12 of 20
Welcome to the Forum
Posted: 24 March 2010 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Welcome Anzac! You’ll be pleased to learn that all of Rose’s books give measurements in both volume and weight. For the weights, there are two columns - one metric and one in lb. and oz.

Posted: 25 March 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-23

Hello, everyone!  I am new to the site and to baking.  I became unemployed late last year and found myself watching a lot of Food shows and getting very interested in baking. 

A few months ago, my sister had a baby shower and went to order a cake from a lady in her town that had been doing it for over 30 years.  We always thought she had the best cakes and no others could ever seem to compare. Unfortunately, the lady now has carpal tunnel syndrome and has had to retire from baking.  We settled for a cake purchased at a locally owned bakery and were so disappointed!  The cake was dry and the frosting was WAY too sweet.  It tasted like we were eating a chocolate glazed doughnut.  This prompted me to start researching and watching even more shows to try to find the perfect recipe to be able to recreate the wonderful cakes the now retired cake lady had been providing us for so long. 

To my chagrin, every recipe I tried was dry, crumbly and many times inedible.  I was about to give up and then came across the post of Rose’s Favorite Yellow Cake recipe.  I figured why not, it wouldn’t be the first cake that disappointed.  The method of mixing seemed completely foreign and I just new this was going to be another cake that was meant to feed my garbage disposal. No creaming the butter and sugar?? That can’t be right!!  Well, I figured…what the heck, I’ll try anything once!  I can not stress enough how WRONG I WAS!  This was so light, so tender, so moist! It was better than the famous cake ladies! I immediately started searching to see if I could find other recipes posted online.  Then I learned about “The Cake Bible”.  I searched online found it for sale, but didn’t want to wait a week to get it.  I went out yesterday and purchased the book from the bookstore.  It was worth every penny! I have only attempted 2 of the recipes and they were both heavenly!  I will never purchase another bakery cake or box mix again!  I look forward to learning from everyone on this site and tasting many rewarding treats in the future!

Posted: 26 March 2010 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-03-24
Carolita - 24 March 2010 02:19 PM

Welcome Anzac! You’ll be pleased to learn that all of Rose’s books give measurements in both volume and weight. For the weights, there are two columns - one metric and one in lb. and oz.

Thank you Carolita, that is good news.  I have ordered a copy of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, now I will just have to sit and wait until it arrives.

Posted: 26 March 2010 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome, love2bake and Anzac!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 26 March 2010 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Anzac and love2bake, welcome to the forum! smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 April 2010 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-04-02

Hi everyone, new to this and excited to join in! Love to cook but especially bake. I made Easter Bread yesterday and plan on making a Ricotta- Mascarpone cheesecake tomorrow. I enjoy changing recipes around and improving my skills by always learning something new. cheese

Posted: 02 April 2010 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome Denise!  You will love it here if you like baking, lots of tips and help with problems!  Enjoy! grin

Posted: 09 April 2010 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-03-24

Hi again everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. grin

I received my RHC book yesterday (Yippee!) and can’t wait to try out the recipes.  I have been very busy working and haven’t had time to read much of the book but I’ve managed to flick through and oooh and ahhh at most of the pictures.  What a beautifully photographed book, I now know why it’s called Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.. They look amazing!

While I was waiting for the book to arrive I managed to loan out a copy of the Cake Bible from my local library.  Over Easter I made the Golden Almond Cake and added some orange rind as one of my guests loves orange cake.  I made some cream cheese frosting with a touch of lemon.  Everyone loved it, it was a big success.

Now for the big decision.. What to make first?  Lol.

Posted: 22 April 2010 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-04-22

Hello everybody, my name is Jason. 

I’m happy to find such a great forum to post in for baking.  I have been baking since I was a teenager and am now just taking a couple of classes at my local community college on baking.  I live in Jersey (the northern part) and have been here all my life. 

If anyone has any suggestions of classes or baking events in my state, please let me know.  I’m always looking to better my skill at baking.  It seems there is more classes on cooking than there are on baking.

Signature 

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.  ~Author Unknown

Posted: 22 April 2010 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Welcome, Jason! I’m sorry that I can’t advise on classes and workshops in your state, but I’m sure that other forum members will be able to help. There would be a great deal of training available in NY too, if you’re able to travel.

When I was first looking for training, I found it very hard too to locate opportunities nearby. The main problem for me was not knowing the language for what I sought. Try including the word patisserie or pastry in your google searches, if your interest tends to cakes and fancy pastries. One site you might like to check out is the pastry and baking forum at egullet.org. Here’s their index to links about education, employment, staging. It says for teenagers but applies to anyone. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/71249-pastry-school-your-teenager/
For artisan bread and other yeasted baked goods, check out the links and post your query at thefreshloaf.com.

From those sites, you can wander off to the various schools and institutes that offer training. Most of them include short-term training for the enthusiast as well as professional certificate programs. Also, be sure to ask your teachers at the community college for suggestions to further your skills. Nothing thrills a teacher more than to find students who share their enthusiasm and passion.

Posted: 21 May 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!  I’ve posted a few questions and replies, but never actually said hello. 

Hello!

I live in Charlotte, NC and although I have always enjoyed baking, I was never really a cake person until last March (2009), when my boss made me a layer cake!  No one had ever done that for me before, and I was so taken, that I have become obsessed with cakes since then, and I’ve had such a wonderful time making layer cakes and other goodies for my fellow co-workers’ birthdays and other smaller events.  This boss (now ex-boss, as she now works elsewhere) and I have become sisters in cakes and send baking samples along to each other whenever we make them.

Of Rose’s cakes, I’ve made the Gateau Breton, the Devil’s Food Cake with Midnight Ganache, the White Velvet Cake and the Sour Cream Lemon Poppyseed Cake, but I’m looking forward to making more soon.  One thing I’ve noticed, and this is so rare, is that the cakes are so delicious, the frosting is truly optional!  I usually make some extra batter and bake it in mini bread pans and then slice and freeze unfrosted for treats.  Magnificient!

My nickname stands for Rose the Old English Sheepdog, which is an old and beloved (now passed) sheepdog of ours.

Happy baking, everyone, and thanks in advance for all of the great thoughts, advise and inspiration!!

Anne

Posted: 21 May 2010 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome, Anne!  Nice to get to know you.  Would love to see some pics if you’re up for it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 21 May 2010 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie! I’ll have to start taking them!  I only have one pic, but it’s a Bon Appetit cake from last October (but it was YUMMMY).  I hadn’t even heard of Rose then!!!!  Imagine!  42 years and no Rose!  It’s too sad!

Posted: 26 May 2010 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-05-23

Hi everyone,

I just want to say that I really appreciate Rose Levy for sharing her wealth of information and for all of the other contributors of this site.

What can I say. I love to eat (my stomach size will attest to this fact) and I love to eat ALL of the things that are wrong for me.

If I must say so, I do make one heck of a NYC style pizza smile when you consider I live in a third world country. I love the little yeasties and what they can do to flour, water, salt and a little oil.

In a few months I hope to build a brick oven for the true 750+ temp range and also for some decent Artisan bread as well.

Right now I am mixer-less so I have to keep things simple. I’m in a new drier cooler climate and have less than stellar ingredients to work with so I have had several failed Strawberry muffin attempts. I’d make blueberry muffins but blueberries are as plentiful as the gigantic Italian White Alba truffles are in Antarctica.

I’ve had some excellent advice from Julie that I am going to put to the test here very soon.

I’m a musician (so there’s art in my cooking) and an engineer so there’s an analytical / chemistry / physics slant to my methods as well. I like to know why things happen and I like to understand the process well enough so that I can make adjustments when something is not going right.

I’m here to learn. My Holy Grail is to make Cherry Turnovers as well as my old guitar playing friend’s mother did in her little kitchen way back in the 70’s in New Jersey. She had the perfect layered dough.

I wish everyone well and happy baking wink

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Happy baking to you, too!  I’m new also, and I’ve really enjoyed the forum—being able to ask and sometimes answer a question and see everyones beautiful work is a real joy.

Your pizza and the thought of those cherry turnovres are making me hungry!

You will have to include interesting tidbits about the country you live in and how things differ from other places you’ve lived.  It’s always so fascinating!  Even here in the states—I am from PA, and I moved to NM (in NC now), and I was amazed that there were very few pretzel selections, but there were many, many more corn chip selections. And there were 5lb buckets of lard.  And the tripe in the meat counter was chopped, sliced, rolled—everything!  But you couldn’t get a decent salami! 

Oddly enough, they had one of the best Italian restaurants I’ve ever been to, though.  In PA, in one Italian restaurant, the waitresses still have beehive hairdos and call you honey.  I love it!

12 of 20