4 of 21
Welcome to the Forum
Posted: 08 April 2008 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-08

Hi Everyone! I’m Joan from Syracuse and I was very excited when I found Rose’s newsletter, blog and forum. I figure if I have any baking questions, then this is the place to ask them. I have always loved to bake and prepare desserts, so I look forward to learning many new things with everyone here. BTW does anyone have any special cakes, desserts or dishes that they love to prepare for Passover? I am trying to finalize my planning so that I can start to bake and cook next week, since I will be having 18 people for the first seder. Any suggestions? I look forward to hearing all of your suggestions.

~Joan~

Posted: 09 April 2008 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

In rose’s book there is an amazing dense chocolate cake…I don’t think I’m going to get the name exactly right…but it is the chocolate oblivion truffle torte…or something like that.  It is amazing!!!!!  (It is dairy, however, so if you all are Kosher, it won’t work with the seder…but it is delicious).  Perhaps, if you can find a dark chocolate that is Pareve you can use (heaven forbid) Margarine.  If you are serving it with a meat meal…you won’t have a choice.

Posted: 09 April 2008 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

Bill, thanks for the suggestion of Rose’s Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte. It looks like a perfect recipe for Passover, but as you mentioned I will be serving a meat meal for the seder and need something that doesn’t contain dairy ingredients. I thought about substituting margarine for the butter, BUT stick margarine that is kosher for Passover is NOT available in the Syracuse area this year! Do you think that I can substitute Hollywood Sunflower oil for the butter? If so, how much? Without stick margarine I will have to cut out many of my chocolate recipes for Passover this year. Suggestions are welcome as the holiday draws closer.

Thanks again.
~Joan~

Posted: 11 April 2008 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

sorry for the delay in answering…I don’t get to the computer every day…I don’t know if oil will work…I’m not even sure margarine will work…but at least it is somewhat solid at cool room temperature.  Oil is a liquid at most room and refrigerated temperatures, and i don’t know how it will affect the texture of the cake.  You’re on your own here.  As far as margarine in a tub…I know it doesn’t cook the same as margarine in a stick and i know it burns fairly easily…so ... good luck.

Bill

Posted: 12 April 2008 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

Bill thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ve been told that using 3/4 cup of oil in place of 1 cup of margarine or butter should work. I’m just a little leary about the consistency of some baked items. Suggestions for kosher for Passover parve baked desserts are very welcome.

Posted: 08 June 2008 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-08

Hey everyone. My name is Mike, i am from pittsburgh Pa and i am new to the site.  I am a full time baker that very seldom gets to sleep, haha but what can i say i love making desserts, and the hours for that are the times when i would sleep so what can ya do. I take baking very serious and strive to be as professional as possible every time that spatula is in my hand. I look forward to sharing and contributing.
~Mike

Posted: 08 June 2008 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome Mike!  I can’t wait to see photos of you wonderful creations!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 June 2008 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Welcome, Mike! Ditto, I’d love to see more pictures—that chocolate cake picture you’re using for your avatar is just gorgeous and is provoking chocolate cravings even as I type…

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 11 September 2008 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-10

HOWDY!!  smile smile smile

............I am Biscuits, or Jimmy, and am an aspiring baker, preparing to start my own business. I grew up with the cake bible, and I would spend hours going through the wealth of information in the ingredient glossary. It has been close to 20 years since my mom first bought the cake bible, and though I rarely make desserts, I took what I learned from the ingredient information, and baking science hints and applied them to my baking.
............I am best known for my biscuits, and I am preparing for an all out baking extravaganza to get a number of first drafts under my belt and get feedback on some variations I have been waiting to try on my main recipe.
............Though I can’t share my main recipe, I look forward to trying, learning, and sharing other recipes with members of the forum. I have enjoyed what I have read so far, and believe that my growth as a baker will greatly be aided by the input and exchange that happens here. Hope to purchase the bread bible by the end of september, and later replace the old cake bible.  (the art deco was one of my favorite pictures. Such a dark,rich cake, and intriguing design!! )

.........Years ago, I was caught off-guard by how passionate people can be about what I make. So the challenge is to try things out and ultimately have great results on new experiments. I want the first and last tasting to be moments to enjoy with relish.
...........Looking forward to sharing a passion for food!          smile  Jimmy (Biscuits) smile

...........In the attached picture, I have a picture of some of my biscuits from a family function.

(I had to edit the picture for size) I hope the pics come out alright. I changed the format. What picture format works best?  .gif ?

On the left are my original biscuits. The other two are variations on this.
In the middle are some lemon-pepper biscuits, baked in mini fluted cups (a lot of work to clean all those flutes LOL smile  )
On the right are two pans of my carrot raisin biscuits. They are one of the all-time favorites by family and friends

Image Attachments
biscuits for niece's dedication2.GIFlemon pepper.GIFcarrot raisin.GIF
 Signature 

Try something new, enjoy something familiar. There is a range of joys to explore through creating good food. Plus victories, small and large

Posted: 11 September 2008 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Yummeola!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 September 2008 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-09-18

Hello everyone!  I was so excited to ‘stumble’ across your site, Rose.  I am calling you Rose since I feel as if I know you through your fabulous books.  I’ve been a fan since the day I purchased the Cake Bible.  I have been home baking for 34 years and thought I was pretty good at breads, having baked all our bread since the day I got married and having a ridiculously extensive library of bread baking books….BUT….I recently purchased your Bread Bible and…..MY GOODNESS!!  I now officially feel like a pro!  My entire family is reeling.  I am working my way through the book and I have to say each and every loaf has been fantastic.

I am SO looking forward to learning even more through this site.  Thanks so much! grin

Posted: 17 February 2009 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-02-17

Hello!
i am new to this site but already LOVE IT!!!
thanks

Posted: 18 February 2009 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18

LUV2Bake:
  Good morning. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you today as well. I know you will enjoy being a member.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 18 February 2009 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome luv2bake!!!  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 March 2009 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-03-03

hello evryone..

i am ellyssa from malaysia.. i just found this amazing forum !! i am looking forward to share and gain more knowledge from this forum..Thanks :D

http://drezqi.blogspot.com

Signature 

do visit my blog
http://drezqi.blogspot.com

4 of 21