11 of 21
Welcome to the Forum
Posted: 13 January 2010 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Welcome Denim! We’ll be more than pleased to help with the wedding cake. We’re interested in that and any other baking you’d like to do! Click on the forum link at the top of the page. You’ll see that there’s a section of the forum devoted entirely to cake questions and answers. You’ll find many threads there about wedding cakes, perhaps with ideas you’ll find useful.

Do you have Rose’s Cake Bible or her newest book, Rose’s Heavenly Cakes? They’re also a wonderful source of designs and strategic information for making wedding cakes. There are lots of other interesting books, but none I’ve found that combine such amazing creativity, useful instruction and complete reliability. They’re like having Rose in the kitchen with you.

Whenever you’re ready, do a post about your project in the Cake Q&A section. Tell us what you’ve discussed so far with the bride and what parameters you’ll be working within. That is, number of servings needed, time of day, etc. And do join in the rest of discussion in any part of the forum at any time. Nice to have you with us.

Posted: 14 January 2010 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-01-13

Thanks for the welcome!

I don’t have Rose’s books as of yet but have got a few others.  I have the bible on order & am waiting for it to come in which is taking forever.

I do have a few ideas and questions so will post them on the wedding cake string.

thanks again, Denim

Posted: 14 January 2010 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-01-06

Carolita!!!
I made my first downy yellow butter cake!!
See how it has turned out!!
I’m so excited… i thought i must share this on the forum

Jheenie

Image Attachments
Photo 51.jpg

Posted: 14 January 2010 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

The crumb texture looks very nice and it has a nice height. Congratulations!

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 14 January 2010 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Yes, well done!! We look forward to seeing more of your baking, Jheenie.

Posted: 15 January 2010 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-06

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!
Kathleen… you found the post!!!
Even though i put it under the wrong thread (which i realized later… in my excitement to show it to Carolita on this thread, i didn’t notice that there was a ‘show and tell’ as well).
I used 2/3 of the recipe to make each of my cakes because I only had 2” high pans. But while baking the crust split a little around the side when the cake was rising… all though it tasted just fine. I don’t know why that happened.
And the best part about this whole episode…literally the cherry on the icing on the cake….... I got my copy of the Cake Bible!! Yay!! smile

Posted: 15 January 2010 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Jheenie, congratulations on producing a beautiful downy yellow cake!  Your crumb looks perfect.  Have fun with the Cake Bible.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 January 2010 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-06

Thank You Julie!!
I’m already planning what cake to bake next smile
There are so many to choose from!!!
As such i’m bad at making up my mind…this makes it worse…

Posted: 16 January 2010 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Have fun! Your cake looks great—and I enjoyed seeing the knitting in the background, too. (I am a knitter though somehow I have never gotten around to posting about that on my blog. Maybe one of these days.)

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 16 January 2010 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-06

Thank you Barbara… smile
And yes… there’s a bit of my honey bee sweater showing in the photo (I look like a giant honey bee wearing it). I knit too, all though I’m a beginner of sorts there as well. So far I’ve only knit giant mufflers (because they’re so easy… no increasing or decreasing or complicated patters…just simple straight knitting) I have one that falls below my knees, which is also the first one that i knit…and it took me an eternity to finish it. And then I’ve knit some beanies and scarves, but this year I plan to knit my first sweater. I’ve finally mustered enough courage to undertake the project. I’m sure I’ll finish it before the next decade.
I’m also learning how to crochet smile You should definitely post something about your knitting on your blog.
I think it would be great!! smile

And i tried my second cake today from the Cake Bible, the Perfect All American Chocolate Torte and it was terrible :( it rose and then it fell, and my spirits fell with it.
The top crust cracked all around, and the crumb is dense and looks heavy, the sides are too dry.  :( I don’t know what went wrong. I followed the recipe to the T. All though the recipe does say that the final height of the cake would be 1and 3/4” which is how high my cake is, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be this dense. It just doesn’t seem right, all though it’s edible.
So this week’s baking score stands as follows: 1 Hit and 1 Major miss :(

Hoping for a better scorecard next week.

Anyhow, I hope everyone has a great weekend…

Cheers,
Jheenie

Posted: 02 March 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-02

Just wanted to say Hi!

I am a Home Cook that would like to some day go to culinary school.? Maybe 2 years from now once the teenagers are out of the house.? I find that I have to cook or bake? 3 or 4 times a week just to keep the cooking bug at bay.? I look forward to learning from y’all.

Signature 

Click here to receive your FREE report on Silicone Bakeware and Silpat Baking:  http://www.bakewaresilicone.com

Posted: 02 March 2010 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24
Alfred Blaine - 02 March 2010 11:46 PM

Just wanted to say Hi!

I am a Home Cook that would like to some day go to culinary school.? Maybe 2 years from now once the teenagers are out of the house.? I find that I have to cook or bake? 3 or 4 times a week just to keep the cooking bug at bay.? I look forward to learning from y’all.

Welcome Alfred to the forums…it is amazing how much one can learn from hanging out on this forum.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 March 2010 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-03

Greetings all, one of my favorite topics are baking.  I earned certification from the local community college as a French pastry chef and many mysteries were solved for me there under a young Austrian chef. My passion is bread baking as I see yeast as a living entity and love creating with it.  Rose’s cookbooks are all in my really big cookbook library and I use them as textbooks especially when teaching my grandkids to bake and since my school recipes are all quantities out of range for home baking. Currently I have a web site for an online bakery and for 3 years have been very successful with my Gourmet Rum Fruit Cake.  I have just turned 69 and 2009 had 3 hospital stays with a heart attack, bacterial Pneumonia,and a staff infection I got in the hospital after an elective surgery.  As soon as I could I baked!  Baking makes me happy! New challenges keep me interested and my family gets happy when I head for the kitchen. They know something good is coming! Maybe I can answer some questions for new bakers, and certainly I am always learning something new. My husband is diabetic so interested in recipes he can enjoy. I am blessed with a great husband of over 47 years, 4 daughters, one son, 16 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. I hope to live until I’m at least 90 to see how they all turn out. lol

Posted: 03 March 2010 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Welcome to the forum, pastrybiz. You certainly have faced some health challenges in the last little while. So glad to hear that you’re back in the kitchen facing challenges that are a lot more fun for all concerned! We look forward to hearing about your baking projects and sharing ours with you.

Posted: 24 March 2010 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-03-24

Hello, I’m new here.  grin 

I’m from Australia and have just discovered Rose and made my first cake from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.  I made the Double Chocolate Valentine’s cake and it was just beautiful.  I wanted to try out some of Rose’s recipes before I purchase the book and I’m so lucky that I found this one.  (I did watch the video and found it very good also.)  I’m fussy about chocolate cakes as many are either too sweet or too rich but this one was just right!  (A little bit like the Goldilocks and the three bears story.)  What I like about the recipe was how easy it was to make and I love not having to cream the butter and sugar.  My family loved it too!

One thing I would like to know about the book is does the book have the weights of ingredients listed?  I often find it hard to convert recipes from the US or UK as our measurements are different here.  I have found some sites online that help but it would be handy if the measurements were listed in the recipe. 

Thank you Rose for your wonderful knowledge that you pass on to everyone.  grin

11 of 21