10 of 21
Welcome to the Forum
Posted: 08 December 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Thank you Bill.  I am going to start with sample 6” cakes from TCB with different fillings for the couple to taste and choose their favorites,  then I will begin practice decorating on small cakes.  I volunteer at a VA hospital and nursing home so I know the staff will be thrilled eating all the ‘practice’ cakes.  I am recuperating from surgery for a few weeks, so I am reading everything I can on this sight, and reading TCB like it was a study book.  I’m already losing sleep with worry it will all go well, so I better get it all down pat and get some solid sleep before July!! smile I’ll keep you posted.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 08 December 2009 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Welcome Montanamom!  A few people on the forum have done some wedding cake tastings so I’m sure you’ll learn a lot from reading their posts.  There are some gorgeous wedding cakes in Rose’s new book Rose’s Heavenly Cakes - don’t forget to check them out.  There are lots of really experienced wedding cake makers who, I’m sure, will help you as you go.

Posted: 08 December 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Thank you for the tip on other tastings, I’ve already started looking and have some great ideas.  I ordered Roses Heavenly Cakes today so I’ll add to my arsenal!

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 08 December 2009 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-11-21

smile Welcome to you montanamom,Im new to the forum,and Iv’e already recieved help.One of my favorite songs since I was young is The black hills of Dakota,a truly beautiful song.Must be a truly beautiful place,and yes the folk on the forum are wonderful and giving

Posted: 13 December 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-13

Hi everyone!
I live in Arizona - I’m new here and am really enjoying reading through all of the posts.
I’ve been baking for quite a while and have recently taken a beginner cake decorating course from my local
community college for fun.
I love my new cookbook Rose’s Heavenly Cakes - I’ve made the Spice cake with peanut butter frosting (divine!)
and the Grand Marnier Wedding Cake (loved it - my favorite cake, I think!). I still refer to The Cake Bible, too, it’s a wonderful
reference.
Glad to be here, I look forward to learning from you all.  grin

Posted: 13 December 2009 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-11-21

welcome ganache 68 .This is a great website,im a new addition here also,I have Just recieved my RHC book.I havent had time to make anything yet as Im making some gingerbread houses for my grandchildren.Have a happy christmas and again welcome to you from aussie land

Posted: 06 January 2010 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-01-06

Dear Rose,
I am a new member of your wonderful, informative website and I just want to thank you for creating such a wonderful platform.
Your website, just like your channel on YouTube is, in one word, addictive. I just cannot tear myself away from it all.
I love baking and trying out new recipes.
I am based out of India, and most of the time, i find myself struggling to procure some of the ingredients that aren’t readily available here. Even getting the most basic ingredient like flour, becomes a little difficult since we don’t have many different kinds of flour available. The most commonly available flour here is the regular milled flour called atta (which has a higher content of bran) which is used for most of our cooking, which is mainly unleavened breads. The other commonly available flour is a finely milled flour, called maida, which is what I mostly use for baking. There is no way for me to know whether the flour is bleached/ unbleached. What would be the best ‘cake flour’, what can i use in place of ‘all purpose flour’ etc.
It’s very frustrating. I’m certain this affects the final output. Is there any help you can offer on this?

I’m certain there must be some specialty stores which stock imported flours but i haven’t found any yet and even if i do, it’s probably going to be prohibitively expensive. (I’m a student, working part time to support myself)

Secondly, I have an electric oven, with heating coils on both the top and bottom. While trying to bake your Downy Yellow Butter Cake, which requires baking both the cakes together, the top cake crust tends to brown more than the one at the bottom. I’m hesitant to open the oven midway between baking to switch their positions, because I’m afraid that will affect the baking. What can i do to stop this? Will covering the top cake tin with aluminum foil help in any way?
I don’t have any of your books yet, but I’ve ordered them and they would take a while to be shipped. I’m certain a lot of questions would get answered once i read your books, but i wanted to bake the cake for one of my dearest friend’s Mom’s birthday, which is next week (The books will not be in by that time).

Please help me.

Jheenie

Posted: 06 January 2010 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Welcome to the forum, Jheenie!! It’s wonderful that you’ve found such interest in baking and that you’ve decided to join our forum. All of our members are great fans of Rose’s work, and it seems that you are, too!

Since time is of the essence in regards to your current baking project, I’m going to suggest that you put your question directly to Rose on her blog at this url: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/05/cake_questions_three.html
She visits the forum but not as frequently as the blog, which is where she answers questions like yours. Scroll to the very bottom of that web page, and you’ll find a comment box.

The forum is where members help each other and share joys, triumphs and occasional baking disasters. I’m sure that you will get advice from forum members, because there are many talented bakers who visit regularly and are generous with their help. But I’m also sure Rose would love to help in whatever way she can. For instance, she could tell you right away if and when you can shift the position of the two cakes carefully without damaging the structure.

I’ll just mention for now that I’ve often seen advice on the blog and the forum that batter for the second layer can be placed in the prepared pan and refrigerated, while the first layer is cooking. You might get slightly less height, but nothing to worry about. I would certainly do that in preference to covering your layers with aluminum foil.

Good luck with your project! We look forward to hearing more about your baking, and helping when we can.

Posted: 07 January 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-01-06

Thank you Carolita!! smile
For the warm welcome as well as for the link for posting the question directly to Rose’s Blog. I shall do that right away!! Thanks also for suggesting the possibility of refrigerating the batter for the second cake while the first is baking. That definitely seems a better option than baking with the top covered with aluminum foil.

Hope to get some good advice from the members on this.
This blog and forum is so much fun. There’s so much to learn here smile And everyone is so helpful and generous with their advice. I automatically feel reassured.

I recently baked my very first apple pie and it turned out quite all right. I had used Granny Smith apples, and though they were great for cooking, the pie tasted a little too tart on its own (though I balanced that by serving the pie with Vanilla ice cream). I would’ve preferred the apples to be a little more sweet than tart, so this time I’m thinking I will use more than one variety of apples. Do you think Red Delicious will work well with Granny Smith?

I also faced a problem with the pie crust. It wasn’t as crisp/brown as i would have liked it to be. Read the blog for advice on how to get a perfect pie crust and saw Rose’s video on the same as well.

I probably need a new pie dish. I have a metal one, with a removable bottom which doesn’t have holes in it. And because of the heating coils at the bottom of the oven, I can’t bake the pie directly on the floor of the oven.

I’m going to look for a glass dish tomorrow. Hopefully I should find one to my liking.

Can’t wait to try the pie again… as well as the cake. Will keep you posted on the progress.

smile

Posted: 07 January 2010 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

You’re very welcome, Jheenie! As you try different recipes and strategies, please do post your questions and comments. Sharing is what we’re all about.

I invite you to click on the Forum link to the right of Rose’s picture or the “Forum Home” link just above the top post in any thread. Either of those will take you to a page that shows all the forum sections where you can post. Your ideas and questions about pie, for example, would get lots of response in the Pie and Pastry Q & A.

Read the descriptions beneath each forum section title. You’ll get the hang of it in no time. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Posted: 08 January 2010 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-04

Hi
I am new alsp amd already have learned so much from reading everyone’s input.  This is great!  I hope to keep honing my baking skills.  Thanks!

Posted: 08 January 2010 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome, 4C4M!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 12 January 2010 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-01-05

Hi!
My name is Gaviota4fly. I love the baking world. Kitchen is my passion! I am so glad to discover this site. I bought TCB and HC and I am totally in love with the recipes and the titles. I am reading all and each one of the recipes and enjoying the books as much as I can. One of my hobbies is to bake cakes for friends and family. I had the opportunity of creating a few wedding cakes, but all of the cakes that I have sold are made with the Puerto Rican pound cake or “PONQUE”. I want to master the recipes from the books to open my boundaries and explore a general community. LOL

Image Attachments
prflag.gif

Posted: 12 January 2010 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Welcome! We are so glad to have you here, and thank you for showing us the Puerto Rican flag. I look forward to hearing more about your baking adventures.

Posted: 13 January 2010 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-01-13

Hi, my name is Leslee but I usual get called Denim on the internet, a friend gave me the name a few years ago and it has stuck since then.  I have a degree in food prep but really I love to bake and cook just about anything.  I have been asked to make a wedding cake for a friend’s daughter’s wedding in May 2010.  I hate to say it but she wants a cake with “Tetris” and crossword puzzles involved so this should be a real challenge for me.

I have worked with fondant once or twice before but that’s it & I haven’t made a cake from scratch in awhile so I am looking forward to this challenge.  Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.  She is looking for a 3 tier cake and is getting a custom made cake topper done.

This is my last cake that I did about 2 years ago.  It is an old Persian style rose cake with Royal Buttercream Icing, Rose Hip Jam mixed with stabilized whipped cream as layer filling, as well as organic rose petals in the filling and sandwiched between the cake layers.

Denim

Image Attachments
rose cake.jpg

10 of 21