How to Keep Liquid from Exploding in the Microwave

IMG_3740.jpgHas it ever happened to you when reducing/concentrating liquid in the microwave: Suddenly you hear a loud blast, open the microwave oven door, and find that most of the liquid has spattered all over the walls, ceiling, and base of the oven. It's been happening to me once too often since I've moved from an apartment building in New York City to a house in the country. So I finally had to get to the bottom of the problem. Essentially the problem is that a high powdered microwave will have more power in a private home than in a building where many people are using electricity for various appliances. The solution turned out to be so simple: Set the microwave at lower power. My microwave at high power is over 1000 watts so I set it at medium power which is 550 watts. It took longer to concentrate the juices but they didn't bubble over or explode. Other Tips: Always use a container much larger than the liquid. Spray it with nonstick cooking spray, and that will ensure that the liquid will not bubble over the top. Stir the liquid often while reducing it. If you have a scale that allows you to turn off the automatic shutoff, you can use weight instead of volume to reduce liquids. For example, tare out (remove) the weight of the container, and add the liquid. If it is 100 grams and you want to reduce it by half, then as it thickens you can weigh the container and continue reducing until it is 50 grams.