that I bought it about five years ago, when it was $5 more expensive, but still vastly less expensive that competing products.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum in reply to comment from CharlesT
05/15/2017 12:33 PM

that's awesome Charles. what is the name of the manufacturer or model? just curious because i have no excuse to get it since i have a wolf range with pilot light, set so that does not exceed 120˚F so i can set a whole block of chocolate in it overnight and it will be melted by moring!

I know that the burners can only measure the exterior of the pan, not the interior, so it can't be totally accurate. But my burner can be set to 100 degrees F, so there's a comfortable margin for error.

If I had gotten this feature on my cooktop, I don't know whether it could have been set this low or not.

Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose Levy Beranbaum
05/15/2017 10:12 AM

Charles, i have found that the specific temperature i set is only an approximate indication. my two induction burners only go down to 140˚F though i know some go down to 120˚F but if you have a point and shoot aka infrared thermometer double check as chocolate loses quality if over 122˚F (i'm sure you know that).

I now have an induction cooktop, but before I took that plunge, I purchased an induction burner like the one you got. One feature that I liked, which I didn't get on my cooktop, is the ability to set a specific temperature. I found it useful for melting chocolate.

One thought that I had was: why bother getting a cooktop, just buy four (or more!) of these induction burners for a fraction of the price? In the end, I shied away from doing something so radical, but I still think it sounds more practical in many ways.