Maya Ferrante, winner of the 2016 Gramercy Tavern In-House Pie Contest, generously sent us her recipe which will be featured on the menu: This is just in time for you to make for the holidays! Pecan Cookie Crust Ladyfinger Cookies: 100 grams/3.5 ounces Granulated Sugar: 25 grams/2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt: 1/4 teaspoon Pecans Halves: 125 grams/1-1/4 cups Unsalted Butter, melted: 57 grams/4 Tablespoons
1. Grind ladyfingers, granulated sugar and kosher salt in food processor until ladyfingers are fine crumbs.
2. Add pecan pieces and pulse until mixture is homogenous. 3. Add melted butter and pulse until incorporated evenly. 4. Pour mixture into 9.5-inch pie pan and press into pan to form even crust. 5. Freeze until solid, about 15 minutes 6. Bake at 375°F for about 12-14 minutes until lightly browned. Cool before filling with custard. Buttermilk Coconut Custard Filling Large Eggs (3): 150 grams/3 Tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon (47 ml) Granulated Sugar: 166 grams/2/3 cup Bleached all-Purpose Flour: 23 grams/3 Tablespoons Coconut Cream: 190 grams/3/4 cup Buttermilk: 484 grams/2 cups Vanilla Extract: 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt: pinch Flake Coconut, unsweetened: 170 grams/2 cups Flake Coconut, sweetened: 64 grams/3/4 cup
1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, granulated sugar and flour together. Add coconut cream, buttermilk, vanilla extract and salt and mix thoroughly.
2. Stir in both coconut flakes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. 3. Pour into cooled pie shell. 4. Bake at 350°F until custard is set, about 30-35 minutes. 5. Cool thoroughly before topping with Date Cream Date Cream
Heavy Cream: 464 grams/2 cups
Medjool Dates, pitted, cut in half: 113 grams/4 ounces/1 cup less 1-1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Chips, unsweetened: 1-1/2 cups Whipped Cream Stabilizer: 1 teaspoon
1. Place heavy cream, medjool dates and coconut chips into sauce pan and warm to a slight simmer for about 20 minutes. Cream should have slight notes of coconut and be gently sweetened with coconut.
2. Pass through chinois and chill cream. 3. Once cream is cool, add whipped cream stabilizer and whip to very soft peaks. Garnish Toasted Coconut Chips: 3/4 cup